EVGA

Digital River: "Games as a Service, Microtransactions, Tripled Industry's Value"

Author
rjohnson11
EVGA Forum Moderator
  • Total Posts : 102291
  • Reward points : 0
  • Ribbons : 84
2017/10/16 09:53:37 (permalink)
https://www.techpowerup.com/237892/digital-river-games-as-a-service-microtransactions-tripled-industrys-value

The gaming industries' value has roughly tripled since the inception of the G"Games as a Service Model", which includes DLC (like Destiny and Destiny 2' content modules) and microtransactions. So the gaming industry has found new ways to make even more cash.

AMD Ryzen 9 7950X,  Corsair Mp700 Pro M.2, 64GB Corsair Dominator Titanium DDR5  X670E Steel Legend, MSI RTX 4090 Associate Code: H5U80QBH6BH0AXF. I am NOT an employee of EVGA

9 Replies Related Threads

kidcrumb
    CLASSIFIED Member
    • Total Posts : 4541
    • Ribbons : 6
    Re: Digital River: "Games as a Service, Microtransactions, Tripled Industry's Value" 2017/10/16 10:05:06 (permalink)
    I don't mind paying for DLC if theres enough content. Its basically the same as expansion packs.

I don't even mind having microtransactions in Destiny 2 where you buy Silver or whatever for shaders, cosmetics, and other things.

What I hate is when paying is the ONLY way to get certain items, or the grind is so abysmal the game is barely worth playing (Looking at you Star Wars: The Old Republic) OR when paying for items doesn't even get what you want, just the chance at a drop. Black Ops 3 care packages were so bad. If I do decide to pay real money, I shouldn't be getting a regular supply drop full of the items I already have. I probably put in over 100 hours into Black Ops 3 and NEVER got a care package weapon. That is ridiculous. There were like 10 items in the game I never got to use because I refused to pay for a care package.

I don't even care if people want to pay to level up because they have less time to play than I do. The problem is where the only way to play the game is to pay for buffs with micro transactions.

League of Legends? Great example of how to do microtransactions. Just skins and champs. You unlock champs pretty quickly if that's your focus and you cant buy +50 atk at the start of the game. So its not pay to win, purely cosmetic.

Intel i7 11700k l ASUS PRIME Z590-A l ASUS TUF RTX3080Ti l 32GB Corsair Vengeance Pro l Evga 1000w Gold l 512GB Samsung EVO l 2x5 TB Storage Drives l  Corsair Crystal 570X White l Audio Engine A5+

fearpoint
    CLASSIFIED Member
    • Total Posts : 3184
    • Ribbons : 3
    Re: Digital River: "Games as a Service, Microtransactions, Tripled Industry's Value" 2017/10/16 10:48:02 (permalink)
    The fact that PC users are less willing to pay the full upfront cost of games, usually waiting a few weeks before taking the plunge so as to take advantage of lowered pricing - which occurs much earlier compared to other platforms - leads the report to say that PC gamers are "gaming the games market".

Translation: The fact most games are simply paid DLC platforms first and foremost restricting, cutting, and delaying core game content means many gamers are fed up paying MSRP for the latest bamboozle. Instead of asking tough questions about whether 50 different pre-order bonuses, season passes, subscriptions, and game versions is the right direction to attract consumers, game publishers continue to double down year after year regardless of actual sales thinking doing the exact opposite of what benefits consumers will make yearly throw away franchise releases this year's must have.

Paying MSRP for games is retarded especially if that game is already trying to sell you additional content before it's released or has a store front in which they just cut a bunch of content out to sell to you on top of the entry price you just paid. These paid DLC platforms that charge an entry fee are getting out of hand.

I just bought Ghost Recon Wildlands and Deus Ex Mankind Divide this weekend. Both games have microtransaction/store fronts and I specifically waited until they were heavily reduced in price before I even considered a purchase.
    Killmur
    CLASSIFIED ULTRA Member
    • Total Posts : 5311
    • Ribbons : 7
    Re: Digital River: "Games as a Service, Microtransactions, Tripled Industry's Value" 2017/10/16 14:14:40 (permalink)
    What I hate the most is when the damned season pass costs more than the game and yet 80+% of the content in the season pass is utter trash. BethSoft pulled this crap with Fallout 4's season pass. What makes no sense is ID Software rebundled DooM with the 6.66 patch and all mp dlc for a proper 30 bucks while it costs 80 bucks for F4 and the season pass. Yea the game industry is so messed up money wise it's sad. I refuse to pay for games past the 40 dollar mark now. I also make sure to buy games bundled on the cheap with all extra content.

