EVGA

EVGA 1660 thermal throttling issue and 9mm thermal pads as a evga cooling solutiom?!!?

Author
belgradar
  • Total Posts : 27
  • Reward points : 0
  • Ribbons : 0
2020/08/10 12:36:28 (permalink)
I am actually having a similar issue the heat can be managed a bit by adjusting the fans to run all the time at set speed to keep it cool and no thermal throttle in most games.  however, I saw over at gamers nexus that EVGA decided to stack up to 9mm of thermal pads on the memory chips for me its mostly just the insane nose the cards have to reach that drives me nuts.  Does evga have a solution for getting something to deal with the insane size of thermal pads they choose to use rather than a heat transfer plate to save on a few bucks of cash. I am basically stuck with the card I guess at this point.  I am looking for solutions on what I could do to increase that thermal transfer.  I do now downclocking the memory pretty much solves the problem but seems a bit dumb to pay for something that just thermal throttles constantly.

21 Replies Related Threads

Cool GTX
    EVGA Forum Moderator
    • Total Posts : 31001
    • Ribbons : 122
    Re: EVGA 1660 thermal throttling issue and 9mm thermal pads as a evga cooling solutiom?!!? 2020/08/10 12:55:47 (permalink)

belgradar
    I am actually having a similar issue the heat can be managed a bit by adjusting the fans to run all the time at set speed to keep it cool and no thermal throttle in most games.  however, I saw over at gamers nexus that EVGA decided to stack up to 9mm of thermal pads on the memory chips for me its mostly just the insane nose the cards have to reach that drives me nuts.  Does evga have a solution for getting something to deal with the insane size of thermal pads they choose to use rather than a heat transfer plate to save on a few bucks of cash. I am basically stuck with the card I guess at this point.  I am looking for solutions on what I could do to increase that thermal transfer.  I do now downclocking the memory pretty much solves the problem but seems a bit dumb to pay for something that just thermal throttles constantly.

which EVGA part number GPU ?

have a link to gamers nexus review you mention ? Was it a Video or article ?

Learn your way around the EVGA Forums, Rules & limits on new accounts Ultimate Self-Starter Thread For New Members

I am a Volunteer Moderator - not an EVGA employee

https://foldingathome.org -->become a citizen scientist and contribute your compute power to help fight global health threats

RTX Project EVGA X99 FTWK Nibbler EVGA X99 Classified EVGA 3080Ti FTW3 Ultra

belgradar
    Re: EVGA 1660 thermal throttling issue and 9mm thermal pads as a evga cooling solutiom?!!? 2020/08/10 13:00:35 (permalink)
    it likes to delete the video link on me

06G-P4-1068-KR

But this is video title
    GTX 1660 Super Tear-Downs: 9mm of Thermal Pads & Bendy Backplates

edit by Cool GTX embed the video & added link to GPU
    post edited by Cool GTX - 2020/08/10 13:06:37
    Cool GTX
    EVGA Forum Moderator
    Re: EVGA 1660 thermal throttling issue and 9mm thermal pads as a evga cooling solutiom?!!? 2020/08/10 13:01:39 (permalink)
    Limits on low post count members
    Add a space in the url ... skip www.

See: Ultimate Self-Starter Thread For New Members

#4   --> There is an acceptable workaround for posting links until you reach 30 posts.

If you are a newer member and need to add a link, you can simply put spaces in your links such as: https:// forums. evga. com

What temp is your room ?

What case & case fan is your setup using ?

What speed & control are you using for the case fans ?

