EVGA

Disabling SATA ports

Author
James_Holdfast
  • Total Posts : 8
  • Reward points : 0
  • Ribbons : 0
2017/11/11 08:18:11 (permalink)
I have an issue where I'm trying to use an M.2 drive for games and a 1tb SSD on port 0 for media creation programs. My original intention was to boot into the SSD when I want to work and boot into the M2 drive when I want to play, so I created a bios profile for M.2 only, disabling the SATA ports entirely and a different bios profile disabling the m.2 drive. However, even with the ports disabled the motherboard boots back into the SSD regardless of settings and I have to physically disconnect the SATA drive to get it to boot back into the M.2 drive. Hopefully that makes sense as I know this is probably an odd scenario. Is there a way to choose which device I want to boot into with an F key at the intial load screen? And I also wonder why the board initializes the SATA ports even if they are disabled in the bios. Thanks in advance. System specs: X99 Classified, 6900k, WD 512gb NVMe, Crucial 1tb SSD.

9 Replies Related Threads

GTXJackBauer
    Omnipotent Enthusiast
    • Total Posts : 10323
    • Ribbons : 48
    Re: Disabling SATA ports 2017/11/11 08:42:38 (permalink)
    Not sure why the system is run like that as it surely looks complicating and the X99 series I would say wasn't completely sound so anything "extra" if you will you would throw at it it could go bonkers. lol  I honestly, would just keep the M.2 as boot drive and SATA drive as storage.  Use them both for w/e you do and grab a mechanical drive as backup if you're worried about you data.

Use this Associate Code at your checkouts or follow these instructions for Up to 10% OFF on all your EVGA purchases:
    LMD3DNZM9LGK8GJ
    James_Holdfast
    Re: Disabling SATA ports 2017/11/11 11:36:03 (permalink)
    GTXJackBauer
    Not sure why the system is run like that as it surely looks complicating and the X99 series I would say wasn't completely sound so anything "extra" if you will you would throw at it it could go bonkers. lol  I honestly, would just keep the M.2 as boot drive and SATA drive as storage.  Use them both for w/e you do and grab a mechanical drive as backup if you're worried about you data.

The idea is to strip down and tweak the operating system for work stuff on one drive, and have all the bells and whistles for gaming, like shadow play and other services running that can cause configuration problems on the other. It would also help when backing up the image of the 'important' drive without sacrificing the extra space for games and unimportant data.
    somethingc00l
    EGC Admin
    • Total Posts : 752
    • Ribbons : 11
    Re: Disabling SATA ports 2017/11/11 12:29:21 (permalink)
    James_Holdfast
     Is there a way to choose which device I want to boot into with an F key at the intial load screen? 

Pretty sure EVGA uses the ESC key for their boot menu, otherwise F12.
    James_Holdfast
    Re: Disabling SATA ports 2017/11/11 23:21:40 (permalink)
    Ok I'm dumb, I could just use the boot override selector. But to boot into the SSD you have to disable the m.2 or create a profile for it. Thanks for the help.
    Cool GTX
    EVGA Forum Moderator
    • Total Posts : 31001
    • Ribbons : 122
    Re: Disabling SATA ports 2017/11/12 08:47:46 (permalink)
    Which version of Win ?

Change Boot order of Drives in BIOS ?

You only had 1 drive installed when installing Windows on that drive ?

Learn your way around the EVGA Forums, Rules & limits on new accounts Ultimate Self-Starter Thread For New Members

I am a Volunteer Moderator - not an EVGA employee

https://foldingathome.org -->become a citizen scientist and contribute your compute power to help fight global health threats

RTX Project EVGA X99 FTWK Nibbler EVGA X99 Classified EVGA 3080Ti FTW3 Ultra

James_Holdfast
    Re: Disabling SATA ports 2017/11/12 10:57:01 (permalink)
    Cool GTX
    Which version of Win ?

Change Boot order of Drives in BIOS ?

You only had 1 drive installed when installing Windows on that drive ?

