Page: 123 > Showing page 1 of 3
Author
MSim
Omnipotent Enthusiast
  • Total Posts : 14685
  • Reward points : 0
  • Ribbons : 38
2017/03/01 13:42:56 (permalink)
Can we get some clarification on the requirements please.

http://forums.evga.com/Computer-Industry-News-Posting-Guidelines-READ-BEFORE-POSTING-m2618826.aspx

The purpose of this section is to inform and encourage discussion about news; not simply linking anything related to the computer industry.

How can members judge if another member (mods included) are linking anything related or not. It looks like some members are posting anything related they can find. 

We encourage users to post whatever computer industry news they find interesting. However, do not chain post articles from the same website

How many articles from the same website per day would fall under chain posting articles? Is it 3 articles or more?

I don't believe leaving it up to the moderators to decide is the right way to handle it. That allows them to play favorites, instead of treating everyone the same way.

Sajin
EVGA Forum Moderator
  • Total Posts : 49165
  • Ribbons : 199
Re: Computer Industry News requirements 2017/03/01 14:41:19 (permalink)
I'd say more than 3 from the same site would be considered chain linking.
knightsilver
Omnipotent Enthusiast
  • Total Posts : 9430
  • Ribbons : 14
Re: Computer Industry News requirements 2017/03/01 19:20:22 (permalink)
Just limit RJ's total linked links for daily and call it good!
MSim
Omnipotent Enthusiast
Re: Computer Industry News requirements 2017/03/01 20:05:20 (permalink)
Sajin
I'd say more than 3 from the same site would be considered chain linking.

Only answer i have received is "it's up to the moderators" which i find odd. Leaving it up to each mod to decide, it can open the door to members being treated differently.

The other requirement i posted is too board in my opinion, how can you tell if a member is just posting anything related to computer industry or if they really do feel it's interesting news.  

rjohnson11
EVGA Forum Moderator
  • Total Posts : 102262
  • Ribbons : 84
Re: Computer Industry News requirements 2017/03/02 04:41:12 (permalink)
EVGA management put the requirements into the news section and it is up to the mods to determine if those posts violate the new rules. For definition chain linking refers to a single news site and Sajin's comments above are what you need to use as a determining factor. Duplicates are the same story which has/have been previously posted. 

AMD Ryzen 9 7950X,  Corsair Mp700 Pro M.2, 64GB Corsair Dominator Titanium DDR5  X670E Steel Legend, MSI RTX 4090 Associate Code: H5U80QBH6BH0AXF. I am NOT an employee of EVGA

Clickalot
iCX Member
  • Total Posts : 320
  • Ribbons : 0
Re: Computer Industry News requirements 2017/03/02 06:12:10 (permalink)
I'd like to say not to let the small things bother you, but the counter to that is that some group will always have to. 
MSim
Omnipotent Enthusiast
Re: Computer Industry News requirements 2017/03/03 08:07:07 (permalink)
rjohnson11
EVGA management put the requirements into the news section and it is up to the mods to determine if those posts violate the new rules. For definition chain linking refers to a single news site and Sajin's comments above are what you need to use as a determining factor. Duplicates are the same story which has/have been previously posted. 

How does it make sense to have the mods decide it.  All that does is allow mods to play favorites. So far not one single mod has deleted any of your chain linking articles from tech power up.  Mods don't treat regular members like they do moderators who break the new requirements. 

We need defined rules like 3 or more articles from the same tech site is chain posted.  Someone should add that to requirement so EVERYONE knows. That way EVERYONE has to follow it, moderators included.

EVGA adds the requirement "The purpose of this section is to inform and encourage discussion about news; not simply linking anything related to the computer industry."

We can already see that is happening but do we see the moderators doing anything about it no, because it's a moderator who's doing it, you guys protect each other.

Would be nice if EVGA Management who made the rules would show some interest in this topic.  After all it's EVGA who made the rules not any of the moderators.

Opolis
CLASSIFIED Member
  • Total Posts : 2778
  • Ribbons : 7
Re: Computer Industry News requirements 2017/03/03 08:24:33 (permalink)
I feel your pain MSim but we both know how this will go.
I avoid that section completely since there is never any discussion, just links to articles.

