EVGA

EKWB blocks for FTW3

Page: << < ..16171819 > Showing page 17 of 19
Author
markus_ke
  • Total Posts : 53
  • Reward points : 0
  • Ribbons : 0
Re: EKWB blocks for FTW3 2021/02/08 20:03:04 (permalink)
RaulKodrum
sparetimepc
RaulKodrum
Today I received this!

Everything seems in place and are the correct versions (FTW3)...

I have to note that this is going to be my first GPU waterblock ever, but damn it is heavy, I'd say the block alone is heavier than my whole FTW3 card (but bear in mind I have the Hybrid version, so don't really have that heavy heat-sink that comes with the air cooled models).

The product build quality in hand seems very high and it just amazes me how big this block is... I really cannot wait to have it installed and running...

About the back-plate, it is super shinny and although quite thin it was already very cold when I touched it (which is normally a good thing when you grab something aimed at cooling things), I think it might be able to outperform the stock backplate in every possible way...

Now I'm waiting to receive the Grizzly Minus Pad 8 1mm thermal pads which'll be using to replace the stock ones for the memory modules. I'm also pending to receive some rads and tubing for my liquid loop, since I'm upgrading from a CPU only loop to a mixed CPU+GPU one.

I'll keep you guys posted.

Enjoy your experience with putting on your first waterblock, make sure you follow the instructions very carefully to help with the process. You will probably have to download the instructions directly from ekwb website as I don't think they include them in the package any more.

Thanks for your comment! You're right, no instructions included with the block and backplate but I have already downloaded them from the EKWB website. I have as well seen a bunch of Youtube videos of people doing EK Quantum Vector waterblock installs in their GPUs, pity there is no video about the RTX 3090 FTW3 precisely with the EK block install but I've seen one with the Alphacool block which is a very similar process...

I usually like to prepare well in anticipation and do things without any hurry, I've even asked for a free day at work next Friday so I can concentrate on the build of the new loop and the GPU block without the distraction of kids... really looking forward to it...

markus_ke
Today i got my also.

First of all i had good experience with ekwb.
This Block is also very heavy and has good performance.

The manual and the pads are really a joke!
1mm in my case on some memory and vram no contact!
All of you check the contact by open it up again to be sure you have contact.

1,5mm pads fix the problem on some areas.

Really? That's a shame... have you installed the EKWB Quantum Vector model for the FTW3?

If it is true that the provided thermal pads do not make good contact at certain spots that would mean you're either not installing the block correctly or there is an important design flaw with the block...

Can any other EKWB waterblock owner confirm if you had the same issue? The problem is that I guess most of us won't have 1.5 mm thermal pads at hand... I certainly do not have...

I double check everything. And you can‘t do so much wrong because everywhere you have to use 1mm pads.
And it was some areas. Not all.

I read that Asus and other brands has the same problems. I read also about something that Nvidia allows more bending? Over the pcb.

https://www.igorslab.de/e...o-heavy-investigative/

It musst not be a ekwb thing. But I’m sure they know the problem! So why not add additional 1,5mm pads.

And yes quantum vector Ftw3
post edited by markus_ke - 2021/02/08 20:16:35
christobol
Superclocked Member
  • Total Posts : 250
Re: EKWB blocks for FTW3 2021/02/10 13:40:27 (permalink)
markus_ke So why not add additional 1,5mm pads.

Simple... it costs more money and they don't think it's required.  Nice, and not required.

Please consider using my Associate and Rewards codes to save 3-10% off your next EVGA purchase
Shimano
  • Total Posts : 100
Re: EKWB blocks for FTW3 2021/02/10 16:43:28 (permalink)
It looks reallyyy nice <3 me gusta !

If someone stands in the way of true justice, you simply walkup behind them, and stab them in the heart.
gonsa
Superclocked Member
  • Total Posts : 227
  • Ribbons : 1
Re: EKWB blocks for FTW3 2021/02/11 16:28:34 (permalink)
christobol
gonsa
Finally, build complete.

Looks great inside!  Channeling some JayzTwoCents you should cable manage the back of the case.  Otherwise looks great... except for that fan wire in front of the distro block?

Thanks. The shorter back cable is actually the display port to the monitor. I need to get a bigger one.
Regarding the wire in front of the distro, it's an in-line water temp sensor, when tightened it rotated and became like that. Need to get it sorted.

