EPIC Game Store Warning

Author
KLEYBA
SSC Member
  • Total Posts : 936
  • Reward points : 0
  • Ribbons : 12
2019/04/06 19:02:50 (permalink)
I had to cancel my USAA bank card, file a fraud report, and wait for funds reimbursement because my card number was stolen from the Epic Game Store! Tencent is a Chinese owned company that is partnered w/ Epic to hold user accounts.  That is how my card number was sold on the web. The buyer, in China, then charged a bunch of crap on my VA payday. I always check to see if the VA paid me the right amount every time. I was shocked to see all of these charges that were from merchants with whom I never do business.

I made a complaint to Epic. Their response: It was my fault for not having a strong password! yeah, my fault!!!

luckily I have USAA. they are awesome on fighting for their military members! If you are a vet or in the military, you gotta get USAA

14 Replies Related Threads

Brad_Hawthorne
    Insert Custom Title Here
    • Total Posts : 23174
    • Ribbons : 39
    Re: EPIC Game Store Warning 2019/04/06 20:43:31 (permalink)
    There is definitely some sort of shenanigans going on with the Epic Store. #1 I have never registered for the Epic Store. #2 The Epic store is sending me a password reset notice for an account with a randomize username which is just a jumble of letters about 25 characters long. Either hackers are doing something wierd, or Epic Store is trying to falsely inflate their user account numbers with harvested email addresses. Neither of which endears me to their trashy service.
    blackforce
    SSC Member
    • Total Posts : 883
    • Ribbons : 0
    Re: EPIC Game Store Warning 2019/04/06 22:01:16 (permalink)
    A strong password to what account with epic or your bank card? 
    and my card is locked in the city i live and every purchase over 5 bucks has to be sent to me 
    so even when i use 1 min later i get a email and text right away, set it up then you could have called the bank right 
    away and turned the card off. i use epic and i don't save my info with no internet store of any kind, hell i even have to put my info in when i pay my bills lol.
    blackforce
    SSC Member
    Re: EPIC Game Store Warning 2019/04/06 22:02:40 (permalink)
    Brad_Hawthorne
    There is definitely some sort of shenanigans going on with the Epic Store. #1 I have never registered for the Epic Store. #2 The Epic store is sending me a password reset notice for an account with a randomize username which is just a jumble of letters about 25 characters long. Either hackers are doing something wierd, or Epic Store is trying to falsely inflate their user account numbers with harvested email addresses. Neither of which endears me to their trashy service.

Let us see this so called email or you just made that up.
    GTXJackBauer
    Omnipotent Enthusiast
    • Total Posts : 10323
    • Ribbons : 48
    Re: EPIC Game Store Warning 2019/04/06 22:52:54 (permalink)
    Brad_Hawthorne

Either hackers are doing something wierd, or Epic Store is trying to falsely inflate their user account numbers with harvested email addresses. Neither of which endears me to their trashy service.

Surely it's hackers and are trying to use your email as their email address which really doesn't do anything unless of course they have your PW to your email address.

I'm starting to do the 2 step verification where ever it's available and I don't use the same PW on every account I have.

This is why I only use Paypal for all my purchases.

Use this Associate Code at your checkouts or follow these instructions for Up to 10% OFF on all your EVGA purchases:
    LMD3DNZM9LGK8GJ
    knightsilver
    Omnipotent Enthusiast
    • Total Posts : 9430
    • Ribbons : 14
    Re: EPIC Game Store Warning 2019/04/06 23:15:51 (permalink)
    Epic Store and Orgin I have no problem not using, can kiss my butt....
    blackforce
    SSC Member
    Re: EPIC Game Store Warning 2019/04/06 23:44:58 (permalink)
    your problem get help.
    knightsilver

knightsilver
    Omnipotent Enthusiast
    • Total Posts : 9430
    • Ribbons : 14
    Re: EPIC Game Store Warning 2019/04/07 02:51:20 (permalink)
    Was only my opinion dude! 
    blackforce
    SSC Member
    Re: EPIC Game Store Warning 2019/04/07 09:57:04 (permalink)
    oh ok good to hear.

KLEYBA
    SSC Member
    • Total Posts : 936
    • Ribbons : 12
    Re: EPIC Game Store Warning 2019/04/07 12:15:48 (permalink)
    It was a mess. But my bank was quick to sort it out. Pretty much all of my monthly pay was gone. My password was extremely strong. It's just that Epic is partnered with a shady Chinese company.

I hear Fortnight user accounts were hacked all the time. I deleted my Epic account. I only use Steam and Origin from now on.

I'm totally fine with waiting for the dumb Exclusivity thing to run out.
    Cool GTX
    EVGA Forum Moderator
    • Total Posts : 30983
    • Ribbons : 122
    Re: EPIC Game Store Warning 2019/04/07 12:21:49 (permalink)
    dang ... happy to see USAA took care of you

Learn your way around the EVGA Forums, Rules & limits on new accounts Ultimate Self-Starter Thread For New Members

I am a Volunteer Moderator - not an EVGA employee

https://foldingathome.org -->become a citizen scientist and contribute your compute power to help fight global health threats

RTX Project EVGA X99 FTWK Nibbler EVGA X99 Classified EVGA 3080Ti FTW3 Ultra

Bee_Dee_3_Dee
    SSC Member
    • Total Posts : 598
    • Ribbons : 23
    Re: EPIC Game Store Warning 2019/04/07 22:58:12 (permalink)
    KLEYBA
    I had to cancel my USAA bank card, file a fraud report, and wait for funds reimbursement because my card number was stolen from the Epic Game Store! Tencent is a Chinese owned company that is partnered w/ Epic to hold user accounts.  That is how my card number was sold on the web. The buyer, in China, then charged a bunch of crap on my VA payday. I always check to see if the VA paid me the right amount every time. I was shocked to see all of these charges that were from merchants with whom I never do business.