MSim
Omnipotent Enthusiast
Re: Computer Industry News requirements 2017/03/03 08:27:40 (permalink)
Clickalot
I'd like to say not to let the small things bother you, but the counter to that is that some group will always have to. 

This stuff been annoying members for YEARS and now that we finally get evga to make sure rules, they leaving it up to moderators to decide if it break the rules or not. It's moderators who caused members to push for these rules in the first place. Mod would spam 6-8 articles from the same tech site pretty much daily for YEARS.

Now we have the same moderator finding anything he can related to computer industry news to post about it. Because it's a moderator, none of the rest of the moderators will do a damn thing about it. 

Much easier to way to handle it, limit members to 3 tech news articles posting per day. That will force EVERYONE to decide on the most interesting articles to post about. If it's about a safety hazard alert, that wouldn't count towards the limit.

1) forces member to decide on best article to post, not just anything related to computer industry
2) gives other members a chance to contribute

Sajin
EVGA Forum Moderator
  • Total Posts : 49165
  • Ribbons : 199
Re: Computer Industry News requirements 2017/03/03 13:12:33 (permalink)
MSim

So far not one single mod has deleted any of your chain linking articles from tech power up. 

I only see three articles listed from techpowerup in the last 24 hours.
bdary
Omnipotent Enthusiast
  • Total Posts : 10330
  • Ribbons : 116
Re: Computer Industry News requirements 2017/03/03 14:45:55 (permalink)
I don't see the problem with the Computer Industry News section??  I go in there 1 or 2 times a day, scroll through the thread titles, and if I see any that peak my interest, I go check it out.  Sometimes I post a comment or opinion, sometimes not.

Maybe I'm missing something, but it seems fine to me.

bill1024
Omnipotent Enthusiast
  • Total Posts : 11083
  • Ribbons : 65
Re: Computer Industry News requirements 2017/03/03 16:48:42 (permalink)
bdary
I don't see the problem with the Computer Industry News section??  I go in there 1 or 2 times a day, scroll through the thread titles, and if I see any that peak my interest, I go check it out.  Sometimes I post a comment or opinion, sometimes not.

I agree. I guess so many people get offended by the news these days.

Life is too short to carry a cheap pocket knife

HAZMAN_THE_GREAT
CLASSIFIED Member
  • Total Posts : 4805
  • Ribbons : 7
Re: Computer Industry News requirements 2017/03/03 18:32:38 (permalink)
bdary

He is just tired how most of that section has threads posted by the same person who uses the same website for 95% of his posted threads. Also he is tired how there is little effort being taken from said poster(s), to have a discussion in the thread by posting a measly small sentence or two that just comments with no endeavor. As he stated before its just upping said user's post count.

bill1024
Omnipotent Enthusiast
  • Total Posts : 11083
  • Ribbons : 65
Re: Computer Industry News requirements 2017/03/03 19:20:44 (permalink)
A conversation is a two way street.
I do not see much effort to go into any one of those threads and have an in depth conversation.
Would we rather there only be one new post a day in that section?
What I do not understand is why not just pass over the the threads you have no interest in, or join in a conversation the threads you like.
He is free to post a thread in there to spark up a conversation on the news, why complain.
I happen to like a selection of threads to choose from. I guess its because my scroll wheel works.

Life is too short to carry a cheap pocket knife

stalinx20
CLASSIFIED Member
  • Total Posts : 4977
Re: Computer Industry News requirements 2017/03/03 19:52:56 (permalink)
knightsilver

EVGA X79 Dark
2080 Black edition
EVGA 1000 gold PSU (Gold)
4820K CPU
16x G-skill
MSim
Omnipotent Enthusiast
Re: Computer Industry News requirements 2017/03/03 20:37:38 (permalink)
Sajin
MSim

So far not one single mod has deleted any of your chain linking articles from tech power up. 

I only see three articles listed from techpowerup in the last 24 hours.

Since the requirements went into place, i have seen over 3 techpowerup articles being posted within 24hrs by the same member, if we go past 24hrs it would be over 7 of them by the same member (since the requirements were added).

