EVGA

Do we yet have -exact- dimensions of the 240mm Hybrid radiator?

Page: < 12 Showing page 2 of 2
Author
RaggyD
  • Total Posts : 36
  • Reward points : 0
  • Ribbons : 0
Re: Do we yet have -exact- dimensions of the 240mm Hybrid radiator? 2020/10/31 20:23:57 (permalink)
GTXJackBauer
yaggaz
RaggyD
yaggaz
RaggyD

I had a ftw3 ultra hybrid 2080ti from evga (sold it a couple months ago) and that was just a 140mm and yeah it was cooooool.  I did have the evga fan installed to push, with the radiator at the rear exhaust, and i took my fan that was there and installed it on the outside so it would pull exhaust.  But woosh I dont think it ever crossed 50c under load and I play at 4k.

Nice. How was the noise? As Jack said that seems incredible.   Were there other factors like non overclocked? Undervolted? 

+1000 +135 max power limit only a tad extra on the voltage slider.

Vertical gpu, big case, ****load of Arctic P14 fans which have very high static pressure and airflow (with the 2 p14 pst fans on my arctic Liquid freezer ii 280mm cpu aio there were a total of 10 p14s..and then one more p12 pst...the bottom fan space fit a p14 and a p12), the rad had a fan on either side (mounted my rear exhaust fan outside the case to pull), and the cpu aio was top exhaust. Side intake vent for the vertical gpu I modded into the case. Used thin foam that I glued everywhere that wasn't intake or exhaust so no air leakage, more than twice as much air going in than out, airflow was in from front side and bottom and going up which pulls the heat from the gpu more efficiently since it goes up naturally. Case seals and much higher intake using high static pressure fans creates a lot of positive pressure and you can get a mild air conditioning effect because you can get the air to compress a little. Not a lot but its enough. Before I went over the case and sealed all the little openings that weren't necessary sort of like "weather stripping" the card was a little warmer. Person I sold it to doesn't have a setup like mine in terms of airflow and positive pressure etc they also are getting a bit of pump whine that this card is known for, but they're mounted normally, and their case isn't as tall, so while the rad is above the pump it's not as high above. I told them to get a fan cable extension and plug the pump into the mobo so it would shut up. They reported average sub 60c under high load tho which is still chilllyyy.

So okay yeah I paid a lot of attention to my case set up and did some other mods on it (had to make the venting and mounting at the top for the cpu rad) and created a mild ac effect lol ya got me 🥶

Wow that's awesome.  I love creativity like this as opposed to all the "No you can't do it that way..." advice you tend to get from people who cant think outside the box. 

With all due respect, a 2080 Ti @ full bore on a 120mm rad, there's just NO WAY anyone can average under 50c anyway you look at it.  That's why I still want to see evidence of this claim.  The GPU has to be throttled or some other customized cooling involved... 

Ya got me I bet if PX1 could show partial degrees it might've showed 50.5 or maybe it didn't round up to 51 when it should've. Card's gone I guess we will never know
RaggyD
  • Total Posts : 36
  • Ribbons : 0
Re: Do we yet have -exact- dimensions of the 240mm Hybrid radiator? 2020/10/31 20:42:35 (permalink)
yaggaz
Yaggaz

Wow that's awesome.  I love creativity like this as opposed to all the "No you can't do it that way..." advice you tend to get from people who cant think outside the box. 

To be clear, I was referring to most answers I've gotten at Toms Hardware over the last decade and a half.

But I do think there may be something about externally mounted GPU AIO radiators that create two positive situations:  1) It's not blowing warmed air into a case that may affect internal temps in the setup of an intake and 2) It itself is being cooled by ambient room temps as opposed to internal case air as an exhaust.

In my case both my rads inside case but they are/were exhaust. Collectively 2 fans exhausting on top and 2 in the rear (1 internal inside the hybrid rad and 1 pulling on the rad from outside on back of the case) Running rads with fans blowing *into* the case is bonkers to me. I didn't think to mount the rad outside the case!! Actually a very good idea! A bit ugly potentially but oh well. Also allows more room for more fans lol. Like my arctic 280 on the proc could be set up with push pull that way. I don't know that there is room when I get my 3080 with hybrid kit (or if I manage to snag a factory hybrid) to mount that rad on the back if it's 240. Tho I think I'll end up with a 6900XT and not sure if I'll be able to find an aio kit for it, we will see. The rear space is pretty big on my case but not that tall. Maybe doesn't matter actually. Having one internal fan pushing exhaust to the rad and then giving it's two regular fans just pulling would be good. I can certainly look at mounting my proc rad on top, then installing two more P14s on the inside so it's push pull. I've only got a 2700x right now so it's cooling is overkill as it is.

