EVGA

DISPLAY PORT PROBLEMS

Author
JDamageinc
  • Total Posts : 31
  • Reward points : 0
  • Ribbons : 0
2021/06/17 16:55:07 (permalink)
Decided to run a 2nd monitor on my set up 3090 ftw3 ultra, noting but problems with Display Ports, have main monitor hooked up to port #1 and that cable seems to be the only one out of 4 to work, port #1 very touchy to loose signal if you breath on it, tried other cables on port 2 & 3 and get nothing, use working cable from port #1 and it works, but again very touchy to get signal. all these cable have been tested on 3-laptops  and 1 other pc to test cables and monitor, and all works well, just problems with this 3090 ports, anyone have input on problem or had same problem?
post edited by JDamageinc - 2021/06/17 18:04:46

25 Replies Related Threads

Sajin
    EVGA Forum Moderator
    • Total Posts : 49168
    • Ribbons : 199
    Re: DISPLAY PORT PROBLEMS 2021/06/17 18:31:13 (permalink)
    You using vesa certified cables?
    JDamageinc
    Re: DISPLAY PORT PROBLEMS 2021/06/18 03:46:37 (permalink)
    I’m gonna have to look and see, never paid attention when I purchased ,I did try 3 short cables that come with the monitors and they work, as well as the hdmi port. But thank you for that info , hopefully that is it.
    post edited by JDamageinc - 2021/06/18 04:22:25
    aka_STEVE_b
    EGC Admin
    • Total Posts : 17692
    • Ribbons : 69
    Re: DISPLAY PORT PROBLEMS 2021/06/18 04:55:21 (permalink)
    for some reason, displayport has always been problematic - despite being superior specs to HDMI .
      It has given me goofy issues over many years. ( even using verified cables)

I have no proof, but I think manufacturers / programmers have put forth very little effort into making sure it's specs have been properly finalized / coded into windows/drivers,,,etc....

AMD RYZEN 9 5900X  12-core cpu~ ASUS ROG Crosshair VIII Dark Hero ~ EVGA RTX 3080 Ti FTW3~ G.SKILL Trident Z NEO 32GB DDR4-3600 ~ Phanteks Eclipse P400s red case ~ EVGA SuperNOVA 1000 G+ PSU ~ Intel 660p M.2 drive~ Crucial MX300 275 GB SSD ~WD 2TB SSD ~CORSAIR H115i RGB Pro XT 280mm cooler ~ CORSAIR Dark Core RGB Pro mouse ~ CORSAIR K68 Mech keyboard ~ HGST 4TB Hd.~ AOC AGON 32" monitor 1440p @ 144Hz ~ Win 10 x64
    JDamageinc
    Re: DISPLAY PORT PROBLEMS 2021/06/18 07:25:38 (permalink)
    aka_STEVE_b
    for some reason, displayport has always been problematic - despite being superior specs to HDMI .
      It has given me goofy issues over many years. ( even using verified cables)

I have no proof, but I think manufacturers / programmers have put forth very little effort into making sure it's specs have been properly finalized / coded into windows/drivers,,,etc....

My 2 options are 1-try a certified cable, or 2-just run 2nd monitor off the hdmi port, shouldn’t be a big deal not gaming off the 2nd monitor anyway. Just a shame the money that we spend for such products, you think there would be better QC.
    JDamageinc
    Re: DISPLAY PORT PROBLEMS 2021/06/18 16:19:00 (permalink)
    Sajin
    You using vesa certified cables?

Just checked the cables, the ones that are not working are 4k and don't say anything about being certified, the one that is , is 8k and is a certified cable, so Im going to order another 8k cable and hope that it is the problem, will report back with findings.
    808sting
    iCX Member
    • Total Posts : 462
    • Ribbons : 6
    Re: DISPLAY PORT PROBLEMS 2021/06/18 16:52:12 (permalink)
    Don't trust the "Certified" labeling.  I try to buy from reputable resellers with diverse reviews that have performance comments.  Or, be prepared to return the cables.  With HDMI 2.1 and DP 1.4, I've tried cheap and reputable brands with varying success.  Had good results with Cable Matters and Startech.  Mixed results with various Monoprice.  With >2M cables, it's more critical. 

i9 13900KS, Asus ROG Hero Z690 MB, 32GB G.Skill DDR5-6400
    Gigabyte 4090 Gaming OC
    External open-loop w/Velocity2 WB
    Corsair 900D Case
    Firecuda SSD 1TB & 2TB, EVO 970P 1TB, Black 8TB
    Asus & LG BD-RE
    Corsair AX1600i PS
    LG 38GL950B-G
    JDamageinc
    Re: DISPLAY PORT PROBLEMS 2021/06/18 17:11:47 (permalink)
    808sting
    Don't trust the "Certified" labeling.  I try to buy from reputable resellers with diverse reviews that have performance comments.  Or, be prepared to return the cables.  With HDMI 2.1 and DP 1.4, I've tried cheap and reputable brands with varying success.  Had good results with Cable Matters and Startech.  Mixed results with various Monoprice.  With >2M cables, it's more critical. 

