Cryptocurrency is a pyramid scheme scam

Author
Nec_V20
Superclocked Member
  • Total Posts : 139
  • Reward points : 0
  • Ribbons : 6
2017/07/12 22:01:13 (permalink)
If you spend a lot of money on buying GPUs and a high wattage PSU to think you will get some kind of return on your money then forget it.

It is a scam. The only people making money out of this are the ones who actually control the currency itself - and that is not you. You are the serf getting scraps off the table and those scraps will never make up for the investment in hardware you have to make to partake in this "Free Money" scam.

PSU: Seasonic Prime Titanium 650 Watt, Case: Phanteks EVOLV X, Mobo: GigaByte X570 AURUS Master, CPU: Ryzen 9 5950X, GPU: Powecolor Red Devil 6900XT, RAM: 32GB (2 x 16GB) Team Group CL16, Cooler: Arctic Liquid Freezer II 360, Boot-drive: Team Group 1TB M.2, Fans: 7 x Phanteks T30 120mm, HD: 5*WD 14TB, 2*WD Blue 2TB M.2 SSD (Games), Keyboard: DasKeyboard 4 MX-Blue, Mouse: Logitech G903, Monitor: ASUS PB287Q (2160p 60 Hz); LG 32GK850F-B (1440p 144 Hz)

25 Replies Related Threads

Ranmacanada
    SSC Member
    • Total Posts : 992
    • Ribbons : 3
    Re: Cryptocurrency is a pyramid scheme scam 2017/07/12 22:30:58 (permalink)
    You're talking to the wrong people :)  Most of us in here already know the risks, and if we weren't "mining" we'd be putting our rigs towards other projects like BOINC or Folding, which most of us already do.  We've been at it a lot longer than you've been a member, and know a lot more than yourself.  Everything has it's risks, and not everything has it's rewards.  EVGA was the #1 in compute power before mining came along, and will be the #1 team in computer power once mining dies.  BOINC and other computer projects usually get you nothing in return but scientific data and imaginary internet points and badges.  We just play on these things.  You're talking to the wrong people.

People in this forum will spend thousands of dollars just to increase their BOINC results and get faster compute times.  EVGA members are a different kind of breed.  We have this forum here to answer questions for users who want to stray from the path and try new things, so please don't come here and poison it with your negativity.  A few of our advanced users have bought whole rigs with their "fake profits"  of this "fake money" scam.  So please, don't speak of things you know nothing about.  It's possible you got burned by not doing research and now you're just trying to spread FUD for everyone else.  Don't be a Negative Nelly, please.  

You're new and don't know the community, I suggest you read some more threads before you make another comment, please.  You'll realize that everyone here is a different breed.

ASUS TUF GAMING X570-PLUS (WI-FI)
    AMD Ryzen 2700
    Fold for the CURE!
    EVGA 1080 FTW
    EVGA 1080Ti Hybrid

Chris21010
    FTW Member
    • Total Posts : 1587
    • Ribbons : 9
    Re: Cryptocurrency is a pyramid scheme scam 2017/07/12 22:39:53 (permalink)
    people who under/over estimate the market and/or expect to see daily/weekly/monthly growth are simply incompetent. if you do not have the skills to play the markets and/or spend your money effectively on good profitable hardware then you are basically playing a lottery. you may make some money but the vast majority of the suckers out there hoping for a quick paycheck are typically the one who end up paying others their paychecks instead.

as for "free money," nothing in this world is free and everything is only as valuable as what others are willing to pay for it.

Nec_V20
    Superclocked Member
    Re: Cryptocurrency is a pyramid scheme scam 2017/07/12 23:22:33 (permalink)
    Ranmacanada
    You're talking to the wrong people :)  Most of us in here already know the risks, and if we weren't "mining" we'd be putting our rigs towards other projects like BOINC or Folding, which most of us already do.  We've been at it a lot longer than you've been a member, and know a lot more than yourself.  Everything has it's risks, and not everything has it's rewards.  EVGA was the #1 in compute power before mining came along, and will be the #1 team in computer power once mining dies.  BOINC and other computer projects usually get you nothing in return but scientific data and imaginary internet points and badges.  We just play on these things.  You're talking to the wrong people.