Getting the heat out of the case before it is recycled into the GPU is important

Learn your way around the EVGA Forums, Rules & limits on new accounts Ultimate Self-Starter Thread For New Members

https://foldingathome.org -->become a citizen scientist and contribute your compute power to help fight global health threats

belgradar
    Re: EVGA 1660 thermal throttling issue and 9mm thermal pads as a evga cooling solutiom?!!? 2020/08/10 13:05:59 (permalink)
    Corsair 750D also have an EVGA CLC 280mm All-In-One RGB LED CPU Liquid Cooler on the top of the case with a few better noctola fans on it to keep it quiet and improve the cooling a lot. all the Power supply air is also looped through the bottom and out the back so no heat there and to fans in the front and one more out at the back.  sorry room temp is like 19-22cel or 66-71f given the time of day. Case fans are controlled by MSI Software with the motherboards thermal sensors  
    post edited by belgradar - 2020/08/10 13:12:43

Attached Image(s)

Cool GTX
    EVGA Forum Moderator
    Re: EVGA 1660 thermal throttling issue and 9mm thermal pads as a evga cooling solutiom?!!? 2020/08/10 13:09:10 (permalink)
    OK,

So you have a 1660 Super   06G-P4-1068-KR

EVGA GeForce GTX 1660 SUPER SC ULTRA GAMING, 06G-P4-1068-KR, 6GB GDDR6, Dual Fan, Metal Backplate

Which way do the fans blow --> In or Out ?

AIO for the CPU is probably controlled by CPU temp

How are the other fans "controlled" ?  fixed RPM, by the temp of some device ?

belgradar
    Re: EVGA 1660 thermal throttling issue and 9mm thermal pads as a evga cooling solutiom?!!? 2020/08/10 13:15:41 (permalink)
    the CPU fans are Controlled by EVGA flow control and the thermal throttle the AIO have the funs pulling air out and the fan on the back pulls air out the 2 fans in front pull air in and the door cover on the front of the 750D case I leave open just the dust filter sits on the front of the fans. Figured it let in more air this way.  I also about once a month I dust out the PC although with all the dust filters on this case it does not get to dusty inside.  the video card fans push air into the card  Case fans are controlled by MSI Software with the motherboards thermal sensors  
    post edited by belgradar - 2020/08/10 13:23:33
    Cool GTX
    EVGA Forum Moderator
    Re: EVGA 1660 thermal throttling issue and 9mm thermal pads as a evga cooling solutiom?!!? 2020/08/10 13:26:19 (permalink)
    Obsidian Series™ 750D Full Tower ATX Case

normally positive air pressure is the coolest running setup --> more fans blow into the case than ou of the case.  This also helps control dust with filters on the intake fans

Simple test to see if airflow is a contributing factor to the GPU heat:

1) Record the GPU temp in "C" by running GPU-Z & note the room temp --> Run a benchmark or other repeatable load to "work" the GPU

2) open side of case / remove side

3) point small fan at the open side

4) Run test a second time to see how much the temp of GPU changes

belgradar
    Re: EVGA 1660 thermal throttling issue and 9mm thermal pads as a evga cooling solutiom?!!? 2020/08/10 13:55:04 (permalink)
    so with the door on the temp got to about 71ishc tried manually playing around with case fan speeds to see if more or less on some fans would help no change in temp with fan door off the temp changed to about 68c if I used a fan and pushed more air up into the card itself there the fan speed would drop to 67. used combustor to try and push the GPU. oddly the GPU fan speeds stayed at about 67% regardless of what happened. which is loud of F part of the reason I been dropping the target power and GPU temp on Precision X1 occicnaly depending on what's being rendered I get a thermal throttle when the GPU hits 79c but it kinda comes and goes thing depending on the game. and what's happening on screen. for the test I also let the fan speeds sit on auto on precision tools because normally depending not he game I manually set GPU fan speed to reduce windtunnel GPU fan sounds those I generally set between 32 and 46%
    belgradar
    Re: EVGA 1660 thermal throttling issue and 9mm thermal pads as a evga cooling solutiom?!!? 2020/08/12 12:09:32 (permalink)
    all this is nifty but there gotta be a better solution then thick thermal tape that's not present on other cards from evga. is there anything I can replace that with to make the smaller some copper as a spacer or a better custom cooling solutions that others have used to solve this rediculas heat build up that's pretty much only solution so far is down clocking the cards ram so it produces less heat
    Cool GTX
    EVGA Forum Moderator
    Re: EVGA 1660 thermal throttling issue and 9mm thermal pads as a evga cooling solutiom?!!? 2020/08/12 13:12:11 (permalink)

