EVGA

Do we have any idea what the performance hit is when RTX is used?

Author
jeffmd
Superclocked Member
  • Total Posts : 173
  • Reward points : 0
  • Ribbons : 0
2018/10/17 19:41:07 (permalink)
So the 2070rtx is up for step up and it would cost me $86 to change out my 1080gtx. The performance is fairly much the same with about 5fps going to the 2070 at high resolutions. My question is though, are the RTX units part of the CUDA core that renders ALL 3d data or is it a part of the card that is totaly dormant until used? Is it like PHYSX where in order to use it, CUDA cores needed to be taken away from the 3d rendering pipeline to handle physics math thus impacting FPS performance. 

I'm worried that the fine line performance paired with second rate RTX performance (I'm sure most games will be targeting 2080's when it comes to RTX effects) will end up dragging frames down well below that of a 1080.

For now we only have tech DEMOs for RTX but even then it does not seem like any reviewers have access to them to do their own benchmarks yet, either. 

16 Replies Related Threads

GTXJackBauer
    Omnipotent Enthusiast
    • Total Posts : 10323
    • Ribbons : 48
    Re: Do we have any idea what the performance hit is when RTX is used? 2018/10/17 21:15:55 (permalink)
    I would do the step up because don't forget, the 1080 doesn't have Tensor and Ray Tracing cores on top of the cuda cores, once dev's start utilizing the GPUs full potential.

Use this Associate Code at your checkouts or follow these instructions for Up to 10% OFF on all your EVGA purchases:
    LMD3DNZM9LGK8GJ
    eawood
    • Total Posts : 33
    Re: Do we have any idea what the performance hit is when RTX is used? 2018/10/17 21:53:12 (permalink)
    The ray tracing and tensor (DLSS) cores aren't being used.  When they start to get used by new games you shouldn't necessarily see any direct performance hit but you will definitely see higher temps since more cores will be under load.  This may indirectly slow you down a little bit if your temps get high enough to drop your boost.
    toncij
    Superclocked Member
    • Total Posts : 213
    Re: Do we have any idea what the performance hit is when RTX is used? 2018/10/18 04:37:17 (permalink)
    From experience with an engineering sample and some testing, there is some slight hit, due to work to make RT usable on classic pipeline. Those were both early SDK and driver, but the hit is there. How big? Well, it's not insignificant. RT is not exactly "just use some more cores for RT", since it significantly changes the rendering pipeline. The hit depends on the implementation and features you use RT for. 
    the_Scarlet_one
    formerly Scarlet-tech
    • Total Posts : 24581
    • Ribbons : 79
    Re: Do we have any idea what the performance hit is when RTX is used? 2018/10/18 07:59:59 (permalink)
    It probably won’t be as big as the initial turds made it sound like. RT is an overlay that is processed by the RT cores, while the taster based rendering is accomplished by traditional cores. The bandwidth of the entire card will be impacted, but I bet it will be higher than the initial “Ray Tracing on 1080p can’t maintain 60fps” claims.

What I do find amusing is the Dice decided to use slow motion frames for their examples, with no fast paced gameplay at all. Later, they showed the “ray traced scenes” and explained that it ran great with no FPS drops at all, but nothing in the frame was moving. It was a static landscape with only the player model moving. Even the planes above the player model weren’t moving.

I won’t be investing into this cirst generation anytime soon, but I am very curious to see how the RT impact and experience is for others. Currently, I am not sold on a few more fancy shadows for the cost to play. Before anyone cries “it’s more than shadows” yes.. I know. It’s lighting and reflections as well as many other complex things... but riddle me this, how often have to stopped in an actual game and looked at a mirror to find an enemy standing behind you or around a corner??? The times you needed to do that, they were guided gameplay not real time gameplay... it isn’t impressive enough to sell me yet.

In all the tech demos so far, everything is very specifically set without any light movement. Every light was stationary. I would to see the light move like a flashlight would and see how it affects the environment around it rather than being guided lighting . I am hoping one of the games will provide the ability to see this.
    post edited by the_Scarlet_one - 2018/10/18 08:04:06
    arestavo
    CLASSIFIED ULTRA Member
    • Total Posts : 6916
    • Ribbons : 76
    Re: Do we have any idea what the performance hit is when RTX is used? 2018/10/18 11:20:20 (permalink)
    Call me an idiot, but if a 2080 ti can run BF V at 4K ultra just fine (100+ FPS overclocked), but needs to be turned down to 1080P to run at/near 60 FPS with raytracing on - I'd guess that the impact of running raytracing is pretty damn severe.