It shouldn't be that hard for EVGA management to update the computer industry requirements. If 3 or more articles is considered "chain linking" put that in the requirement so members know. That way it's clear to everyone.

The purpose of this section is to inform and encourage discussion about news; not simply linking anything related to the computer industry.

If EVGA really wants to prevent members from posting every little thing they find about "computer industry", just set a new topic limit for each member in that section per 24 or 48hours. That would force all members to decide which articles they find the most interesting to make a new topic about, instead of posting every little thing they can find to increase post count.

bdary
Omnipotent Enthusiast
  • Total Posts : 10330
  • Ribbons : 116
Re: Computer Industry News requirements 2017/03/04 08:35:25 (permalink)
HAZMAN_THE_GREAT
bdary

He is just tired how most of that section has threads posted by the same person who uses the same website for 95% of his posted threads. Also he is tired how there is little effort being taken from said poster(s), to have a discussion in the thread by posting a measly small sentence or two that just comments with no endeavor. As he stated before its just upping said user's post count.

I find it convienent to be able to get a lot of the daily new topics or headlines all in one place.  I do go to Guru3D (and others) and look though their "latest news" section as well.  Just in case anything was missed in EVGA's Computer Industry news section...

the_Scarlet_one
formerly Scarlet-tech
  • Total Posts : 24581
  • Ribbons : 79
Re: Computer Industry News requirements 2017/03/04 08:45:27 (permalink)
Quick question. If RJ didnt post anything, would you be in here posting or not?

True answers only.

If no, why do you care so much about who is posting? Why do you care so much about his post count?

Dont rant, I dont care. Keep the answers simple.

Since the requirements went up, I have been able to at least get some interest in the threads versus just seeing a link. This is a massive improvement.

And when someone says "if we go past 24, it goes up to 7 posts".. 4 was the number. There was 4 threads in one day that used one site. To me, that is the definition of petty.
post edited by Scarlet-Tech - 2017/03/04 08:52:26
MSim
Omnipotent Enthusiast
Re: Computer Industry News requirements 2017/03/04 15:15:31 (permalink)
Scarlet-Tech

True answers only.

If no, why do you care so much about who is posting? Why do you care so much about his post count?

Since the requirements went up, I have been able to at least get some interest in the threads versus just seeing a link. This is a massive improvement.

And when someone says "if we go past 24, it goes up to 7 posts".. 4 was the number. There was 4 threads in one day that used one site. To me, that is the definition of petty.

I bet if others had the chance to post articles, they would put more effort into it, you know like post a quote from the article along with original comment about it.  If EVGA tested out a limit on how many new topics a member can make per day in that section, we just might see other members making topics in that section or see more discussions happening in the current topics. 

I didn't bring this up or push for the new requirements for myself, over the years i have heard from members in PM's or read comments from them about that section. 

You claim not to care but you speak differently in private about the spam in Computer Industry news. Before you ever became a moderator you felt the same exact same way a lot of us do.  What's the definition for that?

You say no rant but you made a rant.

boylerya
FTW Member
  • Total Posts : 1910
Re: Computer Industry News requirements 2017/03/04 15:18:26 (permalink)
stalinx20
knightsilver

Give RJ a break, we need more postings from people like him. He finds great articles both good and bad. Due to the new rules i can only count on a mod such as him to find daily humor on articles he considers fact. Please encourage, and dont discourage the primary source of the computer news section.

United We Stand...Six Feet Apart.
Beware Vitamin A Palmitate found in products such as 2%, 1% or Skim Milk: government research
Garlic is the Antichrist.
MSim
Omnipotent Enthusiast
Re: Computer Industry News requirements 2017/03/04 15:45:16 (permalink)
boylerya
stalinx20
knightsilver

Give RJ a break, we need more postings from people like him. He finds great articles both good and bad. Due to the new rules i can only count on a mod such as him to find daily humor on articles he considers fact. Please encourage, and dont discourage the primary source of the computer news section.

No one said he doesn't post interesting articles from time to time. 

