EVGA 1600T2 - Possible it is tripping a breaker, also replacement cord

Author
johnlz
  • Total Posts : 27
  • Reward points : 0
  • Ribbons : 0
2022/01/16 09:45:44 (permalink)
Hi all,

I have two questions. Hoping someone has an answer to 1 or both of the questions.

1) I have this PSU https://www.evga.com/prod...aspx?pn=220-T2-1600-X1 that I received from an RMA. Never thought much of it, but as of recently I was curious if this power supply could be tripping the breaker in my apartment. Randomly I'll be using my pc and every week or so the breaker gets tripped and I lose power when playing games. Any way to check if this is indeed the culprit. (For reference, running a 3090 white strix), is there a UPS I should buy, in case this keeps happening?

2) Is there an EVGA replacement cord I can buy, to see if I get one that fits firmly into the PSU unit and see if this issue resolves itself?

Thanks in advance!
post edited by johnlz - 2022/01/16 09:46:47

5 Replies Related Threads

Grey_Beard
    CLASSIFIED Member
    • Total Posts : 2233
    • Ribbons : 10
    Re: EVGA 1600T2 - Possible it is tripping a breaker, also replacement cord 2022/01/16 12:31:38 (permalink)
    That unit is draws close to the maximum of a 15AMP circuit.  I have this unit on a dedicated 20AMP circuit and have had zero problems for years.  When you are gaming, it is drawing at close to the max that a 15AMP circuit can handle.  If there is anything else on the circuit, the second it is activated, it will most-likely cause the breaker to trip because of the overload.  My suggestion is to get your rig on a circuit where this is the only thing on it or install a dedicated 20AMP circuit for your rig.

johnlz
    • Total Posts : 27
    Re: EVGA 1600T2 - Possible it is tripping a breaker, also replacement cord 2022/01/16 18:08:35 (permalink)
    Grey_Beard
    That unit is draws close to the maximum of a 15AMP circuit.  I have this unit on a dedicated 20AMP circuit and have had zero problems for years.  When you are gaming, it is drawing at close to the max that a 15AMP circuit can handle.  If there is anything else on the circuit, the second it is activated, it will most-likely cause the breaker to trip because of the overload.  My suggestion is to get your rig on a circuit where this is the only thing on it or install a dedicated 20AMP circuit for your rig.

How would I go about installing a 20AMP circuit for my rig. Is there any DIY stuff. I'm in an apartment so if I got to mess with any in wall electrical it won't be an option sadly.
    the_Scarlet_one
    formerly Scarlet-tech
    • Total Posts : 24581
    • Ribbons : 79
    Re: EVGA 1600T2 - Possible it is tripping a breaker, also replacement cord 2022/01/16 18:38:08 (permalink)
    Your best bet is to talk to maintenance for your apartment, and ask them if they can upgrade your breaker. The wiring would absolutely need to support the upgrade from 15a to 20a, so that may not be an option. If the wiring only supports 15a, they will never install a 20a breaker.

Like grey_beard stated, if you have anything else on the circuit, like a refrigerator, microwave, washing machine, or large item that can pull significant power loads, then it is going to trip.

For starters, you can easily move to a different outlet that you know is on a different breaker. Move from the living room to a bedroom, and see if the trips continue.

If you know where your breaker box is, you can buy a Klein tool circuit breaker finder, and use that to find a different circuit that you can try out.

Klein Tools ET310 AC Circuit Breaker Finder with Integrated GFCI Outlet Tester https://smile.amazon.com/...ncoding=UTF8&psc=1
    Grey_Beard
    CLASSIFIED Member
    • Total Posts : 2233
    • Ribbons : 10
    Re: EVGA 1600T2 - Possible it is tripping a breaker, also replacement cord 2022/01/16 18:55:21 (permalink)
    Apartments are notoriously a wiring mess.  Circuits make no sense and are done to reduce building costs, so there could be no rhyme or reason.  Since this is an apartment, you need to find out what is on what circuit.  I lived in apartments where the bedroom was tied to the range. Where the living room was tied to the lights in three rooms.  Additionally, nothing is ever labeled in the panel.

Yes, the wiring needs to support the line‘s amperage.  You need to request it, but they could deny it or charge you a major fee to do it.  Depends on your management team and if they have any electricians available.  I would not let the maintenance guy do it.  That would risk more than I would feel comfortable with.

Lesson here is never build a rig that is more than the circuits where you reside can handle.  
    post edited by Grey_Beard - 2022/01/16 18:57:54

maikuru2323
    • Total Posts : 13
    Re: EVGA 1600T2 - Possible it is tripping a breaker, also replacement cord 2022/01/22 08:03:36 (permalink)
    I Just bought This same power supply a couple of weeks ago.  My house was old knob and tube wiring with those glass fuses up until about a year back.  Electrical work is a major undertaking and is dangerous if you have no prior knowledge.  I replaced my panel and rewired most of my home with Romex.  I ran a homerun specifically for my computer and put a 20AMP breaker for that set of outlets my computer is on.  As pointed out previously, the wiring route could go anywhere as it depends on the electrician that originally wired the building or did maintenance over the years.

Jump to:
  • Back to Mobile