EVGA

EVGA 980 Ti SC: FREAKIN ABSURD COIL WHINE. THIS IS TOO MUCH !!

Page: 12 > Showing page 1 of 2
Author
correzzana
  • Total Posts : 10
  • Reward points : 0
  • Ribbons : 0
2016/03/06 09:41:24 (permalink)
Hi everyone, as from title I'm opening this thread cause I really want go deep and solve once for all the myths that have been going around with coil whine. People saying it's "normal, every high current powered can make blah blah" just have never experienced anything like this. And YES, many 980 Ti users, or I should say most, don't report any strange sound coming from their cards. I know that are other posts on this topic in this forum and on the web, but in almost none of those you can see someone who actually ever said "YEAH, I SOLVED THIS". 
This is my setup: X-99 Deluxe, Intel 5820K, 32GB Corsair memory, Corsair HX1000i... and unfortunately an EVGA 980 Ti SC+ ACX 2.0, which is currently running on an EK full waterblock with backplate. 
I'm very happy with my setup, except the GPU that has been literally ruining my PC experience since day one.
The card just screams and shouts, even... when not in game. As soon as the gpu gets a minimal power/load increase, it just starts whining covering every possible audible high pitched frequency. If a rapidly scroll through a Chrome web page or a PDF document, it starts singing. Obviously it's not incredibly loud but it's always there, even during normal desktop usage. You cannot imagine when running a 3D / DirectX application, no matter what FPS, no matter if overclocked or underclocked... It just gets too louder than anything else in my house. Even the FRIDGE. GNEEE-GNIII.. And so on.With my 10+ years experience in PCs I've managed to built a full watercooled ultra silent system, as my fans just never run over 500 rpms. This thing has managed to destroy everything I've been working and spending on. I feel embarrassed to show my awesome build to my family or friends, it just sounds like a steam machine from the 1890s.
After 2 months now that I've completed my system, and after all the possible troubleshooting the problem is still there. I thought it would have got better with time, gaming, usage, burn-in (as someone calls this non sense stupid practice), maybe I thought I would have got used to this.. No way. I didn't wanted to ruin the great moment I had when i finished my first rigid tubing and modded build.
I've been reading every single post on the web related to this topic, and I could also list every possible method or fix that as been posted.Causes: GPU, PSU and motherboards (very rare cases).
Possible fixes (I won't list the non sense ones, such as putting a v-sync or frame limiter etc..)
- Burn in the card by running  a game/benchmark that causes it to whine the loudest --> I've never heard anyone actually fixing anything using this method. removed
- Increase/decrease voltage on the card --> Tried numerous times. Just gets the card to sing the national anthem or justin bieber (hew)
- Troubleshoot and test with a different PSU --> It's what I'm going to do tomorrow, with another unboxed HX1000i in a friends hardware shop

After the first impressions and after so many tr.shooting I finally came to the idea that in my case the gpu whine noise was caused ultimately by the PSU, and not directly the GPU. In one of my numerous tests I've managed to get the GPU in the MAX possible TDP/Power consumption (97-99 %) but with 0% actual graphic processor load. I found out that was the state that induced the maximum noise, the state where a lot of powered is been going through the card. That proofs (hopefully) that the problem is power related. As I know, bad +12V rails with oscillating delivery can cause the coil based components in the card to resonate.
BTW what really sets me off, is that from what I read in this post  [ Crazy Coil Whine - 980 Ti SC+ GAMING ACX 2.0+] in the EVGA FORUM (can't post the link) of a guy that had my same problem and almost Same Exact components, that the problem wasn't caused by the PSU. So ultimately, by a defective and bad GPU. Unfortunately, the user never posted a final solution to the matter, as more than 90% of every other similar case.

I will go through testing the PSU and let you guys know, but I'm still not that confident or convicted.. At least I won't have to take the whole loop apart and I'll maybe completely exclude the PSU.. Or maybe find out it was my actual HX1000i unit. Actually heard some other users / reports of people going through multiple cards and RMAs and always having the same problem, on this but also other forums.
But if it's not the case, well, this is quite a very big problem with EVGA. And will be such a freakin pain in my back to take apart my loop, adding new coolant and being unable to work with my PC for a couple of weeks at least (don't have integrated graphics). Pay the boxing and shipping for RMA. 
"This also happened with other manufacturers"... True. But in this case (if it's not PSU fault) it's completely EVGA's responsibility, you can't send out on the market a card with such terrible issues. Do they even test the cards before selling those ? Mine sure wasn't tested.. or maybe it was but by a deaf person (with no offense intended).
I thought EVGA to be one of the best qualities if not the absolute best with GPU products (and customer service). We'll see. But if it's not my psu, you guys have some serious problems with Quality Controls.
The final thought is that no one will give me back all the inconveniences or the hours I've been dealing with this problems. Hope this thread could maybe help some more people in the future, as I'm planning to go really deep with all of this. No way I'll be keeping this tedious removed . This will be SOLVED.
post edited by Scarlet-Tech - 2016/03/06 10:19:59

38 Replies Related Threads

Zuhl3156
    Omnipotent Enthusiast
    • Total Posts : 13061
    • Ribbons : 34
    Re: EVGA 980 Ti SC: FREAKIN ABSURD COIL WHINE. THIS IS TOO MUCH !! 2016/03/06 09:51:09 (permalink)
    This coil whine issue has become more and more common regardless of the manufacturer it seems. I have to count my blessings since I have zero coil whine with my MSI boards but have seen others with MSI boards complaining about coil whine. EVGA will approve an RMA replacement for coil whine though it is a PITA having to ship, wait and be without a video board for over a week.
    the_Scarlet_one
    formerly Scarlet-tech
    • Total Posts : 24581
    • Ribbons : 79
    Re: EVGA 980 Ti SC: FREAKIN ABSURD COIL WHINE. THIS IS TOO MUCH !! 2016/03/06 10:23:01 (permalink)
    I removed a few of the words that were posted due to TOS, but also want to try to help.