Case: Lian Li OD 11 | Mobo: MSI MAG X570 Tomahawk Wifi | CPU: AMD 3700X | Memory: G.Skill Trident Z Neo 32 GB DDR4-3600 CL16 | Graphics Card: EVGA 3080 FTW3 Ultra | SSD: Samsung 970 Evo 1 TB M.2-2280 NVME | Samsung 860 Evo 500 GB | PSU: SuperNOVA G2 1000W | Sound Speakers: Creative Inspire T3100 | Mouse: Logitech G903 | Monitor: LG 34GN850-B 34.0" 3440x1440 144 Hz
koroem
Superclocked Member
  • Total Posts : 120
Re: EKWB blocks for FTW3 2021/02/12 15:37:05 (permalink)
I'm using plain old distilled water. No additives, no colors, nothing. Same as I always have for years. Today I started up my pc and looked inside at my EKWB Vector FTW3 Nickle plated block and noticed copper showing through the nickle plating in the water channels. On one side it kinda looks like a smear or a streaking, on the other side it looks like an entire chunk came off near a corner. Did I get a bad block, is this the issue they kept delaying the blocks for? Is anyone else seeing this problem emerging? Today, more spots forming and now there is clearly a chunk that has circulated the system and got caught over the jet plate of the block. Will take a picture and upload soon. No one else having this issue? All fittings are brand new EKWB brand. It was an entirely new case, rad/pump/water/tubes/block setup. Everything water cooling is EKWB.

post edited by koroem - 2021/02/12 16:36:05

Asus Maximus Hero XI wifi / Intel Core i9 9900k @ 5.2 / EVGA RTX 3090 FTW3 Ultra (RMAed "fixed" version)
16GB G.Skill 3200 cl14 / 2x Samsung NVME evo 970 1TB
Be Quiet Dark Power Pro 12 1500w
Caselabs Magnum TH10
phroze
SSC Member
  • Total Posts : 799
Re: EKWB blocks for FTW3 2021/02/12 23:40:24 (permalink)
koroem
I'm using plain old distilled water. No additives, no colors, nothing. Same as I always have for years. Today I started up my pc and looked inside at my EKWB Vector FTW3 Nickle plated block and noticed copper showing through the nickle plating in the water channels. On one side it kinda looks like a smear or a streaking, on the other side it looks like an entire chunk came off near a corner. Did I get a bad block, is this the issue they kept delaying the blocks for? Is anyone else seeing this problem emerging? Today, more spots forming and now there is clearly a chunk that has circulated the system and got caught over the jet plate of the block. Will take a picture and upload soon. No one else having this issue? All fittings are brand new EKWB brand. It was an entirely new case, rad/pump/water/tubes/block setup. Everything water cooling is EKWB.

Before reaching out to EK I would pull that block apart and see if the copper comes off. It is likely coming from another part in your system, most likely radiators. Are they/it new?

Case: Lian Li O11 Dynamic XL
Mobo: Asrock X570 Taichi
CPU: Ryzen 5900x
GPU: EVGA RTX 3090 FTW3 Ultra
RAM: Crucial Ballistix OC to 3800 16 18 18 1:1
PSU: EVGA SuperNova G2 1600w
Cooling: Custom hardline loop: optimus blocks, primochill stuff, lian li stuff, HW Labs 60mm radiators, custom stuff
koroem
Superclocked Member
Re: EKWB blocks for FTW3 2021/02/13 06:30:33 (permalink)
phroze
koroem

Before reaching out to EK I would pull that block apart and see if the copper comes off. It is likely coming from another part in your system, most likely radiators. Are they/it new?

Yes they were new with all the other gear for this build. I ran the two radiators through their own closed loop setup for over 24 hours with a garden pond pump and a house water filter I bought specifically for cleaning and leak testing brand new parts.

Asus Maximus Hero XI wifi / Intel Core i9 9900k @ 5.2 / EVGA RTX 3090 FTW3 Ultra (RMAed "fixed" version)
Caselabs Magnum TH10
RaulKodrum
  • Total Posts : 33
Re: EKWB blocks for FTW3 2021/02/13 06:32:13 (permalink)
Finally yertarday I mounted my block and finished my loop and everything went butter smooth...

By the way, I had no contact issues and the block was making perfect contact with all the parts (did a contact check to make sure).

Here you have my build, not the best looking around but impresive performance wise:

Im using 1 420 45mm thick rad on top, 1 360mm EK passive radiator and 1 420 60mm thick radiator on the front to cool both my RTX 3090 and my 5900X...

Coming from the RTX 3090 Hybrid, I've seen a 10 to 15º drop on my core and memory+VRM temps, which is a complete blast... also the core boost is getting way higher thanks to the much more thermal room...

One thing that bothers me is that the leds of the blocks plate are not lit, only the name and EKWB logo... even if I have it connected to the addressable RGB connector on my X570 Taichi... any clue what could be wrong?