3C with the door off shows you need to consider the airflow through your case .. room for improvement .. maybe not huge but still could be better

Your temps look OK
    Easiest test ... set All fans in your case to 100%, note the temps you see, then lower your case fans by a 10% step & retest till you see lowest Temp @ a sound level your comfortable with

You might have to change the direction your fans blow In/Out - for best results - in your PC

Run a benchmark like Time Spy  ... msi kombustor may be a much heavier GPU & RAM load than normal gaming

belgradar
    all this is nifty but there gotta be a better solution then thick thermal tape that's not present on other cards from evga. is there anything I can replace that with to make the smaller some copper as a spacer or a better custom cooling solutions that others have used to solve this rediculas heat build up that's pretty much only solution so far is down clocking the cards ram so it produces less heat

The GPU Die has good contact with the heatsink & only uses TIM ... your looking @ the RAM with the thermal pads

Just watched the video in this thread  @3:20 when he opens the GPU

The  4 mm  pads are On the RAM only & the TIM coverage on the GPU looks good in the video

that one area there is a stack of two pads ~ 9mm to make contact with the cooler - the fins are stepped away from GPU in that zone.

Video mentioned that this card is not software readable for RAM temps ... so unless you use hardware .. no idea what RAM temps are like

some forum members are comfortable checking the factory TIM and replacing it to attempt getting lower temps .. its not for everyone

belgradar
    Re: EVGA 1660 thermal throttling issue and 9mm thermal pads as a evga cooling solutiom?!!? 2020/08/13 22:23:07 (permalink)
    Every person i ever talk to has no issues with EVGA cards but this type because of the huge thermal tape  I guess you glossed over the fact that with the fan pointed under the GPU with the case open still hits a thermal throttle on this card the moment it hits 79c odd since it should not happen till it hits 83c someone I think this whole thing you keep talking about fixing airflow is a bunch of Bull these cards are defective and should be all recalled
    DeadlyMercury
    iCX Member
    • Total Posts : 422
    • Ribbons : 14
    Re: EVGA 1660 thermal throttling issue and 9mm thermal pads as a evga cooling solutiom?!!? 2020/08/15 04:32:15 (permalink)
    Do you understand that "huge thermal tape" is on vram, not on gpu, while you are talking about gpu temperature?

"An original idea. That can't be too hard. The library must be full of them."
    Stephen Fry
    belgradar
    Re: EVGA 1660 thermal throttling issue and 9mm thermal pads as a evga cooling solutiom?!!? 2020/08/15 14:06:32 (permalink)
    DeadlyMercury
    Do you understand that "huge thermal tape" is on VRAM, not on GPU, while you are talking about GPU temperature?

ok so lets say you have all that heat building up on the ram modules and the thermal tape being soo thick is causing the heat to act like insolation making the area warmer. that warm spot with nowhere to spread the heat in the area where the GPU.  And since all the fanboys on this forum think that a few degrees of ambient heat in a PC can cause the GPU to overheat it only makes sense that ambient heat from the ram will also cause the GPU to heat up more then it should.  mabey that does not fit your narrow viewpoint and are also a fanboy
    DeadlyMercury
    iCX Member
    • Total Posts : 422
    • Ribbons : 14
    Re: EVGA 1660 thermal throttling issue and 9mm thermal pads as a evga cooling solutiom?!!? 2020/08/18 00:54:01 (permalink)
    That doesn't work that way ;)

In terms of "heat" gpu is too far away from memory chips to actually get hotter from their heat, also memory doesn't produce significant amount of heat. Yes, that thermal pads are really questionable (I think that memory cooling should be better without them), but they can lead only to memory overheat which will be resulted in errors and artifacts - but not higher gpu temp.

