EVGA

Hot!EK Releases Aluminum Based Water Blocks for NVIDIA RTX Series Graphics Cards

Author
rjohnson11
EVGA Forum Moderator
  • Total Posts : 71554
  • Reward points : 0
  • Ribbons : 67
2019/03/21 23:57:32 (permalink)
https://www.overclock3d.net/news/gpu_displays/ek_releases_aluminium-based_fluid_gaming_rtx_water_blocks/1

EK Water Blocks, the market leader in PC custom liquid cooling, is announcing the expansion of their Fluid Gaming aluminum based custom loop liquid cooling line. With price and performance in mind, EK Fluid Gaming is an inexpensive ticket to the custom liquid cooling world. Following the release of copper blocks for NVIDIA GeForce RTX 2080 and 2080Ti cards, EK is now launching one aluminum water block that is cross-compatible with NVIDIA GeForce RTX 2080 and 2080Ti cards which use the reference PCB and layout.

Availability and pricing
The EK Fluid Gaming EK-AC GeForce RTX full cover water block is available for purchase through EK Fluid Gaming web-shop at a manufacturer suggested retail price (MSRP) of 109.90€ with VAT included. As you might know, mixing copper and aluminum parts in the same loop is not recommended. Always use only one type (only copper or only aluminum) of metal in the same loop! 

A little bit of RGB was a nice touch in my opinion. 

Specs: AMD 2920X Threadripper, Corsair MP510 M.2, 64GB Corsair RGB Dominator,  ASRock X399 Taichi, Corsair 1000D, EVGA RTX 2080ti Black

17 Replies Related Threads

the_Scarlet_one
    EVGA Forum Moderator
    • Total Posts : 19514
    • Ribbons : 75
    Re: EK Releases Aluminum Based Water Blocks for NVIDIA RTX Series Graphics Cards 2019/03/22 03:58:57 (permalink)
    Here comes the corrosion in the systems built by inexperienced users that don’t know about mixing metals and using liquid metals.

I really hope EKWB includes a large warning label in the box to warn new users not to mix or use liquid metals.

Yes, EKWB posts it on their website as a warning, but how often do we see people buying things they have not read about?

<- Clickable link to my Main PC Specs
    Vlada011
    Omnipotent Enthusiast
    • Total Posts : 9755
    • Ribbons : 10
    Re: EK Releases Aluminum Based Water Blocks for NVIDIA RTX Series Graphics Cards 2019/03/22 04:10:25 (permalink)
    I think they will sell them on other part of site, Fluid Gaming or something similar.
    Off course on global level it would be some little percent of people who will ruin their system buying parts without consultation with someone.
    They always profit from such people. 

It's weird how Chinese sites and all RGB stuff, CPU Blocks, GPU blocks always in combination of hard tubes completely change my perspective about hard tubes. I don't like them any more because of that... I saw them to much time on cheap systems full of RGB and stuff from Aliexpress that I prefer soft tubes and older reliable watercooling brands as Swiftech, Koolance, Watercool.de... I have RGB on Mobo and GPU, that's not possible to avoid but I always keep one color... on everything... without blinking effects. But still I like glass tubes and coopper tubes. Only I have no so much money to buy enough fittings to connect all flat glass pipes. But that's only option of hard tubes I like.

i7-5820K 4.5GHz/RVE10-EK Monoblock/Dominator Platinum 2666/ASUS GTX1080Ti Poseidon/SBZxR /Samsung 970 EVO PLus 1TB/850 EVO 1TB /EVGA 1200P2/Lian Li PC-O11WXC/EK XRES D5 Revo 100 Glass/Coolstream PE360-Noctua NF-A12x25 PWM x3
    Cool GTX
    EVGA Forum Moderator
    • Total Posts : 15588
    • Ribbons : 111
    Re: EK Releases Aluminum Based Water Blocks for NVIDIA RTX Series Graphics Cards 2019/03/22 06:02:40 (permalink)
    EK has made a good effort to get the word out - Not to Mix metals in any loop

Aluminum vs Copper
    June 23, 2017

(excerpt)
    A lot of heated debates have risen during the past few weeks with the launch of our newest Fluid Gaming water cooling lineup, which is made of all aluminum parts. So we just thought this might be a perfect opportunity for a new episode of “Fun Facts” where we will try cover this subject from all possible angles.

https://www.ekwb.com/blog/aluminium-vs-copper/

EK Guides Home Page

Copper vs. Aluminum 

Fluid Gaming Shop

(excerpt)
    Our entry level and budget friendly Fluid Gaming products are based on aluminum. Aluminum is a silvery-white, soft, malleable, and ductile metal with very high thermal conductivity. Aluminum products should never be mixed with copper products in the same loop!

