EVGA

Clipping from line out to speakers at 100% Windows Volume

Author
fatherfork
  • Total Posts : 3
  • Reward points : 0
  • Ribbons : 0
2020/01/31 11:47:10 (permalink)
(Sorry, apparently my thread was deleted for trying to edit it too many times. Didn't realize I couldn't post links so the link to Lee's post was originally left out.)

I’m having an issue that may not be an issue, I just can’t find any information about it.

Hardware: Nu Audio Card (Not pro)
Headphones: Headphone out
Speakers: RCA Line out

Previously, I had my Windows system volume set at about 50% and the headphone amp volume (in the Nu Audio app) at about 35%. I then set my speakers’ physical volume to approximately match my headphone volume at 50% Windows system volume. That way I can go between headphones and speakers in the Nu Audio app and not have large changes in volume between them. This also meant I could just use the native Windows system volume controls for both output types. I had no issues with this setup.

Going based on EVGATech_LeeM’s post here: forums dot evga dot com/FindPost/2914295, I decided to tinker a little, thinking maybe my volume setup wasn’t optimal, quality wise, since Windows was attenuating before sending the signal to the sound card. So I set my Windows system volume to 100% (which I understood to be unity) and turned down the headphone amp volume and my speaker’s physical volume. In this setup, headphone output is great. I can set the headphone dial in the Nu Audio app to about 15% and the volume is perfect with no issues.

However, the speakers clip no matter what volume I set the speakers’ physical knob to. It turns out that I get clipping on the speaker output at any Windows system volume above about 65%.

What difference between the outputs on the Nu Audio sound card are there that would cause clipping on the RCA output but not the headphone output? Is this a defect in the card, or just a difference in the way the Nu Audio drivers handle line level over the RCA outputs?

Does anyone else have this issue or is this expected behavior?

2 Replies Related Threads

EVGA_Lee
    • Total Posts : 4247
    • Ribbons : 14
    Re: Clipping from line out to speakers at 100% Windows Volume 2020/02/03 17:04:36 (permalink)
    Need a little more information. 

What kind of system do you have (MB, CPU)?  What audio equipment are you using; specifically, what speakers (+amp, if applicable) are you using?  What OS?  What kind of applications are you using where you get clippling?  What kind of audio or media are you playing?
    fatherfork
    • Total Posts : 3
    • Ribbons : 0
    Re: Clipping from line out to speakers at 100% Windows Volume 2020/02/04 07:53:36 (permalink)
    CPU: i7-8700K
    Mobo: ASRock Fatal1ty Z370 Gaming K6
    Speakers: Klipsch IFi
    Applications: Plexamp, Foobar2000
    Audio Types: Music; FLAC

I downloaded Foobar just to test and get the same clipping as from Plexamp. System volume above 65% clips. I can send you a file for testing, but so far it's behaved this way on every music file I've played with those two apps. 
    Jump to:
  • Back to Mobile