I'd take quality over quantity when it comes to articles topics posted. Having a limit to the amount of new topics ANY member can make in that section, that would encourage members to put more effort into the articles they do post don't you think?  It would also make it where we wouldn't have to worry about members posting everything they find related to computer industry  (FACT).

the_Scarlet_one
formerly Scarlet-tech
Re: Computer Industry News requirements 2017/03/04 16:02:51 (permalink)
MSim
Scarlet-Tech

True answers only.

I bet if others had the chance to post articles, they would put more effort into it, you know like post a quote from the article along with original comment about it.  If EVGA tested out a limit on how many new topics a member can make per day in that section, we just might see other members making topics in that section or see more discussions happening in the current topics. 

I didn't bring this up or push for the new requirements for myself, over the years i have heard from members in PM's or read comments from them about that section. 

You claim not to care but you speak differently in private about the spam in Computer Industry news. Before you ever became a moderator you felt the same exact same way a lot of us do.  What's the definition for that?

You say no rant but you made a rant.

No, I publicly spoke out about the link only posting. I voice it in his articles, I said it directly to him, I told you in pm, I even said it to Xray and EVGA. I did this after becoming a mod and before.

What you failed to realize, is that I commended Rj once the rules finally came because he adjusted relatively quick. He isnt posting 10 articles from TPU now, 3 or 4 at most usually.

I promise, there are more articles than he posts. I havent seen you post anything about the Computer Industry section other than complaints in the last year. If you dont like the section or people posting, why not avoid it? It worked for me. I could find the articles I found interesting posted by other users in other sections but you seem to hold a grudge against rj and xray, and I have said that before.

You keep saying I changed after I became a mod.. no, I guarantee I didn't, but you saw a label and instantly want to believe I did. That's on you, not on me.
MSim
Omnipotent Enthusiast
Re: Computer Industry News requirements 2017/03/04 18:22:59 (permalink)
Scarlet-Tech

No, I publicly spoke out about the link only posting. I voice it in his articles, I said it directly to him, I told you in pm, I even said it to Xray and EVGA. I did this after becoming a mod and before.

What you failed to realize, is that I commended Rj once the rules finally came because he adjusted relatively quick. He isnt posting 10 articles from TPU now, 3 or 4 at most usually.

I promise, there are more articles than he posts. I havent seen you post anything about the Computer Industry section other than complaints in the last year. If you dont like the section or people posting, why not avoid it? It worked for me. I could find the articles I found interesting posted by other users in other sections but you seem to hold a grudge against rj and xray, and I have said that before.

You keep saying I changed after I became a mod.. no, I guarantee I didn't, but you saw a label and instantly want to believe I did. That's on you, not on me.

I hold no grudge towards them, i just think they could put more effort into the news articles posting.  Xrayman the one that holds a grudge towards me, follows me around the forums just looking for something i do wrong where he can yell at me, even when i don't do anything wrong but say something he doesn't like, he will try to make me look bad.

It shouldn't matter if i don't post that many articles in the computer industry news section, that isn't a requirement to view or to comment in that section. Why should any member have to avoid that section, if they don't like one member spamming any articles he finds about computer industry. Leaving it up to fellow moderators to decide if that breaks the rules or not is the stupidest idea i have seen evga come up with on here. That leaves the door wide open for moderators to abuse members and exclude themselves from following the requirements. 

I find it strange evga has a "community manager" but do we see that person taking part in discussions like this or communicating with the community when they bring up concerns. Might be time to find someone who is better suited for that role, if the current person refuses to do it.  If the "chain linking" is 3+ topics in a role from same source, why does our community manager refuse to add it to the sticky thread so ALL members know it. It would be nice to have a better explanation for what is considered "posting everything related to computer industry".

atfrico
Omnipotent Enthusiast
  • Total Posts : 12753
  • Ribbons : 25
Re: Computer Industry News requirements 2017/03/04 19:02:15 (permalink)
MSim

I hold no grudge towards them, i just think they could put more effort into the news articles posting.  Xrayman the one that holds a grudge towards me, follows me around the forums just looking for something i do wrong where he can yell at me, even when i don't do anything wrong but say something he doesn't like, he will try to make me look bad.