You will find a few posts where people suggest a dab of fingernail polish on the coils to see if that helps. Have you tried that by any chance?

You are able to RMA the card if nothing else works. I understand that having to break everything down is frustrating, but it is an option for sure.

You could see if you can get a hold of a new psu. Sometimes users have reduced coil whine through using a UPS (uninterrupted power supply) to provide "clean" power to the psu. There is a few more things to try, but you could start with the fingernail polish to see if it helps since it won't take very long to try.
    rjohnson11
    EVGA Forum Moderator
    • Total Posts : 102260
    • Ribbons : 84
    Re: EVGA 980 Ti SC: FREAKIN ABSURD COIL WHINE. THIS IS TOO MUCH !! 2016/03/06 11:46:51 (permalink)
    Excessive coil whine is a reason (as mentioned above) to make an RMA if you are not happy.

AMD Ryzen 9 7950X,  Corsair Mp700 Pro M.2, 64GB Corsair Dominator Titanium DDR5  X670E Steel Legend, MSI RTX 4090 Associate Code: H5U80QBH6BH0AXF. I am NOT an employee of EVGA

bsmegreg
    FTW Member
    • Total Posts : 1604
    • Ribbons : 6
    Re: EVGA 980 Ti SC: FREAKIN ABSURD COIL WHINE. THIS IS TOO MUCH !! 2016/03/06 11:56:50 (permalink)
    You can do a cross ship RMA which lets you keep your card while the new one comes if you're interested. Basically, you hold on to your card while EVGA sends you a card and you can send the defective card back in the same box. This program just requires you put the full value of the card down on a credit card for the duration of the RMA which will be refunded when EVGA receives the defected product. This program is nice because you can continue to work/game while waiting for the replacement. Also, I think shipping was free when I did it, unless they charged my card. They sent me a prepaid shipping label at least.

Also, you could sample SLI for a few days so long as EVGA gets the defected product back within 14 days.

Hillguy
    FTW Member
    • Total Posts : 1320
    • Ribbons : 10
    Re: EVGA 980 Ti SC: FREAKIN ABSURD COIL WHINE. THIS IS TOO MUCH !! 2016/03/06 12:32:12 (permalink)
    Hi correzzana , everybody gets you are frustrated right now but getting mad won't solve your problem.   If your going to be water cooling , I recommend you get used to taking things apart and putting them back together.  First thing your going to have to do is put the stock cooler back on and see if the card still whines. Did you not test the card before installing the waterblock ? If there was coil whine you should have rma'd it then.  

Anyway not much you can do about that now ,  you are where you are ..  when you get the card back together run a few tests then Contact EVGA Technical support to start the RMA process at 1-888-881-3842 option 1 or contact by email at support@evga.com

Take Care

eVGA RTX 3090 Kingpin Hydrocopper | eVGA X299 Dark | Intel i9 10980XE | Heatkiller IV CPU Block | 32 GB GSkill Trident Z 3200  | 500GB Samsung 860 Evo | Dual Corsair AX1200i PSU's | Dual Koolance RP-1000 Pumps | Dual Koolance EHX-1320 4x120mm Rads | W10 | Asus PB278Q | Acer 20" | Razer Death Stalker | Razer Death Adder | Thermaltake Armor+
    DHLEVGA
    iCX Member
    • Total Posts : 354
    • Ribbons : 2
    Re: EVGA 980 Ti SC: FREAKIN ABSURD COIL WHINE. THIS IS TOO MUCH !! 2016/03/06 22:09:20 (permalink)
    correzzana
    Hi everyone, as from title I'm opening this thread cause I really want go deep and solve once for all the myths that have been going around with coil whine. People saying it's "normal, every high current powered can make blah blah" just have never experienced anything like this. And YES, many 980 Ti users, or I should say most, don't report any strange sound coming from their cards. I know that are other posts on this topic in this forum and on the web, but in almost none of those you can see someone who actually ever said "YEAH, I SOLVED THIS". 
    This is my setup: X-99 Deluxe, Intel 5820K, 32GB Corsair memory, Corsair HX1000i... and unfortunately an EVGA 980 Ti SC+ ACX 2.0, which is currently running on an EK full waterblock with backplate. 
    I'm very happy with my setup, except the GPU that has been literally ruining my PC experience since day one.
    The card just screams and shouts, even... when not in game. As soon as the gpu gets a minimal power/load increase, it just starts whining covering every possible audible high pitched frequency. If a rapidly scroll through a Chrome web page or a PDF document, it starts singing. Obviously it's not incredibly loud but it's always there, even during normal desktop usage. You cannot imagine when running a 3D / DirectX application, no matter what FPS, no matter if overclocked or underclocked... It just gets too louder than anything else in my house. Even the FRIDGE. GNEEE-GNIII.. And so on.With my 10+ years experience in PCs I've managed to built a full watercooled ultra silent system, as my fans just never run over 500 rpms. This thing has managed to destroy everything I've been working and spending on. I feel embarrassed to show my awesome build to my family or friends, it just sounds like a steam machine from the 1890s.
    After 2 months now that I've completed my system, and after all the possible troubleshooting the problem is still there. I thought it would have got better with time, gaming, usage, burn-in (as someone calls this non sense stupid practice), maybe I thought I would have got used to this.. No way. I didn't wanted to ruin the great moment I had when i finished my first rigid tubing and modded build.
    I've been reading every single post on the web related to this topic, and I could also list every possible method or fix that as been posted.Causes: GPU, PSU and motherboards (very rare cases).
    Possible fixes (I won't list the non sense ones, such as putting a v-sync or frame limiter etc..)
    - Burn in the card by running  a game/benchmark that causes it to whine the loudest --> I've never heard anyone actually fixing anything using this method. removed
    - Increase/decrease voltage on the card --> Tried numerous times. Just gets the card to sing the national anthem or justin bieber (hew)
    - Troubleshoot and test with a different PSU --> It's what I'm going to do tomorrow, with another unboxed HX1000i in a friends hardware shop