The Arctic PST fans are so high pressure and don't make a lot of noise that when you've got this many pushing air in you never really need to blast them full bore. Adding some extra doesn't raise the noise level. Also I make sure to keep exhaust fans always at a lower speed than intake.
GTXJackBauer
Omnipotent Enthusiast
  • Total Posts : 10323
  • Ribbons : 48
Re: Do we yet have -exact- dimensions of the 240mm Hybrid radiator? 2020/10/31 22:04:31 (permalink)
RaggyD
GTXJackBauer
yaggaz
RaggyD
yaggaz
RaggyD

I had a ftw3 ultra hybrid 2080ti from evga (sold it a couple months ago) and that was just a 140mm and yeah it was cooooool.  I did have the evga fan installed to push, with the radiator at the rear exhaust, and i took my fan that was there and installed it on the outside so it would pull exhaust.  But woosh I dont think it ever crossed 50c under load and I play at 4k.

Nice. How was the noise? As Jack said that seems incredible.   Were there other factors like non overclocked? Undervolted? 

Vertical gpu, big case, ****load of Arctic P14 fans which have very high static pressure and airflow (with the 2 p14 pst fans on my arctic Liquid freezer ii 280mm cpu aio there were a total of 10 p14s..and then one more p12 pst...the bottom fan space fit a p14 and a p12), the rad had a fan on either side (mounted my rear exhaust fan outside the case to pull), and the cpu aio was top exhaust. Side intake vent for the vertical gpu I modded into the case. Used thin foam that I glued everywhere that wasn't intake or exhaust so no air leakage, more than twice as much air going in than out, airflow was in from front side and bottom and going up which pulls the heat from the gpu more efficiently since it goes up naturally. Case seals and much higher intake using high static pressure fans creates a lot of positive pressure and you can get a mild air conditioning effect because you can get the air to compress a little. Not a lot but its enough. Before I went over the case and sealed all the little openings that weren't necessary sort of like "weather stripping" the card was a little warmer. Person I sold it to doesn't have a setup like mine in terms of airflow and positive pressure etc they also are getting a bit of pump whine that this card is known for, but they're mounted normally, and their case isn't as tall, so while the rad is above the pump it's not as high above. I told them to get a fan cable extension and plug the pump into the mobo so it would shut up. They reported average sub 60c under high load tho which is still chilllyyy.

So okay yeah I paid a lot of attention to my case set up and did some other mods on it (had to make the venting and mounting at the top for the cpu rad) and created a mild ac effect lol ya got me 🥶

With all due respect, a 2080 Ti @ full bore on a 120mm rad, there's just NO WAY anyone can average under 50c anyway you look at it.  That's why I still want to see evidence of this claim.  The GPU has to be throttled or some other customized cooling involved... 

Ya got me I bet if PX1 could show partial degrees it might've showed 50.5 or maybe it didn't round up to 51 when it should've. Card's gone I guess we will never know

Again, you were most likely hitting those temps because you weren't max load on your 2080 Ti.  A 2080 Ti or any mid to high end GPU will not hover under 50c on a single 120mm rad AIO in push and pull at max load. 

RaggyD
yaggaz
Yaggaz

To be clear, I was referring to most answers I've gotten at Toms Hardware over the last decade and a half.

But I do think there may be something about externally mounted GPU AIO radiators that create two positive situations:  1) It's not blowing warmed air into a case that may affect internal temps in the setup of an intake and 2) It itself is being cooled by ambient room temps as opposed to internal case air as an exhaust.

In my case both my rads inside case but they are/were exhaust. Collectively 2 fans exhausting on top and 2 in the rear (1 internal inside the hybrid rad and 1 pulling on the rad from outside on back of the case) Running rads with fans blowing *into* the case is bonkers to me. I didn't think to mount the rad outside the case!! Actually a very good idea! A bit ugly potentially but oh well. Also allows more room for more fans lol. Like my arctic 280 on the proc could be set up with push pull that way. I don't know that there is room when I get my 3080 with hybrid kit (or if I manage to snag a factory hybrid) to mount that rad on the back if it's 240. Tho I think I'll end up with a 6900XT and not sure if I'll be able to find an aio kit for it, we will see. The rear space is pretty big on my case but not that tall. Maybe doesn't matter actually. Having one internal fan pushing exhaust to the rad and then giving it's two regular fans just pulling would be good. I can certainly look at mounting my proc rad on top, then installing two more P14s on the inside so it's push pull. I've only got a 2700x right now so it's cooling is overkill as it is.

