EVGA Customer Service failure - FTW3 2080 Super

Author
brentsg
Superclocked Member
  • Total Posts : 197
  • Reward points : 0
  • Ribbons : 0
2019/09/15 13:38:29 (permalink)
I received a DOA 2080 Super and called EVGA immediately (same day).  EVGA immediately issued an RMA for replacement.

The RMA was issued on 8/28.  There was no stock so it took until 9/10 to receive a replacement card.  I was not present to install the card until 9/14 at which point I had to again call EVGA because this card does not work either.  I can swap in a 2080 Ti, Nvidia 2080 Super, or my 1080 Ti everything works great.  The tech support agent indicated that it's likely some firmware issue and would be difficult and lengthy to troubleshoot, so he gave me the option of that or a refund.  I chose a refund because I do not have the cycles for it and it's my work machine.  That was yesterday.

Today Customer Service wants to deny the refund because it's been longer than 14 days.  They also cited a 15% restocking fee if one is somehow approved.  This is absolutely abysmal customer service.  

Everything else aside it's ridiculous to cling to "14 days" when I've only had a card in my hands for 6 in total.  

Is this going to take a Paypal / credit card company fight for real?  Honestly my profile page has 4 pages of EVGA video cards and motherboards.  I've come to expect better.

11 Replies Related Threads

the_Scarlet_one
    formerly Scarlet-tech
    • Total Posts : 24581
    • Ribbons : 79
    Re: EVGA Customer Service failure - FTW3 2080 Super 2019/09/15 15:20:06 (permalink)
    Unfortunately you would need to take this up with EVGA directly. I suggest utilizing email as much as possible so that you have the paper trail that you can trace and you would be able to provide details from prior conversations.

The forums are mostly user based, and it is a weekend, so most of the EVGA techs are out of office right now. I will forward your concerns up and hopefully one of the techs can give you a hand.
    brentsg
    Superclocked Member
    Re: EVGA Customer Service failure - FTW3 2080 Super 2019/09/15 15:57:31 (permalink)
    Thanks I’m in process, just added here for visibility. They are sending a shipping label but sticking to the restocking fee unless they reproduce this.

Since the best fix is swapping in a reference 2080 Super, that feels like holding me responsible for their firmware and troubleshooting.

I’d add that I promptly sent the first card back so they could test it but I don’t think that happened.

Life won’t come to a halt if they keep my hundred bucks but it’s going to cost them a lot more than that in the long run. EVGA has never had the best hardware, but they always delivered on customer service. Without that, I don’t personally see a reason to buy.

Thank you for the reply anyways.
    brentsg
    Superclocked Member
    Re: EVGA Customer Service failure - FTW3 2080 Super 2019/09/15 19:36:40 (permalink)
    Well tech support told me that I was getting a refund, then customer service fought me on that.

Then tech support called and one of the things they specifically told me is that they were sending me a shipping label. Well that didn’t happen either. I’ve been asked to cover shipping as well.

EVGA is a mess if this is any indication. I’ve opened a PayPal dispute.
    mstrMX
    • Total Posts : 2
    Re: EVGA Customer Service failure - FTW3 2080 Super 2019/09/16 04:55:43 (permalink)
    I am currently doing an RMA on 1080ti FTW3 Black Edition that died 8 months after it was bought so I can related but I haven't had an issue with RMA yet, we shall see however. I would say that your best case scenario is to call and ask for a manager or someone and explain your situation, it is always better to call then email back and forth. Next step, however, is paypal dispute 

My RIG i5 2500K, 8GB 1866mghz RAM, EVGA GTX 680 2GB 1.3Ghz/7Ghz, ASUS Sabertooth P67, 128GB Crucial 4, Weloceraptor WD 750 GB HDD, Noctua Nh C-14, ThermalTAke Level 10 GT, LED light everywhere
    brentsg
    Superclocked Member
    Re: EVGA Customer Service failure - FTW3 2080 Super 2019/09/16 11:09:57 (permalink)
    Yeah I've spoken with them several times, in addition to the e-mails.

The Paypal dispute is open so that's in process.  Depending on how it goes I'll press it further.  Honestly at the beginning I was willing to eat the $100+ to avoid hassle, but after some nonsense I'm ready to dig in for the long haul just on principles.
    EVGATech_AdamB
    FTW Member
    • Total Posts : 1930
    • Ribbons : 4
    Re: EVGA Customer Service failure - FTW3 2080 Super 2019/09/16 11:12:37 (permalink)
    Hello brentsg! I apologize if there was any difficulty with starting your refund request. I do see that you've been having issues with your RTX 2080 Super, which was purchased in August, and then you did a RMA for to have it replaced under warranty, then wanted to go ahead and do a refund for that replacement you received. We go off the original purchase date, not the RMA date for processing refunds, but we did make the exception for you as the original card was 25 days away from the purchase date when you requested a refund. For all refunds, we also do request that you ship to us as shipping is not covered in the refund. But again, we did make an exception and provided you with a prepaid shipping label. That label can take a business day to receive, as the UPS system does not send out those labels during the weekends. I did check and that label was approved, which you should receive around 6PM PST tonight. If you have any further questions, please feel free to contact our customer service team at 1-888-881-3842 or e-mail us at support@evga.com and we are happy to assist.