After the first impressions and after so many tr.shooting I finally came to the idea that in my case the gpu whine noise was caused ultimately by the PSU, and not directly the GPU. In one of my numerous tests I've managed to get the GPU in the MAX possible TDP/Power consumption (97-99 %) but with 0% actual graphic processor load. I found out that was the state that induced the maximum noise, the state where a lot of powered is been going through the card. That proofs (hopefully) that the problem is power related. As I know, bad +12V rails with oscillating delivery can cause the coil based components in the card to resonate.
    BTW what really sets me off, is that from what I read in this post  [ Crazy Coil Whine - 980 Ti SC+ GAMING ACX 2.0+] in the EVGA FORUM (can't post the link) of a guy that had my same problem and almost Same Exact components, that the problem wasn't caused by the PSU. So ultimately, by a defective and bad GPU. Unfortunately, the user never posted a final solution to the matter, as more than 90% of every other similar case.

I will go through testing the PSU and let you guys know, but I'm still not that confident or convicted.. At least I won't have to take the whole loop apart and I'll maybe completely exclude the PSU.. Or maybe find out it was my actual HX1000i unit. Actually heard some other users / reports of people going through multiple cards and RMAs and always having the same problem, on this but also other forums.
    But if it's not the case, well, this is quite a very big problem with EVGA. And will be such a freakin pain in my back to take apart my loop, adding new coolant and being unable to work with my PC for a couple of weeks at least (don't have integrated graphics). Pay the boxing and shipping for RMA. 
    "This also happened with other manufacturers"... True. But in this case (if it's not PSU fault) it's completely EVGA's responsibility, you can't send out on the market a card with such terrible issues. Do they even test the cards before selling those ? Mine sure wasn't tested.. or maybe it was but by a deaf person (with no offense intended).
    I thought EVGA to be one of the best qualities if not the absolute best with GPU products (and customer service). We'll see. But if it's not my psu, you guys have some serious problems with Quality Controls.
    The final thought is that no one will give me back all the inconveniences or the hours I've been dealing with this problems. Hope this thread could maybe help some more people in the future, as I'm planning to go really deep with all of this. No way I'll be keeping this tedious removed . This will be SOLVED.

Coil whine comes from the oscillation of the winding (wire) that surrounds the magnetic core of the inductors in the power supply sections of the card. The 12V DC input from your PS is chopped up to a high frequency signal then filtered with capacitors and inductors to create other DC voltages needed by your card. If the wiring in the inductors is not tight (or encapsulated in an epoxy or other plastic compounds), the wire can physically vibrate at the frequency of the signal being filtered by the inductor, and depending on the frequency of that signal, be audible to listeners nearby. This is clearly an issue of the quality of the inductors being used by EVGA (or their subcontract manufacturer).

There is a human sensitivity issue here as well. Some are very sensitive to high frequency pitched sound, other are not. But if its obvious to not only yourself but other you have had listen, then its obvious the card is whining.

I think your attempts to quantify the conditions under which the coil whine occurs are an exercise in futility. You cannot replace or modify those inductors so you might as well RMA the card if EVGA will do it.

BTW, while EVGA has great customer support (which you should take advantage of), I have had issues with their choice of the quality of components they use on their boards. A few years back I tried to get a confirmation that they were using epoxy glass PCB material in their cards (because that is one of the best materials you can use for a PCB), the they refused to confirm they are using it. Now they tout such materials on their motherboards (due to competition claiming high end materials), but the video cards not so much. MSI has made a point of using high end fully encapsulated inductors (SSC-solid state chokes) and coils in their Lightning products, but you will pay a premium for those. I have owned 4 generations of Lightning GPUS (480, 580, 680, 780) and have never had any coil whine issue whatsoever. This is not true with MSI standard design cards however.
    correzzana
    Re: EVGA 980 Ti SC: FREAKIN ABSURD COIL WHINE. THIS IS TOO MUCH !! 2016/03/07 03:45:48 (permalink)
    Scarlet-Tech
    I removed a few of the words that were posted due to TOS, but also want to try to help.

You will find a few posts where people suggest a dab of fingernail polish on the coils to see if that helps. Have you tried that by any chance?

You are able to RMA the card if nothing else works. I understand that having to break everything down is frustrating, but it is an option for sure.

You could see if you can get a hold of a new psu. Sometimes users have reduced coil whine through using a UPS (uninterrupted power supply) to provide "clean" power to the psu. There is a few more things to try, but you could start with the fingernail polish to see if it helps since it won't take very long to try.

