Hot!EVGA 1080Ti FTW3, games crashing to desktop or whole computer crashing

Author
Engnsn
  • Total Posts : 2
  • Reward points : 0
  • Ribbons : 0
2020/05/30 02:44:09 (permalink)
Hello,
I have an  EVGA 1080Ti FTW3 (11G-P4-6696-KR) since January 2018. For the past couple of weeks, whenever I play games, after at most 5-10 minutes but usually 2-3 minutes, games crash to desktop. Sometimes, both of my displays go black and the GPU fans start turning really fast (I do not know how fast since I cannot see the Precision software at that point). In that case, I can only restart the computer using the power button on the case (Ctrl+Alt+Del; Win+Ctrl+Shift+B or Alt+F4 do not work). In both cases, I have Precision open on my second display and GPU temps right before crashing do not go above 76-77C. In Windows Event Viewer, I always see "Display driver nvlddmkm stopped responding and was recovered."

Here are my system specs:
ASUS Z97 Sabertooth Mark 1 Motherboard
Core i7-4790K @ 4.0GHz stock with a Noctua NH-D15 cooler
2x8GB Corsair DDR3 RAM
Corsair HX850i PSU (around 6 months old, so I doubt that's the problem)
1x ASUS PG279Q @ 1440p120Hz
1x LG D2342P @ 1080p60Hz
3 HDDs and 2 SSDs
Other than these, I have a standard usb keyboard, a usb mouse and my headphones plugged into the back of the motherboard.

I have tried the following:
-Uninstall Nvidia drivers using DDU and uninstall Precision both in safe mode, make a clean install of these. -> Games still crash.
-Enable GPU Debug Mode in Nvidia Control Panel. -> Games still crash.
-Underclock the card as far as possible using the sliders in Precision. -> Games still crash.
-Underclock the card and set the power limit to somewhere around 80% in Precision. -> Games still crash.
-I also reseated the card, checked all power supply connections. -> Games still crash.
-Change to slave BIOS on the card. -> Games still crash.

By trial and error, I found that setting the power limit to 80-81% and leaving the sliders at 0 in Precision and then enabling Debug Mode in Nvidia Control Panel solves the issue to some degree. Most games do not crash, but I get really low performance (for instance, GTA V with medium to high settings: around 45 fps and frequent dips to low 30s whereas previously I would always get around 60-70ish fps constantly). When playing games, CPU usage rarely goes above 70% and CPU temps are normal. RAM usage is also maxed around 65-70% depending on the game I'm playing.

In addition, I disabled debug mode and set the power target to 100% again and ran 3DMark TimeSpy, but after some time the graphics test crashed to desktop as well.

I have contacted EVGA support and they told me to ship the card to their service center in Germany and that they would help me as I still have around 5 months left on the warranty. However, after seeing RedCuba's post  I decided to ask you guys on the forum before sending the card to RMA. His issue is almost the same as mine, so do you people suggest that I open the card and replace the thermal paste, which will be faster as I have thermal paste at home? Or should I just send it to RMA and be done with it? Any other suggestions are also very welcome.

Thanks in advance for the help.
post edited by Engnsn - 2020/05/30 02:49:20

9 Replies Related Threads

arestavo
    CLASSIFIED Member
    • Total Posts : 4524
    • Ribbons : 27
    Re: EVGA 1080Ti FTW3, games crashing to desktop or whole computer crashing 2020/05/30 07:26:21 (permalink)
    As long as you don't cause physical damage, there's nothing wrong with trying - if you're comfortable with TiM replacement.

Just be very careful because any damage will void the warranty.
    post edited by arestavo - 2020/05/30 07:28:33

EVGA affiliate code: 9ZWDWFNW6A
    (Don't forget to upload your invoice or no credit is given!)

FOLD ON

Sajin
    EVGA Forum Moderator
    • Total Posts : 41930
    • Ribbons : 197
    Re: EVGA 1080Ti FTW3, games crashing to desktop or whole computer crashing 2020/05/30 07:31:00 (permalink)
    Wouldn't hurt to try and replace the paste if you're comfortable doing so.

Want to save 5 to 10% on your next EVGA purchase? Just click on the associates banner to save, or enter the associates code at checkout on your next purchase. If you choose to use my code I want to personally say "Thank You" for using it.

RainStryke
    The Advocate
    • Total Posts : 15595
    • Ribbons : 55
    Re: EVGA 1080Ti FTW3, games crashing to desktop or whole computer crashing 2020/05/30 09:08:09 (permalink)
    Definitely take that thing apart. It's not hard and there are plenty of videos you can follow.

This guy took some decent video of that process to install his waterblock:
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rDqHctG6lZA

I would recommend this thermal paste for your GPU:
    https://www.ekwb.com/shop/ek-tim-ectotherm-5g

They also sell thermal pads:
    https://www.ekwb.com/shop/thermal-pad-g-0-5mm-120x24mm
    https://www.ekwb.com/shop/thermal-pad-g-0-5mm-120x24mm

From what I can see, it looks like your card uses .5mm thickness thermal pads on everything except for the strip that covers the copper heat pipe is 1mm thick. According to this waterblock install document:
    https://www.ekwb.com/shop/EK-IM/EK-IM-3830046991881.pdf

Not 100% sure though, might need to confirm with EVGA support to double check on the thermal pad thickness.

