EVGA

Did my EVGA SuperNOVA NEX 650 W 80+ Gold Power Supply fry my graphics card?

Author
evandowning
New Member
  • Total Posts : 2
  • Reward points : 0
  • Joined: 2018/06/30 14:22:15
  • Status: offline
  • Ribbons : 0
2018/11/13 10:21:51 (permalink)
Link to my build here: 
 
A few months ago I was playing Realm Royale with my friends and then my graphics card stopped working. The computer was still on, but the screen went black. I was able to turn on my PC, but whenever I tried to load a game it would work only momentarily and then it would have the same issue. The graphics card was dead! It was near the end of the warranty period, so I RMA'd it and received another GTX 980 Ti. 
 
Fast forward yesterday and I was playing Dark Souls III, then my monitor screens went white. I smelled an electrical burning smell coming from my case. I force shut down my computer, and then found it wouldn't boot. The Graphics card was hot to the touch, as was the RAM. The PC would start (light on, fans running, GFX card lights up), but monitors would stay black. Removing the Graphics card brought me to "windows repair" and after some finangling I was able to start up the PC without the GFX card.

I smelled the GFX card and could smell the electrical burning scent coming from it. I checked the mobo and found no bulging or burnt capacitors. Checking the voltage of the PSU in the bios gave me good numbers.
 
I'm sure my GFX card is shot, but what I *don't* know is why. Was it just a bad GFX card? Or did my PS fry my graphics card? Is there any way to tell? Other than checking voltage I'm not sure how to troubleshoot a power supply and don't know how to tell if it was the culprit.
 
I contacted support asking if the card I recieved via RMA was used or refurbished but got no response to that question. It seems unlikely to me that the GFX card would be fried so easily; my computer has never had any dust or temperature problems. The "new" 980 Ti I was using was rarely under any load at all; I almost exclusively have played NES games on stream for the past few months, and just yesterday was my first time with a modern game in months! 
#1

4 Replies Related Threads

    Sajin
    EVGA Forum Moderator
    • Total Posts : 32715
    • Reward points : 0
    • Joined: 2010/06/07 21:11:51
    • Location: Texas, USA.
    • Status: online
    • Ribbons : 186
    Re: Did my EVGA SuperNOVA NEX 650 W 80+ Gold Power Supply fry my graphics card? 2018/11/13 12:53:20 (permalink)
    The card you received was most likely recertified. Sounds like you just received a faulty card. How old is your psu?


    #2
    evandowning
    New Member
    • Total Posts : 2
    • Reward points : 0
    • Joined: 2018/06/30 14:22:15
    • Status: offline
    • Ribbons : 0
    Re: Did my EVGA SuperNOVA NEX 650 W 80+ Gold Power Supply fry my graphics card? 2018/11/13 12:58:41 (permalink)
    I bought the PSU in 2015. Is there any way I can guarantee my PSU isn't frying things, or is this something I just have to gamble with unless it goes kaput? Other than checking voltage in the bios I am not sure what to do.
     
    Unfortunately the faulty card I received is not under warranty because it used my old card's warranty. I RMA'd right before the warranty expired, unfortunately only got me about 3 months. :( 
    #3
    Sajin
    EVGA Forum Moderator
    • Total Posts : 32715
    • Reward points : 0
    • Joined: 2010/06/07 21:11:51
    • Location: Texas, USA.
    • Status: online
    • Ribbons : 186
    Re: Did my EVGA SuperNOVA NEX 650 W 80+ Gold Power Supply fry my graphics card? 2018/11/13 13:11:45 (permalink)
    I doubt your psu is damaging your cards. If the ripple on your psu was way out of spec it would be frying other components as well. To accurately check the ripple on your psu you'll need a good quality oscilloscope which aren't cheap. If you suspect your psu is damaging components it would be best to rma the unit.


    #4
    EVGATech_ThomasN
    EVGA Tech Support
    • Total Posts : 151
    • Reward points : 0
    • Joined: 2017/06/05 00:00:00
    • Location: EVGA
    • Status: offline
    • Ribbons : 1
    Re: Did my EVGA SuperNOVA NEX 650 W 80+ Gold Power Supply fry my graphics card? 2018/11/13 13:28:21 (permalink)
    Hello Evan, 
     
     
    I'm sorry to hear that you're having this issue with your graphics and the RMA process. I do apologize about the inconveniences! I'm here to assist you, please allow me a couple of minutes here to send you an email personally! Let's work on getting this resolved for you. If you have any further questions or concerns, feel free to contact us back here or through our Customer Support Line 1 (888) 881-3842. 
     
     
    Regards,
    Thomas N. 
    #5
    Jump to:
  • Back to Mobile