Thanks fro the reply, I've also heard about UPS method but I'm not that confident it would really change anything. Anyway I guess you don't really have much of a clue of what you're talking about or got a bit confused... Do you even know how and where to apply "fingernail polish" ? It's physically impossible to do that on a 980 Ti as on most modern day GPUs, the whines of the inductors are completely encapsulated. It wouldn't sort even a minimal effect. I notice you have a watercooled setup including graphics cards,  next time you mount or take apart your blocks give a close look at PCB (or just google it...)

Hillguy
    Hi correzzana , everybody gets you are frustrated right now but getting mad won't solve your problem.   If your going to be water cooling , I recommend you get used to taking things apart and putting them back together.  First thing your going to have to do is put the stock cooler back on and see if the card still whines. Did you not test the card before installing the waterblock ? If there was coil whine you should have rma'd it then.  
    Anyway not much you can do about that now ,  you are where you are ..  when you get the card back together run a few tests then Contact EVGA Technical support to start the RMA process at 1-888-881-3842 option 1 or contact by email at
    Take Care 

Sure I tried and used for a whole week the entire system GPU included... It was probably so hard to hear cause when it develops, under gaming/3D, the fans just ramp up and probabl covered quite a bit the sound. I'm also really sure it developed under time, as many other users reported.    Pffff, I hope you were joking on the "get used to take things apart"... Non sense. It was an awesome fun to put my setup together, and it's also really great when you work on it cause you're upgrading or decide to make some changes. IT'S NOT fun when you have to take everything apart cause a faulty or bad component, especially a 700 € one. I've own a previous watercooled machine I've never took apart or even touched for 3+ years until I decided to take some components for another project. I therefore selected the much higher quality for all the components to avoid especially something like this.. Or maybe in your town everybody are used to sell bad quality products and you enjoy taking stuff apart. I don't have time for this sort of stuff, and that's why I usually pay a premium on electronics. And don't get me wrong I love working and trouble shooting on PCs... But this thing is just getting on a stupid level. Work around and solve a problem is a thing, selling junk stuff is another.

Zuhl3156
    Omnipotent Enthusiast
    Re: EVGA 980 Ti SC: FREAKIN ABSURD COIL WHINE. THIS IS TOO MUCH !! 2016/03/07 04:19:21 (permalink)
    This is the only photo of the inductors causing coil whine I could find in this article: http://www.pcper.com/news/Graphics-Cards/GeForce-GTX-970-Coil-Whine-Concerns

They don't look anything like the inductors I am used to dealing with and are totally sealed as you mentioned above. The only inductor I am familiar with that painting with clear nail polish are a round core wound with heavy copper wire.
    arestavo
    CLASSIFIED ULTRA Member
    • Total Posts : 6916
    • Ribbons : 76
    Re: EVGA 980 Ti SC: FREAKIN ABSURD COIL WHINE. THIS IS TOO MUCH !! 2016/03/07 05:29:41 (permalink)
    Definitely try that new PSU first, and if you could borrow an UPS for testing that might help.

Barring those actually fixing the issue, an RMA is your best bet. You might be able to request that they do a burn in test and check for coil whine, just so you don't get another one with the same issue and have to RMA it all over again.
    NO_sauce
    iCX Member
    • Total Posts : 268
    • Ribbons : 3
    Re: EVGA 980 Ti SC: FREAKIN ABSURD COIL WHINE. THIS IS TOO MUCH !! 2016/03/07 06:39:26 (permalink)
    Do not use fingernail polish as any liquids would void your warranty

If you have a moment, please rate my service  Agent: Joseph L
    correzzana
    Re: EVGA 980 Ti SC: FREAKIN ABSURD COIL WHINE. THIS IS TOO MUCH !! 2016/03/07 06:43:52 (permalink)
    DHLEVGA
    Coil whine comes from the oscillation of the winding (wire) that surrounds the magnetic core of the inductors in the power supply sections of the card. The 12V DC input from your PS is chopped up to a high frequency signal then filtered with capacitors and inductors to create other DC voltages needed by your card. If the wiring in the inductors is not tight (or encapsulated in an epoxy or other plastic compounds), the wire can physically vibrate at the frequency of the signal being filtered by the inductor, and depending on the frequency of that signal, be audible to listeners nearby. This is clearly an issue of the quality of the inductors being used by EVGA (or their subcontract manufacturer).

There is a human sensitivity issue here as well. Some are very sensitive to high frequency pitched sound, other are not. But if its obvious to not only yourself but other you have had listen, then its obvious the card is whining.

I think your attempts to quantify the conditions under which the coil whine occurs are an exercise in futility. You cannot replace or modify those inductors so you might as well RMA the card if EVGA will do it.

BTW, while EVGA has great customer support (which you should take advantage of), I have had issues with their choice of the quality of components they use on their boards. A few years back I tried to get a confirmation that they were using epoxy glass PCB material in their cards (because that is one of the best materials you can use for a PCB), the they refused to confirm they are using it. Now they tout such materials on their motherboards (due to competition claiming high end materials), but the video cards not so much. MSI has made a point of using high end fully encapsulated inductors (SSC-solid state chokes) and coils in their Lightning products, but you will pay a premium for those. I have owned 4 generations of Lightning GPUS (480, 580, 680, 780) and have never had any coil whine issue whatsoever. This is not true with MSI standard design cards however.