I made a complaint to Epic. Their response: It was my fault for not having a strong password! yeah, my fault!!!

luckily I have USAA. they are awesome on fighting for their military members! If you are a vet or in the military, you gotta get USAA

ty for the info.

when I first saw the post u made yesterday (Here)... i wasn't sure what to think.

I first noticed u had 900+ posts on these forums. so u must be cool.

Then I started thinking about most of things like u said ^^.

Ty to all others posting with addition info here too.

Epic games is doing the opposite of what a new company should do. The Customer is always right, has always been the way to start and the mantra to stick with; for the entire life of a company.

I luv all games in the Metro series, but Metro Exodus (released 15 February 2019) exclusively on Epic games for just one year; combined with the disrespect shown EVGA Forum member KLEYBA by Epic Games; has me boycotting it until 15 February 2020! At that time I will purchase it elsewhere!

Unless, EVGA Forum member KLEYBA, receives a full apology from Epic Games/ Store. And he's compensated for all the hassle he experienced. Plus, Epic Games/ Store MUST implement a security system that makes it as safe as can be reasonably hoped to be when purchasing and participating with Epic Games and the Epic Store.

Atrocious! Ppl that play Video Games on PC should not be treated this way. 

No E. (Epic Games/ Store!)

Just OSU! (Origin, Steam, and Ubi.)
    post edited by Bee_Dee_3_Dee - 2019/04/07 23:31:51

> PSU: Seasonic VERTEX GX-1200
    > Mainboard: EVGA Z690 CLASSIFIED (BIOS v1.03 12/3/2021)
    > CPU: Intel Core i9-12900KF
    > AIO: EVGA CLC 240mm
    > Physical Memory: G.SKILL Trident Z5 32GB (2 x 16GB) DDR5 5600
    > Physical Memory Model#: F5-5600U3636C16GX2-TZ5S
    > Monitor: Alienware AW2721D
    > Video Card: EVGA 3090 FTW3 ULTRA GAMING
    > Case: Cooler Master HAF X (942)
    > DAS: Sabrent DS-SC5B

Hoggle
    EVGA Forum Moderator
    • Total Posts : 10101
    • Ribbons : 4
    Re: EPIC Game Store Warning 2019/04/08 03:53:52 (permalink)
    I have started to just get gift cards for some stores like Steam. Just way easier to not have a credit card on file with them. It was the Sony hack a few years ago that made me really careful since you wouldn’t have expected Sony to have a problem. I also check my credit card statements carefully and keep an accounting of what I have spent so an unusual charge doesn’t go unnoticed.

Use an Associates Code & SAVE 5% - 10% on your purchase. Just click on the associates banner to save, or enter the associates code at checkout on your next purchase. If you choose to use my code I want to personally say "Thank You" for using it. 

transdogmifier
    CLASSIFIED ULTRA Member
    • Total Posts : 6116
    • Ribbons : 17
    Re: EPIC Game Store Warning 2019/04/08 05:09:25 (permalink)
    blackforce
    your problem get help.
    knightsilver

I refuse to use EPIC or Origin....it has nothing to do with their security or lack thereof. It has to do with not wanting their viruses on my PC. Either sell me the game on a thumb drive
    without the need for your DRM Launcher (which I consider a virus) or I don't buy it. And yes, it is "my problem"...I don't need to get help.

I do find your decorum severely lacking.

Let people do what they want, and you do what you want. There's no need to get divisive if you disagree. Roll your eyes and move on.

My stance, nor theirs, affects you.

AMD Ryzen 7900x3d
    Deepcool LT720
    Gigabyte Aorus Elite AX X670 (Might change..don't like this board)
    eVGA GeForce RTX 3090 FTW3 Ultra Gaming (Hybrid kit on it)
    Asus ROG Swift PG43UQ 4k Monitor
    eVGA 1600W Supernova T2 PSU
    32GB Kingston 6000 DDR5 (2x16GB) Fury
    Corsair MP600 Pro 2TB (Boot)
    Corsair MP600 2TB (Games/Data)
    Phanteks P500A Case

Brad_Hawthorne
    Insert Custom Title Here
    • Total Posts : 23174
    • Ribbons : 39
    Re: EPIC Game Store Warning 2019/04/08 12:44:03 (permalink)
    blackforce
    Brad_Hawthorne

Let us see this so called email or you just made that up.

So, what is a password reset email going to prove to some random guy on the internet? For one thing, the account had no address used and the name on the random username account was Anonim Anonim? Sounds to me like a random generated account from harvested email database to me. Why would someone send me a password reset email for something I didn't sign up for in the first place? Sounds like some sort of social engineering going on to me to either get my personal information or have me login to the account and start using it? Either way I find it very odd. I've had my email for about 2 decades now and it's gotten onto a few account database breach lists that spammers use because of company security breaches in the past. I attribute this to either hackers doing something nefarious with old email lists or Epic Store doing it. The links are to the legitimate Epic Store account URL, so no nonsense going on with faked URLS in this phishing scam. Just trying to make heads or tails as to why I'm getting a password reset request for a site I don't use and didn't sign up for and the only valid piece of informaiton on the account was the email address. Everything else was randomized or blank.

Either way, I'm not here to prove anything to you. Why are you even talking to me?
    post edited by Brad_Hawthorne - 2019/04/08 12:50:18
    Jump to:
  • Back to Mobile