EVGA

Confused about 3.5mm jacks for 7.1

Author
GeJayGe
  • Total Posts : 9
  • Reward points : 0
  • Ribbons : 0
2020/01/16 18:31:42 (permalink)
Just bought a 7.1 primarily for headphones, but wanted the flexibility of 7.1.  A few questions about setting up a 7.1 system with this card.  Loving it with my cans, just trying to figure out the rest.

1. For the L/R RCA can I use an RCA to banana plug cable (KK Cable Q-P2 18 GAUGE OFC Speaker Wire Pair with RCA Male (White & Red) to 2 Pair Banana (4banana) Plugs, Q-P2 (1.5M(4.92ft))) to use regular JBL bookshelf speakers or would I need to get separately powered speakers?
  2. Can I use a 3.5mm to RCA splittler (3.5mm to RCA Splitter,Andul 3.5mm Stereo Male to Dual RCA Female Audio Adapter) or (Adecco LLC 3.5mm Gold 1/8 Stereo Mini Jack Male to 2 Female RCA Adapter Audio (Male to 2 Female)) then use one of the RCA to banana plugs to set up the side, rear, and center/sub?  I know the sub would need to be powered, but would the rest of the speakers also need to be separately powered?
  3. What speaker setups and connections are people using to set up 7.1 with this card and the mix of RCA/3.5 jacks it comes with?
Thanks in advance!

*edit* links to amazon removed.  Item names added in their place.

1 Reply Related Threads

EVGA_Lee
    • Total Posts : 4247
    • Reward points : 0
    • Ribbons : 14
    Re: Confused about 3.5mm jacks for 7.1 2020/01/17 11:20:03 (permalink)
    I posted our CES configuration over here (Post #68) - https://forums.evga.com/FindPost/3023268

Powered speakers are recommended, unless you have or plan to buy a dedicated pre-amp for them.  In our case the Edifier speakers came with basic 3.5mm to RCA cables and RCA to RCA cables, and the speakers were the type to run the PC cable into the powered speaker (the right speaker), and run speaker wire (included with the speakers) over to the non-powered speaker (left speaker).  For the center/sub, we used a 3.5mm splitter with a 3.5mm to RCA cable for both the powered speaker and Sub (I'm sure there's a better way, though). 

You'll be able to post the Amazon links once you hit 11 posts (forum anti-spam measure).
    Jump to:
  • Back to Mobile