EVGA

AnsweredEVGA CLC 280mm 3-wire/pin cable but ASUS X570-E Gaming mobo has 4-pin connectors???

Author
InfoManWD
  • Total Posts : 1
  • Reward points : 0
  • Ribbons : 0
2021/11/28 22:15:29 (permalink)
I'm installing an "EVGA CLC 280mm All-In-One RGB LED CPU Liquid Cooler" and need to understand which motherboard header should be used to connect the "motherboard" cable coming out of the waterblock.  I have an "ASUS ROG Strix X570-E Gaming" mobo that has a number of 4-pin headers but the cable only has 3 wires and a 3-pin connector.

The fundamental question here is should a 3-pin connector for the waterblock be connected into a 4-pin connector on the motherboard?

If that is a proper type of connection, then which 4-pin connector should be selected ... CPU_FAN, CPU_OPT, or AIO_PUMP at the top of the motherboard OR the 4-pin connector named CHA_FAN1 in the middle of the motherboard OR one of the 4-pin connectors at the bottom of the motherboard named CHA_FAN2 or W_PUMP+ making a total of 6 connectors???

I have attached a PDF file with two pages selected out of the ASUS X-570-E manual that shows a detailed diagram of the motherboard (manual page 16) and a table that defines 26 items on the diagram (manual page 17).
Need a little help to be sure since it's my first CLC implementation.

p.s. -- I'm sure you would find interesting other pages in the manual showing things like the W_PUMP+ connector being rated for 3 Amps and 36 Watts where all of the other connectors are 1 Amp and 12 Watts.

post edited by InfoManWD - 2021/12/02 00:11:30
bob16314
Omnipotent Enthusiast
  • Total Posts : 8048
  • Reward points : 0
  • Ribbons : 761
Re: EVGA CLC 280mm 3-wire/pin cable but ASUS X570-E Gaming mobo has 4-pin connectors??? 2021/11/29 03:29:02 (permalink) ☼ Best Answerby InfoManWD 2021/12/02 00:12:42
From what I know, the default speed in the BIOS for both the AIO_PUMP and W_PUMP+ headers says "Full Speed" and not "Q-Fan Controlled" in the manual..That's what you want, then the CLC software should control the pump and fan speeds through the mini-USB..Also, if there's nothing connected to the CPU_FAN header, the board won't boot and will cough up a CPU fan error and you'll need to disable CPU fan speed monitoring in the Monitor section of the BIOS, save and exit.

My Corsair AIO is powered from a SATA connector, but I would connect the EVGA AIO to the W_PUMP+ header, at least for now, because the combined amp draw for the fans and pump might exceed the 1A rating of the AIO_PUMP..I dunno how many total amps the EVGA AIO pump and fans draw, maybe somebody else does or you can find out..If it's all less that 1A, then you can use the AIO_PUMP header if you wanna. 

Yes, you can connect a 3-wire connector to a 4-pin header and vice-versa..See: How to connect a 3 pin or 4 pin fan to the motherboard.

* Corsair Obsidian 450D Mid-Tower - Airflow Edition * ASUS ROG Maximus X Hero (Wi-Fi AC) * Intel i7-8700K @ 5.0 GHz * 16GB G.SKILL Trident Z 4133MHz * Sabrent Rocket 1TB M.2 SSD * WD Black 500 GB HDD * Seasonic M12 II 750W * Corsair H115i Elite Capellix 280mm * EVGA GTX 760 SC * Win7 Home/Win10 Home * 

"Whatever it takes, as long as it works" - Me

Jump to:
  • Back to Mobile