Cable maters 8k cable is the one working for me , out of all the cables I viewed there the only ones that mention RTX and AMD compatible, gonna stick with them and get another.
    post edited by JDamageinc - 2021/06/19 09:39:27
    JDamageinc
    Re: DISPLAY PORT PROBLEMS 2021/06/24 14:41:29 (permalink)
    Update, new cables, vesa certified 8k , all cables work from laptop to both my monitors, each cable works display port to monitor, but GPU will not recognize both monitors at same time using display port, but it will recognize if I use 1 display port and the HDMI port, and you can not even bump the 1 cable in the display port you will loose connection. BIOS is up to date on all ends, as well as settings, here we go with an RMA on this expensive piece of crap, need to order thermal pads so I can remove water block and replace factory cooler and fans to send it back. 

unicosm
    Superclocked Member
    • Total Posts : 101
    Re: DISPLAY PORT PROBLEMS 2021/06/24 15:12:57 (permalink)
    JDamageinc
    Update, new cables, vesa certified 8k , all cables work from laptop to both my monitors, each cable works display port to monitor, but GPU will not recognize both monitors at same time using display port, but it will recognize if I use 1 display port and the HDMI port, and you can not even bump the 1 cable in the display port you will loose connection. BIOS is up to date on all ends, as well as settings, here we go with an RMA on this expensive piece of crap, need to order thermal pads so I can remove water block and replace factory cooler and fans to send it back. 

I was going to say cables, but you seem to have eliminated those as problem. I can't think of what else to substitute. Maybe you tried everything?
    Good luck.
    JDamageinc
    Re: DISPLAY PORT PROBLEMS 2021/06/24 15:55:03 (permalink)
    unicosm
    JDamageinc

I was going to say cables, but you seem to have eliminated those as problem. I can't think of what else to substitute. Maybe you tried everything?
    Good luck.

Yea this is getting old now, and really regret purchasing this card, this should not be at the price of this card, this is a connection port they been using for a while like hdmi ports, and should not be a problem point, like unplugging any given wire from pc and that movement/vibration causes the display port to loose signal, there is no way these ports should be that temperamental, AMD is really starting to look real good right now.

post edited by JDamageinc - 2021/06/24 18:28:52
    JDamageinc
    Re: DISPLAY PORT PROBLEMS 2021/06/26 07:38:06 (permalink)
    Update : as of 6/25/21 card started taking a **** while gaming, screen flashing green and ghosting out picture white, don’t know if it’s drivers or card as of yet, but this is becoming one of the most expensive pieces of junk I ever purchased. RMA is needed, good thing I took the extended warranty, I’m gonna need it.
    deaths hand
    • Total Posts : 19
    Re: DISPLAY PORT PROBLEMS 2021/06/26 13:06:20 (permalink)
    Not running a 3090 but a 3070ti and having similar issues gpu wont run two monitors stable either crashes the system or reverts to a single monitor . Can't get consistent audio and video sync even on youtube or twitch on a single monitor using HDMI or DP my 1070 is starting to look real good to me now . System puts me into scan & repair loop for COD which played perfectly before I swapped the GPU . Been holding out for a 3080 HC since my 1070 was on a custom loop but this one came up in the queue first so I jumped on it as a temp. use upgrade regretting that ATM and questioning the 3080 HC now especially since the queue reopened to zero supply and a holiday coming .
    JDamageinc
    Re: DISPLAY PORT PROBLEMS 2021/06/26 13:53:30 (permalink)
    deaths hand
    Not running a 3090 but a 3070ti and having similar issues gpu wont run two monitors stable either crashes the system or reverts to a single monitor . Can't get consistent audio and video sync even on youtube or twitch on a single monitor using HDMI or DP my 1070 is starting to look real good to me now . System puts me into scan & repair loop for COD which played perfectly before I swapped the GPU . Been holding out for a 3080 HC since my 1070 was on a custom loop but this one came up in the queue first so I jumped on it as a temp. use upgrade regretting that ATM and questioning the 3080 HC now especially since the queue reopened to zero supply and a holiday coming .