People in this forum will spend thousands of dollars just to increase their BOINC results and get faster compute times.  EVGA members are a different kind of breed.  We have this forum here to answer questions for users who want to stray from the path and try new things, so please don't come here and poison it with your negativity.  A few of our advanced users have bought whole rigs with their "fake profits"  of this "fake money" scam.  So please, don't speak of things you know nothing about.  It's possible you got burned by not doing research and now you're just trying to spread FUD for everyone else.  Don't be a Negative Nelly, please.  

You're new and don't know the community, I suggest you read some more threads before you make another comment, please.  You'll realize that everyone here is a different breed.

Sonny boy, I have been a computer techie for over 34 years.

My nic "Nec_V20" should have given you a wee bit of a hint. That was the first hardware upgrade I did for myself (mod if you like) from a 4.77 MHz Intel 8088 to the 8 MHz NEC V20 CPU. I had to unsauter the quartz oscillator on the board and replace it with a new one.

Back in the day that would have been expensive if I had screwed it up.

I have been a member of the Seti@Home project since the 1990's (and that was around before BOINC). So please, do educate me.

You might want to think about that before trying to talk down to someone just based on the amount of posts they have on a forum.

And BTW this is not the first time in recent memory where people have been suckered into a "get rich quick" scheme. The victims of the last bust are not all that far in the past.
    post edited by Nec_V20 - 2017/07/12 23:45:50

PSU: Seasonic Prime Titanium 650 Watt, Case: Phanteks EVOLV X, Mobo: GigaByte X570 AURUS Master, CPU: Ryzen 9 5950X, GPU: Powecolor Red Devil 6900XT, RAM: 32GB (2 x 16GB) Team Group CL16, Cooler: Arctic Liquid Freezer II 360, Boot-drive: Team Group 1TB M.2, Fans: 7 x Phanteks T30 120mm, HD: 5*WD 14TB, 2*WD Blue 2TB M.2 SSD (Games), Keyboard: DasKeyboard 4 MX-Blue, Mouse: Logitech G903, Monitor: ASUS PB287Q (2160p 60 Hz); LG 32GK850F-B (1440p 144 Hz)
    bill1024
    Omnipotent Enthusiast
    • Total Posts : 11083
    • Ribbons : 65
    Re: Cryptocurrency is a pyramid scheme scam 2017/07/13 00:23:30 (permalink)
    Get off my lawn you kids

Life is too short to carry a cheap pocket knife

Nec_V20
    Superclocked Member
    Re: Cryptocurrency is a pyramid scheme scam 2017/07/13 01:12:34 (permalink)
    bill1024
    Get off my lawn you kids

rjohnson11
    EVGA Forum Moderator
    • Total Posts : 102262
    • Ribbons : 84
    Re: Cryptocurrency is a pyramid scheme scam 2017/07/13 01:19:30 (permalink)
    Any inherent cryptomining comes with risks, similar to the risks of stocks and bonds. 

AMD Ryzen 9 7950X,  Corsair Mp700 Pro M.2, 64GB Corsair Dominator Titanium DDR5  X670E Steel Legend, MSI RTX 4090 Associate Code: H5U80QBH6BH0AXF. I am NOT an employee of EVGA

Hoggle
    EVGA Forum Moderator
    • Total Posts : 10102
    • Ribbons : 4
    Re: Cryptocurrency is a pyramid scheme scam 2017/07/13 01:39:07 (permalink)
    rjohnson11
    Any inherent cryptomining comes with risks, similar to the risks of stocks and bonds. 

I would have to agree. Those people who invested in Microsoft back in the early 80's made out very well though if you put in a few hundred now in Microsoft it might gain some ground but probably not nearly as much as it did over 30 years. Everyone wants the big payday but in reality it doesn't pay out as big as they would hope.

That said I don't think mining could be labeled as a scam. It's just people are not going to get rich off of it and it's probably not worth buying a lot of video cards unless you plan to also game a little bit and enjoy them.

Use an Associates Code & SAVE 5% - 10% on your purchase. Just click on the associates banner to save, or enter the associates code at checkout on your next purchase. If you choose to use my code I want to personally say "Thank You" for using it. 