Ambient temp is not "heating gpu" but making heat transfer from radiator to air much harded, same goes to luqid cooling: the lesser difference between water and air - less heat can be transfered from water to air. For example, if water temperature is 35C and ambient temp is 24C - I need full 1600rpm to transfer 500w of heat from water to air. But if water temperature is 57C and air temperature same 24C - I need only 700 rpm to transfer all 500w of heat from water to air.

Anyway you are talking about gpu temp - not memory temp or memory errors caused by overheat. Checking if gpu working better in open stand is first thing to try: maybe it just not enough air inside case. Another thing to check is thermal interface between gpu die and radiator: application could be bad from factory or you can use better TIM. And last thing that could be is that these particular radiator is bad designed for that gpu and amount of heat it should handle. So it is not about placing thick thermal pads on memory - but that this radiator is too small or doesn't have enough heatpipes to work on this gpu with this amount of heat its generates. But in that case every reviewer would mention that after tests - and they did not.
    So it is not that every 1660 with that radiator is overheating - but your particular card is overheating. And that leads only to two options: bad airflow inside case (not enough air intake) or bad TIM (or bad application). And with thermal throttling at 80C if it really occurs - I think you should check 2nd.
    post edited by DeadlyMercury - 2020/08/18 01:05:37

"An original idea. That can't be too hard. The library must be full of them."
    Stephen Fry
    belgradar
    Re: EVGA 1660 thermal throttling issue and 9mm thermal pads as a evga cooling solutiom?!!? 2020/08/18 11:05:31 (permalink)
    DeadlyMercury
    That doesn't work that way ;)

In terms of "heat" gpu is too far away from memory chips to actually get hotter from their heat, also memory doesn't produce significant amount of heat. Yes, that thermal pads are really questionable (I think that memory cooling should be better without them), but they can lead only to memory overheat which will be resulted in errors and artifacts - but not higher gpu temp.

Ambient temp is not "heating gpu" but making heat transfer from radiator to air much harded, same goes to luqid cooling: the lesser difference between water and air - less heat can be transfered from water to air. For example, if water temperature is 35C and ambient temp is 24C - I need full 1600rpm to transfer 500w of heat from water to air. But if water temperature is 57C and air temperature same 24C - I need only 700 rpm to transfer all 500w of heat from water to air.

Anyway you are talking about gpu temp - not memory temp or memory errors caused by overheat. Checking if gpu working better in open stand is first thing to try: maybe it just not enough air inside case. Another thing to check is thermal interface between gpu die and radiator: application could be bad from factory or you can use better TIM. And last thing that could be is that these particular radiator is bad designed for that gpu and amount of heat it should handle. So it is not about placing thick thermal pads on memory - but that this radiator is too small or doesn't have enough heatpipes to work on this gpu with this amount of heat its generates. But in that case every reviewer would mention that after tests - and they did not.
    So it is not that every 1660 with that radiator is overheating - but your particular card is overheating. And that leads only to two options: bad airflow inside case (not enough air intake) or bad TIM (or bad application). And with thermal throttling at 80C if it really occurs - I think you should check 2nd.

the card is stock air cooled not water cooled
    belgradar
    Re: EVGA 1660 thermal throttling issue and 9mm thermal pads as a evga cooling solutiom?!!? 2020/08/18 11:08:49 (permalink)
    Really what this is teaching me is to never buy EVGA again I am done good bye. I will make sure everyone I meet to tell them EVGA is a **** product.

linktjt
    • Total Posts : 5
    Re: EVGA 1660 thermal throttling issue and 9mm thermal pads as a evga cooling solutiom?!!? 2020/08/19 04:21:45 (permalink)
    I've been doing the same thing since I bought this god awful 2060 KO.
    post edited by linktjt - 2020/08/19 04:24:26
    Hillguy
    FTW Member
    • Total Posts : 1320
    • Ribbons : 10
    Re: EVGA 1660 thermal throttling issue and 9mm thermal pads as a evga cooling solutiom?!!? 2020/08/20 09:40:02 (permalink)
    belgradar
    I am actually having a similar issue the "heat can be managed" a bit by adjusting the fans to run "all the time at set speed" to keep it cool and no thermal throttle in most games. 

