EVGA CLC360 setup how to

Author
chaoc
  • Total Posts : 1
  • Reward points : 0
  • Ribbons : 0
2021/04/01 18:26:01 (permalink)
Hi
I just setup my 5800x build with an EVGA CLC360. I find very little information is present from the included user manual so I have been googling on this today. I have found good source of info from this forum but there are still some area that I'm unclear of. 

Things I know:
  1. Need to install  flow control windows application to fully manage the cooler.
  2. LED sync software is half broken currently so need to reinstall for each color change
  3. The fan curve top cannot be adjusted and the fans will run at 100% pass 60C
  4. The use cable can be disconnected if you are okay with a preset constant speed
Things I have questions about:

1. Behavior of flow control software crash?
    •  There was an occasion that my computer was idling and all the sudden the fans reached 2400 RPM. I clicked on the flow control software and it is not responsive. So I rebooted the machine and all is back to normal
    • On another test I deliberately closed the flow control software and run AIDA64 FPU stress test. It seems that the MOBO control took over the fan but the max it could set it to is 1600 RPM thinking that's 100%. The CPU_FAN control mode on the MOBO was set to "Auto" meaning it detects if it should be DC or PWM automatically and it seems to think the connected fans should be in DC mode. 
    • So it seems that as a windows application, when flow control inevitably crash at some point, it will either set the fan speed to max or just let MOBO handle it. I wonder if some insider could chime in on if there is a third and terrible possibility that it will just shut down the fans and pumps and fry the CPU when I'm sleeping? 

2. Who has control?
    • I find that with the fan header from the AIO connected to CPU_FAN on MOBO and the USB on heat sink block connected to USB port on MOBO, both seems to have a say in the fans' speed
    • As noted previously, it appears the MOBO can adjust the fan speed up to 1600 RPM. At that point, the MOBO shows the fans are at max speed. However, if I don't close the flow control software, it can be pushed to 2400 RPM. (the change is pretty audible so I know it's true).
    • From the data point I have, I speculate the way it works is:
      1. the fans draw power from CPU_FAN header on MOBO
      2. MOBO is controlling CPU_FAN header voltage since it's in DC mode
      3. flow control software controls the fan speed via PWM signal
      4. So the fan is controlled by both DC(MOBO) and PWM(flow control)) at same time, either can shut it down, but both need to set it to 100% to make it truly 100%.
      5. If the above is true, then it seems the correct thing to do is set MOBO CPU_FAN control profile to DC mode and always 100%. Then let flow control handle the actual speed?
    3. Okay to run fans constantly at 100%?
    • 5800X will be at around 60C alot of the time when it's lightly loaded. I have a unique setup that my machine is at another room that I don't care how loud it is. But will I see significant short life span on the fans if I just leave it alone at 100% all the time(since I can't set the curve to be lower then 100% at 60)
    4. Temp diff between flow control and MOBO 
    • I notice that at idle, flow control shows CPU core at 38C while MOBO reports CPU core at 44C. I'm guessing the flow control is measuring heat sync while MOBO is getting report from the CPU. Is this normal? On the other hand, when I fire up any benchmark that push the CPU beyond 60C, the two reporting becomes consistent. 

I understand thing to do is throw away the fans to install get 6 silent fans and plug all fans to MOBO CPU fan controls while not exceeding 1Amp per fan control. But I purchased this AIO on the basis that if I don't care about noise, this is the most powerful cooling solution with a lowest price on 360. Adding 3 to 6 quality fans would change that value proposition altogether(And I'm sure there are others in the same boat as me).  So at end of the day, the real question I'm exploring is, with the stock setup and ignore noise, can this AIO be used as a long term and stable solution? 

Thanks for any inputs. 

5 Replies Related Threads

EVGATech_AnthonyS
    EVGA Tech Support
    • Total Posts : 149
    Re: EVGA CLC360 setup how to 2021/04/11 06:24:33 (permalink)
    Thanks for reaching out! I think you might find THIS link to be pretty helpful, as it says to not allow the motherboard to set an auto function for the CLC, which is likely why it freezes Flow Control. This should resolve the first 2 points you have in the questions you have. 3rd, you shouldn't see any degradation of lifespan for running the fans at their full potential all the time. Also, the MOBO and Flow Control will typically be different because software will always be less correct than hardware in terms of various readings. This is due to the software being an indirect way of measuring stats while hardware has a direct connection. You can find this when measuring your 12v rail in the motherboard BIOS compared to CPU Z. Hope this clears this up for you!

Like our service? Please provide feedback for us at the link HERE
    Zerhot
    • Total Posts : 100
    Re: EVGA CLC360 setup how to 2021/05/03 08:09:25 (permalink)
    So is this with the cooling liquid or without?
    EVGATech_AnthonyS
    EVGA Tech Support
    • Total Posts : 149
    Re: EVGA CLC360 setup how to 2021/05/03 09:02:36 (permalink)
    This is a closed loop system that comes with the liquid already in the line.

Like our service? Please provide feedback for us at the link HERE
    Johnmon604
    Superclocked Member
    • Total Posts : 104
    Re: EVGA CLC360 setup how to 2021/05/06 00:56:01 (permalink)
    How often does the clc360 go onto b-stock? Saw it a few weeks ago and wonder when it may return.
    FiLiNuX
    • Total Posts : 10
    Re: EVGA CLC360 setup how to 2021/05/11 17:43:38 (permalink)
    I am not sure about how often the 360 CLC goes up on BStock but last week I was able to buy the CLC 360, tax, AND shipping for LESS then $69.00 on EVGA brand new.  As of this mornings "EVGA Tech Talk" on Twitch (Tuesday 11th 2021) Jacob said the 50% off (and 50% extra in EVGA bux) was still working.  I believe it originally went live with the Linus Verified Actual Gamers promotion. 

I honestly did NOT think it was going to work but sure enough 50% and another discount for associate codes.  You can find the 50% code off pretty easily here on the forums I would guess.  Just checked and they have the 280 MM CLC available still.  If you use it make sure to get EVERYTHING you need/want on it first time as its a ONE USE per customer type deal.  

Good luck!  Its a CRAZY good deal!
    Jump to:
  • Back to Mobile