https://www.ekwb.com/guides/

RTX Project EVGA X99 FTWK-5930K,EVGA2080Ti EVGA-1200P2  Nibbler EVGA X99 3-GPU Water Loop 1600P2  AIO Folding  1080Ti FTW3 Hybrid, 1200P

Thank You for Your Support

Brad_Hawthorne
    Insert Custom Title Here
    • Total Posts : 21700
    • Ribbons : 35
    Re: EK Releases Aluminum Based Water Blocks for NVIDIA RTX Series Graphics Cards 2019/03/22 10:59:19 (permalink)
    Yo dog, I heard you like galvanic corrosion within your galvanic corrosion, so I put Aluminium within your water block so you can corrode while you corrode.
    panzlock
    FTW Member
    • Total Posts : 1472
    • Ribbons : 0
    Re: EK Releases Aluminum Based Water Blocks for NVIDIA RTX Series Graphics Cards 2019/03/22 11:36:22 (permalink)
    Brad_Hawthorne
    Yo dog, I heard you like galvanic corrosion within your galvanic corrosion, so I put Aluminium within your water block so you can corrode while you corrode.

Even deterioration has become more efficient.
    GTXJackBauer
    CLASSIFIED ULTRA Member
    • Total Posts : 5530
    • Ribbons : 27
    Re: EK Releases Aluminum Based Water Blocks for NVIDIA RTX Series Graphics Cards 2019/03/22 11:48:25 (permalink)
    the_Scarlet_one
    Here comes the corrosion in the systems built by inexperienced users that don’t know about mixing metals and using liquid metals.

I really hope EKWB includes a large warning label in the box to warn new users not to mix or use liquid metals.

Yes, EKWB posts it on their website as a warning, but how often do we see people buying things they have not read about?

My thoughts exactly and I was pretty critical about it when they released this line.  Majority don't do it the way some of us do it and just jump in and buy, buy, buy in excitement to build their first loop or add more to it.  It's a recipe for disaster but it should hold up a bit with some premixed fluids till those fluids weaken and the ugly monsters shows its face. lol

Use this Associate Code to get 5%-10% discounts on all your EVGA purchases:
    LMD3DNZM9LGK8GJ
    Use this Rewards Code below when registering your EVGA products. 
    (Make sure to upload your invoice.)
    the_Scarlet_one
    EVGA Forum Moderator
    Re: EK Releases Aluminum Based Water Blocks for NVIDIA RTX Series Graphics Cards 2019/03/22 12:17:10 (permalink)
    Cool GTX
    Spoiler
    EK has made a good effort to get the word out - Not to Mix metals in any loop

Aluminum vs Copper
    June 23, 2017

(excerpt)
    A lot of heated debates have risen during the past few weeks with the launch of our newest Fluid Gaming water cooling lineup, which is made of all aluminum parts. So we just thought this might be a perfect opportunity for a new episode of “Fun Facts” where we will try cover this subject from all possible angles.

https://www.ekwb.com/blog/aluminium-vs-copper/

EK Guides Home Page

Copper vs. Aluminum 

Fluid Gaming Shop

(excerpt)
    Our entry level and budget friendly Fluid Gaming products are based on aluminum. Aluminum is a silvery-white, soft, malleable, and ductile metal with very high thermal conductivity. Aluminum products should never be mixed with copper products in the same loop!

https://www.ekwb.com/guides/
    close

Yes. That is exactly what is published.

Yet, new people to watercooling often ignore the giant red flags. Which is what will happen. No article will fix that, unless those users read them.

Brad_Hawthorne
    Insert Custom Title Here
    • Total Posts : 21700
    • Ribbons : 35
    Re: EK Releases Aluminum Based Water Blocks for NVIDIA RTX Series Graphics Cards 2019/03/22 12:35:43 (permalink)
    the_Scarlet_one

People won't think to check the metal in the rad because it's like a rad, not a piece of metal. #nooblogic
    lehpron
    Regular Guy
    • Total Posts : 16157
    • Ribbons : 188
    Re: EK Releases Aluminum Based Water Blocks for NVIDIA RTX Series Graphics Cards 2019/03/22 21:48:07 (permalink)
    What's with the ignorance and assumptions in here?  EK Fluid gaming are all aluminum, no copper or nickel.  I would know, I have their EK-FG-360 kit with an additional 360 rad.  It's nice they are finally bringing RTX aluminum blocks, but then I may not jump on board this gen as my GTX1080 Ti does just fine.

