Custom Cables for the Blue Bandit

Author
Tyver
Superclocked Member
  • Total Posts : 176
  • Reward points : 0
  • Ribbons : 1
2019/02/13 14:53:10 (permalink)
So I had a mishap when I placed the order for parts to make my custom cables. Said mishap being me not ordering terminals so I dont have enough to make cables. However, I have most of the parts and the sleeving arrived today. I was pleased to find the sleeves matched identically to my coolant. 

Here is my start point. The front is clean but the back is........well it is what it is. The cables are the ones that come with the power supply and are too long.

I will be starting off with the 8 pin PCIe cables running to the graphics card, 8 pin EPS cable running to the mother board, and the 24 pin ATX connector that goes to the motherboard. If Im feeling up to it, also Sata power cables. Once those are done I will possibely attempt cleaning up my fan connectors but that will come much later, I dont have the tools for that. Once everything is here, I will include a parts list.
post edited by Tyver - 2019/02/13 15:02:01

Attached Image(s)

Just a novice following the dream to be a master

12 Replies Related Threads

bucyrus5000
    CLASSIFIED Member
    • Total Posts : 3153
    • Ribbons : 8
    Re: Custom Cables for the Blue Bandit 2019/02/13 15:03:38 (permalink)
    Beautiful! The thermals should be nice, well thought out layout. Hopefully the delay isn't too long to get the terminals. It's a labor of love. I just wanted you to know people appreciate it.

Rant about what Grinds Your Gears HERE

Need help finding places to shop for computer goods? Find stores HERE and review them.
    Tyver
    Superclocked Member
    Re: Custom Cables for the Blue Bandit 2019/02/15 12:14:32 (permalink)
    bucyrus5000
    Beautiful! The thermals should be nice, well thought out layout. Hopefully the delay isn't too long to get the terminals. It's a labor of love. I just wanted you to know people appreciate it.

I haven't seen above 64C when I was fully over clocked so that's nice. If everything is at stock it runs around 45-50 under full load.

Terminals should be here tomorrow so I hope to have some cables made tomorrow.

Thanks, I find the OC aspect interesting but honestly, after dealing with software all day, I like to come home and work with my hands. Hence why I focus on looks more than OCing more often than not. 

rjohnson11
    EVGA Forum Moderator
    • Total Posts : 102262
    • Ribbons : 84
    Re: Custom Cables for the Blue Bandit 2019/02/16 04:35:17 (permalink)
    Very nice.

AMD Ryzen 9 7950X,  Corsair Mp700 Pro M.2, 64GB Corsair Dominator Titanium DDR5  X670E Steel Legend, MSI RTX 4090 Associate Code: H5U80QBH6BH0AXF. I am NOT an employee of EVGA

Tyver
    Superclocked Member
    Re: Custom Cables for the Blue Bandit 2019/02/17 08:26:41 (permalink)
    Parts arrived here is the parts list at my disposable. Items with beside them are original design intent items

Sleeving
    1. Natural-White MDPC-X XTC Small x
    2. Platinum-Grey MDPC-X XTC Small x
    3. Riviera-Blue MDPC-X Small Sleeve  x
    4. Blackest-Black MDPC-X Small 
    5. Blue-Carbon MDPC-X Small Sleeve 
     Beyond Custom Cable Combs
    1. 8 pin x
    2. 24 pin x
    Wire
    1. 16 gauge 2.0mm OD
    2. 16 gauge 2.4mm OD x
    Heat shrink
    1. Black 4:1
    Connectors
    1. Black x

So the terminals came in yesterday and I attempted a new method of making cables. I was going to do it without heat shrink but I struggled to get the sleeving in the connector to keep it in place. After fooling around with it a couple hours I only managed to get 2 wires done. Today I will either use smaller OD wire or revert back to using heat shrink. Its not a s pretty but the amount of time the other way was taking was too long, at least the way I was doing it. 

post edited by Tyver - 2019/02/17 12:44:52

Cool GTX
    EVGA Forum Moderator
    • Total Posts : 30975
    • Ribbons : 122
    Re: Custom Cables for the Blue Bandit 2019/02/17 09:14:08 (permalink)
    Making your own sleeved cable is a labor of .... tenacity & resolution