The Arctic PST fans are so high pressure and don't make a lot of noise that when you've got this many pushing air in you never really need to blast them full bore. Adding some extra doesn't raise the noise level. Also I make sure to keep exhaust fans always at a lower speed than intake.

The Arctic are mediocre case fans.  Most fans will be silent sub 1000 RPM.  High pressure fans cost x2-x3 more for high static pressure intended for radiators and have a higher RPM and improved audibles.  

Also, one of the main reasons why rads were hung in the rear of PCs or on top of the case externally was because of case designs 10+ years ago.  I was planning to do the same at one point before the case designs improved.   With today's designs and properly installed rads and air flow, you can still get the same cooler intake ambient air as you would externally but a few things issues come to mind.  You're either intaking exhaust warm air from the PSU and blowing it against the case or you're intaking warmer case exhaust and not to mention the dust buildup the external rad will go through if not cleaned frequently.  Having the rad installed internally and letting that warmer air exhaust the rear won't be an issue if there's enough positive pressure internally.  All the silicons and rads care about are cooler ambient air.  Your VRAM and VRM section can withstand higher temps as you're not always pushing the GPU to its absolute max like you would with benching and you wouldn't be doing that 24/7 either so having exhaust rad air passing to the rear of the case if fine.  Not all cases are the same so some flipping intake or exhaust with the top rad might be needed. 

Use this Associate Code at your checkouts or follow these instructions for Up to 10% OFF on all your EVGA purchases:
LMD3DNZM9LGK8GJ
HeavyHemi
Insert Custom Title Here
  • Total Posts : 15665
  • Ribbons : 135
Re: Do we yet have -exact- dimensions of the 240mm Hybrid radiator? 2020/10/31 22:10:52 (permalink)
GTXJackBauer
RaggyD
GTXJackBauer
yaggaz
RaggyD
yaggaz
RaggyD

Again, you were most likely hitting those temps because you weren't max load on your 2080 Ti.  A 2080 Ti or any mid to high end GPU will not hover under 50c on a single 120mm rad AIO in push and pull at max load. 

RaggyD
yaggaz
Yaggaz

The Arctic are mediocre case fans.  Most fans will be silent sub 1000 RPM.  High pressure fans cost x2-x3 more for high static pressure intended for radiators and have a higher RPM and improved audibles.  

Also, one of the main reasons why rads were hung in the rear of PCs or on top of the case externally was because of case designs 10+ years ago.  I was planning to do the same at one point before the case designs improved.   With today's designs and properly installed rads and air flow, you can still get the same cooler intake ambient air as you would externally but a few things issues come to mind.  You're either intaking exhaust warm air from the PSU and blowing it against the case or you're intaking warmer case exhaust and not to mention the dust buildup the external rad will go through if not cleaned frequently.  Having the rad installed internally and letting that warmer air exhaust the rear won't be an issue if there's enough positive pressure internally.  All the silicons and rads care about are cooler ambient air.  Your VRAM and VRM section can withstand higher temps as you're not always pushing the GPU to its absolute max like you would with benching and you wouldn't be doing that 24/7 either so having exhaust rad air passing to the rear of the case if fine.  Not all cases are the same so some flipping intake or exhaust with the top rad might be needed. 

I beg to differ. I run my 1080 Ti overclocked 2063mhz below 39C. Above that is the first temp bin and it settles at 2050 mhz. 2 hours of MSFS 2020 at 4K and I didn't top 45C. Standard EVGA AIO with push/pull fans. Just replaced the LM TIM with IC Diamond. I can take a screen shot later of Afterburner after a couple hour run in Division 2 if you'd like.

EVGA X99 FTWK / i7 6850K @ 4.5ghz / RTX 3080Ti FTW Ultra / 32GB Corsair LPX 3600mhz / Samsung 850Pro 256GB / Be Quiet BN516 Straight Power 12-1000w 80 Plus Platinum / Window 10 Pro

GTXJackBauer
Omnipotent Enthusiast
Re: Do we yet have -exact- dimensions of the 240mm Hybrid radiator? 2020/10/31 22:30:04 (permalink)
HeavyHemi

I beg to differ. I run my 1080 Ti overclocked 2063mhz below 39C. Above that is the first temp bin and it settles at 2050 mhz. 2 hours of MSFS 2020 at 4K and I didn't top 45C. Standard EVGA AIO with push/pull fans. Just replaced the LM TIM with IC Diamond. I can take a screen shot later of Afterburner after a couple hour run in Division 2 if you'd like.

