EVGA

Different Clock and Memory Speeds on 2 non-SLI GTX970's in my system - why?

Author
mhamilto
  • Total Posts : 11
  • Reward points : 0
  • Ribbons : 0
2017/06/03 13:48:42 (permalink)
Hello:

I have a 3 year old z97 mobo with 2 GTX970's in my system.  I run 6 monitors off the 2 cards in my Flightsim system, and all works well.  I have EVGA Precision installed and was looking at it.  I am not really familiar with it but am learning.  One of the GTX 970's shows its clock speed as 937MHz and memory clock speed of 3505MHz.  The other GTX970 shows its clock speed as 135MHz and memory clock speed of 324MHz.  Is this normal?  I do not use SLI as there is no gain in Prepar3D, the program I use for FS.  The cards are installed in adjacent slots.  Why is there so much difference in the speeds?  Is there any way to get the speeds closer, so the slower card is working better?  Sorry for my inexperience with this.  Any help or advice or troubleshooting tips would be great.  Thanks in advance. 

2 Replies Related Threads

Sajin
    EVGA Forum Moderator
    • Total Posts : 49167
    • Ribbons : 199
    Re: Different Clock and Memory Speeds on 2 non-SLI GTX970's in my system - why? 2017/06/03 14:49:49 (permalink)
    Here are the top causes of why a GPU would run at full clocks at idle...

#1 You're running multiple monitors. Fix: Enable mutil display power saver using nvidia inspector.
    #2 Your machine has a virus. Fix: Scan computer using malwarebytes.
    #3 One or more programs running in the background are using your GPU. Fix: Perform a clean boot of windows.
    #4 Power management mode inside the nvidia control panel is set to prefer maximum performance. Fix: Set power management mode to adaptive then reboot your computer.
    #5 Running a resolution of 2560x1440 @ 144Hz. Fix: Change refresh rate to 120Hz.
    #6 K-Boost is enabled inside Precision X. Fix: Disable K-Boost.
    #7 Shadowplay is enabled inside geforce experience. Fix: Disable shadowplay inside geforce experience OR completely uninstall geforce experience from your machine (highly recommended)
    mhamilto
    • Total Posts : 11
    • Ribbons : 0
    Re: Different Clock and Memory Speeds on 2 non-SLI GTX970's in my system - why? 2017/06/03 16:30:33 (permalink)
    Alright, thank you, will try these.  Interesting, when running the Prepar3D flight sim, and then using the OSD of Precision XOC, the OSD shows the second GTX has a much faster clock speed than I reported earlier.  I will watch this and see what is going on.  Thanks for your help.
    Jump to:
  • Back to Mobile