The solution would be to just turn off (or down, if it's a slider) raytracing for the 40% less gigaray/s 2070 (compared to the 2080 Ti).
    post edited by arestavo - 2018/10/18 11:30:44
    toncij
    Superclocked Member
    Re: Do we have any idea what the performance hit is when RTX is used? 2018/10/18 13:39:09 (permalink)
    Well, it is. :P You will probably have an option for the number of samples used. :)
    eawood
    Re: Do we have any idea what the performance hit is when RTX is used? 2018/10/18 17:03:17 (permalink)
    Yeah, but you have to consider it almost like two separate processors.  You have the bulk of the GPU handling your traditional rasterization and then you have the RT cores doing ray tracing.  If the ray tracing settings are such that the RT cores can only render 60fps @ 1080p, then that's gonna be your bottleneck no matter how fast the rest of your GPU can render their stuff.  In theory you should be able to tune the RT stuff down so it's no longer significantly impacting your frame rate, but the question is whether there's enough power in even the 2080ti to be effective at those settings with the presumed lack of optimization in the initial games/drivers.  Nobody knows what it's going to look like.  RTX might end up being pointless visually unless you have it cranked high enough to cripple your frame rate, which would be unfortunate.
    jeffmd
    Superclocked Member
    • Total Posts : 173
    Re: Do we have any idea what the performance hit is when RTX is used? 2018/10/18 17:55:14 (permalink)
    the game could be running 30fps not because the rasterization was so bogged down, but because the raytrace element could only be rendered at 30fps and it would look wierd with the reflections running at half the frame rate. 
    the_Scarlet_one
    formerly Scarlet-tech
    Re: Do we have any idea what the performance hit is when RTX is used? 2018/10/18 18:26:18 (permalink)
    arestavo
    Call me an idiot, but if a 2080 ti can run BF V at 4K ultra just fine (100+ FPS overclocked), but needs to be turned down to 1080P to run at/near 60 FPS with raytracing on - I'd guess that the impact of running raytracing is pretty damn severe.

The solution would be to just turn off (or down, if it's a slider) raytracing for the 40% less gigaray/s 2070 (compared to the 2080 Ti).

Has there been any proof that BFV is only running at 1080p ever? There was only one video claiming that raytracing was running at 1080p and that was on shadow of the tomb raider, and it was also proven that 1090p 60 FPS was the recording software resolution, and there was no proof that the game was running at 1080p.

Speculation means nothing, and it seems there is a lot of speculators spewing bad info since they have no games or proof of their claims so far.
    arestavo
    CLASSIFIED ULTRA Member
    • Total Posts : 6916
    • Ribbons : 76
    Re: Do we have any idea what the performance hit is when RTX is used? 2018/10/18 18:46:29 (permalink)
    the_Scarlet_one
    arestavo

Has there been any proof that BFV is only running at 1080p ever? There was only one video claiming that raytracing was running at 1080p and that was on shadow of the tomb raider, and it was also proven that 1090p 60 FPS was the recording software resolution, and there was no proof that the game was running at 1080p.

Speculation means nothing, and it seems there is a lot of speculators spewing bad info since they have no games or proof of their claims so far.

Google? 

https://hothardware.com/news/battlefield-v-ray-tracing-hitting-sub-30fps-4k-geforce-rtx-2080-ti

LittleGuy
    iCX Member
    • Total Posts : 315
    • Ribbons : 4
    Re: Do we have any idea what the performance hit is when RTX is used? 2018/10/18 18:50:39 (permalink)

Here you go the alpha was limited to 1080p according to PCGamesn.com 😁

We’ve played through the new Rotterdam map, using a $1,200 Nvidia RTX 2080 Ti and, while it is limited to 1080p in the early alpha stage, it’s still an incredibly impressive first stab at real-time ray tracing in a game that’s actually going to ship this year.

