Denied RMA for second-hand purchase of RTX 2080ti Black Edition Gaming

Page: 12 > Showing page 1 of 2
Author
adityajaypal
  • Total Posts : 14
  • Reward points : 0
  • Ribbons : 0
2020/10/23 06:11:06 (permalink)
(I used this text in a Reddit post as well) Hello, I recently purchased an EVGA RTX 2080ti Black Edition Gaming second-hand from someone off Kijiji (a Canadian online classifieds advertising service). I was informed by the seller that the card was not working properly (memory issues) but it was still under warranty so I could RMA it. it was priced lucratively as a result, and I jumped at the opportunity and purchased it with cash (yes, I know, terrible decision, and it gets worse). The seller lived a fair distance away and I don't have a car, so I had a friend meet him and swap the card for the cash. I tested it on my rig and as expected, lots of artifacts and flickering, GPU-Z reports 0 MB V-RAM, and resolution is locked to 1080p on my 1440p monitor. I decided to call up EVGA and get the RMA process underway, but they told me that apparently the card was already sent in for an RMA (earlier this year, so by the seller) and was rejected for physical damage. I explained my situation (I wasn't informed of this, a serial number check didn't reveal this history, and it still had >500 days of warranty) and escalated the issue, only to be told that they wouldn't consider anything. They said the RMA was denied for damage and as a result they wouldn't consider for an RMA no matter what, but the previous owner's account was deleted so all they have are some pictures of the card when I ask for what damage they saw. I'm holding the card right now, and all I think I see is sag from its weight (I've posted a few pics of the GPU here as well, in case there's something I'm not seeing). I'm hoping to talk to someone from the EVGA team to see if we can figure some way out of this very tricky situation. If anyone can help me, I'd seriously appreciate it (and buy you a pizza for your troubles, I'm serious)! Pictures: 

post edited by adityajaypal - 2020/10/23 06:18:57

Attached Image(s)

35 Replies Related Threads

the_Scarlet_one
    formerly Scarlet-tech
    • Total Posts : 24581
    • Ribbons : 79
    Re: Denied RMA for second-hand purchase of RTX 2080ti Black Edition Gaming 2020/10/23 06:44:00 (permalink)
    Did the previous owner take the card apart at any point in time? I wouldn’t trust the original owners word over verifying the condition of the card itself.

Look at the backplate, and see if the small EVGA sticker over one of the screws is missing.
    adityajaypal
    Re: Denied RMA for second-hand purchase of RTX 2080ti Black Edition Gaming 2020/10/23 06:47:52 (permalink)
    the_Scarlet_one
    Did the previous owner take the card apart at any point in time? I wouldn’t trust the original owners word over verifying the condition of the card itself.

Look at the backplate, and see if the small EVGA sticker over one of the screws is missing.

Hmm, I don't see a sticker on the backplate...that's not a good sign, is it?
    the_Scarlet_one
    formerly Scarlet-tech
    Re: Denied RMA for second-hand purchase of RTX 2080ti Black Edition Gaming 2020/10/23 06:51:07 (permalink)
    It may not be a good sign. At this point, if the sticker is missing, it may be beneficial to take the card apart to see if you find damage.

The sticker looks like this:

post edited by the_Scarlet_one - 2020/10/23 06:53:55
    adityajaypal
    Re: Denied RMA for second-hand purchase of RTX 2080ti Black Edition Gaming 2020/10/23 07:09:15 (permalink)
    the_Scarlet_one
    It may not be a good sign. At this point, if the sticker is missing, it may be beneficial to take the card apart to see if you find damage.

The sticker looks like this:

Yeah, there's no sticker :(

Well, I suppose I could open it up...but realistically is there anything I could do to fix my problems? It sounds like a dying chip
    the_Scarlet_one
    formerly Scarlet-tech
    Re: Denied RMA for second-hand purchase of RTX 2080ti Black Edition Gaming 2020/10/23 07:26:42 (permalink)
    There is always a possibility that you could find something that you can fix, and if nothing else, you will have some answers.