Nec_V20
    Superclocked Member
    Re: Cryptocurrency is a pyramid scheme scam 2017/07/13 02:32:17 (permalink)
    Hoggle
    rjohnson11

I would have to agree. Those people who invested in Microsoft back in the early 80's made out very well though if you put in a few hundred now in Microsoft it might gain some ground but probably not nearly as much as it did over 30 years. Everyone wants the big payday but in reality it doesn't pay out as big as they would hope.

That said I don't think mining could be labeled as a scam. It's just people are not going to get rich off of it and it's probably not worth buying a lot of video cards unless you plan to also game a little bit and enjoy them.

There's an old saying, "The only people who struck it rich during the gold rush were the ones selling shovels".

In this case however EVGA and other manufacturers selling GPUs or PSUs during this fool's errand/gold will end up LOSING money.

Chris21010
    FTW Member
    Re: Cryptocurrency is a pyramid scheme scam 2017/07/13 06:21:08 (permalink)
    Nec_V20

In this case however EVGA and other manufacturers selling GPUs or PSUs during this fool's errand/gold will end up LOSING money.

Yes, those who make profit off every item they sell will loose money... that is ridiculous. They can only profit from massive sells and at worst shift future profit to now, earning a little less than they would have otherwise bit still making profit non the less.

The only time they loose anything money is on returns or overestimating demand and sitting on a ton of stock when the next gen rolls around.

nikkocortez
    CLASSIFIED Member
    • Total Posts : 2884
    • Ribbons : 14
    Re: Cryptocurrency is a pyramid scheme scam 2017/07/13 09:20:56 (permalink)
    @OP Would you mind explaining your reasoning on how cryptocurrency fits into a pyramid scheme architecture?  I am genuinely curious to the specifics on which you based the reasoning of your post.  Are we talking cryptocurrency as a whole?  A specific currency?  Is there a broader set of evidence that supports collusion between cryptocurrency "controllers" and hardware manufacturers to support specific block chain tech in an effort gain market shares in hardware sales?  Are you talking about how much influence a majority holder of a specific currency can have to manipulate a market in their favor?  Is there evidence or sources for such a thing?  You sound very secure in your opinion of cryptocurrency so I am just curious on the information which your opinion is built on.

post edited by nikkocortez - 2017/07/13 09:22:02
    bcavnaugh
    The Crunchinator
    • Total Posts : 38977
    • Ribbons : 282
    Re: Cryptocurrency is a pyramid scheme scam 2017/07/13 09:26:55 (permalink)
    I think it really to get his Post Count to a 100 and that is why the OP is picking on the Topics in the Forum.
    Had he said he as been in Cryptocurrency for over 34 years then we might have even more of an issue. 

I Found a better Avatar for you than the Finger One. Nec_V20

post edited by bcavnaugh - 2017/07/13 09:42:03

Associate Code: 9E88QK5L7811G3H

Nec_V20
    Superclocked Member
    Re: Cryptocurrency is a pyramid scheme scam 2017/07/13 09:47:45 (permalink)
    Chris21010
    Nec_V20

Yes, those who make profit off every item they sell will loose money... that is ridiculous. They can only profit from massive sells and at worst shift future profit to now, earning a little less than they would have otherwise bit still making profit non the less.

The only time they loose anything money is on returns or overestimating demand and sitting on a ton of stock when the next gen rolls around.

When the bubble busts, the same thing will happen as the last time. there will be a flood of RMAs which manufacturers like EVGA will have to honour and then the brand new cards will be placed on EBAY and will further damage the sales of those cards by EVGA. So essentially for every card that EVGA sells it will potentially lose two cards in sales.

Also the bottom will fall out of the market where new cards (the RMAs) will be put on the market at a far lower price than would be profitable for a company like EVGA to sell.

Don't tell me this isn't true, because that is what happened the last time there was a crash. Luckily the boom didn't last all that long so the bust was not as damaging as it will be this time because the boom has lasted a lot longer and the hysteria is a lot worse.

Nec_V20
    Superclocked Member
    Re: Cryptocurrency is a pyramid scheme scam 2017/07/13 10:02:36 (permalink)
    bcavnaugh
    I think it really to get his Post Count to a 100 and that is why the OP is picking on the Topics in the Forum.
    Had he said he as been in Cryptocurrency for over 34 years then we might have even more of an issue. 