Edome
    iCX Member
    • Total Posts : 271
    • Ribbons : 1
    Re: Digital River: "Games as a Service, Microtransactions, Tripled Industry's Value" 2017/10/16 14:32:47 (permalink)
    It seems many game publishers are just probing for the upper limit how much gamers are willing to pay...
    fearpoint
    CLASSIFIED Member
    • Total Posts : 3184
    • Ribbons : 3
    Re: Digital River: "Games as a Service, Microtransactions, Tripled Industry's Value" 2017/10/17 12:21:13 (permalink)
    Edome
    It seems many game publishers are just probing for the upper limit how much gamers are willing to pay...

They need to probe their outrageous marketing budgets instead. That will result in more profits then trying to drain the consumer 5 times over after the initial purchase to break even.
    Brad_Hawthorne
    Insert Custom Title Here
    • Total Posts : 23174
    • Ribbons : 39
    Re: Digital River: "Games as a Service, Microtransactions, Tripled Industry's Value" 2017/10/17 13:08:44 (permalink)
    Marketing spin on the fact that they pilfered 3x the money out of people with loot boxes.
    gipothegip
    Superclocked Member
    • Total Posts : 184
    • Ribbons : 0
    Re: Digital River: "Games as a Service, Microtransactions, Tripled Industry's Value" 2017/10/19 12:23:50 (permalink)
    fearpoint
    The fact that PC users are less willing to pay the full upfront cost of games, usually waiting a few weeks before taking the plunge so as to take advantage of lowered pricing - which occurs much earlier compared to other platforms - leads the report to say that PC gamers are "gaming the games market".

Translation: The fact most games are simply paid DLC platforms first and foremost restricting, cutting, and delaying core game content means many gamers are fed up paying MSRP for the latest bamboozle. Instead of asking tough questions about whether 50 different pre-order bonuses, season passes, subscriptions, and game versions is the right direction to attract consumers, game publishers continue to double down year after year regardless of actual sales thinking doing the exact opposite of what benefits consumers will make yearly throw away franchise releases this year's must have.

Paying MSRP for games is retarded especially if that game is already trying to sell you additional content before it's released or has a store front in which they just cut a bunch of content out to sell to you on top of the entry price you just paid. These paid DLC platforms that charge an entry fee are getting out of hand.

I just bought Ghost Recon Wildlands and Deus Ex Mankind Divide this weekend. Both games have microtransaction/store fronts and I specifically waited until they were heavily reduced in price before I even considered a purchase.

Agreed. Triple A companies and publishers seem to love doing this. Even worse IMO is when they charge a bunch for insignificant content. Whether it's $20 for a minor dlc, or $60 for a game that doesn't sport that level of features or content.

When it comes to the situation with dlc in general, I direly miss the days of good ol' expansion packs. Too few games seem to do real expansions anymore. So many stupid micro transactions, and little things. It wouldn't be so bad if it were reasonably priced, and they didn't ham it up for every penny. Minor dlc is fine, but minor dlc at expansion pack pricing is steep.

Cut content just sucks, and is like a carrot on a stick. I can maybe understand if they couldn't originally implement something in the core game, but cutting content with the intention to sell it as an add-on is just blatant cash grabbing.

Syzich
    Superclocked Member
    • Total Posts : 188
    • Ribbons : 0
    Re: Digital River: "Games as a Service, Microtransactions, Tripled Industry's Value" 2017/10/19 12:37:23 (permalink)
    Non MMO games that immediately come to mind that have done post release content very well are Oblivion and GTA IV. Shivering Isles and The Ballad of Gay Tony/The Lost and Damned were great, IMO. So many other games release tiny tidbits and charge way too much, what with their season passes and whatnot. Though, I suppose I am still part of the problem as I bought every one of Destiny's "expansions" upon release...
    candle_86
    CLASSIFIED Member
    • Total Posts : 3677
    • Ribbons : 7
    Re: Digital River: "Games as a Service, Microtransactions, Tripled Industry's Value" 2017/10/21 05:33:44 (permalink)
    if the game is free micro transactions are fine, if however you dropped 60 bucks on it, or pay a monthly subscription micro transactions should only be for purely cosmetic needs, and any new content should be part of a large DLC. 
    Jump to:
  • Back to Mobile