Same situation, didn't want to purchase a 3090, but this popped up at my local micro center before my 3080 queue, so I jumped. the limited qty of product , I believe there pushing them out to fast because of backlash and there QC is going down hill , Im gonna try clean wipe on drivers and reinstall , hope I get somewhere with it. 

deaths hand
    Re: DISPLAY PORT PROBLEMS 2021/06/26 14:21:22 (permalink)
    JDamageinc
    deaths hand

Same situation, didn't want to purchase a 3090, but this popped up at my local micro center before my 3080 queue, so I jumped. the limited qty of product , I believe there pushing them out to fast because of backlash and there QC is going down hill , Im gonna try clean wipe on drivers and reinstall , hope I get somewhere with it. 

Yeah when that driver popped from Nvidia a few days ago it seem to have helped for a few hours then went to crap again . I think it may be a firmware and or Bios issue since as soon as I installed the card and loaded Precision X it said I needed to update and it seem to have took but restarted the system without any prompt so that's what pointing me in that direction. What if I had never loaded PX how would I have known to update the firmware out of the box and why should I have to on a brand new card ? Went as far as buying a new monitor and got the same results spent all last night putting my 1070 into a new loop build waiting on the memory to arrive next week to finalize that this has been a costly venture talk about buyers remorse lol . 
    Cool GTX
    EVGA Forum Moderator
    • Total Posts : 31001
    • Ribbons : 122
    Re: DISPLAY PORT PROBLEMS 2021/06/26 14:44:19 (permalink)

Learn your way around the EVGA Forums, Rules & limits on new accounts Ultimate Self-Starter Thread For New Members

I am a Volunteer Moderator - not an EVGA employee

https://foldingathome.org -->become a citizen scientist and contribute your compute power to help fight global health threats

RTX Project EVGA X99 FTWK Nibbler EVGA X99 Classified EVGA 3080Ti FTW3 Ultra

Stubbies
    • Total Posts : 48
    Re: DISPLAY PORT PROBLEMS 2021/06/26 16:33:10 (permalink)
    Just got my 3080 Ti today and still using my three monitors all connected via DP.  I haven't had a chance to game with it yet but someone mentioned a desync on video to audio on youtube.  I did test that and mine is working just fine.

Since my post I've played GTA Online, Cyberpunk 2077, Plants Vs Zombies and good old Master of Orion 1 so far on the card.  I maxed out quality settings on both GTA and Cyberpunk 2077 and am not noticing any issues at all.  No desyncs.  Still displays the boot up screen just fine.
    post edited by Stubbies - 2021/06/28 16:40:27
    JDamageinc
    Re: DISPLAY PORT PROBLEMS 2021/06/26 19:03:55 (permalink)
    deaths hand
    JDamageinc
    deaths hand

Yeah when that driver popped from Nvidia a few days ago it seem to have helped for a few hours then went to crap again . I think it may be a firmware and or Bios issue since as soon as I installed the card and loaded Precision X it said I needed to update and it seem to have took but restarted the system without any prompt so that's what pointing me in that direction. What if I had never loaded PX how would I have known to update the firmware out of the box and why should I have to on a brand new card ? Went as far as buying a new monitor and got the same results spent all last night putting my 1070 into a new loop build waiting on the memory to arrive next week to finalize that this has been a costly venture talk about buyers remorse lol . 

Did the DDU clean reboot  downloaded driver 471.11 acted up again, so I did DDU again got rid of newest driver 471.11, went back and installed driver 461.92, all is good as for gaming, but still problems with display port and cables, as for now 1 is better than none, little tough for me being my MOBO does not have IGPU
    post edited by JDamageinc - 2021/06/26 19:14:03
    deaths hand
    Re: DISPLAY PORT PROBLEMS 2021/06/26 22:44:22 (permalink)
    JDamageinc
    deaths hand
    JDamageinc
    deaths hand

Did the DDU clean reboot  downloaded driver 471.11 acted up again, so I did DDU again got rid of newest driver 471.11, went back and installed driver 461.92, all is good as for gaming, but still problems with display port and cables, as for now 1 is better than none, little tough for me being my MOBO does not have IGPU

Well I managed to get the card stable for one monitor usage by forcing gen3 pcie in the MB bios but as soon as I add another monitor or display the second monitor gets dark but I can see an image barely or it tells me output not supported but it shows the image while that box bounces around the screen . At this point I'll just run my other 2 monitors off of the streaming PC and use the new monitor as the game unit . Holding out hope for the HC card within the next 30 days lol .

