EVGA

EVGA 2070: One fan running full speed under load, disregarding fan curve

Author
Profound Gameplay
  • Total Posts : 27
  • Reward points : 0
  • Ribbons : 0
2021/04/19 04:02:13 (permalink)
Hi, my EVGA 2070 XC Gaming has been having an issue recently (just a week or so ago), with one fan running at full speed, despite the temp not reaching anywhere near high enough to warrant that (75c or so is the max my card get at). I have a fan curve setup already, but this fan is disregarding that under load. The other fan is behaving normally. The issue is causing a lot of noise and making it uncomfortable to do gaming. To be clear, this fan runs at full speed (4k RPM) for 2-3 seconds while under load, then goes back to normal, and repeat this process every couple of/few minutes.

Things I tried so far:

- Formatted my PC and re-installed Windows (this should count as a reinstall of GPU drivers, with supposedly no margin of error)
- Installed the latest version of EVGA Precision X1 and MSI Afterburner. Tried using both with a fan curve, did not work (the fan overrides the setting under load)
- Updated my Motherboard BIOS to the latest version

My other PC specs:

- Motherboard: Z370 F-Gaming
- CPU: i7-8700k
- RAM: 16GB, 2666mhz
- Operating System: Windows 10 Pro 21H1, build 19043.928

There is no dust in my PC for sure, so this can't be the cause of the issue. I even double checked and dusted my case just in case the other day, and the issue persisted. I'm lost as to what else to try, so any help is appreciated.

P.S The GPU is still under warranty, but it has been purchased internationally (outside of U.S)
post edited by Profound Gameplay - 2021/04/19 04:04:40

3 Replies Related Threads

ty_ger07
    Insert Custom Title Here
    • Total Posts : 21171
    • Ribbons : 270
    Re: EVGA 2070: One fan running full speed under load, disregarding fan curve 2021/04/19 08:44:22 (permalink)
    I would take the heatsink off and replace the thermal paste on the GPU core.

The core has multiple temperature sensors (an unknown confidential number of temperature sensors). The temperature value reported to us is some sort of average temperature. But it is very likely that there is a hot spot due to missing thermal paste which is causing the GPU's fan to ramp up into protection mode, even though the average temperature reported to you doesn't seem that hot.

This happens, and has been fixed before by a repaste.

ASRock Z77 • Intel Core i7 3770K • EVGA GTX 1080 • Samsung 850 Pro • Seasonic PRIME 600W Titanium
    My EVGA Score: 1546 • Zero Associates Points • I don't shill

Profound Gameplay
    • Total Posts : 27
    • Ribbons : 0
    Re: EVGA 2070: One fan running full speed under load, disregarding fan curve 2021/04/19 11:18:31 (permalink)
    ty_ger07
    I would take the heatsink off and replace the thermal paste on the GPU core.

The core has multiple temperature sensors (an unknown confidential number of temperature sensors). The temperature value reported to us is some sort of average temperature. But it is very likely that there is a hot spot due to missing thermal paste which is causing the GPU's fan to ramp up into protection mode, even though the average temperature reported to you doesn't seem that hot.

This happens, and has been fixed before by a repaste.

Hey, thanks for the answer, but taking the heatsink off and replacing the thermal paste is not something I'm technically able to do. Also, I heard that similar cases to mine are solved with refreshing something called "GPU BIOS cache", so I don't know if it's guaranteed that a repaste is the solution for this.
    ty_ger07
    Insert Custom Title Here
    • Total Posts : 21171
    • Ribbons : 270
    Re: EVGA 2070: One fan running full speed under load, disregarding fan curve 2021/04/19 11:38:32 (permalink)
    GPU BIOS Cache? Never heard of it.

Get it replaced through warranty RMA then. Good luck!

ASRock Z77 • Intel Core i7 3770K • EVGA GTX 1080 • Samsung 850 Pro • Seasonic PRIME 600W Titanium
    My EVGA Score: 1546 • Zero Associates Points • I don't shill

Jump to:
  • Back to Mobile