I Found a better Avatar for you than the Finger One. Nec_V20

Oh yeah, that brings back good memories, but I prefer mine.

If I were wanting to get my post count up to 100 that wouldn't be much of a task, being a touch typist (not much of choice seeing that I use a DasKeyboard Ultimate) and not reliant on the hunting and pecking method of typing.

Nec_V20
    Superclocked Member
    Re: Cryptocurrency is a pyramid scheme scam 2017/07/13 10:14:30 (permalink)
    nikkocortez
    @OP Would you mind explaining your reasoning on how cryptocurrency fits into a pyramid scheme architecture?  I am genuinely curious to the specifics on which you based the reasoning of your post.  Are we talking cryptocurrency as a whole?  A specific currency?  Is there a broader set of evidence that supports collusion between cryptocurrency "controllers" and hardware manufacturers to support specific block chain tech in an effort gain market shares in hardware sales?  Are you talking about how much influence a majority holder of a specific currency can have to manipulate a market in their favor?  Is there evidence or sources for such a thing?  You sound very secure in your opinion of cryptocurrency so I am just curious on the information which your opinion is built on.

nikkocortez

That's easy enough to explain. The originators of this scam are the ones who profit the most, as more and more people get involved their take gets bigger. They then sell off their assets and the bottom falls out of the market.

The computing may be distributed but those profiting is most certainly pyramidal in structure.

There is no conspiracy between the originators of the scam and the hardware manufacturers. It is just that the suckers who want to get in on this "opportunity" have to heavily invest in hardware.

People might as well keep on answering E-Mails from Nigerian princes

chrism101
    SSC Member
    • Total Posts : 549
    • Ribbons : 0
    Re: Cryptocurrency is a pyramid scheme scam 2017/07/13 10:27:39 (permalink)
    Nec_V20
    If you spend a lot of money on buying GPUs and a high wattage PSU to think you will get some kind of return on your money then forget it.

It is a scam. The only people making money out of this are the ones who actually control the currency itself - and that is not you. You are the serf getting scraps off the table and those scraps will never make up for the investment in hardware you have to make to partake in this "Free Money" scam.

I dont care if your first CPU was a punch card.
    I use my compute power for the greater good, i dont even care if theres a bonus of a few bucks here and there.
    I lost my daughter needlessly to a Disease that I hope to have a hand in curing.
    If I can score some Coins to put toward more hardware to do so, you can bet your lil CPU that Ill do so.
    Im 1057th in the world and 107 on Team EVGA. And if I had the $ to do so Id be number One.
    Nigerian Princes dont power the Cures of tomorrow, but Team EVGA does.

Go to your mailbox and send in your publishers clearing house entry, work 40 more years for a retirement of 40% of what you originally couldnt make a living on, but dont come in bashing mining, folding, or the Blockchain.
    Who knows, we may have already cured your future alzheimers in this scam as you call it.

post edited by chrism101 - 2017/07/13 10:32:40

Aorus X470|Ryzen 3700 | EVGA GTX1080Ti FTW3| EVO 960| 
    Water 3.0 360 RGB| Corsair 780T | 32GB Tident Z 3200 | EVGA G3 1000 

Chris21010
    FTW Member
    Re: Cryptocurrency is a pyramid scheme scam 2017/07/13 10:54:19 (permalink)
    Nec_V20
    When the bubble busts, the same thing will happen as the last time. there will be a flood of RMAs which manufacturers like EVGA will have to honour and then the brand new cards will be placed on EBAY and will further damage the sales of those cards by EVGA. So essentially for every card that EVGA sells it will potentially lose two cards in sales.

Also the bottom will fall out of the market where new cards (the RMAs) will be put on the market at a far lower price than would be profitable for a company like EVGA to sell.

Don't tell me this isn't true, because that is what happened the last time there was a crash. Luckily the boom didn't last all that long so the bust was not as damaging as it will be this time because the boom has lasted a lot longer and the hysteria is a lot worse.

Your assumptions are flawed in that you assume 100% of sales are going to miners. You are also falsely assuming that every RMA sent in will return a new card and not a refurbished one. Any company who simply ships out brand new cards to people who send good cards in as an RMA is just asking to get burned. You are also assuming that these companies did not learn a single thing from the last bust and did not implement new systems to avoid the same problem again.

