EVGA

Helpful ReplyCoil whine on new 1070 Ti ultra silent plus a small grinding/weird kind of noise

Author
Mattukr
  • Total Posts : 64
  • Reward points : 0
  • Ribbons : 0
2018/04/14 06:06:08 (permalink)
Hey guys!

So I just purchased my new 1070 ti Ultra silent version, but unfortunately the coil whine on this card is ear-piercing. Like really from any load on the card from low fps to high fps (and I have it capped at 141) it's really a bad noise :( Obviously I bought this card in the hopes to have quiet gaming without worrying about noise, and tbh this is not what I expected on this card (I know it's not intentional).

I previously had a EVGA 1070 SC gaming and had zero coil whine at all (Gave to my lil sister now), and I've even put that card back in my computer to verify there's no coil whine on it still and that was the case. I've also tried my spare power supply and that also made no difference for this card. (Current PSU Seasonic Focus Gold 850W Plus and also EVGA 650 GQ, 80+ GOLD 650W)

Here's a video that shows the coil whine, and also there's a weird noise very faint but grinding like noise (maybe grinding the wrong word) coming from the card, if you turn up the volume you can just hear it. It's very intermittent like lasts for 2 seconds and disappears for 2 seconds then comes back alternating the sound. I have no idea what that noise could be, it's definitely coming from the GPU though 100%.

I didn't wanna write to support straight away but wanted to get opinions on anything I can try to resolve these problems? I guess I could request and RMA.

Thanks all.

Kind Regards,
Matt

Edit: Added video link as it was removed before I think
post edited by Mattukr - 2018/04/14 10:43:34

CPU: Ryzen 5 3600x
Mobo: Gigabyte X570 AORUS ELITE
RAM: HyperX Predator 3333Mhz 16GB
Storage: Samsung 960 Evo 250GB NVMe, Crucial MX500 500GB, Seagate Firecuda 2TB.
GPU: EVGA GeForce GTX 980 Ti K|NGP|N
Case: Thermaltake View 27
Monitor: Asus ROG Strix XG32VQ
Power Supply: EVGA GQ Supernova 750W

Sajin
EVGA Forum Moderator
  • Total Posts : 49165
  • Ribbons : 199
Re: Coil whine on new 1070 Ti ultra silent plus a small grinding/weird kind of noise 2018/04/14 14:18:42 (permalink) ☄ Helpfulby Mattukr 2018/04/14 14:38:30
Heard all the noises you're talking about. I'd rma it if you're still within the first 30 days of purchase.
Mattukr
Re: Coil whine on new 1070 Ti ultra silent plus a small grinding/weird kind of noise 2018/04/14 14:39:16 (permalink)
Definitely as I only just got it this week so I'll submit a support ticket.

Thanks a lot Sajin for the advice!

Kind Regards,
Matt

Sajin
EVGA Forum Moderator
Re: Coil whine on new 1070 Ti ultra silent plus a small grinding/weird kind of noise 2018/04/14 14:44:48 (permalink)
No problem. Hope your replacement card fixes all your issues. Let me know how it goes.
Mattukr
Re: Coil whine on new 1070 Ti ultra silent plus a small grinding/weird kind of noise 2018/04/14 15:29:45 (permalink)
Thanks again - will do, Sajin :)

JacobB
SSC Member
  • Total Posts : 522
  • Ribbons : 3
Re: Coil whine on new 1070 Ti ultra silent plus a small grinding/weird kind of noise 2018/04/15 16:44:18 (permalink) ☄ Helpfulby Mattukr 2018/04/15 23:42:27
Hello,

I will be getting in contact with you shortly about your graphics card.

Look for my reply! :)
Mattukr
Re: Coil whine on new 1070 Ti ultra silent plus a small grinding/weird kind of noise 2018/04/15 23:47:58 (permalink)
Just writing here to notify, but thanks so much for an excellent answer in the support ticket Jacob. I did reply there - not sure if it goes directly to you but wanted to thank you for your help! I'll post an update in the near future :) !

JacobB
SSC Member
Re: Coil whine on new 1070 Ti ultra silent plus a small grinding/weird kind of noise 2018/04/17 17:43:40 (permalink)
Mattukr
Just writing here to notify, but thanks so much for an excellent answer in the support ticket Jacob. I did reply there - not sure if it goes directly to you but wanted to thank you for your help! I'll post an update in the near future :) !

I'm glad to have been of help to you! :) We look forward to that update.
Mattukr
Re: Coil whine on new 1070 Ti ultra silent plus a small grinding/weird kind of noise 2018/04/19 01:57:08 (permalink)
Hi Sajin & Jacob!

Just letting you know with the update...

Received the replacement card yesterday, so I was testing late last night - I installed the new card and after a big scare all seems to be working ok so far! Basically when I installed the card and booted up it wouldn't show an image and then during the boot-up during BIOS screen the monitor showed the whole screen with artifacts, literally full screen of colored lines and nothing else, then signal died and dropped into a blank screen. I then double checked all the wiring, placement of GPU in the PCI-E slot etc. everything was fine so I switched the computer back on and this time it seemed to all boot up as normal :) I wonder what could have caused that though? Seems very random considering the GPU was fine for the next hour.

Did some brief benchmark runs to get the card settled in, haven't had chance to play my games yet but I let the card idle on PUBG loading screen where my coil whine was super bad before, and it seems to be so much better so I'm happy so far! I'll make some better use of it this weekend to make sure though :D

The best thing is that the humming/grinding/weird noise that was ever-present in the previous card has disappeared completely so I've no idea what that was. It was also a noise when the card was on full load (you can hear it in the video behind the coil whine, intermittent but had a fixed pattern).