It shouldn't matter if i don't post that many articles in the computer industry news section, that isn't a requirement to view or to comment in that section. Why should any member have to avoid that section, if they don't like one member spamming any articles he finds about computer industry. Leaving it up to fellow moderators to decide if that breaks the rules or not is the stupidest idea i have seen evga come up with on here. That leaves the door wide open for moderators to abuse members and exclude themselves from following the requirements. 

I find it strange evga has a "community manager" but do we see that person taking part in discussions like this or communicating with the community when they bring up concerns. Might be time to find someone who is better suited for that role, if the current person refuses to do it.  If the "chain linking" is 3+ topics in a role from same source, why does our community manager refuse to add it to the sticky thread so ALL members know it. It would be nice to have a better explanation for what is considered "posting everything related to computer industry".

Yeah, i have noticed that lately, a Mod or a Member following around other members. 

I couldn't agree more MSim. Apparently the top people at EVGA simply shows the same attitude the Community Manager is reflecting at the moment (simply do not care) and the rest follow. Attitude reflects leadership and it is starting to show. At this point MSim, even though you are trying to make things right and come into light, others will perceive you as the annoying member and simply because you are telling the truth about an issue not even the Mods care to fix because the C.M. does not care either. 

Those who abuse power, are nothing but scumbags! The challenge of power is how to use it and not abuse it. The abuse of power that seems to create the most unhappiness is when a person uses personal power to get ahead without regards to the welfare of others, people are obsessed with it. You can take a nice person and turn them into a slob, into an insane being, craving power, destroying anything that stands in their way.

Affiliate Code: 3T15O1S07G
the_Scarlet_one
formerly Scarlet-tech
Re: Computer Industry News requirements 2017/03/04 19:05:58 (permalink)
atfrico
Yeah, i have noticed that lately, a Mod or a Member following around other members. 

I couldn't agree more MSim. Apparently the top people at EVGA simply shows the same attitude the Community Manager is reflecting at the moment (simply do not care) and the rest follow. Attitude reflects leadership and it is starting to show. At this point MSim, even though you are trying to make things right and come into light, others will perceive you as the annoying member and simply because you are telling the truth about an issue not even the Mods care to fix because the C.M. does not care either. 

I dont find msim annoying at all. I see you pop in and reaffirm anyone that doesnt agree with evga all the time, but i dont judge you on that.

Honestly, I like talking to MSim. No I dont agree with everything he says, but i dont fully agree with anyone. Its part of life. I will always stand behind the fact that I believe he is incredibly hard to please, because everytime something changes, he immediately wants more rules imposed.. but as soon as they are, he has faults with those imposed.

If you honestly think the community manager isnt paying attention, then how do you explain the update in rules? Could you take a second and imagine that they may be dealing with a launch of new gpu's, or maybe have other things going on at the same time, and they are prioritizing issues?
post edited by Scarlet-Tech - 2017/03/04 19:08:51
atfrico
Omnipotent Enthusiast
Re: Computer Industry News requirements 2017/03/04 19:15:12 (permalink)
Scarlet-Tech
atfrico

I dont find msim annoying at all. I see you pop in and reaffirm anyone that doesnt agree with evga all the time, but i dont judge you on that.

If you honestly think the community manager isnt paying attention, then how do you explain the update in rules? Could you take a second and imagine that they may be dealing with a launch of new gpu's, or maybe have other things going on at the same time, and they are prioritizing issues?

Does that annoy you? MSim is displeased and him, like many other are members are/who i consider valuable to this community just like i am. If the Manager is paying attention how come a member is getting BRs for re posting something that was already posted by another member already? I am paying attention to this detail, apparently The C.M. is not and neither the Mod giving the BRs to the member reposting these threads.
The update of the rules came to place due to other members complaining about it and i find it funny because these so called updates of rules were given before many times and the person in charge pay no mind (simply did not care). You make it seem like these updates are new but to my eyes are not because they were already discussed before you were a mod.
I understand MSim frustration why cant you?