I would be too curious not to peek at least.
    adityajaypal
    Re: Denied RMA for second-hand purchase of RTX 2080ti Black Edition Gaming 2020/10/23 07:38:13 (permalink)
    the_Scarlet_one
    There is always a possibility that you could find something that you can fix, and if nothing else, you will have some answers.

I would be too curious not to peek at least.

Heh fair enough, plus given the limited response from EVGA, chances are I won't be getting rid of this brick any time soon...I'll admit I'm curious too, I've always wanted to try the oven nuke solution
    the_Scarlet_one
    formerly Scarlet-tech
    Re: Denied RMA for second-hand purchase of RTX 2080ti Black Edition Gaming 2020/10/23 07:40:26 (permalink)
    Also, I am re-reading your original post, does the card show any codes in device manager when you have it installed?
    adityajaypal
    Re: Denied RMA for second-hand purchase of RTX 2080ti Black Edition Gaming 2020/10/23 07:49:22 (permalink)
    the_Scarlet_one
    Also, I am re-reading your original post, does the card show any codes in device manager when you have it installed?

I got code 43 when I was testing it a few days ago...from what I understand, code 43 is a generic error code but I haven't had much (read: any) experience with this

I'll attach a pic, still new to the forum so I gotta figure that out 

edit: here's the pic, you can see some artifacts photo-bombing as well

post edited by adityajaypal - 2020/10/23 07:55:43

Attached Image(s)

aka_STEVE_b
    EGC Admin
    • Total Posts : 17692
    • Ribbons : 69
    Re: Denied RMA for second-hand purchase of RTX 2080ti Black Edition Gaming 2020/10/23 08:15:55 (permalink)
    maybe also find a repair tech shop that may be able to look at it & fix....

AMD RYZEN 9 5900X  12-core cpu~ ASUS ROG Crosshair VIII Dark Hero ~ EVGA RTX 3080 Ti FTW3~ G.SKILL Trident Z NEO 32GB DDR4-3600 ~ Phanteks Eclipse P400s red case ~ EVGA SuperNOVA 1000 G+ PSU ~ Intel 660p M.2 drive~ Crucial MX300 275 GB SSD ~WD 2TB SSD ~CORSAIR H115i RGB Pro XT 280mm cooler ~ CORSAIR Dark Core RGB Pro mouse ~ CORSAIR K68 Mech keyboard ~ HGST 4TB Hd.~ AOC AGON 32" monitor 1440p @ 144Hz ~ Win 10 x64
    adityajaypal
    Re: Denied RMA for second-hand purchase of RTX 2080ti Black Edition Gaming 2020/10/23 08:33:16 (permalink)
    aka_STEVE_b
    maybe also find a repair tech shop that may be able to look at it & fix....

Currently doing that as well, not looking forward to paying extra but at this point I don't think I'm in a position to negotiate that heh
    the_Scarlet_one
    formerly Scarlet-tech
    Re: Denied RMA for second-hand purchase of RTX 2080ti Black Edition Gaming 2020/10/23 08:51:46 (permalink)
    I am curious if they shunt modded the card by any chance
    EVGATech_AdamB
    FTW Member
    • Total Posts : 1930
    • Ribbons : 4
    Re: Denied RMA for second-hand purchase of RTX 2080ti Black Edition Gaming 2020/10/23 09:50:20 (permalink)
    Hello adityajaypal! I looked into this and it looks like about 5 people have tried to perform an RMA on this card in the past. As the original owner sent it to us in a damaged condition, we are unable to process it for any warranty. Physical damage is not something that is able to be covered under warranty. When it was originally declined, the original owner who tried to RMA it sent it in a box without adequate padding and the PCB arrived bent. Perhaps they tried to straighten it after it was returned to them but a bent PCB cannot simply be repaired as that would be catastrophic damage to the graphics card. Unfortunately, we are not in control if someone has their RMA denied for damage and then resells the card to someone else. Considering the history I see on the serial number, it looks like this may have been resold a few times. As it was denied previously for damage, it will continue to be denied to whoever tries to perform an RMA for it. 