MrPix
  • Total Posts : 15
Re: EKWB blocks for FTW3 2021/02/13 07:32:30 (permalink)
Removed as being ignored, obviously the wrong clique!

post edited by MrPix - 2021/02/16 01:45:31
phroze
SSC Member
Re: EKWB blocks for FTW3 2021/02/13 10:02:55 (permalink)
koroem
phroze
koroem

Yes they were new with all the other gear for this build. I ran the two radiators through their own closed loop setup for over 24 hours with a garden pond pump and a house water filter I bought specifically for cleaning and leak testing brand new parts.

Definitely see if it cleans off after you tear it apart. It is very common to see the copper transfer over to the nickel.

Cooling: Custom hardline loop: optimus blocks, primochill stuff, lian li stuff, HW Labs 60mm radiators, custom stuff
koroem
Superclocked Member
Re: EKWB blocks for FTW3 2021/02/13 10:23:30 (permalink)
phroze
koroem
phroze
koroem

Definitely see if it cleans off after you tear it apart. It is very common to see the copper transfer over to the nickel.

If that is the case, what is the best way to clean it?

Caselabs Magnum TH10
telehog
iCX Member
  • Total Posts : 413
  • Ribbons : 1
Re: EKWB blocks for FTW3 2021/02/13 11:04:14 (permalink)
gonsa
Finally, build complete.

Great looking Rig !
phroze
SSC Member
Re: EKWB blocks for FTW3 2021/02/13 11:34:47 (permalink)
koroem
phroze
koroem
phroze
koroem

I'd start with a toothbrush. Move up to toothpaste if needed. Be careful, ek doesn't have a thick layer of nickel. I finish by brushing down with alcohol then distilled water.

the_Scarlet_one
formerly Scarlet-tech
  • Total Posts : 24581
  • Ribbons : 79
Re: EKWB blocks for FTW3 2021/02/13 12:01:54 (permalink)
phroze
Spoiler

koroem
phroze
koroem
phroze
koroem

close

I'd start with a toothbrush. Move up to toothpaste if needed. Be careful, ek doesn't have a thick layer of nickel. I finish by brushing down with alcohol then distilled water.

Make sure the alcohol never touches the acrylic.
phroze
SSC Member
Re: EKWB blocks for FTW3 2021/02/13 12:30:16 (permalink)
the_Scarlet_one
phroze
Spoiler

koroem
phroze
koroem
phroze
koroem

close

Great point. Make sure it is all the way apart. Metal cold plate only.

Shimano
Re: EKWB blocks for FTW3 2021/02/15 18:33:25 (permalink)
That looks nasty hope you can clean it

If someone stands in the way of true justice, you simply walkup behind them, and stab them in the heart.
fps_noob
  • Total Posts : 82
Re: EKWB blocks for FTW3 2021/02/15 18:54:39 (permalink)
gonsa
Finally, build complete.

Not gonna lie, the tubes running from the CPU are bothering the hell out of me. Have you considered cutting them a little shorter so that they run straight across rather than being all wobbly like that? Especially the bottom one. Also have you considered buying some cable combs? The cables I have are directly from corsair, and didn't come with any, so I ordered a set from cablemod. They were a bit of a pain to put on, but my gpu cables look much nicer now. Please ignore the RGB puke, I'm waiting for my new EK water blocks to come in so that I can actually have all my RGB in sync, currently asus doesn't talk to corsair, which doesn't talk to EVGA.

phroze
SSC Member
Re: EKWB blocks for FTW3 2021/02/17 09:08:14 (permalink)
fps_noob
gonsa
Finally, build complete.

Not gonna lie, the tubes running from the CPU are bothering the hell out of me. Have you considered cutting them a little shorter so that they run straight across rather than being all wobbly like that? Especially the bottom one. Also have you considered buying some cable combs? The cables I have are directly from corsair, and didn't come with any, so I ordered a set from cablemod. They were a bit of a pain to put on, but my gpu cables look much nicer now. Please ignore the RGB puke, I'm waiting for my new EK water blocks to come in so that I can actually have all my RGB in sync, currently asus doesn't talk to corsair, which doesn't talk to EVGA.

Definitely good suggestions. I would also suggest bringing your GPU power cables in through the bottom grommet and make a sharp bend near the graphics card. Mine's not perfect either but you can tell what I am talking about in my build pic below.

Lord Winchester
Superclocked Member
  • Total Posts : 222
  • Ribbons : 3
Re: EKWB blocks for FTW3 2021/02/17 13:33:16 (permalink)
fps_noob
gonsa
Finally, build complete.

Wait, the Corsair ICUE software should be able to control Asus devices

https://help.corsair.com/...rd-integration-in-iCUE

phroze
SSC Member
Re: EKWB blocks for FTW3 2021/02/17 13:34:49 (permalink)
Lord Winchester
fps_noob
gonsa
Finally, build complete.

