Disabling Virtualization May Improve Multithread Performance

Author
glocked89
Superclocked Member
  • Total Posts : 187
  • Reward points : 0
  • Ribbons : 0
2021/04/02 16:41:16 (permalink)
I'd like to preface by saying that I understand that a CPU-Z score isn't a good measurement of a CPU's performance.

But if it matters, I found myself struggling to stay above 10000 points on the multi thread score on my 10980xe at 4.5ghz all core. After troubleshooting for awhile, the only thing I did was disable virtualization in the bios and boom, my score jumped up to around 12500 points.

I recall a security vulnerability(one of many) that had to do something with virtualization? They must have rolled out an update for it.

Anyways, if you don't use Hyper-V or something like that, try disabling virtualization and see what happens
post edited by glocked89 - 2021/04/02 17:12:22

1 Reply Related Threads

ZoranC
    FTW Member
    • Total Posts : 1099
    • Reward points : 0
    • Ribbons : 16
    Re: Disabling Virtualization May Improve Multithread Performance 2021/04/03 11:24:28 (permalink)
    glocked89
    I'd like to preface by saying that I understand that a CPU-Z score isn't a good measurement of a CPU's performance.

But if it matters, I found myself struggling to stay above 10000 points on the multi thread score on my 10980xe at 4.5ghz all core. After troubleshooting for awhile, the only thing I did was disable virtualization in the bios and boom, my score jumped up to around 12500 points.

I recall a security vulnerability(one of many) that had to do something with virtualization? They must have rolled out an update for it.

Anyways, if you don't use Hyper-V or something like that, try disabling virtualization and see what happens

Two questions:

1) Which version of BIOS you are on?
    2) Performance of multi-threaded app is not dependent just on gear, it is dependent also on how app is written. Have you tried some other app and do you see same with that app too?
    Jump to:
  • Back to Mobile