Just a heads up... if you do replace the thermal pads. You will need a razor blade or something pretty sharp to slice up the pieces you need. Just make sure to NEVER make your cuts while the thermal pad is on the PCB, you could potentially slice into the PCB and damage electrical lines.

One other thing I would recommend... take pictures during the removal process, you should have a cell phone you can snap a few pictures to remember where certain screws go when you are putting it all back together. Sometimes you just can't find a part of the process in videos on youtube and you have to rely on your own notes to get it put back together the correct way. I found that way to be pretty effective.

Main PC|CPU: Intel i9 10900K|CPU Cooler:EK-Velocity|Motherboard:MSI MEG Z490 ACE|GPU:NVIDIA RTX 2080 Ti with EKWB Vector|Monitor:Dell S2716DG|RAM:32GB G.Skill Trident Z Royal 4000MHz CL18|PSU:EVGA P2 1000|SSD:Samsung EVO 970 1TB|Case:Lian Li PC-011|Fans:Cougar Vortex CF-V12HPB x9|Radiators:Corsair XR5 360MM x3|Pump/Reservoir:EKWB EK-XRES 140 Revo D5 RGB PWM| 3DMark Results:Time Spy|Time Spy Extreme|Port Royal

Engnsn
    • Total Posts : 2
    Re: EVGA 1080Ti FTW3, games crashing to desktop or whole computer crashing 2020/05/30 15:30:17 (permalink)
    Hello again,
    Following your suggestions and watching a couple of videos on YouTube, I decided to go ahead and replace the thermal paste. I took some photos before cleaning it:

I was surprised to see that there is almost no paste on the right half. I cleaned both the GPU and the heatsink side:

Then I applied new thermal paste, though I forgot to take a photo after applying it. I put the card back together, and to be honest the results are much better than I expected. At 100% power target in Precision and with debug mode disabled, I ran both TimeSpy and FireStrike without any problems. I tried some games as well and the GPU temp at full load never goes above 73C with the default fan curves. I think it now runs better than when I first bought it. I will also order some thermal pads just in case. I might replace them in the future.

I will test it for a few days more but so far I'm very happy with it. Thank you all for the help!
    post edited by Engnsn - 2020/05/30 15:32:39
    chrisdglong
    CLASSIFIED ULTRA Member
    • Total Posts : 6973
    • Ribbons : 6
    Re: EVGA 1080Ti FTW3, games crashing to desktop or whole computer crashing 2020/05/30 20:45:34 (permalink)
    76-77c? Yeah, that was not the problem.
    Sajin
    EVGA Forum Moderator
    Re: EVGA 1080Ti FTW3, games crashing to desktop or whole computer crashing 2020/05/30 22:09:43 (permalink)
    Engnsn
    Hello again,
    Following your suggestions and watching a couple of videos on YouTube, I decided to go ahead and replace the thermal paste. I took some photos before cleaning it:

I was surprised to see that there is almost no paste on the right half. I cleaned both the GPU and the heatsink side:

Then I applied new thermal paste, though I forgot to take a photo after applying it. I put the card back together, and to be honest the results are much better than I expected. At 100% power target in Precision and with debug mode disabled, I ran both TimeSpy and FireStrike without any problems. I tried some games as well and the GPU temp at full load never goes above 73C with the default fan curves. I think it now runs better than when I first bought it. I will also order some thermal pads just in case. I might replace them in the future.

I will test it for a few days more but so far I'm very happy with it. Thank you all for the help!

Want to save 5 to 10% on your next EVGA purchase? Just click on the associates banner to save, or enter the associates code at checkout on your next purchase. If you choose to use my code I want to personally say "Thank You" for using it.

Ijazvedo
    • Total Posts : 1
    Re: EVGA 1080Ti FTW3, games crashing to desktop or whole computer crashing 2020/06/28 09:00:14 (permalink)
    Hey guys, Hope you're all good.
    I have a bit similar issue to what @Engnsn described.

It does not matter what type of game I try to start, or whether I start it in full screen or borderless,
    the loading screens go through but when it would start the "proper" 3D, every game crashes to black screen or gets frozen on the first frame and goes back to desktop.

The only occasion when I was able to observe some "3D action" on the screen is when I fired up Unigine Heaven. There the first few frames run (barely 1 second) and then they break up to colors.
    Im worried that my PSU could be to blame but Im more worried that my GPU died.
    Why suspect the PSU first? Because its the oldest part of my build, because I hope that to be the culprit considering the cheaper option to be afraid of,
    plus, suspect because on desktop, HWinfo shows GPU input power SUM as 8-10 W but in proper games the consumption is 250-ish W.
    So I believe as of yet that I might be lucky by changing the PSU, thought I ask You before even spending more.