Hi DHLEVGA and thank you for the very exhaustive reply. We all probably know at this point the issue is strictly related to the GPU, but at the end as I have the occasion (without an expense) to try another PSU and completely exclude it I'll grab the occasion, as it's also quite much faster and simpler than getting straight to the GPU block.
    As I also mentioned, I heard about some people who actually solved this by swapping/working on the PSU, so why not give it a try. Also EVGA staff recommends to try at least once with a different power unit.

What, again, really sets me off is what other users are reporting from EVGA RMA, as anyone here (obviously) suggests me to do it.
    I got to read a more recent thread from user MrSmffy,    Coil Whine (Extreme) Water Cooled 980Ti SC, the guy I mentioned that had almost the same setup as me. Same exact GPU, same PSU, Asus motherboard, same waterblock (also). 
    After trying another psu without success, he ultimately decided to RMA the card. And guess what ??? The card he received back had again a very noticeable coil whine. He also uploaded a video and wrote very detailed informations in his post. Check it out.

Another user, DirtySouthWookie, reports in the same thread I mentioned before he went through 10 (TEN), different 980s from EVGA and all were affected by the same problem. 
    Around the web i also heard people getting same issues (with literally loops of RMA) on other 980 Tis, such as the Asus Strix.

If EVGA can't guarantee me a card which is Coil Whine free (as it's supposed to be, and as it's also said to be 0 db so actually marketed as a "silent" card), I'll ultimately ask for a refund, cause the product simply does not work as advertised. If that's even possibile. And mabe try my luck with another reference design card, as I already have a very nice EKWB full cover for reference designed 980 Tis.  And would be a real pity and pain to also get rid of it. 
    This is actually my very first bad experience with EVGA ever. Hope they will give me concrete answers, as from what it seems now other customers are stuck in the same problem even after RMA
    correzzana
    Re: EVGA 980 Ti SC: FREAKIN ABSURD COIL WHINE. THIS IS TOO MUCH !! 2016/03/07 06:55:57 (permalink)
    arestavo
    Definitely try that new PSU first, and if you could borrow an UPS for testing that might help.
    Barring those actually fixing the issue, an RMA is your best bet. You might be able to request that they do a burn in test and check for coil whine, just so you don't get another one with the same issue and have to RMA it all over again.

I'm going to try with the new Corsair unit tonight. Fingers crossed 
    I know this sort problems are different case by case, and may be or not the solution before RMA.

Zuhl3156
    This is the only photo of the inductors causing coil whine I could find in this article:
    They don't look anything like the inductors I am used to dealing with and are totally sealed as you mentioned above. The only inductor I am familiar with that painting with clear nail polish are a round core wound with heavy copper wire.

Hi Zuhl, those are exactly the components we're talking about. That's just a simple picture of a PCB of a stripped card, if you search images of GTX 900 series PCBs on google you can find thousands of those. Those looks exactly as mines in the 980 Ti, and probably look the exact same on yours MSI 980. 

NO_sauce
    Do not use fingernail polish as any liquids would void your warranty

I would have never done that even if my capacitors and inductors were not incapsulated. As I've already told that wouldn't sort any minimal effect.

Zuhl3156
    Omnipotent Enthusiast
    Re: EVGA 980 Ti SC: FREAKIN ABSURD COIL WHINE. THIS IS TOO MUCH !! 2016/03/07 07:00:06 (permalink)
    I didn't notice any coil whine at all probably due to the noise from the dual fans running. I don't hear anything now either because it's not there or it is being muffled by the EK waterblock and backplate. Maybe I should just count my blessings and be quiet about it before I anger some lesser technology god and suddenly wind up with some serious noise.
    correzzana
    Re: EVGA 980 Ti SC: FREAKIN ABSURD COIL WHINE. THIS IS TOO MUCH !! 2016/03/07 10:28:54 (permalink)
    As I badly suspected the PSU swap didn't change anything, the fresh unboxed unit gave the same results. It's all up to the graphics card.
    We flushed the whole loop on my system 30 mins ago and the card now with the stock cooler and disconnected fans gives the same result again, on another pc here in the shop. It just whines really loud in any given scenery it's disturbing. 

At this point I'm going to ship the card back to EVGA in germany, and the only solution I thought would be be to have back a coil whine tested card or pcb. I'll email the customer service. If they have such a great customer support I hope they will send me a stripped out Hydro Copper PCB, with no waterblock, it has just has to be compatible to a standard reference 980 ti EK block. I'm willing to pay the extra what ? 100, 200 €, as soon as they send me a good level and tested 980 ti pcb, coil whine free at 0 fan speed. As most other users in this same forum stated, RMA didn't solved anything and I'm willing to pay any extra to get a superior or tested card, which given the inconvenience  given would be kind.  I hope the best
    post edited by correzzana - 2016/03/07 10:33:02
    Crook1d
    • Total Posts : 7
    Re: EVGA 980 Ti SC: FREAKIN ABSURD COIL WHINE. THIS IS TOO MUCH !! 2016/03/08 10:06:30 (permalink)
    I am really surprised at EVGA with this one. I spent a ton of time putting together my hard tubing rig just to have the EVGA 980TI scream with whine on even tasks not too stressful on the GPU. 
    Cool GTX
    EVGA Forum Moderator
    • Total Posts : 30975
    • Ribbons : 122
    Re: EVGA 980 Ti SC: FREAKIN ABSURD COIL WHINE. THIS IS TOO MUCH !! 2016/03/08 10:37:24 (permalink)
    Crook1d
    I am really surprised at EVGA with this one. I spent a ton of time putting together my hard tubing rig just to have the EVGA 980TI scream with whine on even tasks not too stressful on the GPU. 