I've tried it. Buggy as can be when I tried it. Hopefully it's gotten better. I gave up.

Lord Winchester
Superclocked Member
  • Total Posts : 222
Re: EKWB blocks for FTW3 2021/02/17 13:44:05 (permalink)
I also had some initial problems with icue first. But after two days of trial and error it does what it suppose to do. 

Or leave the gpu in rainbow mode for now🤣

phroze
SSC Member
Re: EKWB blocks for FTW3 2021/02/17 14:05:47 (permalink)
Lord Winchester
I also had some initial problems with icue first. But after two days of trial and error it does what it suppose to do. 

Or leave the gpu in rainbow mode for now🤣

It was a year ago and in beta when I tried it so I give it that. And it is my work computer so I just turned the lights off and forgot about it.

Shimano
Re: EKWB blocks for FTW3 2021/02/17 18:35:14 (permalink)
Looks sick with FTW3 backplate, way better than the EK one

phroze
SSC Member
Re: EKWB blocks for FTW3 2021/02/17 19:13:02 (permalink)
Shimano
Looks sick with FTW3 backplate, way better than the EK one

The ftw3 backplate on my 3090 is marginal at best. Very hot.. Too thin. The ek backplate has to be better.

koroem
Superclocked Member
Re: EKWB blocks for FTW3 2021/02/25 09:12:34 (permalink)
phroze
the_Scarlet_one
phroze
Spoiler

koroem
phroze
koroem
phroze
koroem

close

Great point. Make sure it is all the way apart. Metal cold plate only.

Thanks for the info was able to clean it up. I tore apart the system, opened up the blocks, and the copper staining was indeed coming from the radiators and was able to clean it off without issue. Both blocks (cpu/gpu) are fine. Rinsed out the radiators and I swapped over to EK Cryofuel Clear. My old build never had an issue with straight distilled water but I guess these new parts don't play nicely. Still some microbubbles in the res from the refill, but otherwise looking good I think:

Caselabs Magnum TH10
fps_noob
  • Total Posts : 82
Re: EKWB blocks for FTW3 2021/02/28 15:33:22 (permalink)
Lord Winchester

Never worked for me, the only thing it did is yoink control over the ram RGB from ASUS, amking it more buggy. I honestly just can't be bothered trying to mess with it anymore, especially since that's just a temporary cooler for me until I can get all my waterblocks to do a custom loop again.

On unrelated note, does anyone have a list of suggested items I should buy in preparation for my EKWB 3080 FTW3 block? I've never used thermal putty before, just the same thermal grizzly kryonaut as on my CPU. Is there a suggested thermal putty I should use instead? Also should I buy some thermal pads on my own, and if so, which size and for which components? I'll be using the EK backplate as well. Would be very happy to get some suggestions so I could have everything ready for when my block ships sometime next month.
Filip1995
  • Total Posts : 97
Re: EKWB blocks for FTW3 2021/03/03 00:38:32 (permalink)
Hi Guys. I was using the card in the waterloop, I assambled almost month ago. I disasambeled the stock cooler and installed the EK water block for FTW3. I was using it liket that without issue for whole month.
Suddenly, one day I turned on the pc and it wouldnt boot. I recieved debug code from my motherboard with number 62 ("Installation of PCH runtime services"). Since then I was unable to boot into windows with this graphics card.
I am using pci e riser cable. so I tried using it without it. also tried different slots, still the same result. I have integrated grapiscs card so I am able to say that the rest of the system is working fine.
I cleared CMOS and updated motherboard bios, chceck powecables, tried different pci e lanes.
I decided to reinstall the stock evga cooler but the issue remains unchanged.

Do you guys have any suggestions what went wrong?
Udo_G
Superclocked Member
  • Total Posts : 200
Re: EKWB blocks for FTW3 2021/03/03 00:44:19 (permalink)
Please check if you find a red light near the power connectors (red light of death).
Example:

https://forums.evga.com/3...of-Death-m3183154.aspx

Filip1995
  • Total Posts : 97
Re: EKWB blocks for FTW3 2021/03/03 01:00:40 (permalink)
all the lights flash red after pressing the start button, then remain blank. Also I forgot to mention that the cards fans are turning and rgb strips work too...
Udo_G
Superclocked Member
  • Total Posts : 200
Re: EKWB blocks for FTW3 2021/03/03 01:08:31 (permalink)
Very often Qcode 62 is related to the GPU.
Check your cabling and connections to the GPU are OK and that the card is firmly seated. Best is to use 3x power cable instead of a splitter power cable.

Page: << < ..16171819 > Showing page 17 of 19
Jump to:
  • Back to Mobile