EVGA

Denied RMA for second-hand purchase of RTX 2080ti Black Edition Gaming

Page: < 12 Showing page 2 of 2
Author
adityajaypal
  • Total Posts : 14
  • Reward points : 0
  • Ribbons : 0
Re: Denied RMA for second-hand purchase of RTX 2080ti Black Edition Gaming 2020/10/25 11:14:26 (permalink)
kougar
Really sorry to hear about your card OP. At this point you might as well take it apart and see what the damage is, always the chance it could be some simple surface components that got broken off. Feel free to post some detailed shots of the PCB here if you do.

Always keep in mind... it takes more time and effort to sell a piece of hardware online than it does to simply put it in a box and RMA it directly. So it's a safe bet the vast majority of people that claim they're too lazy to RMA it themselves yet are trying to sell it are already lying. 

Hey guys, I've opened it up and documented some pictures of the PCB: https://imgur.com/a/DyYEAEv

I don't immediately see any damage, so any input would be appreciated here! And yeah, at this point I'm willing to try anything to get this hunk working....if not, I'll probably sell it for parts as a helpful user suggested here

post edited by adityajaypal - 2020/10/25 11:18:06
Dabadger84
CLASSIFIED Member
  • Total Posts : 3426
  • Ribbons : 10
Re: Denied RMA for second-hand purchase of RTX 2080ti Black Edition Gaming 2020/10/25 11:49:51 (permalink)
Can you get us a "from the side" view that shows this "bent PCB" they speak of?  It looks relatively fine... not that I'm saying eVGA isn't right, obviously they know better than the majority of people here when it comes to if the PCB was broken by the original owner or not... but yeah. 

ModRigs: https://www.modsrigs.com/detail.aspx?BuildID=42891  
Specs:
5950x @ 4.7GHz 1.3V - Asus Crosshair VIII Hero - eVGA 1200W P2 - 4x8GB G.Skill Trident Z Royal Silver @ 3800 CL14
Gigabyte RTX 4090 Gaming OC w/ Core: 2850MHz @ 1000mV, Mem: +1500MHz - Samsung Odyssey G9 49" Super-Ultrawide 240Hz Monitor

adityajaypal
Re: Denied RMA for second-hand purchase of RTX 2080ti Black Edition Gaming 2020/10/25 11:54:20 (permalink)
Dabadger84
Can you get us a "from the side" view that shows this "bent PCB" they speak of?  It looks relatively fine... not that I'm saying eVGA isn't right, obviously they know better than the majority of people here when it comes to if the PCB was broken by the original owner or not... but yeah. 

This is the best I could do, while trying to avoid the fisheye effect from my phone camera: https://imgur.com/a/2pDGG9l. There is a very slight bend, but that's the most I can say based on my limited expertise...
CraptacularOne
Omnipotent Enthusiast
  • Total Posts : 14533
  • Ribbons : 222
Re: Denied RMA for second-hand purchase of RTX 2080ti Black Edition Gaming 2020/10/25 13:29:49 (permalink)
adityajaypal
Dabadger84

This is the best I could do, while trying to avoid the fisheye effect from my phone camera: https://imgur.com/a/2pDGG9l. There is a very slight bend, but that's the most I can say based on my limited expertise...

In the top picture you can see the bow in the PCB starting at the NV Link connector to the IO plate. The previous owner probably tried to straighten it out but you can still see evidence of it there. It doesn't look like a lot but it also doesn't take much to damage the fragile and sometimes hair thin traces in the PCB. Unfortunately some of the internal copper traces have probably been severed. Baking the card will not fix that. The baking trick is only to reflow solder that may have cracked or loosened it won't do anything for copper. 

Intel i9 14900K ...............................Ryzen 9 7950X3D
MSI RTX 4090 Gaming Trio................ASRock Phantom RX 7900 XTX
Samsung Odyssey G9.......................PiMax 5K Super/Meta Quest 3
ASUS ROG Strix Z690-F Gaming........ASUS TUF Gaming X670E Plus WiFi
64GB G.Skill Trident Z5 6800Mhz.......64GB Kingston Fury RGB 6000Mhz
MSI MPG A1000G 1000w..................EVGA G3 SuperNova 1000w
adityajaypal
Re: Denied RMA for second-hand purchase of RTX 2080ti Black Edition Gaming 2020/10/25 13:31:47 (permalink)
CraptacularOne
adityajaypal
Dabadger84

In the top picture you can see the bow in the PCB starting at the NV Link connector to the IO plate. The previous owner probably tried to straighten it out but you can still see evidence of it there. It doesn't look like a lot but it also doesn't take much to damage the fragile and sometimes hair thin traces in the PCB. Unfortunately some of the internal copper traces have probably been severed. Baking the card will not fix that. The baking trick is only to reflow solder that may have cracked or loosened it won't do anything for copper. 

Well, this just gets better and better, doesn't it XD
kougar
CLASSIFIED Member
  • Total Posts : 3034
  • Ribbons : 22
Re: Denied RMA for second-hand purchase of RTX 2080ti Black Edition Gaming 2020/10/25 19:47:51 (permalink)
That TIM looks suspiciously like someone else already popped the cooler off and re-applied their own, so I guess other people had the idea of inspecting it already. I don't see any damage, as others said it could be a copper trace in the PCB or it could be a BGA solder point under the core package. 

If you don't want to keep the card for anything and don't plan to sell it for parts you can attempt to bake it... but even if that went perfectly I hear cards don't last long before the solder fails again. So either you could sell the card as a clearly not-working / parts-only card or bake it and see if you can get it working again (but please don't do both, baking at a temp high enough to melt solder will damage some the surface components)

Have water, will cool. 
Page: < 12 Showing page 2 of 2
Jump to:
  • Back to Mobile