Like our service? Please provide feedback for us at the link HERE
    Cool GTX
    EVGA Forum Moderator
    • Total Posts : 30996
    • Ribbons : 122
    Re: EVGA Customer Service failure - FTW3 2080 Super 2019/09/16 11:15:43 (permalink)
    moving to Warranty section of Forums

Learn your way around the EVGA Forums, Rules & limits on new accounts Ultimate Self-Starter Thread For New Members

I am a Volunteer Moderator - not an EVGA employee

https://foldingathome.org -->become a citizen scientist and contribute your compute power to help fight global health threats

RTX Project EVGA X99 FTWK Nibbler EVGA X99 Classified EVGA 3080Ti FTW3 Ultra

brentsg
    Superclocked Member
    Re: EVGA Customer Service failure - FTW3 2080 Super 2019/09/17 19:07:00 (permalink)
    I hope that you can understand that basing ANYTHING on the original purchase date is a joke when I had a card like 5-6 of those 25 days. You are holding your customer hostage when it takes you 14 days to provide an RMA replacement. That eats the customer’s 14 days through no fault of their own.

(Edit:  Modified because I checked my records.  I received the RMA card exactly 14 days after I reported the issue and EVGA comitted to provide a second card.  Poof, there goes the 14 day period.)

This is not an exception. This is not helping the customer. In fact it simply hi-lights EVGA failure.

I had a 2080 Ti fail to Space Invaders. I contacted Nvidia and they overnighted a brand new card that same day.

I RMA an EVGA card and you don’t have stock, so the replacement shows up 14 days later. It would have been even longer but you made an exception and sent it 3 day instead of ground. Even so all that would have been fine had the card worked, or had this 14 day clock from original purchase nonsense have been avoided.

Regardless, the card is on the way back to you. I eagerly await being done with this.
    post edited by brentsg - 2019/09/17 20:24:06
    Hoggle
    EVGA Forum Moderator
    • Total Posts : 10102
    • Ribbons : 4
    Re: EVGA Customer Service failure - FTW3 2080 Super 2019/09/17 21:06:33 (permalink)
    It's important to keep in mind this is a rare case of the RMA not having stock and because of that an exception was made. The rules most of the time work but now always and for those at least they do exceptions.

Use an Associates Code & SAVE 5% - 10% on your purchase. Just click on the associates banner to save, or enter the associates code at checkout on your next purchase. If you choose to use my code I want to personally say "Thank You" for using it. 

CptKlink81
    • Total Posts : 23
    • Ribbons : 1
    Re: EVGA Customer Service failure - FTW3 2080 Super 2019/09/18 08:52:37 (permalink)
    Slippery slope this wow. Gotta get on the level of Gigabytes RMA services for me anyways. Any delays or anything on their end they don't count towards 14 day or 30 day or how have many days it is. Like for example they don't count the time it takes them to respond to the RMA request. And they don't count the mailing time to and from. And any slow downs or problems caused by them is also not counted towards the limited time. Most other companys count all days as it counting towards the time frame. Even if the problems are on their end.

CPU: AMD Ryzen 5 1600X @ 4Ghz
    MoBo: MSI B350 Tomahawk
    Cooling: EK A240 Kit
    RAM: G.SKILL Ripjaws V Series DDR4 3200 8GB
    GPU: EVGA GeForce RTX 2070 FTW3 Ultra
    Storage: SAMSUNG 960 EVO 250GB NVMe OS/Seagate SSHD 1TB
    Case: Raijintek Thetis
    PSU: Silverstone Strider 750 Plus 750W

brentsg
    Superclocked Member
    Re: EVGA Customer Service failure - FTW3 2080 Super 2019/09/26 23:15:45 (permalink)
    Hoggle
    It's important to keep in mind this is a rare case of the RMA not having stock and because of that an exception was made. The rules most of the time work but now always and for those at least they do exceptions.

Important to note that communication is key here. In my case it flip flopped based on who I had just talked to. At one point they didn’t want to make a 14 day exception because allegedly they had made a 1 time exception for me in the past. I’ve purchased mostly EVGA cards for 12 years so this is certainly possible. Regardless, the 14 day thing was silly here.

I’m supposed to be receiving a refund soon, I’m just waiting for the funds to transfer then this is all done. I’ll be moving on for sure due to this experience, but wanted to respond regarding outcome. I can’t imagine getting a fair shake regarding a potential future problem after this second “exception”.

I’ve received good support from some of the techs and also via some forum PM’s. Consistency was the real issue here.
    post edited by brentsg - 2019/09/27 11:46:42
    Jump to:
  • Back to Mobile