Stuff happens.

EVGA has a great RMA system if your not happy with your card.

Now you know why experienced builders bench test their PC parts before they put them under water.
    (fixed typo)
    post edited by Cool GTX - 2016/03/08 14:13:19

Learn your way around the EVGA Forums, Rules & limits on new accounts Ultimate Self-Starter Thread For New Members

I am a Volunteer Moderator - not an EVGA employee

https://foldingathome.org -->become a citizen scientist and contribute your compute power to help fight global health threats

RTX Project EVGA X99 FTWK Nibbler EVGA X99 Classified EVGA 3080Ti FTW3 Ultra

correzzana
    Re: EVGA 980 Ti SC: FREAKIN ABSURD COIL WHINE. THIS IS TOO MUCH !! 2016/03/08 10:57:49 (permalink)
    Crook1d

Hi Crook1d, 
    same exact, precise situation here: hard tubing and ultra silent loop in which I spent many hours of work, and the worst card I could ask for (at least it'a good overclocker..)  It just makes noise even when moving a folder around on the desktop, or scrolling the simplest page of a document or browser.
    There's not much you can do: with this level of whine noise it won't just get away with use or burn in / stress testing. The only thing you can try is swapping your PSU, if you happen to have a spare one laying around, or just forget it.. It's probably 99,99 % the card itself. 
    correzzana
    Re: EVGA 980 Ti SC: FREAKIN ABSURD COIL WHINE. THIS IS TOO MUCH !! 2016/03/08 11:14:59 (permalink)
    Cool GTX

Stuff happens.

Now you know why experience builders bench test their PC parts before they put them under water.

Here instead comes the experience"d" builder !!  Who talks without knowing the facts... My system has been running for 2 weeks of everyday use and testing before watercooling it. I even pushed the card on air with no overvolt @1470 mhz stable. The problem just probably developed with time (as others reported), and as you first notice the whine when you're gaming, and when you're gaming fans ramp up so much, it's not that even easy to spot at the beginning. Also my Haswell-E was on the stock air cooler and contributed making noise, covering the gpu. User MrSmffy reported that was quite more difficult to hear the coil whine on the 980 Ti on stock air cooler when he got the card back from RMA (the second card in total, and still with issues). After he wblocked it, was much louder, again. 
    I read you are a (experienced!) watercooler, maybe one day it will also happen to you, then you'll maybe get how much frustrating a problem like this one can be. Or maybe you just have a very noisy system which covers everything..
    When you don't expect any coil whine and you also don't have any idea of what is it (cause you never encountered it), you're even not searching for it. 

post edited by correzzana - 2016/03/08 11:25:15
    the_Scarlet_one
    formerly Scarlet-tech
    Re: EVGA 980 Ti SC: FREAKIN ABSURD COIL WHINE. THIS IS TOO MUCH !! 2016/03/08 11:22:17 (permalink)
    correzzana
    Cool GTX

Stuff happens.

Now you know why experience builders bench test their PC parts before they put them under water.

Here instead comes the experience"d" builder !!  Who talks without knowing the facts... My system has been running for 2 weeks of everyday use and testing before watercooling it. I even pushed the card on air with no overvolt @1470 mhz stable. The problem just probably developed with time (as others reported), and as you first notice the whine when you're gaming, and when you're gaming fans ramp up so much, it's not that even easy to spot at the beginning. Also my Haswell-E was on the stock air cooler and contributed making noise, covering the gpu. User MrSmffy reported that was quite more difficult to hear the coil whine on the 980 Ti on stock air cooler when he got the card back from RMA (the second card in total, and still with issues). After he wblocked it, was much louder, again.
    When you don't expect any coil whine and you also don't have any idea of what is it (cause you never encountered it), you're even not searching for it. 

Just had to giggle at the highlighted above. Haswell-E doesn't come with any cooler, lol. So, that must be a misprint ;-p lol.

I have not been so unlucky to have coil whine on my cards. I do know when initially testing, I can turn down the fans for a few moments to allow the card to be as quiet as possible.. this takes the idea of "the fans turn up so loud you can't hear the coil whine" and removes that possibility for the most part.

Of course, you don't do that for a long period of time, because it could potentially heat the card up more than you would like.

Coil whine is not fun. It is a reason for RMA. I don't use soft tubing once I have finished building, but I definitely use soft tubing while I plan out my loop rsther than aim straight for hard tubing. This is another way to maintain silence while testing before completely locking my system into a rigid tubing bundle that sucks to take apart.
    correzzana
    Re: EVGA 980 Ti SC: FREAKIN ABSURD COIL WHINE. THIS IS TOO MUCH !! 2016/03/08 11:45:34 (permalink)
    Scarlet-Tech
    correzzana

Also my Haswell-E was on the stock air cooler 

Just had to giggle at the highlighted above. Haswell-E doesn't come with any cooler, lol. So, that must be a misprint ;-p lol.

Who said it CAME with a stock cooler ?? I  just bought one LGA 2011 v3, stock cooler, which one of this bad boys --> 

LMFAO 
    post edited by correzzana - 2016/03/08 11:48:53

Attached Image(s)

the_Scarlet_one
    formerly Scarlet-tech
    Re: EVGA 980 Ti SC: FREAKIN ABSURD COIL WHINE. THIS IS TOO MUCH !! 2016/03/08 12:00:07 (permalink)
    correzzana

Who said it CAME with a stock cooler ?? I  just bought one LGA 2011 v3, stock cooler, which one of this bad boys --> 

LMFAO 

Eeeeewwwwwwwwwwwwwwww!!! That's not pretty, lol.
    Cool GTX
    EVGA Forum Moderator
    Re: EVGA 980 Ti SC: FREAKIN ABSURD COIL WHINE. THIS IS TOO MUCH !! 2016/03/08 14:25:55 (permalink)
    correzzana
    Cool GTX

Stuff happens.