All your many assumptions to reach your conclusion are simply extremely biased to try and validate your conclusion.

Ranmacanada
    SSC Member
    • Total Posts : 992
    Re: Cryptocurrency is a pyramid scheme scam 2017/07/13 10:55:15 (permalink)
    Nec_V20
    Ranmacanada

My nic "Nec_V20" should have given you a wee bit of a hint. That was the first hardware upgrade I did for myself (mod if you like) from a 4.77 MHz Intel 8088 to the 8 MHz NEC V20 CPU. I had to unsauter the quartz oscillator on the board and replace it with a new one.

I have been a member of the Seti@Home project since the 1990's (and that was around before BOINC). So please, do educate me.

You might want to think about that before trying to talk down to someone just based on the amount of posts they have on a forum.

And BTW this is not the first time in recent memory where people have been suckered into a "get rich quick" scheme. The victims of the last bust are not all that far in the past.

The fact that you are trying to personally attack me, and call me "sonny boy" makes you lose all credit.  At this point I am just going to ignore all the detritus that comes from your posts.  You're "age" is only superceded by your ignorance.  Quite a few of us, including myself have more experience than you.  Now please go away and stop spreading your lack of knowledge.  For most of us, this is a personal fight.  As I've said EVGA was the top in compute power, and once this mining thing goes away it will be again. 

I'd kindly tell you where to go, but this is a family friendly forum, so those words aren't allowed on here. This is battle that you've already lost.  So please do let the door hit you on the way out.  It might knock some manners into you.

ASUS TUF GAMING X570-PLUS (WI-FI)
    AMD Ryzen 2700
    Fold for the CURE!
    EVGA 1080 FTW
    EVGA 1080Ti Hybrid

Cool GTX
    EVGA Forum Moderator
    • Total Posts : 30983
    • Ribbons : 122
    Re: Cryptocurrency is a pyramid scheme scam 2017/07/13 11:16:38 (permalink)
    Please keep the conversation on topic, lets not get sidetracked

Everyone can have an opinion and different experience or background

Personal attacks are NOT Allowed and can get your Post either "edited" or "sent to the round file"

Just a friendly reminder to ALL members and Not just the post previous to this post

Learn your way around the EVGA Forums, Rules & limits on new accounts Ultimate Self-Starter Thread For New Members

I am a Volunteer Moderator - not an EVGA employee

https://foldingathome.org -->become a citizen scientist and contribute your compute power to help fight global health threats

RTX Project EVGA X99 FTWK Nibbler EVGA X99 Classified EVGA 3080Ti FTW3 Ultra

Nec_V20
    Superclocked Member
    Re: Cryptocurrency is a pyramid scheme scam 2017/07/13 11:18:42 (permalink)
    Ranmacanada
    Nec_V20
    Ranmacanada

The fact that you are trying to personally attack me, and call me "sonny boy" makes you lose all credit.  At this point I am just going to ignore all the detritus that comes from your posts.  You're "age" is only superceded by your ignorance.  Quite a few of us, including myself have more experience than you.  Now please go away and stop spreading your lack of knowledge.  For most of us, this is a personal fight.  As I've said EVGA was the top in compute power, and once this mining thing goes away it will be again. 

I'd kindly tell you where to go, but this is a family friendly forum, so those words aren't allowed on here. This is battle that you've already lost.  So please do let the door hit you on the way out.  It might knock some manners into you.

You set the tone with:
    "We've been at it a lot longer than you've been a member, and know a lot more than yourself."

There's a German saying, "The way you shout into the forest is the way it echoes back"

Once you have been doing BOINC for over 15 years is the day that you can accuse me of being a n00b. As I said, I got involved with Seti@Home in the Summer of 1999 long before it was consolidated under BOINC . I very well understand the feeling of doing good with my spare computing capacity and have appreciated the effort that others have made to make it possible for individuals such as myself to contribute to a greater good.

You might be doing it for the lulz but others get suckered into making heavy investments in hardware for no return with the promise of making a fast buck.