For Intel processors, 0.122 x TDP = Continuous Amps at 12v [source].  
    the_Scarlet_one
    EVGA Forum Moderator
    Re: EK Releases Aluminum Based Water Blocks for NVIDIA RTX Series Graphics Cards 2019/03/23 02:11:45 (permalink)
    lehpron
    What's with the ignorance and assumptions in here?  EK Fluid gaming are all aluminum, no copper or nickel.  I would know, I have their EK-FG-360 kit with an additional 360 rad.  It's nice they are finally bringing RTX aluminum blocks, but then I may not jump on board this gen as my GTX1080 Ti does just fine.

So, because you bought an expansion kit that is aluminum, and the one thing you have to reference matches your thought process... that means other users with no experience will make no errors in their selection of a waterblock and all other cooling components?

The “assumptions” are history based. The aluminum gaming systems that EK initially launched were most matched systems ready to go.

The problem is going to be users buying each individual component, and not know what materials are different. If they don’t buy the exact kit you reference, they will likely have issues with mixed metals and corrosion.

Since you jumped in and asked about ignorance.. how many times have forums users posted that their Hydrocopper blocks were not cooling properly? Next, break that down to the users that had the inlet and outlet connected to the same side of the block, meaning no water went into the block itself. After that, look at how many never even connected anything to the waterblock, because they thought it was water cooled internally and didn’t need fittings at all, even though there were tons of explanations all over the internet telling them they needed water. So, how did that happen?

I know of at least 5 completely uncooled waterblocks on the evga forums alone in recent years. I can not remember how many I have seen with water passing straight through without going into the block.

So, not assumptions and ignorance.. facts and history is more like it.

GTXJackBauer
    CLASSIFIED ULTRA Member
    • Total Posts : 5530
    • Ribbons : 27
    Re: EK Releases Aluminum Based Water Blocks for NVIDIA RTX Series Graphics Cards 2019/03/23 02:33:06 (permalink)
    How about some dude that made a 'how to water cool' video on the tube and setup the wrong in and outs on his pump and all you heard was the pump screaming in pain or the angry consumer that wrote a 1 Egg on the Egg about purchasing a GPU/WB and nothing came with it because he wasn't told on the product page? 

Found the Video.  RIP Pump 

I've been around in the custom water cooling scene for many years now and have seen enough. lol

Sorry Lehpron as I don't usually disagree with you but on this one you lost me.
    post edited by GTXJackBauer - 2019/03/23 02:38:18

Use this Associate Code to get 5%-10% discounts on all your EVGA purchases:
    LMD3DNZM9LGK8GJ
    Use this Rewards Code below when registering your EVGA products. 
    (Make sure to upload your invoice.)
    Tribbs
    iCX Member
    • Total Posts : 304
    • Ribbons : 0
    Re: EK Releases Aluminum Based Water Blocks for NVIDIA RTX Series Graphics Cards 2019/03/23 05:03:17 (permalink)
    Ek themselves do quite well on splitting them up as you have to go to completely separate sites to purchase. From what I can tell they only sell kits and expansion kits through 3rd party’s themselves to minimize just seeing a cheap rad and jumping on it.

There may still be some smaller importers that will sell the individual components which could cause issues.
    the_Scarlet_one
    EVGA Forum Moderator
    Re: EK Releases Aluminum Based Water Blocks for NVIDIA RTX Series Graphics Cards 2019/03/23 05:10:29 (permalink)
    EKWB website does do a good job.

It’s local retailers/third party sites that will likely be the issue. Not everyone wants to pay and wait on shipping, so they will purchase local or from an online retailer that offers free shipping, which I can already see being an issue.

lehpron
    Regular Guy
    Re: EK Releases Aluminum Based Water Blocks for NVIDIA RTX Series Graphics Cards 2019/03/23 16:24:51 (permalink)
    the_Scarlet_one
    So, because you bought an expansion kit that is aluminum, and the one thing you have to reference matches your thought process... that means other users with no experience will make no errors in their selection of a waterblock and all other cooling components? 
    EK creates two separate webstore portals (and separate login registrations) for their aluminum- and copper- based kits, so there is no way to mix-match when buying from their online stores.  I couldn't care less that other people make mistakes, it's just not possible to make that mistake buying direct from EK.
    GTXJackBauer
    Sorry Lehpron as I don't usually disagree with you but on this one you lost me.
    Wouldn't hurt to simply ask; but since the_Scarlet_one assumed my comments suggested newbies make no mistakes, I don't know what you're disagreeing with.  I chose aluminum because it is cheaper and lighter to mod and machine with for a secondary upgrade later on than copper, but I know that's not the disagreement we have.

the_Scarlet_one
    EVGA Forum Moderator
    Re: EK Releases Aluminum Based Water Blocks for NVIDIA RTX Series Graphics Cards 2019/03/23 16:33:29 (permalink)
    lehpron
    the_Scarlet_one

EK creates two separate webstore portals (and separate login registrations) for their aluminum- and copper- based kits, so there is no way to mix-match when buying from their online stores.  I couldn't care less that other people make mistakes, it's just not possible to make that mistake buying direct from EK.