It appears to me that your goal is to have a silent computer .. yes ?  Sorry but tower style computers and silent just don't go together.    If you are Gaming and you know the card is going to get hot why not have the fans ramp up at a lower temp to avoid the heat that you know is coming ? 

Letting it get HOT and then complaining that it won't cool down has nothing to do with the thermal pads on the Ram of the video card.  By that logic if I turn off my cpu cooler until the chip is really hot and then turn the cooling back on but the chip is thermal throttling , it's the poor heat sink on my Ram Modules that causing the problem ?

I recommend you go buy a laptop they are very quiet.

eVGA RTX 3090 Kingpin Hydrocopper | eVGA X299 Dark | Intel i9 10980XE | Heatkiller IV CPU Block | 32 GB GSkill Trident Z 3200  | 500GB Samsung 860 Evo | Dual Corsair AX1200i PSU's | Dual Koolance RP-1000 Pumps | Dual Koolance EHX-1320 4x120mm Rads | W10 | Asus PB278Q | Acer 20" | Razer Death Stalker | Razer Death Adder | Thermaltake Armor+
    belgradar
    Re: EVGA 1660 thermal throttling issue and 9mm thermal pads as a evga cooling solutiom?!!? 2020/08/20 14:17:42 (permalink)
    Hillguy
    belgradar
    I am actually having a similar issue the "heat can be managed" a bit by adjusting the fans to run "all the time at set speed" to keep it cool and no thermal throttle in most games. 

It appears to me that your goal is to have a silent computer .. yes ?  Sorry but tower style computers and silent just don't go together.    If you are Gaming and you know the card is going to get hot why not have the fans ramp up at a lower temp to avoid the heat that you know is coming ? 

Letting it get HOT and then complaining that it won't cool down has nothing to do with the thermal pads on the Ram of the video card.  By that logic if I turn off my cpu cooler until the chip is really hot and then turn the cooling back on but the chip is thermal throttling , it's the poor heat sink on my Ram Modules that causing the problem ?

I recommend you go buy a laptop they are very quiet.

nope, only issue is EVGA slapped in a gigabyte card in another build for someone's card is almost dead silent while playing the same games. soo no looks like your also talking from your ars Fanboy. Opinion unchanged will never buy EVGA again and will do everything in my power to discredit this POS company.
    Hillguy
    FTW Member
    • Total Posts : 1320
    • Ribbons : 10
    Re: EVGA 1660 thermal throttling issue and 9mm thermal pads as a evga cooling solutiom?!!? 2020/08/20 15:39:38 (permalink)
    Fanboy ? ... that's funny    For the record I could care less what Brand you have or use or buy , your premise is wrong but you don't / won't / can't get it.  

That's fine enjoy !

eVGA RTX 3090 Kingpin Hydrocopper | eVGA X299 Dark | Intel i9 10980XE | Heatkiller IV CPU Block | 32 GB GSkill Trident Z 3200  | 500GB Samsung 860 Evo | Dual Corsair AX1200i PSU's | Dual Koolance RP-1000 Pumps | Dual Koolance EHX-1320 4x120mm Rads | W10 | Asus PB278Q | Acer 20" | Razer Death Stalker | Razer Death Adder | Thermaltake Armor+
    belgradar
    Re: EVGA 1660 thermal throttling issue and 9mm thermal pads as a evga cooling solutiom?!!? 2020/08/22 16:58:45 (permalink)
    Hillguy
    Fanboy ? ... that's funny    For the record I could care less what Brand you have or use or buy , your premise is wrong but you don't / won't / can't get it.  

That's fine enjoy !

the same do you your premise is wrong but mabey right for you but you don't / won't / can't get it as well
    Jump to:
  • Back to Mobile