I'm sending back the RMA card today with guaranteed next day DHL delivery, so it will arrive with EVGA in Germany tomorrow :)

Thanks again for your opinions and help with all this so far, very happy with all the support I've received!

Kind Regards,
Matt

lukeds
  • Total Posts : 16
Re: Coil whine on new 1070 Ti ultra silent plus a small grinding/weird kind of noise 2018/04/19 08:11:46 (permalink)
Have you tried it in a different system or a different PSU? I've had problems before where my RX580 had extreme coil whine on my system and tried it on my brothers and it wasn't as bad so I replaced my PSU and it was quieter than it was! But if its really too loud then I'd RMA it too.

Ryzen 5 5600x (PBO Enabled) | Nvidia 3080 Founders Edition | T-Force DDR4 16GB 2x8GB 3600Mhz CL14 | EVGA SuperNOVA 750GT | Asus X570-E Motherboard | 1TB Sabrent Rocket, 500GB SSD Samsung 850Evo, 500GB SSD Kingston A400, Toshiba P300 3TB HDD, Seagate 4TB HDD | Lian-Li PC-O11D

Affiliate code: ON26FSMWHE
Sajin
EVGA Forum Moderator
Re: Coil whine on new 1070 Ti ultra silent plus a small grinding/weird kind of noise 2018/04/19 09:32:00 (permalink)
Mattukr
Hi Sajin & Jacob!

Received the replacement card yesterday, so I was testing late last night - I installed the new card and after a big scare all seems to be working ok so far! Basically when I installed the card and booted up it wouldn't show an image and then during the boot-up during BIOS screen the monitor showed the whole screen with artifacts, literally full screen of colored lines and nothing else, then signal died and dropped into a blank screen. I then double checked all the wiring, placement of GPU in the PCI-E slot etc. everything was fine so I switched the computer back on and this time it seemed to all boot up as normal :) I wonder what could have caused that though? Seems very random considering the GPU was fine for the next hour.

Did some brief benchmark runs to get the card settled in, haven't had chance to play my games yet but I let the card idle on PUBG loading screen where my coil whine was super bad before, and it seems to be so much better so I'm happy so far! I'll make some better use of it this weekend to make sure though :D

The best thing is that the humming/grinding/weird noise that was ever-present in the previous card has disappeared completely so I've no idea what that was. It was also a noise when the card was on full load (you can hear it in the video behind the coil whine, intermittent but had a fixed pattern).

I'm sending back the RMA card today with guaranteed next day DHL delivery, so it will arrive with EVGA in Germany tomorrow :)

Thanks again for your opinions and help with all this so far, very happy with all the support I've received!

Kind Regards,
Matt

Hope the extended testing goes ok for ya.
JacobB
SSC Member
Re: Coil whine on new 1070 Ti ultra silent plus a small grinding/weird kind of noise 2018/04/22 12:50:53 (permalink) ☄ Helpfulby Mattukr 2018/04/22 14:40:49
Mattukr
Hi Sajin & Jacob!

Kind Regards,
Matt

Hello,

In regards to that scare, it is completely possible that you may have just had a loose cable connection somewhere and checking all connections may have fixed it. However I am glad it was just a scare and nothing serious! Additionally, I am glad to hear that the card you received has alleviated all problems and that you no longer have the coil whine. If anything does come up with the card in the future, please do not hesitate to get in contact with us! We are always here to do our best to help out!

-Jacob
Mattukr
Re: Coil whine on new 1070 Ti ultra silent plus a small grinding/weird kind of noise 2018/04/22 14:40:44 (permalink)
EVGATech_JacobB
Mattukr
Hi Sajin & Jacob!

Kind Regards,
Matt

Hello,

In regards to that scare, it is completely possible that you may have just had a loose cable connection somewhere and checking all connections may have fixed it. However I am glad it was just a scare and nothing serious! Additionally, I am glad to hear that the card you received has alleviated all problems and that you no longer have the coil whine. If anything does come up with the card in the future, please do not hesitate to get in contact with us! We are always here to do our best to help out!

-Jacob

Hopefully was just a loose cable (although nothing seemed so) but yes just letting you know I've had 3 days of gaming a few hours each day, no card problems as expected! Just super happy right now :)

Thanks again Jacob ! :P

Kikoooo
  • Total Posts : 2
Re: Coil whine on new 1070 Ti ultra silent plus a small grinding/weird kind of noise 2018/08/05 18:30:45 (permalink)
Hey guys, i know this post is a few months old but the same thing is happening to me. I bout my card on April 25, 2018, but didn't build my pc until July 17th. the whole time using the card ive been hearing the sound of the coil. i didn't know it was an issue until yesterday when i was looking at reviws of the card and came across the forum. Every time i run pubg and rust the noise somes back and every time i switch the fortnite fps cap from 60 to 140 the noise begins again. 

XrayMan
Insert Custom Title Here
  • Total Posts : 73000
  • Ribbons : 115
Re: Coil whine on new 1070 Ti ultra silent plus a small grinding/weird kind of noise 2018/08/07 20:46:45 (permalink)
Kikoooo
Hey guys, i know this post is a few months old but the same thing is happening to me. I bout my card on April 25, 2018, but didn't build my pc until July 17th. the whole time using the card ive been hearing the sound of the coil. i didn't know it was an issue until yesterday when i was looking at reviws of the card and came across the forum. Every time i run pubg and rust the noise somes back and every time i switch the fortnite fps cap from 60 to 140 the noise begins again. 

Sorry, but you need to start your own thread for your issue. Thanks.       =)

My Affiliate Code: 8WEQVXMCJL

Associate Code: VHKH33QN4W77V6A

&nbsp
Jump to:
  • Back to Mobile