Lehpron,

Just because EKWB has two separate domains/webstores means little if other sites are not following the same procedures. You keep saying "If they buy directly from EKWB, it is impossible..."  No.. Not everyone buys from EKWB direct.. that can NOT be so hard to understand. You say you couldn't care less about other peoples mistakes. What is your point then. I don't think anyone here is worried about what you purchased. you weren't one of the people we were referring to.

I will put the rest behind a spoiler tag in case you need the examples below. If you chose to ignore the issue, then why even post about something you chose to turn a blind eye to? 

Spoiler

Example:
    EKWB sells the new block under the part number EK-AC Titan X  Aluminum Block.
    Performance PCs sells the EK-ACF fitting Not compatible with that block, but share nearly the same part number, except they added a F. There is no warning on newegg that these are incompatible with Aluminum.
    Newegg Sells the EK-ACF ALU fitting Aside from ALU, it doesn't mention materials used, or what can, or shouldn't be, combined. This one clearly shouldn't be added to a Nickel Build, but it is significantly cheaper than a nickel fitting and users may buy them to save $3 per fitting. 

Furthermore: $6.99 per fitting versus $3.99 per fitting Only difference again is the ALU in the part number.  No warning that these two are incompatible, and many users will only see price differences. Both on NewEgg, neither warn the buyer not to mix metals.

I am pretty sure, and could be wrong, that GTXJackBauer was saying he doesn't agree with you because of the fact that aluminum parts are not limited to the EKWB store.
    close

*cleaned the post up a little to directly address your post without the excess information or questions since you couldn't care less about other peoples mistakes. 
    post edited by the_Scarlet_one - 2019/03/23 17:35:12

lehpron
    Regular Guy
    Re: EK Releases Aluminum Based Water Blocks for NVIDIA RTX Series Graphics Cards 2019/03/24 12:32:47 (permalink)
    the_Scarlet_one
    Not everyone buys from EKWB direct.. that can NOT be so hard to understand. You say you couldn't care less about other peoples mistakes. What is your point then.

I can't control that most probably don't buy direct, I can't control that 3rd-party sellers may not emphasize incompatibility, I can't control that people will not pay attention to details, it happens.

My original point was a pattern that I've notice every time a company puts out a product that has controversy in it's usage; reception is usually filled with talk of improper usage (whether anyone actually made mistakes or not), which distracts from the company's intentions, affects the bottom line, and eventually leads to product discontinuance.

We have a copper status quo at play with current state of DIY liquid cooling.  The more we talk about why we shouldn't mix metals, the more people just assume aluminum is bad to start with due to incompatibility with existing loops (i.e. comments where someone flat out says 'i don't like aluminum') and eventually EK will be forced to discontinue their FG line.

We could be talking about the Sandia cooler or anything that uses Peltiers-- as long as the majority don't inform themselves, it kills a good product's future.

I apologize that I may have lost control when I saw the reception of this EK-FG RTX block on EVGA forums.  The fault doesn't go to those informing, it goes to those that don't like details/differences and blow it all off, those people irritate me.
    post edited by lehpron - 2019/03/24 12:48:16

the_Scarlet_one
    EVGA Forum Moderator
    Re: EK Releases Aluminum Based Water Blocks for NVIDIA RTX Series Graphics Cards 2019/03/24 13:56:43 (permalink)
    My intentions are not to take away from what EKWB is doing.  Aluminum can be great, if the users understand compatibility issues.  As we have seen, reaching the customers that lack the basic knowledge to understand what is compatible/incompatible is near impossible at times. 

It is better to talk about the issues that are probable in hopes that maybe one of the new builders will be trying to find parts, and accidentally bump into a thread like this, that warns them not to mix metals.  Hopefully they will stop by EKWB's pages and read the fantastic articles that are out there about the issues.

The thing is, if no one talks about it, the issues happen more often.  That should encourage people to bring up the obvious issues.  If people stop buying a product simply because they don't understand, there is nothing that can be done about that.  Talking about obvious issues should never cause the manufacturer a loss in sales of any sorts.  That is a misconception.  Talking about the obvious issues should encourage the buyer to ask questions and make sure they are buying the right thing the first time, and to know what things are compatible in the future, so that they don't accidentally purchase something that will cost them undue stress or their entire system when it is time to upgrade.  

"We" can not help what the 3rd party retailers do, but we can try to help what the customers can easily find. 

Jump to:
  • Back to Mobile