Like our service? Please provide feedback for us at the link HERE
    CraptacularOne
    Omnipotent Enthusiast
    • Total Posts : 14533
    • Ribbons : 222
    Re: Denied RMA for second-hand purchase of RTX 2080ti Black Edition Gaming 2020/10/23 12:12:35 (permalink)
    Tough lesson to learn, but never, ever buy an expensive video card from a seller that claims they don't want to RMA or don't want to deal with an RMA despite the card being under warranty. There is usually an underlying reason. From the sounds of it, looks like the card has been passed around from one buyer to the next and each of them getting burned and in turn ripping the next person off. 

Intel i9 14900K ...............................Ryzen 9 7950X3D
    MSI RTX 4090 Gaming Trio................ASRock Phantom RX 7900 XTX
    Samsung Odyssey G9.......................PiMax 5K Super/Meta Quest 3
    ASUS ROG Strix Z690-F Gaming........ASUS TUF Gaming X670E Plus WiFi
    64GB G.Skill Trident Z5 6800Mhz.......64GB Kingston Fury RGB 6000Mhz
    MSI MPG A1000G 1000w..................EVGA G3 SuperNova 1000w
    kougar
    CLASSIFIED Member
    • Total Posts : 3034
    • Ribbons : 22
    Re: Denied RMA for second-hand purchase of RTX 2080ti Black Edition Gaming 2020/10/23 15:43:48 (permalink)
    Really sorry to hear about your card OP. At this point you might as well take it apart and see what the damage is, always the chance it could be some simple surface components that got broken off. Feel free to post some detailed shots of the PCB here if you do.

Always keep in mind... it takes more time and effort to sell a piece of hardware online than it does to simply put it in a box and RMA it directly. So it's a safe bet the vast majority of people that claim they're too lazy to RMA it themselves yet are trying to sell it are already lying. 

Have water, will cool. 
    adityajaypal
    Re: Denied RMA for second-hand purchase of RTX 2080ti Black Edition Gaming 2020/10/24 11:16:46 (permalink)
    EVGATech_AdamB
    Hello adityajaypal! I looked into this and it looks like about 5 people have tried to perform an RMA on this card in the past. As the original owner sent it to us in a damaged condition, we are unable to process it for any warranty. Physical damage is not something that is able to be covered under warranty. When it was originally declined, the original owner who tried to RMA it sent it in a box without adequate padding and the PCB arrived bent. Perhaps they tried to straighten it after it was returned to them but a bent PCB cannot simply be repaired as that would be catastrophic damage to the graphics card. Unfortunately, we are not in control if someone has their RMA denied for damage and then resells the card to someone else. Considering the history I see on the serial number, it looks like this may have been resold a few times. As it was denied previously for damage, it will continue to be denied to whoever tries to perform an RMA for it. 

Good God, 5 times?! Even the guys at EVGA I was on call with only told me it was attempted once before....man I guess it really can't be helped then eh?

adityajaypal
    Re: Denied RMA for second-hand purchase of RTX 2080ti Black Edition Gaming 2020/10/24 11:19:29 (permalink)
    CraptacularOne
    Tough lesson to learn, but never, ever buy an expensive video card from a seller that claims they don't want to RMA or don't want to deal with an RMA despite the card being under warranty. There is usually an underlying reason. From the sounds of it, looks like the card has been passed around from one buyer to the next and each of them getting burned and in turn ripping the next person off. 

I was initially suspicious, but my greed got the better of me :/

Well, I'm wiser (and poorer) now!
    Cool GTX
    EVGA Forum Moderator
    • Total Posts : 31001
    • Ribbons : 122
    Re: Denied RMA for second-hand purchase of RTX 2080ti Black Edition Gaming 2020/10/24 11:25:08 (permalink)
    sometimes it is amazing what these damaged cards, can bring on auction sites ... just clearly state " for parts Only "

Learn your way around the EVGA Forums, Rules & limits on new accounts Ultimate Self-Starter Thread For New Members

I am a Volunteer Moderator - not an EVGA employee

https://foldingathome.org -->become a citizen scientist and contribute your compute power to help fight global health threats

RTX Project EVGA X99 FTWK Nibbler EVGA X99 Classified EVGA 3080Ti FTW3 Ultra

adityajaypal
    Re: Denied RMA for second-hand purchase of RTX 2080ti Black Edition Gaming 2020/10/24 11:35:59 (permalink)
    kougar
    Really sorry to hear about your card OP. At this point you might as well take it apart and see what the damage is, always the chance it could be some simple surface components that got broken off. Feel free to post some detailed shots of the PCB here if you do.