Win 10

Changing boot order had no effect. The system boots to the last drive successfully booted from regardless. Turning off all SATA ports had no effect as well and the system would boot to the drive on the disabled Sata port. This was my main concern.

Two drives were used: 1 NMVe drive and 1 SATA SSD and Windows installed on both drives.

My solution was to use the Boot Override Menu in the bios to boot to the desired drive. Information regarding F7 for the boot menu was very difficult to find. I did not know which F key to use as there is no documentation in the manual stating this invaluable piece of info.
    Cool GTX
    EVGA Forum Moderator
    • Total Posts : 31001
    • Ribbons : 122
    Re: Disabling SATA ports 2017/11/12 11:49:19 (permalink)
    James_Holdfast

Win 10

Changing boot order had no effect. The system boots to the last drive successfully booted from regardless. Turning off all SATA ports had no effect as well and the system would boot to the drive on the disabled Sata port. This was my main concern.

Two drives were used: 1 NMVe drive and 1 SATA SSD and Windows installed on both drives.

My solution was to use the Boot Override Menu in the bios to boot to the desired drive. Information regarding F7 for the boot menu was very difficult to find. I did not know which F key to use as there is no documentation in the manual stating this invaluable piece of info.

"The system boots to the last drive successfully booted from regardless."

Sounds like fast boot hard at work

My question about only 1 drive at a time when installing Windows ---> to Stop Win from "spanning all drives it can find" during the install process

Learn your way around the EVGA Forums, Rules & limits on new accounts Ultimate Self-Starter Thread For New Members

I am a Volunteer Moderator - not an EVGA employee

https://foldingathome.org -->become a citizen scientist and contribute your compute power to help fight global health threats

RTX Project EVGA X99 FTWK Nibbler EVGA X99 Classified EVGA 3080Ti FTW3 Ultra

bdary
    Omnipotent Enthusiast
    • Total Posts : 10337
    • Ribbons : 116
    Re: Disabling SATA ports 2017/11/12 12:33:21 (permalink)
    Cool GTX
    James_Holdfast

Win 10

My question about only 1 drive at a time when installing Windows ---> to Stop Win from "spanning all drives it can find" during the install process

I agree about it sounding like "Fast Boot" enabled, but this thing about Windows "spanning all drives" while doing an install has me scratching my head.  I have installed Win10 many times over the past cpl years with 3 and 4 drives installed while doing so.  I have never seen Windows installing or "spanning" on any other drive than the one I designated as the boot drive...??

The only reason I could see a need for disconnecting any extra drives would be if the person wasn't sure (during the install) what the disk numbers are and was worried (taking no chances) about installing the OS on the wrong drive by mistake...  That could cause some frustration.

HeavyHemi
    Insert Custom Title Here
    • Total Posts : 15665
    • Ribbons : 135
    Re: Disabling SATA ports 2017/11/12 12:45:25 (permalink)
    bdary
    Cool GTX
    James_Holdfast

Win 10

I agree about it sounding like "Fast Boot" enabled, but this thing about Windows "spanning all drives" while doing an install has me scratching my head.  I have installed Win10 many times over the past cpl years with 3 and 4 drives installed while doing so.  I have never seen Windows installing or "spanning" on any other drive than the one I designated as the boot drive...??

The only reason I could see a need for disconnecting any extra drives would be if the person wasn't sure (during the install) what the disk numbers are and was worried (taking no chances) about installing the OS on the wrong drive by mistake...  That could cause some frustration.

I think what he is getting it at is, on some systems, having multiple drives installed can cause odd issues with boot sectors/EFI/recovery sectors being written to other drives. I've personally never had that happen, though I've seen it happen to others and the solution is to install with just the OS target drive installed.

EVGA X99 FTWK / i7 6850K @ 4.5ghz / RTX 3080Ti FTW Ultra / 32GB Corsair LPX 3600mhz / Samsung 850Pro 256GB / Be Quiet BN516 Straight Power 12-1000w 80 Plus Platinum / Window 10 Pro

Jump to:
  • Back to Mobile