EVGA

EVGA 1080ti FTW3 Gaming + Kraken x61/Kraken g12 bracket

Author
Spongey
  • Total Posts : 14
  • Reward points : 0
  • Ribbons : 0
2018/04/17 20:39:50 (permalink)
I recently upgraded my CPU from the 6600k to the 8700k plus I wanted to test the waters with the EVGA CLC 280mm AIO. I already had the Kraken x61 for almost 2 years and it has served me well. I figured that I would grab the Kraken g12 gpu bracket and mount the Kraken AIO to my GPU. After having seen idle and prime95 temps from both 280mm AIO solutions the EVGA takes a slight lead with a 2c idle/5c load decrease over the NZXT model. Was happy that I finally got my 8700k running at 5.2ghz stable(highest clock I have ever personally had on a computer), but the extra 100mhz was not worth the $119 plus the extra $45 I sprung for 2 140mm EK Vardar fans. The fans that come with the EVGA AIO are ridiculously loud and if you are running a heavy OC then please replace them. They are not bad, but once over 1500rpm, the noise can be annoying. The EK fans at 100% full time are whisper quite. 

Anyways, Called EVGA and was told no beuno on getting the GPU mounting bracket without buying the entire kit. Denied, after spending $325 on a GTX 970 FTW 2 years ago, then gave em another $1,000 for a GTX 1080ti FTW3 at the beginning of this year. Meh, guess loyalty doesn't buy loyalty. Figured since I just bought the EVGA 280mm AIO then I'd have the ability to spring a few more dollars to get a GPU bracket/shroud. Seems like a dumb decision to not allow the shroud/bracket to be sold separately from the hybrid kit. I know the tubes on the hybrid kit enter on the side, but the shroud can be left off to accommodate the top inlet water block. The EVGA and NZXT AIO use the exact same mounting kit so they would both work. Even though 280mm is probably a bit much for a GPU, there is no reason not to use it since all it will do is collect dust. 

So my questions are,

1) Is there anyone that has experience with the NZXT g12 GPU bracket and the 1080ti FTW3. The compatibility list does not have the FTW3 listed and I have read that it does not fit and also that it does fit.

2a) Does using an AIO solution to water cool a GPU mean that the mid-plate(the black plate that contacts the VRM/Mosfets) has to be removed in order to fit?
and if so,
2b) Will using aftermarket VRM/Mosfet heatsinks be just as sufficient for cooling those components? Since power draw is pretty big on the 1080ti FTW3 I want to make sure that there is adequate cooling for each.

3) I am decent with CAD's, have the 3d printer and have the ability to make a well designed custom shroud. However, I am a bit shy when it comes to the actual mounts that need to be made in order to secure the pump/water block to the GPU. I have a friend in the area with his own machine shop, so that is not a problem. Does anyone have any ideas? I would like to have this part made with metal, but I can easily print a  teethed retention ring with holes measured out to the distance between the 4 holes that surround the GPU chip and then just use 4 1-inch m3 screws and just tighten this down. I am just worried that I would run the risk of putting to much pressure on the actual GPU chip. With using the NZXT g12, the bracket has already been tested by that company and designed per specs. 

Thanks for reading and Any help would be great! 

8 Replies Related Threads

mark_thaddeus
    Superclocked Member
    • Total Posts : 166
    • Ribbons : 3
    Re: EVGA 1080ti FTW3 Gaming + Kraken x61/Kraken g12 bracket 2018/04/18 07:26:36 (permalink)
    I've used the Kraken G12 together with my FTW3 before, and I can definitely help answer your questions.

1. Yes it does fit the FTW3
    2a. You need to remove the back-plate, at least that's what I did for it to work.
    2b. I also used heatsinks as you mentioned and temps were fine and you can monitor this via Precision-X.
    3. No need to do a shroud if you're using the G12, since that serves as the shroud in a way. You could add one to attach to the G12, but that would require you to work around it and have the part to get exact measurements.

post edited by mark_thaddeus - 2018/04/18 18:28:42

4.6 Ghz 4790k - Z97I Plus - 1080 Ti FTW3 Hybrid - 16 GB HyperX Savage 2133 DDR3 -  Crucial MX500 1 TB - Seasonic SS 660XP Platinum
    Spongey
    Re: EVGA 1080ti FTW3 Gaming + Kraken x61/Kraken g12 bracket 2018/04/18 17:38:08 (permalink)
    Thank you for the help and letting me know that it fits. I have been over my buddies machine shop all day and we finally came up with an idea. We made prototypes out of some old stainless steel and now we are waiting for the Flat Stock pure copper plates I ordered. I was not much help, but damn my buddy created a few magnificent brackets. Also has designs for a mid-plate and back-plate once the copper arrives. The Kraken g12 would be the simple solution and I highly doubt there will be much difference temp wise, I just like the idea of having a mirror finished copper back-plate with the RGB lights flashing. Plus the g12 is about 4 inches shorter than the FTW3 PCB. The idea is simple, the brackets will have cutouts to perfectly allow the VRM/Mosfet heatsinks to be fitted. So far I am tinkering with the shroud CAD. I will be adding mounting holes for 2 90-92mm PWN fans with the AIO bracket right in the middle. Basically the way the stock FTW3 shroud is except with the AIO taking the spot of the middle fan. Thanks again for the help and I'll post some pictures up step by step once all parts are machined and printed. If it becomes to much of a headache then I'll just grab the g12. Thanks again!
    mark_thaddeus
    Superclocked Member
    Re: EVGA 1080ti FTW3 Gaming + Kraken x61/Kraken g12 bracket 2018/04/18 18:28:07 (permalink)
    I would love to see pics as you go along on this project! I do have a few comments, having 2-92mm fans would increase noise while not really adding any benefit since 1 fan does the job. Also having the middle as the AIO part might be an issue since the GPU chip is located where the left most fan is.