Always keep in mind... it takes more time and effort to sell a piece of hardware online than it does to simply put it in a box and RMA it directly. So it's a safe bet the vast majority of people that claim they're too lazy to RMA it themselves yet are trying to sell it are already lying. 

Yeah that's an important lesson that I've learned in spades now hehe...

I'd be overjoyed if the problem could be fixed by something as simple as a solder job. However, the symptoms sound a lot like a dying chip, which apparently a lot of these 2080tis have. Anyway, I'll open it up and send an image of the PCB here
    Cool GTX
    EVGA Forum Moderator
    Re: Denied RMA for second-hand purchase of RTX 2080ti Black Edition Gaming 2020/10/24 11:45:45 (permalink)
    great starter thread linked HERE

best to use a host site for the photo like imgur

Learn your way around the EVGA Forums, Rules & limits on new accounts Ultimate Self-Starter Thread For New Members

https://foldingathome.org -->become a citizen scientist and contribute your compute power to help fight global health threats

adityajaypal
    Re: Denied RMA for second-hand purchase of RTX 2080ti Black Edition Gaming 2020/10/24 11:53:40 (permalink)
    Cool GTX
    great starter thread linked

best to use a host site for the photo like imgur

Thanks for the link, that's very useful! And yeah, I find this photo attachment system pretty cumbersome so I'll probably use just Imgur
    CraptacularOne
    Omnipotent Enthusiast
    Re: Denied RMA for second-hand purchase of RTX 2080ti Black Edition Gaming 2020/10/24 12:36:33 (permalink)
    adityajaypal
    kougar

Always keep in mind... it takes more time and effort to sell a piece of hardware online than it does to simply put it in a box and RMA it directly. So it's a safe bet the vast majority of people that claim they're too lazy to RMA it themselves yet are trying to sell it are already lying. 

Yeah that's an important lesson that I've learned in spades now hehe...

I'd be overjoyed if the problem could be fixed by something as simple as a solder job. However, the symptoms sound a lot like a dying chip, which apparently a lot of these 2080tis have. Anyway, I'll open it up and send an image of the PCB here

The PCB of the card has been bent from what the EVGA tech said. That isn't a "dying chip" that's catastrophic damage to the card. The PCB has many layers, and in those layers are traces of copper that carry data from the various components. When you bend the PCB those traces can be severed and there is no amount of soldering that is going to fix it since there is no way to get into the internal layers of PCB after it's been "printed" and layered. 

Also the memory artifacting, while fairly well documented isn't anywhere near a widespread issue on the 2080Ti. It was something that got blown way out of proportion when the cards launched. As with any launch (3000 series included) there is going to be a normal failure rate. People that aren't having issues with the card aren't going to be posting and updating that they are problem free. They are going to be gaming and enjoying the card. It's the vocal minority that were unfortunate and got a bad card that are going to make all the noise and rightly so, I'd be rather upset if a $1200 video card i purchased died a few days in. However that was not the "norm". Most people that had one (myself included) had no issue with it ever from day 1. 

LittleGuy
    iCX Member
    • Total Posts : 315
    Re: Denied RMA for second-hand purchase of RTX 2080ti Black Edition Gaming 2020/10/24 12:54:14 (permalink)
    Evga can you make a page for people to input a serial number to see if the card was rm'd before and if was denied or repaired This would help people buying used cards.
    post edited by LittleGuy - 2020/10/24 12:57:24

My Affiliate Code: 73ELXGWGG0
    Cool GTX
    EVGA Forum Moderator
    Re: Denied RMA for second-hand purchase of RTX 2080ti Black Edition Gaming 2020/10/24 13:02:58 (permalink)
    LittleGuy
    Evga can you make a page for people to input a serial number to see if the card was rm'd before and if was denied or repaired This would help people buying used cards.

