Dead Space's first PC update will allow gamers to turn VRS off

Author
rjohnson11
EVGA Forum Moderator
  • Total Posts : 102313
  • Reward points : 0
  • Ribbons : 84
2023/01/30 11:58:57 (permalink)
https://www.overclock3d.net/news/software/dead_space_s_first_pc_update_will_allow_gamers_to_turn_vrs_off/1

PC Gamers Rejoice - Dead Space's next PC patch aims to add a VRS toggle
EA has confirmed that a patch is in the works for Dead Space's recently released remake that aims to address some of the early issues that gamers have encountered. Additionally, this update aims to give PC gamers the option to disable VRS (Variable Rate Shading), a performance-increasing graphics options that is not playing nicely when used with upscaling solutions like DLSS. 

VRS, Variable Rate Shading is designed to increase system performance by allowing some areas of games to be shaded at a lower rate. For example, if an area is covered with motion blur, why shade that area with full detail levels before that blur is applied? VRS is marketed as a performance increasing feature on compatible hardware, but unfortunately the feature has often be used to aggressively, resulting in noticeable losses in graphical fidelity. If used well, VRS can deliver moderate performance increases with minimal losses in graphical fidelity, but if used aggressively, it can make many areas of games become a blocky mess. With VRS enabled alongside upscaling solutions like Nvidia's DLSS or AMD's FSR 2.0, the artefacts caused by Variable Rate Shading can increase in size and become a lot more visible. In Dead Space, VRS with DLSS can result in huge areas of the screen looking blocking, especially in darker areas of the game. This has resulted widespread complaints from PC gamers, because Dead Space is a dark game, and VRS is not an optional feature. Adding a VRS toggle will prevent this graphical issue, assuming that it defaults to off when upscaling solutions are used.     

If implemented well, VRS has the potential to give gamers a "free" performance uplift by lowering the shading rate of unimportant areas of the screen. The problem is that this feature is rarely implemented in a satisfactory way, making it a feature that PC gamers rarely want to use. Let's hope that Dead Space's VRS toggle update launches soon, and developers can find a way to make VRS play more nicely with upscaling solutions in the future.

It is quite impressive how fast a patch is already being developed. 

AMD Ryzen 9 7950X,  Corsair Mp700 Pro M.2, 64GB Corsair Dominator Titanium DDR5  X670E Steel Legend, MSI RTX 4090 Associate Code: H5U80QBH6BH0AXF. I am NOT an employee of EVGA

2 Replies Related Threads

BizSAR
    EGC Lead Admin / EVGA Forum Moderator
    • Total Posts : 1712
    • Ribbons : 0
    Re: Dead Space's first PC update will allow gamers to turn VRS off 2023/01/30 12:22:41 (permalink)
    Ouch. I think I'll wait to pull the trigger on it until that patch comes out.
    Thanks for the heads-up!

BizSAR
    EVGA 3090Ti FTW3 Ultra / ZOTAC 4070Ti Trinity OC - ASUS ROG PG279QM
    Hoggle
    EVGA Forum Moderator
    • Total Posts : 10103
    • Ribbons : 4
    Re: Dead Space's first PC update will allow gamers to turn VRS off 2023/01/30 13:02:34 (permalink)
    BizSAR
    Ouch. I think I'll wait to pull the trigger on it until that patch comes out.
    Thanks for the heads-up!

I wouldn’t wait as long as it’s an announced fix in the first patch. Seems like a priority.

Use an Associates Code & SAVE 5% - 10% on your purchase. Just click on the associates banner to save, or enter the associates code at checkout on your next purchase. If you choose to use my code I want to personally say "Thank You" for using it. 

Jump to:
  • Back to Mobile