4.6 Ghz 4790k - Z97I Plus - 1080 Ti FTW3 Hybrid - 16 GB HyperX Savage 2133 DDR3 -  Crucial MX500 1 TB - Seasonic SS 660XP Platinum
    Cool GTX
    EVGA Forum Moderator
    • Total Posts : 30735
    • Ribbons : 123
    Re: EVGA 1080ti FTW3 Gaming + Kraken x61/Kraken g12 bracket 2018/04/18 18:38:52 (permalink)
    Looking forward to some pictures when you mods are done to your GPU

Learn your way around the EVGA Forums, Rules & limits on new accounts Ultimate Self-Starter Thread For New Members

I am a Volunteer Moderator - not an EVGA employee

Older RIG projects RTX Project  Nibbler

Spongey
    Re: EVGA 1080ti FTW3 Gaming + Kraken x61/Kraken g12 bracket 2018/04/18 19:34:56 (permalink)
    Well, I sure feel more useless. I have not taken apart my 1080ti yet so I looked up a picture of the FTW3 pcb. I have the correct measurements for each hole, but I did not pay close enough attention this morning. After looking more carefully, I realized that I have spent a few hours working on this CAD plus all the work today at the shop for nothing. I was looking at it backwards thinking that the side with the monitor connectors was the rear and the side with the power connectors was the front. How in the world did I miss this? That is real laziness. Just called my buddy and told him that the mid-plate design is backwards. Glad I read this message before the copper plates came in. Now I can just use 1 120mm fan and give it a 10 degree grade so the air moves across the pcb out towards the back. Works out better this way because most of those smaller fans are either DELTA/NIDEC loud or either don't have the ability to move much air. I have these EVGA 140mm fans, but they get to loud for my liking. I have the Thermaltake x31 View case and every spot that holds a fan is holding the EK Vardar EVO 140ER White(2000rpm). The most silent 140mm fans plus you do not have to sacrifice CFM or Static Pressure to get that reduction in noise. 108CFM @2k rpm. I bought 2 a few months ago and on that day I had 6 more being shipped to me, well worth the $22 for each one. I'll see what it looks like with a 140mm on it cooling the VRM/Mosfet, but probably will have to use the 120mm version. The one thing I do worry about is with using the AIO just for the GPU and not having the same cooling efficiency as the stock heatsink/shroud for the other iCX sensors, will this defeat the purpose? With GPU Boost 3.0 and how it works, I hope there are some kind of gains to be made. The good thing about my GPU is that I get 2052mhz/stock memory on the cooling I currently have. I spent 2-3 days trying to find a good OC for my card, but after numerous firestrike/heaven/realbench test and comparisons I could never find any setting better than stock. My power target is still at 100%, gpu/memory clock still at 0. When I was attempting to OC, it seemed benchmarks hovered around the same scores/fps but boost clock would throttle just enough to offset any gains by adding power or more to the core. Hopefully, putting 280mm of Rad on it will let me get that 2.1k boost or even a stable OC near there.  

And will def be posting pictures of this project. Also, will be willing to email CAD files of entire bracket and shroud(gotta start from scratch on shroud) once I am finished up if anyone happens to like over an aftermarket piece. 

Later

Attached Image(s)

mark_thaddeus
    Superclocked Member
    Re: EVGA 1080ti FTW3 Gaming + Kraken x61/Kraken g12 bracket 2018/04/18 23:02:33 (permalink)
    You shouldn't worry about the AIO just cooling the GPU chip as that's how it's setup with typical AIO coolers. For EVGA the hybrid also cools the memory chips. From my experience of using AIOs on GPU (more than 7+ years) it hardly makes a difference since mosfets, memory chips, etc. are all rated to run at high temps. On air cooling and stock heat sink you should see those temps on load around 60-70*C, you should see the same or lower when you put heat sinks on them and have a fan blowing over them.

mark_thaddeus
    Superclocked Member
    Re: EVGA 1080ti FTW3 Gaming + Kraken x61/Kraken g12 bracket 2018/04/18 23:06:42 (permalink)
    I forgot to mention that by using the AIO, your card will definitely run cooler and will stabilize the GPU boost compared to the stock heat sink. These card are built that as soon as you hit 50*C (I can't remember exactly off the top of my head) and every 5 degrees higher, it starts to down clock in increments. So you should see more stable clocks versus having it aircooled. For my card on air I would see the boost clocks go down in the 19xx clocks as soon as it hit 60*C (stock no oc) but when I used my AIO it stayed in the 2xxx+ clocks almost all the time!

second_coming
    • Total Posts : 4
    Re: EVGA 1080ti FTW3 Gaming + Kraken x61/Kraken g12 bracket 2018/04/19 09:01:11 (permalink)
    Have a look here, this guy seems to have done it and had good results: 

edit: looks like I can't post links :/

Search on these forums for "1080ti FTW³ + Kraken G12 + Arctic Liquid Freezer 360" and it should find the post
    post edited by second_coming - 2018/04/19 09:06:07
    Jump to:
  • Back to Mobile