You could try, "Go forth and multiply" if you want to remain family friendly

post edited by Nec_V20 - 2017/07/13 11:20:39

MusterLuck
    • Total Posts : 16
    • Ribbons : 0
    Re: Cryptocurrency is a pyramid scheme scam 2017/07/13 13:28:55 (permalink)
    Nec_V20
    Ranmacanada

You've got my attention, what past experiences in this industry, or other "schemes", influenced this post?
    I am interested to hear your side.
    post edited by MusterLuck - 2017/07/13 13:30:14
    ipkha
    CLASSIFIED Member
    • Total Posts : 2308
    Re: Cryptocurrency is a pyramid scheme scam 2017/07/13 13:47:49 (permalink)
    It will certainly be I treating to see what happens in the future as all of the digital currencies need active computing power to validate wallet transfers. The big mining teams control a majority of hashing power for bitcoin at least and thus have a degree of control. Certainly as long as the coins have some value it's no more a pyramid scheme than the stock market in general. I predict the exchanges will have to take over the transaction accounting and leave the miners go minting new coins only. Otherwise once the value proposition ends the miners will stop and transaction fees will skyrocket again.

Opolis
    CLASSIFIED Member
    • Total Posts : 2778
    • Ribbons : 7
    Re: Cryptocurrency is a pyramid scheme scam 2017/07/13 14:35:51 (permalink)
    I knew this topic would get good quick.

Everyone has made good points.

I fail to understand why the OP is using the wording chosen in certain posts.
    Calling people serfs sucked into a free money scam is interesting to me because:
    -people fold and crunch with nothing expected in return other than contributing to a cause.
    -you can earn cryptocurrency worth real money by doing this
    -said crypto can be used to buy more hardware to produce even more for said cause
    -OP has extensive experience with BOINC and understands donating computing power for distributed computing projects

By this same logic:
    -would people who want evga bucks for folding be just serfs caught in EVGA's grand pozi scheme where they will never make a profit greater than what they have spent on hardware?

Or alternately:
    -since mining is a critical component that makes cryptocurrencies possible, could not making a profit on mining be viewed as the same "donating computing power toward something you are interested in" mentality as folding and crunching?

I have almost zero stake in crypto but I understand it and it's place.  It's highly volatile and creates new problems we have not thought of before but it seems it is not going away any time soon.  I am interested to see where things go.

somethingc00l
    EGC Admin
    • Total Posts : 752
    • Ribbons : 11
    Re: Cryptocurrency is a pyramid scheme scam 2017/07/13 17:45:02 (permalink)
    Knowledge in tech does not equal knowledge in economics.

Proof of stake is likely to take over anyway so a bunch of moot points in here.
    QuintLeo
    SSC Member
    • Total Posts : 946
    Re: Cryptocurrency is a pyramid scheme scam 2017/07/16 14:11:02 (permalink)
    Nec_V20

I have been making a LIVING entirely out of mining for about a year now - with enough left over to have more than DOUBLED my total farm size in that timeframe (I think it's closer to tripled, but my ASIC part of the farm complicates the calculation).

The majority of the gear I am currently mining with has LONG SINCE paid for itself, and after electric cost is PURE PROFIT at this point.

There IS money to be made via mining if you pay attention to what you are doing.

For reference - my first computer was based on the Z80 on the S100 bus, and I've worked professionally in the field for a lot of the time since then (I spent quite a few years as an electronic tech, but part of that was as a production tech for a major power supply maker).

I've also been a participant in the distributed.net project since DES days - I'll hit my 20 year milestone with them (I think, they did take stats from a couple of the VERY early projects offline as some point) early next year.

It's not always all about the money.

post edited by QuintLeo - 2017/07/16 14:12:06

Now that vorsholk has stopped his abuse, I'm returning to folding.
     I no longer MOO due to abuses by certain "whales" in the Gridcoin community - so I now work the Distributed.net project directly again.

bcavnaugh
    The Crunchinator
    • Total Posts : 38977
    • Ribbons : 282
    Re: Cryptocurrency is a pyramid scheme scam 2017/07/22 08:08:42 (permalink)
    So much for a Scam?

Asrock H110 Pro BTC+ 13GPU Mining Motherboard CryptoCurrency
    It even comes with Audio
    post edited by bcavnaugh - 2017/07/22 08:18:52

Associate Code: 9E88QK5L7811G3H

Jump to:
  • Back to Mobile