Forgive me here but I'm trying to wrap my head around on a stock 120mm GPU Hybrid AIOs on high end GPUs staying under 50c @ full load.  Even in push and pull I'd never think they'd average under 50c but maybe close to it in the low 50s.

In your case, was this all with LM?

Use this Associate Code at your checkouts or follow these instructions for Up to 10% OFF on all your EVGA purchases:
LMD3DNZM9LGK8GJ
HeavyHemi
Insert Custom Title Here
Re: Do we yet have -exact- dimensions of the 240mm Hybrid radiator? 2020/11/01 00:57:32 (permalink)
GTXJackBauer
HeavyHemi

Forgive me here but I'm trying to wrap my head around on a stock 120mm GPU Hybrid AIOs on high end GPUs staying under 50c @ full load.  Even in push and pull I'd never think they'd average under 50c but maybe close to it in the low 50s.

No. I've used both LM and regular TIM. I'm using IC Diamond right now. 

Don't anyone see this as an argument against a larger rad. Bigger is better. I slightly modified my 780T case to fit two Noctua 200mm fans as intake and the CPU rad is on top as exhaust. Nothing goes over 50C unless I'm torture testing. Folks with poor airflow will have higher temps.
post edited by HeavyHemi - 2020/11/01 01:03:20

Attached Image(s)

EVGA X99 FTWK / i7 6850K @ 4.5ghz / RTX 3080Ti FTW Ultra / 32GB Corsair LPX 3600mhz / Samsung 850Pro 256GB / Be Quiet BN516 Straight Power 12-1000w 80 Plus Platinum / Window 10 Pro

GTXJackBauer
Omnipotent Enthusiast
Re: Do we yet have -exact- dimensions of the 240mm Hybrid radiator? 2020/11/01 01:38:27 (permalink)
HeavyHemi
GTXJackBauer
HeavyHemi

No. I've used both LM and regular TIM. I'm using IC Diamond right now. 

Don't anyone see this as an argument against a larger rad. Bigger is better. I slightly modified my 780T case to fit two Noctua 200mm fans as intake and the CPU rad is on top as exhaust. Nothing goes over 50C unless I'm torture testing. Folks with poor airflow will have higher temps.

I guess I was wrong as I'm amazed at these temps with just a 120mm GPU rad.  I understand you can mod and tune things up but sheesh.  Basically a 240mm should make things easier for many to achieve such temps which I alluded too in other threads.

What were the ambient temps btw for reference?

Also, I'll take a look at that TIM as I don't want to mess with LM.

LMD3DNZM9LGK8GJ
Dabadger84
CLASSIFIED Member
  • Total Posts : 3426
  • Ribbons : 10
Re: Do we yet have -exact- dimensions of the 240mm Hybrid radiator? 2020/11/01 02:01:58 (permalink)
I'm about as ready as I'm gonna get for both a Hybrid card & the eventual jump to a full open loop, reconfigured my case so the front is open again for the eventual reservoir & such... and I put a little surprise in the area of the GPU to help with temps again... that will be removed once I have the Hybrid card though, no need for "extra airflow" over the card if it's exhaust 90% of it's heat out of the back of the case or the GPU radiator.

ModRigs: https://www.modsrigs.com/detail.aspx?BuildID=42891  
Specs:
5950x @ 4.7GHz 1.3V - Asus Crosshair VIII Hero - eVGA 1200W P2 - 4x8GB G.Skill Trident Z Royal Silver @ 3800 CL14
Gigabyte RTX 4090 Gaming OC w/ Core: 2850MHz @ 1000mV, Mem: +1500MHz - Samsung Odyssey G9 49" Super-Ultrawide 240Hz Monitor

HeavyHemi
Insert Custom Title Here
Re: Do we yet have -exact- dimensions of the 240mm Hybrid radiator? 2020/11/01 07:44:01 (permalink)
Dabadger84
I'm about as ready as I'm gonna get for both a Hybrid card & the eventual jump to a full open loop, reconfigured my case so the front is open again for the eventual reservoir & such... and I put a little surprise in the area of the GPU to help with temps again... that will be removed once I have the Hybrid card though, no need for "extra airflow" over the card if it's exhaust 90% of it's heat out of the back of the case or the GPU radiator.

Of course this is a preference, but I don't know why anyone would run with warm air intake. I'd buy a new case before I'd do that.

Dabadger84
CLASSIFIED Member
Re: Do we yet have -exact- dimensions of the 240mm Hybrid radiator? 2020/11/01 08:01:30 (permalink)
HeavyHemi
Dabadger84

Of course this is a preference, but I don't know why anyone would run with warm air intake. I'd buy a new case before I'd do that.