JDamageinc
    Re: DISPLAY PORT PROBLEMS 2021/07/02 09:58:41 (permalink)
    deaths hand
    JDamageinc
    deaths hand
    JDamageinc
    deaths hand

Well I managed to get the card stable for one monitor usage by forcing gen3 pcie in the MB bios but as soon as I add another monitor or display the second monitor gets dark but I can see an image barely or it tells me output not supported but it shows the image while that box bounces around the screen . At this point I'll just run my other 2 monitors off of the streaming PC and use the new monitor as the game unit . Holding out hope for the HC card within the next 30 days lol .

At some point I am gonna be sending this card in for repair, this should not be.

deaths hand
    Re: DISPLAY PORT PROBLEMS 2021/07/02 11:05:58 (permalink)
    JDamageinc
    deaths hand
    JDamageinc
    deaths hand
    JDamageinc
    deaths hand

At some point I am gonna be sending this card in for repair, this should not be.

Well the card has performed fine on my brand new monitor but not willing to update two more monitors at this point and my stream rig is done just waiting for the memory to show up today then setup all the software . Just a shame my setup would cost me another $700 minimum in just monitors to run it as I'd prefer I'll live with it for now good thing I didn't sell my 1070 . Still in that non moving Hydro Copper & Hybrid queue though for the 3080. Dream would be the HC but I think they opened that queue just to see how many to build vs building them first only question now is how long do they take to manufacture if what I suspect is correct . I feel you on the one monitor though going backwards is killing me .
    tombeaulieu
    • Total Posts : 14
    Re: DISPLAY PORT PROBLEMS 2021/07/02 12:04:15 (permalink)
    have 3080ti Ftw3 similar issues,  will not display a signal through DSP or HDMI for Bios, will post to windows but everytime i try to go into bios will not work\give signal.  I've seen this now on three different boards x570 Strix 570 Aorus and X570 Tuff  I think it's a bios issue with the resizeable bar.  I had similar issue when 3080ftw came out back in Sept...  probably have to wait for updated Bios from the Board Makers or bios update from EVGA but I'm pretty certain it's a board bios issue.   If you have a MSI board best of luck MSI sucks at getting bios updates and well in general pretty much MSI sucks at everything these days.
    JDamageinc
    Re: DISPLAY PORT PROBLEMS 2021/07/03 12:37:13 (permalink)
    deaths hand
    JDamageinc
    deaths hand
    JDamageinc
    deaths hand
    JDamageinc
    deaths hand

Well the card has performed fine on my brand new monitor but not willing to update two more monitors at this point and my stream rig is done just waiting for the memory to show up today then setup all the software . Just a shame my setup would cost me another $700 minimum in just monitors to run it as I'd prefer I'll live with it for now good thing I didn't sell my 1070 . Still in that non moving Hydro Copper & Hybrid queue though for the 3080. Dream would be the HC but I think they opened that queue just to see how many to build vs building them first only question now is how long do they take to manufacture if what I suspect is correct . I feel you on the one monitor though going backwards is killing me .

QC is going out the window with the rush to get these cards out because of there self inflicted shortage. Now the questions is, when it comes to warranty/repairs are they up to it, or do we also get so/so repairs or replacements.

JDamageinc
    Re: DISPLAY PORT PROBLEMS 2021/07/03 12:40:33 (permalink)
    tombeaulieu
    have 3080ti Ftw3 similar issues,  will not display a signal through DSP or HDMI for Bios, will post to windows but everytime i try to go into bios will not work\give signal.  I've seen this now on three different boards x570 Strix 570 Aorus and X570 Tuff  I think it's a bios issue with the resizeable bar.  I had similar issue when 3080ftw came out back in Sept...  probably have to wait for updated Bios from the Board Makers or bios update from EVGA but I'm pretty certain it's a board bios issue.   If you have a MSI board best of luck MSI sucks at getting bios updates and well in general pretty much MSI sucks at everything these days.

That does suck, and it just confirms what I said about QC, on the newest product to come out, and no MSI here using Asus.
    jaro_irl
    • Total Posts : 100
    Flagged as Spam (1)
    Re: DISPLAY PORT PROBLEMS 2021/07/14 06:04:34 (permalink)
    Maybe a faulty gpu?
    kram36
    The Destroyer
    • Total Posts : 21477
    • Ribbons : 72
    Re: DISPLAY PORT PROBLEMS 2021/07/14 06:06:54 (permalink)
    jaro_irl
    Maybe a faulty gpu?

Stop spamming the 30 series section with your post!
    Jump to:
  • Back to Mobile