Those who abuse power, are nothing but scumbags! The challenge of power is how to use it and not abuse it. The abuse of power that seems to create the most unhappiness is when a person uses personal power to get ahead without regards to the welfare of others, people are obsessed with it. You can take a nice person and turn them into a slob, into an insane being, craving power, destroying anything that stands in their way.

Brad_Hawthorne
Insert Custom Title Here
  • Total Posts : 23174
  • Ribbons : 39
Re: Computer Industry News requirements 2017/03/04 19:17:13 (permalink)
I take issue with RJ's habits, not RJ himself. If the new news guidelines help improve matters, I'm all for it.
the_Scarlet_one
formerly Scarlet-tech
Re: Computer Industry News requirements 2017/03/04 19:57:53 (permalink)
atfrico
Does that annoy you? MSim is displeased and him, like many other are members are/who i consider valuable to this community just like i am. If the Manager is paying attention how come a member is getting BRs for re posting something that was already posted by another member already? I am paying attention to this detail, apparently The C.M. is not and neither the Mod giving the BRs to the member reposting these threads.
The update of the rules came to place due to other members complaining about it and i find it funny because these so called updates of rules were given before many times and the person in charge pay no mind (simply did not care). You make it seem like these updates are new but to my eyes are not because they were already discussed before you were a mod.

With you, I dont understand why you only come in to argue and complain. Does it annoy me, no, not at all. I couldn't care less as long as you are abiding by the terms of service.

The "person in charge" at the time that you mention isnt even with evga anymore, and since he left, there has been attempts to make things better. Had you been paying attention, you may have noticed. Its not a fast process, especially with every atrempt at correction comes brand new complaints.

As for Blue Ribbons, I cant see who posts them. I cant even see when one has been aearded, because I typically dont get time on a computer and mobile doesnt show them. Ribbons are meant as an incentive to get people active and helping the community. If you post something helpful and solve someone's issues, you would receive them too. If you want to se other people awarded ribbons, nominate them to receive them through the report button or through the Afterburner APB thread. As far as whom you are speaking of, I have no idea whom it is receiving or giving the ribbons.
atfrico
Omnipotent Enthusiast
Re: Computer Industry News requirements 2017/03/04 20:11:48 (permalink)
Scarlet-Tech
atfrico

With you, I dont understand why you only come in to argue and complain. Does it annoy me, no, not at all. I couldn't care less as long as you are abiding by the terms of service.

The "person in charge" at the time that you mention isnt even with evga anymore, and since he left, there has been attempts to make things better. Had you been paying attention, you may have noticed. Its not a fast process, especially with every atrempt at correction comes brand new complaints.

As for Blue Ribbons, I cant see who posts them. I cant even see when one has been aearded, because I typically dont get time on a computer and mobile doesnt show them. Ribbons are meant as an incentive to get people active and helping the community. If you post something helpful and solve someone's issues, you would receive them too. If you want to se other people awarded ribbons, nominate them to receive them through the report button or through the Afterburner APB thread. As far as whom you are speaking of, I have no idea whom it is receiving or giving the ribbons.

First you say i pop in to reaffirm someone not agreeing with EVGA, then you say complaint/argue, ok....with whom? I post something and you, like many other members, make it into an argument. I am reaffirming MSim because in a way he is right. He doesn't post meaningless pathetic topics that cries for attention. If i flash someone's thread as a spam then the so called mature member does the same with my post. so you tell me? how you and the rest of the Mods are enforcing the guidelines when that happens? I came to reaffirm, concur with MSim who has a valid argument. If i am not allowed to pop into this forum and reaffirm someone's frustration who really is at the same level of my frustration, please show me the rule in the forums that states i am not allowed to do that, so i can not do that again.

XrayMan
Insert Custom Title Here
  • Total Posts : 73000
  • Ribbons : 115
Re: Computer Industry News requirements 2017/03/04 20:16:27 (permalink)

To Everyone.

I have better things to do in the forums than to follow members around. If anyone thinks I follow them around, I call them delusional.

My Affiliate Code: 8WEQVXMCJL

Associate Code: VHKH33QN4W77V6A

&nbsp
Page: 123 > Showing page 1 of 3
Jump to:
  • Back to Mobile