Complaints and Suggestions

LittleGuy
    iCX Member
    Re: Denied RMA for second-hand purchase of RTX 2080ti Black Edition Gaming 2020/10/24 13:14:09 (permalink)
    Cool GTX
    LittleGuy

Complaints and Suggestions

Thanks and done. I did not know they had that.

CraptacularOne
    Omnipotent Enthusiast
    Re: Denied RMA for second-hand purchase of RTX 2080ti Black Edition Gaming 2020/10/24 14:09:50 (permalink)
    LittleGuy

I have a better idea.....don't buy knowingly damaged cards

LittleGuy
    iCX Member
    Re: Denied RMA for second-hand purchase of RTX 2080ti Black Edition Gaming 2020/10/24 19:38:17 (permalink)
    CraptacularOne
    LittleGuy

True, but they did not know it was damaged just it was not working properly and still under warranty. Someone could buy a card that a cap is broken off or something that is under the heat sink they cannot see that was damaged. This can help some know that the card was not alread sent in for repair and denied.

CraptacularOne
    Omnipotent Enthusiast
    Re: Denied RMA for second-hand purchase of RTX 2080ti Black Edition Gaming 2020/10/24 19:46:01 (permalink)
    LittleGuy
    CraptacularOne
    LittleGuy

True, but they did not know it was damaged just it was not working properly and still under warranty. Someone could buy a card that a cap is broken off or something that is under the heat sink they cannot see that was damaged. This can help some know that the card was not alread sent in for repair and denied.

He bought the card knowing full well it didn’t work. You should never buy a card that is known to not be working with the intent of RMAing it. If a seller ever claims they “don’t have time” or “don’t want the hassle” that should immediately set off red flags. There is a reason they don’t want to RMA it and that reason as unfortunately discovered by the OP is that it was denied RMA for damage. 

A simple way to avoid falling for the same tactic is to never buy non working parts with the intent of RMA. 

Dabadger84
    CLASSIFIED Member
    • Total Posts : 3426
    • Ribbons : 10
    Re: Denied RMA for second-hand purchase of RTX 2080ti Black Edition Gaming 2020/10/24 19:57:05 (permalink)
    Sounds like you got jipped indeed.  And unfortunately since you didn't buy it off of a site where there's any sort of resolution possibilities (EBay would allow you to return it for a refund for instance cuz you can't RMA so the seller was lying), there's really nothing you can do, other than resell it with it clearly being listed as "For Parts Only" to recoup some of your funds.  Unless you can somehow get the money back from the seller, which I doubt since it was a cash transaction.

One rule of life that particularly applies to computer parts, and prices thereof: If it seems to good to be true, it probably is.

ModRigs: https://www.modsrigs.com/detail.aspx?BuildID=42891  
    Specs:
    5950x @ 4.7GHz 1.3V - Asus Crosshair VIII Hero - eVGA 1200W P2 - 4x8GB G.Skill Trident Z Royal Silver @ 3800 CL14
    Gigabyte RTX 4090 Gaming OC w/ Core: 2850MHz @ 1000mV, Mem: +1500MHz - Samsung Odyssey G9 49" Super-Ultrawide 240Hz Monitor

adityajaypal
    Re: Denied RMA for second-hand purchase of RTX 2080ti Black Edition Gaming 2020/10/25 11:13:24 (permalink)
    CraptacularOne
    LittleGuy
    CraptacularOne
    LittleGuy

He bought the card knowing full well it didn’t work. You should never buy a card that is known to not be working with the intent of RMAing it. If a seller ever claims they “don’t have time” or “don’t want the hassle” that should immediately set off red flags. There is a reason they don’t want to RMA it and that reason as unfortunately discovered by the OP is that it was denied RMA for damage. 

A simple way to avoid falling for the same tactic is to never buy non working parts with the intent of RMA. 

Yeah, I mentioned this before as well, but I was initially suspicious before I let my tech-lust get the better of me....quite sad really
    Page: 12 > Showing page 1 of 2
    Jump to:
  • Back to Mobile