Note before the build details:
    I tried switching GPU bios, tried XOC KBOOST on/off, tried overclocked/default, tried individually adjusting power target, voltage in XOC, GPU and MEM clocks, etc.
    Important note: when running OC scan on either XOC or X1 to let the card find its best OC for itself, both froze my PC that I had to restart it since the day of purchase.
    First I thought, oh well, I might not won the bin lottery but now Im suspicious.
    Temperatures never been an issue, considering on water.
    My card still has 400+ days in warranty but if we get to the point where we can resolve with a "simple" PSU exchange its better than sending my card back for who knows how long.

What I have onboard:

2x 8GB HyperX Fury 2133 DDR4
    Maximus Hero X
    RM 750 PSU
    4 SSDs
    1 M.2.
    EVGA 1080Ti assembled with EVGA Hydro Copper Waterblock which I have purchased separately from EVGA direct,

Thank You for any inputs in advance. Anything could help me at this point.

UPDATE:

Bad news I guess:
    Unigine Heaven runs for a while, never finishes, on either 4K full screen (where I use whis card at) or 1440p or 1080p window or full screen,
    but it only runs lets say 1-2 minutes long if I adjust all the following in XOC (even then it crashes, even without starting the benchmark.
    within the 1-2 minutes it runs, constant artifacting occurs, smaller or larger blocks flash in and out):

- Power Target down to 75% (from either 120 or 127)
    - GPU clock target: -200 Mhz (from 0)
    - Mem clock target: -489 Mhz (from 0)
    - Voltage : +0%

GPU Temps. Max 45°C - No change to when it was normally operating
    GPU Board temps (MEMs and PWRs), PWR4 "hottest" with 40°C 

Boy I feel bad...
    post edited by Ijazvedo - 2020/06/28 09:54:03
    Sajin
    EVGA Forum Moderator
    Re: EVGA 1080Ti FTW3, games crashing to desktop or whole computer crashing 2020/06/28 21:48:58 (permalink)
    Ijazvedo
    Hey guys, Hope you're all good.
    I have a bit similar issue to what @Engnsn described.

It does not matter what type of game I try to start, or whether I start it in full screen or borderless,
    the loading screens go through but when it would start the "proper" 3D, every game crashes to black screen or gets frozen on the first frame and goes back to desktop.

The only occasion when I was able to observe some "3D action" on the screen is when I fired up Unigine Heaven. There the first few frames run (barely 1 second) and then they break up to colors.
    Im worried that my PSU could be to blame but Im more worried that my GPU died.
    Why suspect the PSU first? Because its the oldest part of my build, because I hope that to be the culprit considering the cheaper option to be afraid of,
    plus, suspect because on desktop, HWinfo shows GPU input power SUM as 8-10 W but in proper games the consumption is 250-ish W.
    So I believe as of yet that I might be lucky by changing the PSU, thought I ask You before even spending more.

Note before the build details:
    I tried switching GPU bios, tried XOC KBOOST on/off, tried overclocked/default, tried individually adjusting power target, voltage in XOC, GPU and MEM clocks, etc.
    Important note: when running OC scan on either XOC or X1 to let the card find its best OC for itself, both froze my PC that I had to restart it since the day of purchase.
    First I thought, oh well, I might not won the bin lottery but now Im suspicious.
    Temperatures never been an issue, considering on water.
    My card still has 400+ days in warranty but if we get to the point where we can resolve with a "simple" PSU exchange its better than sending my card back for who knows how long.

What I have onboard:

2x 8GB HyperX Fury 2133 DDR4
    Maximus Hero X
    RM 750 PSU
    4 SSDs
    1 M.2.
    EVGA 1080Ti assembled with EVGA Hydro Copper Waterblock which I have purchased separately from EVGA direct,

Thank You for any inputs in advance. Anything could help me at this point.

UPDATE:

Bad news I guess:
    Unigine Heaven runs for a while, never finishes, on either 4K full screen (where I use whis card at) or 1440p or 1080p window or full screen,
    but it only runs lets say 1-2 minutes long if I adjust all the following in XOC (even then it crashes, even without starting the benchmark.
    within the 1-2 minutes it runs, constant artifacting occurs, smaller or larger blocks flash in and out):

- Power Target down to 75% (from either 120 or 127)
    - GPU clock target: -200 Mhz (from 0)
    - Mem clock target: -489 Mhz (from 0)
    - Voltage : +0%

GPU Temps. Max 45°C - No change to when it was normally operating
    GPU Board temps (MEMs and PWRs), PWR4 "hottest" with 40°C 

Boy I feel bad...

Sounding like a card issue imo. Let us know how the psu replacement goes.

Sammyzuko
    • Total Posts : 1
    Re: EVGA 1080Ti FTW3, games crashing to desktop or whole computer crashing 2020/07/02 15:33:02 (permalink)
    Engnsn
    Hello again,

Any update?
    Jump to:
  • Back to Mobile