https://www.pcgamesn.com/how-dice-made-nvidias-ray-tracing-dreams-a-reality

Here is what there are referring to about BF 5 being turned down because of the performance hit.

https://www.tomshardware....ray-tracing,37732.html

My Affiliate Code: 73ELXGWGG0
    the_Scarlet_one
    formerly Scarlet-tech
    Re: Do we have any idea what the performance hit is when RTX is used? 2018/10/18 18:53:50 (permalink)
    arestavo
    Google? 

https://hothardware.com/news/battlefield-v-ray-tracing-hitting-sub-30fps-4k-geforce-rtx-2080-ti

A newer article showing that they are already scaling back ray tracing in favor of better performance.

Https://www.techpowerup.c...v-to-favor-performance

Dice has also pushed their launch date back as well, probably because ray tracing isn’t where they want it.

It’s going to end up being a cut scene feature only, so they can control the RTX side.

As far as a locked down demo, they were still a full two months out and admitted they needed to start optimizing performance.

*edit* if they end up having to go back to 1080p to be able to use raytracing, I am going to love seeing that fall out from the early adopters. These cards won’t sell well at all if the whole purpose is the new tech and it up only running 1/4 of the resolution they all wanted.
    post edited by the_Scarlet_one - 2018/10/18 18:57:52
    Hoggle
    EVGA Forum Moderator
    • Total Posts : 10102
    • Ribbons : 4
    Re: Do we have any idea what the performance hit is when RTX is used? 2018/10/18 19:07:06 (permalink)
    Personally I think it would be worth trading out since you also have support for the DLSS in addition to the ray tracing. I also think we won't see that much of a hit as people say we will since from my understanding they already limit the number of rays being used in the scene so 1080p and 4K could both be rendered with the same lighting data.

Use an Associates Code & SAVE 5% - 10% on your purchase. Just click on the associates banner to save, or enter the associates code at checkout on your next purchase. If you choose to use my code I want to personally say "Thank You" for using it. 

Georgia Dawg
    • Total Posts : 38
    Re: Do we have any idea what the performance hit is when RTX is used? 2018/10/18 20:11:06 (permalink)
    I wonder if the listed TDP for these new GPUs, is with RTX turned on? 
    eawood
    Re: Do we have any idea what the performance hit is when RTX is used? 2018/10/18 21:07:34 (permalink)
    I don't think thermals will be a huge issue since these cards are generally hitting power limits well before thermal limits (unless your cooler is awful).  If they get hotter it may be more tempting to put them under water though.  Right now the air coolers are fine, even overclocked.
    toncij
    Superclocked Member
    Re: Do we have any idea what the performance hit is when RTX is used? 2018/10/19 00:42:10 (permalink)
    eawood
    Yeah, but you have to consider it almost like two separate processors.  You have the bulk of the GPU handling your traditional rasterization and then you have the RT cores doing ray tracing.  If the ray tracing settings are such that the RT cores can only render 60fps @ 1080p, then that's gonna be your bottleneck no matter how fast the rest of your GPU can render their stuff.  In theory you should be able to tune the RT stuff down so it's no longer significantly impacting your frame rate, but the question is whether there's enough power in even the 2080ti to be effective at those settings with the presumed lack of optimization in the initial games/drivers.  Nobody knows what it's going to look like.  RTX might end up being pointless visually unless you have it cranked high enough to cripple your frame rate, which would be unfortunate.

It's not that simple; telling you as an engineer (I've been using the tech for a while now). It's not really a separate process all that much. It's interconnected and preparation for RT takes time (resources). Hybrid pipeline is complex and it can also give back so much.

Keep in mind this is still an amazing tech. RT is a significantly better way to do lightning. RT shadows trump SSAO any time, the difference is mind-blowing. Industry professionals are excited (we truly are), which doesn't necessarily transfer over to flashy visuals at this stage. It's obvious it's a luxury option at this moment, since $1500 card market is so limited (<1%).

But, to integrate it to modern games is not a trivial task. We need to learn how to do it effectively. To try to make it plastic: it feels like playing through a stealth FPS with 7 bullets and 30 enemies. So limited resources, so much to do with it.
    Jump to:
  • Back to Mobile