EVGA

EVGA 2080 Ti XC Ultra OC becoming less and less stable

Author
Zan
  • Total Posts : 4
  • Reward points : 0
  • Ribbons : 0
2020/05/24 13:32:15 (permalink)
So i've had my 2080 TI for less than a year. Its been on water (full cover block and a dedicated 360 rad) since day one and I had no issues doing benchmarks and long gaming sessions on a +170 core | +500 mem overclock (temps never go over 60C).

Now, recently I've been getting hardlocks during gaming (this is also more frequent when playing a game using DX12). I cannot stress enough that temps are the same and have not changed since this started happening! I've done extensive testing with OCCT, Heaven, and Super position (heaven and SP will successfully run benches at my regular OC). OCCT will give errors now if i go above 145 on the core. This was never the case before. I used to only get errors going into +220 territory.

I've reinstalled windows multiple times, i've tried different versions of nvidia drivers (443.xx all the way through the most recent 450 drivers) using DDU to clear them out each time. I've tested with just OCing the core and no mem (memory OC doesn't seem to be the source of the problem, the card can handle +1200 on the mem no issues), I've tried with XMP off, no CPU OCs, and my regular OC of 5GH w/ -2avx. I've removed the block, checked for burnt out components, reapplied TIM, etc. 

Games like MHW and TR i will get artifacting at the menu screen with only a +145 on the core. With TR i can successfully go through the benchmarks multiple times but as soon as i try to play it hardlocks).  And games like Metro exodus will hard lock if i attempt to turn on RTX mode while at 4k (i know the gpu can't handle 4k RTX, but i've been able to turn this on before but just get really garbage framerates. This was just for testing purposes). Some games i can run +170/+500 and no issues some i can't. All of the games that are now hardlocking on me used to be perfectly stable at +170/+500 for the longest time. It seems that depending on what game im playing will determine if i need to adjust my OC settings. I'm starting to see trending degradation in my OC capabilities with this card. Any one having similar problems.

EVGA XC Ultra 2080Ti (samsung die, stock bios)

4 Replies Related Threads

GTXJackBauer
    Omnipotent Enthusiast
    • Total Posts : 10323
    • Ribbons : 48
    Re: EVGA 2080 Ti XC Ultra OC becoming less and less stable 2020/05/24 15:25:24 (permalink)
    Sometimes updates to Windows, BIOS, GPU drivers could throw off any OCs including CPU and or GPUs.  Happens to me almost all the time on my CPU OCs and I have to readjust things a bit.

Use this Associate Code at your checkouts or follow these instructions for Up to 10% OFF on all your EVGA purchases:
    LMD3DNZM9LGK8GJ
    Zan
    Re: EVGA 2080 Ti XC Ultra OC becoming less and less stable 2020/05/25 07:49:12 (permalink)
    Thanks. I also ran the msi OC tuner and i came back with a 107 which is still good for me because that puts me at 2100Mhz on the core. Its not worth pushing it to 2160 and a ton of instability. I was worried that i'd have to RMA my card and i really dont feel like dealing with all that.
    CraptacularOne
    Omnipotent Enthusiast
    • Total Posts : 14533
    • Ribbons : 222
    Re: EVGA 2080 Ti XC Ultra OC becoming less and less stable 2020/05/25 08:06:22 (permalink)
    Zan
    Thanks. I also ran the msi OC tuner and i came back with a 107 which is still good for me because that puts me at 2100Mhz on the core. Its not worth pushing it to 2160 and a ton of instability. I was worried that i'd have to RMA my card and i really dont feel like dealing with all that.

You wouldn't be able to RMA your card anyway. It's running well past it's rated boost frequency even if it's no longer able to clock as high as it once did. You can't RMA a card for better overclocking, it doesn't work that way. That's not what an RMA is for. 

Intel i9 14900K ...............................Ryzen 9 7950X3D
    MSI RTX 4090 Gaming Trio................ASRock Phantom RX 7900 XTX
    Samsung Odyssey G9.......................PiMax 5K Super/Meta Quest 3
    ASUS ROG Strix Z690-F Gaming........ASUS TUF Gaming X670E Plus WiFi
    64GB G.Skill Trident Z5 6800Mhz.......64GB Kingston Fury RGB 6000Mhz
    MSI MPG A1000G 1000w..................EVGA G3 SuperNova 1000w
    Zan
    Re: EVGA 2080 Ti XC Ultra OC becoming less and less stable 2020/05/25 13:26:33 (permalink)
    CraptacularOne
    Zan

You wouldn't be able to RMA your card anyway. It's running well past it's rated boost frequency even if it's no longer able to clock as high as it once did. You can't RMA a card for better overclocking, it doesn't work that way. That's not what an RMA is for. 

I mentioned RMA, because due to the artifacting i thought that there might have been a possible memory issue with the card that i just wasn't seeing. I know that early model 2080 Ti (mine is an early model) were crapping out in droves due to memory problems. And with continuing degradation of instability im getting, I thought that i was seeing the early signs of memory/card failure.
    Jump to:
  • Back to Mobile