Looking forward to more posts, pictures & words of wisdom for others that want to go this custom route

Learn your way around the EVGA Forums, Rules & limits on new accounts Ultimate Self-Starter Thread For New Members

I am a Volunteer Moderator - not an EVGA employee

https://foldingathome.org -->become a citizen scientist and contribute your compute power to help fight global health threats

RTX Project EVGA X99 FTWK Nibbler EVGA X99 Classified EVGA 3080Ti FTW3 Ultra

Baratak
    • Total Posts : 72
    Re: Custom Cables for the Blue Bandit 2019/02/17 10:10:53 (permalink)
    I just ordered a cable set from EVGA for my PSU. Orange and black, went well with my motif

Tyver
    Superclocked Member
    Re: Custom Cables for the Blue Bandit 2019/02/17 12:43:56 (permalink)
    Cool GTX
    Making your own sleeved cable is a labor of .... tenacity & resolution

Yeah, this is the third time I've made them for my PC. It doesn't seem to get easier. I make wire harnesses at work semi regularly and they are way easier. Then again they have way better tools than a hobbiest could ever justify to purchase and said terminals/connectors work so much better.

Baratak
    I just ordered a cable set from EVGA for my PSU. Orange and black, went well with my motif

I know I could do that but I would rather just make them myself. It kinda costs more since you have to buy tools and takes more time. The looks of my computer are my hobby project and I enjoy knowing I did every bit of it with my own hands. PLus if I ever NEED to know for some reason, I have the skill.

post edited by Tyver - 2019/02/17 12:47:34

Tyver
    Superclocked Member
    Re: Custom Cables for the Blue Bandit 2019/02/21 12:52:04 (permalink)
    I tried my old way and it bothered my to have black heat shrink on blue cables. Found some heat shrink that looks like it matches the blue cables. I'm going to order it when I get back from field work. Itll be a couple weeks but I'll get to it eventually.

notfordman
    Omnipotent Enthusiast
    • Total Posts : 10345
    • Ribbons : 28
    Re: Custom Cables for the Blue Bandit 2019/02/22 11:13:25 (permalink)
    Can't wait for the finished product. Custom cables are almost always really a great look. I really like the Carbon Blue sleeve.
    Enjoy your project!  I was trying to find the thread, I think it was delirious. He was showing a sleeving technique, and he was using a lighter to melt the end of sleeve on the terminal to eliminate the heat shrink. It held the sleeving in place on the end, and you couldn't see the melt/burn. I'm sure you will have a good result going through this much work.
    Tyver
    Superclocked Member
    Re: Custom Cables for the Blue Bandit 2019/02/22 12:55:01 (permalink)
    notfordman
    Can't wait for the finished product. Custom cables are almost always really a great look. I really like the Carbon Blue sleeve.
    Enjoy your project!  I was trying to find the thread, I think it was delirious. He was showing a sleeving technique, and he was using a lighter to melt the end of sleeve on the terminal to eliminate the heat shrink. It held the sleeving in place on the end, and you couldn't see the melt/burn. I'm sure you will have a good result going through this much work.

I tried using a lighter and a heat gun to melt the ends but it kept curling up on me. Maybe there's a better way than I tried because mine wouldnt be able to be hid in the connector.

Tyver
    Superclocked Member
    Re: Custom Cables for the Blue Bandit 2019/03/03 06:26:08 (permalink)
    Returning home here soon, hopefully I dont get sent back out soon so I will have the time to make the cables. Will update when finished or as more frustrations come along.

rjohnson11
    EVGA Forum Moderator
    • Total Posts : 102262
    • Ribbons : 84
    Re: Custom Cables for the Blue Bandit 2019/03/03 08:45:55 (permalink)
    Tyver
    Returning home here soon, hopefully I dont get sent back out soon so I will have the time to make the cables. Will update when finished or as more frustrations come along.

OK thanks for the updates

AMD Ryzen 9 7950X,  Corsair Mp700 Pro M.2, 64GB Corsair Dominator Titanium DDR5  X670E Steel Legend, MSI RTX 4090 Associate Code: H5U80QBH6BH0AXF. I am NOT an employee of EVGA

Jump to:
  • Back to Mobile