FlatlineRo
  • Total Posts : 8
  • Reward points : 0
  • Ribbons : 0
2018/05/09 23:16:14 (permalink)
Hello,
My GTX 970 FTW stopped working,
my PC won't start with it installed.

I managed to replace it with a new GT710 and It's working fine now but here is the problem.
I'm trying to figure out where to send it for warranty because i'm afraid it's burned.
I got the 970 from Romania where both, the seller (pcgarage.ro) and the distributor (itdirect.ro) claim that "piese arse sau plesnite" (burned or exploded parts void warranty)

What should I do?
If I'll send it to them, they will most likely take it apart and I won't be able to send it to EVGA RMA EU afterwards (if they decline to solve my problem in the first place).
I am not familiar with international shipping that is why I would prefer to solve things locally.

Cheers,
Adrian

An update ...

I chose to send the card to EVGA EU. The Process took no more than two weeks and I advise Romanians to send it to warranty from where you've purchased it or at least pick a cheaper shipping alternative to UPS I.e."Poșta Română" if you choose to send it to Germany because in the end I have spent 112 Euros and received an overall inferior replacement.

EVGA thought it was wise to replace the 970FTW (04G-P4-2978-KR) with a 1060SC (06G-P4-6163-KR)

What's the problem, it's 10fps faster, I hear you say; well the problem is noise, lots and lots of noise because the replacement card has a single fan.
How bad can it be? I for one can't see the difference between 120fps and 130fps in GTA5 but I can hear it just fine through the Define R5 case (no window on the side panel) whilst listening to in-ear headphones (Fiio F9 PRO) I'm not exaggerating at all, the 1060 fan can be heard through one of the best noise canceling cases of 2014 whilst using earbuds 1.5-2m away from the case.
Probably you have insufficient airflow, that's what I thought and tried to resolve by purchasing extra fans before committing to write my negative opinion on the forum.

After a month of testing, mostly in GTA5, I resolved the noise issue by enabling V-Sync because at 60 fps the 1060 fan won't reach 2000RPM;
the 4x140mm case fans don't help much as the GPU will gradually hit 2000RPM within 15min without V-Sync, regardless if I disregard PWM function and turn them to 100%.

I don't consider this a fair replacement at all, with the old card noise was never an issue. I went from playing at 120fps to 60fps on a card that can do 10fps more, on paper. This is surreal.
I am extremely disappointed and I truly pity people that have purchased single fan cards and choose to play without V-sync on.

What I have learned from this experience

Don't purchase cards that have no VRM and/or RAM cooling so you won't have to deal with warranty problems.

post edited by FlatlineRo - 2018/06/23 04:39:33

12 Replies Related Threads

bob16314
    Omnipotent Enthusiast
    • Total Posts : 8048
    • Ribbons : 761
    Re: Warranty Question 2018/05/10 02:06:55 (permalink)
    Buna ziua, Flatline.

RMA from Romania (if that's where you are at) gets sent to/from Munich, Germany.

Go to the EVGA Home page or the dropdown at the top of this forum page..Click on "Member" then click on "My Products"..There you can Register Product, View Details about your product (including the warranty), and see How to Submit an RMA.

Make sure you select the correct region (Europe) in the top-right of the page.

If you have any questions, you can always Contact EVGA.

* Corsair Obsidian 450D Mid-Tower - Airflow Edition * ASUS ROG Maximus X Hero (Wi-Fi AC) * Intel i7-8700K @ 5.0 GHz * 16GB G.SKILL Trident Z 4133MHz * Sabrent Rocket 1TB M.2 SSD * WD Black 500 GB HDD * Seasonic M12 II 750W * Corsair H115i Elite Capellix 280mm * EVGA GTX 760 SC * Win7 Home/Win10 Home * 

"Whatever it takes, as long as it works" - Me

tsigel
    • Total Posts : 23
    Re: Warranty Question 2018/05/10 08:33:31 (permalink)
    DONT listen to dealers... the majority are trying to scam us... i had the same problem.. my 970 went kaboom and they said me warranty void cause of burned chip... i send the card to evga and they accepted the warranty and replaced my card... so ignore the dealers and send your card straight to evga...
    bob16314
    Omnipotent Enthusiast
    • Total Posts : 8048
    • Ribbons : 761
    Re: Warranty Question 2018/05/11 05:06:18 (permalink)
    tsigel
    DONT listen to dealers... the majority are trying to scam us... i had the same problem.. my 970 went kaboom and they said me warranty void cause of burned chip... i send the card to evga and they accepted the warranty and replaced my card... so ignore the dealers and send your card straight to evga...

I think that for the most part that is true too, but not always.