I read you are a (experienced!) watercooler, maybe one day it will also happen to you, then you'll maybe get how much frustrating a problem like this one can be. Or maybe you just have a very noisy system which covers everything..

LOL ----  I was responding to Crook1d --- Um, that is why I quoted them in my response -- not you correzzana ---- not sure why you are so upset -- typo fixed

You mention € - are you on a 50 Hz power grid ?

Have you found any correlation to 60Hz vs 50Hz in your research ?

My point to Crook1d was they can RMA the card. 

The benching was just a general reference in case it helps anyone else who many not be so diligent.

Thanks for the well wishes,

Have a great day
    post edited by Cool GTX - 2016/03/08 15:37:03

Learn your way around the EVGA Forums, Rules & limits on new accounts Ultimate Self-Starter Thread For New Members

https://foldingathome.org -->become a citizen scientist and contribute your compute power to help fight global health threats

DHLEVGA
    iCX Member
    • Total Posts : 354
    • Ribbons : 2
    Re: EVGA 980 Ti SC: FREAKIN ABSURD COIL WHINE. THIS IS TOO MUCH !! 2016/03/09 18:28:03 (permalink)
    correzzana
    DHLEVGA

Hi DHLEVGA and thank you for the very exhaustive reply. We all probably know at this point the issue is strictly related to the GPU, but at the end as I have the occasion (without an expense) to try another PSU and completely exclude it I'll grab the occasion, as it's also quite much faster and simpler than getting straight to the GPU block.
    As I also mentioned, I heard about some people who actually solved this by swapping/working on the PSU, so why not give it a try. Also EVGA staff recommends to try at least once with a different power unit.

What, again, really sets me off is what other users are reporting from EVGA RMA, as anyone here (obviously) suggests me to do it.
    I got to read a more recent thread from user MrSmffy,    Coil Whine (Extreme) Water Cooled 980Ti SC, the guy I mentioned that had almost the same setup as me. Same exact GPU, same PSU, Asus motherboard, same waterblock (also). 
    After trying another psu without success, he ultimately decided to RMA the card. And guess what ??? The card he received back had again a very noticeable coil whine. He also uploaded a video and wrote very detailed informations in his post. Check it out.

Another user, DirtySouthWookie, reports in the same thread I mentioned before he went through 10 (TEN), different 980s from EVGA and all were affected by the same problem. 
    Around the web i also heard people getting same issues (with literally loops of RMA) on other 980 Tis, such as the Asus Strix.

If EVGA can't guarantee me a card which is Coil Whine free (as it's supposed to be, and as it's also said to be 0 db so actually marketed as a "silent" card), I'll ultimately ask for a refund, cause the product simply does not work as advertised. If that's even possibile. And mabe try my luck with another reference design card, as I already have a very nice EKWB full cover for reference designed 980 Tis.  And would be a real pity and pain to also get rid of it. 
    This is actually my very first bad experience with EVGA ever. Hope they will give me concrete answers, as from what it seems now other customers are stuck in the same problem even after RMA

Tech support (with all due respect) often makes suggestions that don't solve the problem, especially if there are defective designs/components involved. Given the basic mechanism for coil whine, I cannot see how a different PS would help much. Since it is a complex process which involves the inverter frequency and probably load current, I can see how the gaming loads and board stress levels affect it. Power supplies whose voltage sags below the rated 12V may also affect it as this sag may result in higher current levels through the inductors, but not if they provide a solid, accurate 12V under the load the card is using. For that matter, cable and connectors could have an influence if the voltage drop to the card is significant between the PS and the video card.

I don't doubt that many have found this a widespread issue across manufacturers. That is due to the fact that most of these video cards are build to standard designs (and probably in the same factories) irregardless of whose name is on the card. Only s few companies (such as MSI) produce products that deviate significantly from the NVIDIA reference design. You may want to check on current Lightning 980s, but I don't recall seeing coil whine issues with that particular product. It does deviate from the standard NVIDIA reference design. Again, MSI also has standard NVIDIA reference design products so not all MSI products may be free of this issue.
    Crook1d
    Re: EVGA 980 Ti SC: FREAKIN ABSURD COIL WHINE. THIS IS TOO MUCH !! 2016/03/10 07:18:18 (permalink)
    Cool GTX
    Crook1d

Stuff happens.

Now you know why experienced builders bench test their PC parts before they put them under water.
    (fixed typo)

Gotta love this guy.

There was no coil whine before I put it in water. At least not an audible one. A lot of times the fan on a GPU's cooler can mask coil whine.

But you should know this...

As I said, I am surprised at EVGA. That's all I said actually. If I was being more forward, I'd say these cards should have been tested before being put up for retail. "Stuff happens" but in this case it's costed me hours of time and a lot of money on a silent PC that is now noisy.
    post edited by Crook1d - 2016/03/10 07:20:31
    Crook1d
    Re: EVGA 980 Ti SC: FREAKIN ABSURD COIL WHINE. THIS IS TOO MUCH !! 2016/03/10 07:26:34 (permalink)
    Cool GTX
    correzzana
    Cool GTX

Stuff happens.