I don't get why anyone would gimp their internal ambients like that either, unless it's a small case where that is the only option if you want a CPU AIO installed, even then, put it as exhaust & put the fans meant to be exhaust as intake, that'd probably work better.

I just changed some stuff around in the front of my case, moved the AIO to where it's slurping air from the front intake instead of above the motherboard area because that was getting residual heat from the GPU's exhaust, everything is definitely happier now:

After:

The area above the motherboard will eventually be consumed by the 3080 Hybrid's AIO radiator, but for now, everything is gucci.

And it doubles as a very vibrant, colorful night-light if I leave it on to download/update stuff while I sleep lol

For comparison, before I had HDD/SSDs in the front, which isn't their native mounting area (there are drive cages, I removed those ages ago though):

Before Pic:

While it looks cool & fuller with the drives up front, I am going to be cannibalizing that space for the open loop whenever I get it, so I figured I might as well move them back to the back now & save myself the trouble later... moving those hangers, by yourself, is quite frustrating.

Specs:
5950x @ 4.7GHz 1.3V - Asus Crosshair VIII Hero - eVGA 1200W P2 - 4x8GB G.Skill Trident Z Royal Silver @ 3800 CL14
Gigabyte RTX 4090 Gaming OC w/ Core: 2850MHz @ 1000mV, Mem: +1500MHz - Samsung Odyssey G9 49" Super-Ultrawide 240Hz Monitor

yaggaz
FTW Member
  • Total Posts : 1509
  • Ribbons : 1
Re: Do we yet have -exact- dimensions of the 240mm Hybrid radiator? 2020/11/01 12:56:08 (permalink)
GTXJackBauer

Basically a 240mm should make things easier for many to achieve such temps which I alluded too in other threads.

||  CPU: Intel 10700k   ||  GPU:  evga 3080 XC3 Ultra Hybrid ||  MB: Gigabyte z490 UD AC  || RAM: 2 x 16GB 3000mhz DDR4 SDRAM  || Samsung EVO 970 Plus 2TB   ||    Dell S2417DG Monitor    ||  Soundblaster AE-7  ||  Phanteks p400a Case  ||   be Quiet! Dark Rock Slim CPU Cooler  ||  Corsair AX1600i PSU  ||  9 Fans total in system ||
yaggaz
FTW Member
  • Total Posts : 1509
  • Ribbons : 1
Re: Do we yet have -exact- dimensions of the 240mm Hybrid radiator? 2020/11/01 12:58:05 (permalink)
Dabadger84
 no need for "extra airflow" over the card if it's exhaust 90% of it's heat out of the back of the case or the GPU radiator.

I imagine if you have great positive pressure the entire heat is being removed from your case, so a suction effect that removes the heat without direct airflow takes the heat away?

That also brings me to another question.  If my Black Rock Slim keeps my CPU around 30 to 40 degrees under load on modern AAA games, but my H55 and push pull keeps my GPU at an average of 67 to 71c under load,  then I can't blame the internal case temps right?  Because wouldn't both be up there?
post edited by yaggaz - 2020/11/01 13:00:56

||  CPU: Intel 10700k   ||  GPU:  evga 3080 XC3 Ultra Hybrid ||  MB: Gigabyte z490 UD AC  || RAM: 2 x 16GB 3000mhz DDR4 SDRAM  || Samsung EVO 970 Plus 2TB   ||    Dell S2417DG Monitor    ||  Soundblaster AE-7  ||  Phanteks p400a Case  ||   be Quiet! Dark Rock Slim CPU Cooler  ||  Corsair AX1600i PSU  ||  9 Fans total in system ||
Dabadger84
CLASSIFIED Member
Re: Do we yet have -exact- dimensions of the 240mm Hybrid radiator? 2020/11/01 14:55:28 (permalink)
yaggaz
Dabadger84
 no need for "extra airflow" over the card if it's exhaust 90% of it's heat out of the back of the case or the GPU radiator.

I imagine if you have great positive pressure the entire heat is being removed from your case, so a suction effect that removes the heat without direct airflow takes the heat away?

That also brings me to another question.  If my Black Rock Slim keeps my CPU around 30 to 40 degrees under load on modern AAA games, but my H55 and push pull keeps my GPU at an average of 67 to 71c under load,  then I can't blame the internal case temps right?  Because wouldn't both be up there?

That also depends on where the radiators are, where they're drawing air from.  In my instance moving my CPU radiator over so it's no longer "slurping air" off the VRMs & GPU exhaust areas, lowered my CPU load temps back to what they were before I got the 3080.

Specs:

Page: < 12 Showing page 2 of 2
Jump to:
  • Back to Mobile