And see also: When RMAing a product, what should I send in and how should I package the defective item? as well as other FAQs you can search for in the EVGA FAQ Help Center

* Corsair Obsidian 450D Mid-Tower - Airflow Edition * ASUS ROG Maximus X Hero (Wi-Fi AC) * Intel i7-8700K @ 5.0 GHz * 16GB G.SKILL Trident Z 4133MHz * Sabrent Rocket 1TB M.2 SSD * WD Black 500 GB HDD * Seasonic M12 II 750W * Corsair H115i Elite Capellix 280mm * EVGA GTX 760 SC * Win7 Home/Win10 Home * 

"Whatever it takes, as long as it works" - Me

EVGATech_AdamB
    FTW Member
    • Total Posts : 1930
    • Ribbons : 4
    Re: Warranty Question 2018/05/11 15:10:43 (permalink)
    Hello FlatlineRo! Generally, we recommend working directly with us if you are having issues with a product. We don't recommend letting a third-party try to make any repairs or allow them to open the card as any accidental damage would void the warranty for the graphics card. I see that you have contacted our customer service and a ticket number has already been e-mailed to you. I recommend submitting your RMA request at: https://eu.evga.com/support/rma.asp to get that process started. If you have any questions or need additional assistance, please contact us and we will be happy to assist.

Like our service? Please provide feedback for us at the link HERE
    FlatlineRo
    Re: Warranty Question 2018/05/16 11:32:49 (permalink)
    Thank you all for the support, done as instructed and shipped the card to Germany.

Regarding scams :)) I think the local UPS chavs just pulled one on me, check out these numbers:
    Romania to Germany (one week estimated delivery time) - 78Euro.
    post edited by Sajin - 2018/05/16 11:34:00
    FlatlineRo
    Re: Warranty Question 2018/05/16 11:46:02 (permalink)
    At least I ended up with a cool story.

I saw no UPS trucks outside and I asked if they work with another local delivery company,
    they replied with no.

I asked how the packages will arrive to me then, if they have no UPS branded cars and no other company.
    They replied, the packages will be delivered to your address.

I started laughing and said
    I hope you're not making the delivery man walk on foot, that dude will expect a tip.

FlatlineRo
    Re: Warranty Question 2018/06/23 04:46:38 (permalink)
    after testing the RMA replacement I have left my thoughts in the edit of the first post, summing up my overall experience..
    davevt31
    FTW Member
    • Total Posts : 1130
    • Ribbons : 7
    Re: Warranty Question 2018/06/23 16:11:57 (permalink)
    Might want to rethink your number of fans, you have three intake and two exhaust ones that are pushing into radiators (at least that's what it looks like from picture) and one true exhaust .This can cause too much of a pressure build up in there and make for inefficient airflow.  You might want to try to make your intakes equal your exhausts.

edit- missed the part where you wrote about getting more fans, just try to make sure intake = exhaust. 
    post edited by davevt31 - 2018/06/23 16:14:38

Hoggle
    EVGA Forum Moderator
    • Total Posts : 10101
    • Ribbons : 4
    Re: Warranty Question 2018/06/23 18:07:48 (permalink)
    I would recommend talking to EVGA about the noise of its a really big problem with the replacement for you. They try to make people happy when they step them up to a new product.

Use an Associates Code & SAVE 5% - 10% on your purchase. Just click on the associates banner to save, or enter the associates code at checkout on your next purchase. If you choose to use my code I want to personally say "Thank You" for using it. 

the_Scarlet_one
    formerly Scarlet-tech
    • Total Posts : 24581
    • Ribbons : 79
    Re: Warranty Question 2018/06/23 19:47:38 (permalink)
    davevt31
    Might want to rethink your number of fans, you have three intake and two exhaust ones that are pushing into radiators (at least that's what it looks like from picture) and one true exhaust .This can cause too much of a pressure build up in there and make for inefficient airflow.  You might want to try to make your intakes equal your exhausts.

edit- missed the part where you wrote about getting more fans, just try to make sure intake = exhaust. 

Your assessment of fans is slightly incorrect. Users SHOULD have positive pressure, which means more air in than out. Less exhaust fans and more intake fans. Intake should be always be at least slightly greater than exhaust.

I highly suggest doing more research on negative, neutral, and positive pressure.

Here are a few videos to start with that explain everything:

While nuetral pressure isnt the worst scenario, it is still not where you want to be. Positive pressure is ALWAYS better. You still need intake and exhaust, but you always want to have more intake than exhaust to move more cool air in, to push the hot air out. Truly neutral is hard to achieve, so aim for positive pressure.

Also, filters help with dust control. Use them.
    post edited by the_Scarlet_one - 2018/06/23 20:16:51
    FlatlineRo
    Re: Warranty Question 2018/06/24 00:31:18 (permalink)
    The linked videos are quite helpful, thank you.
    Will order some inexpensive incense for a final dead-spot test and learn to deal with it regardless of the outcome.

EVGATech_MarkusK
    EVGA EU Tech Support
    • Total Posts : 315
    Re: Warranty Question 2018/06/25 05:38:03 (permalink)
    Hi FlatlineRo,

please get in contact within the place of purchase within the information, that you want to get back your products - after please get in contact with us directly through supporteu@evga.com

Markus
    Jump to:
  • Back to Mobile