LOL ----  I was responding to Crook1d --- Um, that is why I quoted them in my response -- not you correzzana ---- not sure why you are so upset -- typo fixed

You mention € - are you on a 50 Hz power grid ?

Have you found any correlation to 60Hz vs 50Hz in your research ?

My point to Crook1d was they can RMA the card. 

The benching was just a general reference in case it helps anyone else who many not be so diligent.

Thanks for the well wishes,

Have a great day

Now you assume I was not diligent.

I really think you are incredibly misinformed on how coil whine becomes a problem and can be difficult to detect before installing a water block. Perhaps you should take some time building or researching before posting your "expertise".

And I mean that in the most positive way possible as a general reference before anyone else takes your responses as I did... Ignorant and borderline offensive.
    budh420
    • Total Posts : 8
    Re: EVGA 980 Ti SC: FREAKIN ABSURD COIL WHINE. THIS IS TOO MUCH !! 2016/03/13 21:34:12 (permalink)
    this is what evga sent me about my gtx 970 ftw that had pretty bad coil whine....We are sorry to hear that you are having issue with your graphics card. 
    For coil we recommend trying a overnight burn in test as well as moving around the PCI power connectors. For the burn in test recommend  fury test however you can use any GPU stress test utility. 
    Keep in mind that coil whine is not harmful to a graphics card and is common in high end electronics. 
    If this does not settle the coil whine and the noise is irritating, then we can assist you with an RMA. 
    Let us know the testing results.

of course i am water cooling it and misplaced a screw for the stock cooler...cant send it back until i find it.......the above did help a little, now it does it when i first start playing a game then settles down and becomes pretty unnoticeable. try it out.   
    LasseK1981
    • Total Posts : 89
    Re: EVGA 980 Ti SC: FREAKIN ABSURD COIL WHINE. THIS IS TOO MUCH !! 2018/12/03 11:22:10 (permalink)
    I am curious as how status is withe your "case" and coil whine?  Did you find a fix? Learned more about the problem? RMA?   Please let me know.. 

I have also first time ever that famous (removed) coil whine on my 2080 Ti.. I have tried new PSU and reseat everything double check etc. 

THAT price and that noise!   .. awful.. Btw: I dident notice at alle 1 day on stock air cooler.. but when converted to watercool EKWB   .... WOW!  most loudest cw I have ever heard I think.. So I am there now thinking of a RMA but people say they all do it? and I should expect replacement also to whine lol .. 

(removed) 

TOS issue addressed by Cool GTX
    Cool GTX
    EVGA Forum Moderator
    Re: EVGA 980 Ti SC: FREAKIN ABSURD COIL WHINE. THIS IS TOO MUCH !! 2018/12/03 11:29:48 (permalink)
    LasseK1981
    I am curious as how status is withe your "case" and coil whine?  Did you find a fix? Learned more about the problem? RMA?   Please let me know.. 

I have also first time ever that famous (removed) coil whine on my 2080 Ti.. I have tried new PSU and reseat everything double check etc. 

THAT price and that noise!   .. awful.. Btw: I dident notice at alle 1 day on stock air cooler.. but when converted to watercool EKWB   .... WOW!  most loudest cw I have ever heard I think.. So I am there now thinking of a RMA but people say they all do it? and I should expect replacement also to whine lol .. 

(removed) 

TOS issue addressed by Cool GTX

If you look at the OP public profile you would see:  Last login for OP was Thursday, March 10, 2016 1:10 PM

Better to PM the member & hope they respond.

There was another thread about EK modifying their water block mounting / number of thermal pads  ?

LasseK1981
    • Total Posts : 89
    Re: EVGA 980 Ti SC: FREAKIN ABSURD COIL WHINE. THIS IS TOO MUCH !! 2018/12/03 11:39:47 (permalink)
    You know after a month research trying desperately to go professor on coil whine and POSSIBLE solutions. I actually ended up with more unanswered questions that to begin with.. 

ex. people have the most crazy "try this fix"  new motherboard, new psu, "burn-in" LOL!, True Sinewave UPS,   Nail Polish?! But that would only work on older coils/inductors which GFX have not used for a long time.. today they are high quality solid! some even cement in them..  SO HOW CAN coil whine continue even though the coils virtually CANNOT make whine longer!  Also I truly believe that when someone says "hey I fixed my whine with new PSU"...  Then it was because the whine actually came FROM the Psu and not GFX even though he dont think that.. 

Well then I saw this, its not actual coil whine but MOSFET whine lol .. mine sounds like that and loud under loud...
    https://youtu.be/N-z9PidYH4E?t=904 So its some kind of MOSFET power issue? even though running max power, full OC, and no errors by video card ? Like I said! You only get even more questions trying to become smarter on the topic.. I hate it .. I am a logic guy... Cause and effect and fix!   Not random lottery and everyone has a new story and fix that cannot be verified!?!??!  I mean obviously this is a strange phenomenon that's been going on for years and generations of GFX. The manufacturers and NV/AMD tells us nothing, maybe they DONT KNOW? or what to do?  They all just claim using Japanese capacitor, tantalum bla bla - the best quality components . but its become a huge problem.. mine for the first time.. and I feel (removed) paying SO much money being so disappointed and let down by this whine on 2080 Ti .. it kind of ruins the experience for me a lot. . I (removed) hate it! :( 

TOS language removed, PM sent  Cool GTX
    post edited by Cool GTX - 2018/12/03 14:00:10
    Page: 12 > Showing page 1 of 2
    Jump to:
  • Back to Mobile