Author
rjohnson11
EVGA Forum Moderator
  • Total Posts : 102262
  • Reward points : 0
  • Ribbons : 84
2021/04/16 00:40:06 (permalink)
Chip shortage may last into 2023 as fixes slowly emerge | FierceElectronics

President Biden’s push to get congressional support for his $2.2 infrastructure package includes a strong push for bolstering domestic chip manufacturing with a $50 billion investment.

However, some question whether his plan will get bipartisan support and whether the financial boost could relieve the current chip shortage any time soon.  By several recent accounts, it appears the industry is settling in for chip shortages to last into 2023, especially for chips used by automakers, even as companies commit to expand chipmaking capacity.
The president has appeared several times in public forums on the issue, holding up props like a tiny semiconductor and a larger wafer in a Monday virtual summit with chipmakers and car company executives who have had to scale back vehicle production at plants for want of more chips.

He claimed bipartisan support for the CHIPS for America initiative which passed last year as part of the Defense act and calls for tax incentives for building domestic chip fabrication facilities. A letter he received said 23 U.S. Senators and 42 House members from both parties supported the CHIPS Act and how it helps the U.S. compete with China in chip research and development.

“China and the rest of the world are not waiting,” Biden said.

The meeting resonated with executives who attended the event, according to some accounts. Several executives interviewed by VLSI Analyst Dan Hutcheson after the meeting “are uniformly bullish about bi-partisan support for the industry,” Hutcheson told Fierce Electronics on Thursday. The bullish executives came from firms including TSMC, based in Taiwan, a leading producer of chips designed by American companies, including Apple, Hutcheson said.  TSMC alone produces more than half the world’s chips. The company recently said it will spend $100 billion over the next three years to increase capacity to meet demand.
Others who attended were leaders from GlobalFoundries, Micron Technology, NXP, Samsung and Intel.

In early April, GlobalFoundries CEO Tom Caulfield told CNBC that the world’s semiconductor supply could lag behind demand until 2022 or later.  GlobalFoundries is the third-largest foundry and plans to invest $1.4 billion in chip factories this year. In another example, Nvidia uses a variety of foundries to produce the chips it designs. On Tuesday, Nvidia CEO Jensen Huang told reporters he doubted the chip shortage “will be a real issue in two years…The industry recognizes this and will build out the necessary capacity.” Huang added he has “every confidence” that a high-performance AI chip that Nvidia is developing for autonomous vehicles called Atlan will be available for cars coming in 2025. “We’ll do whatever is necessary to do when the time comes,” he said. “A company of our scale and resources can surely adapt the supply and make [Atlan] available to customers that use it.”

Based on this information 2022 could also be a bad year for chip manufacturing in my opinion. 

AMD Ryzen 9 7950X,  Corsair Mp700 Pro M.2, 64GB Corsair Dominator Titanium DDR5  X670E Steel Legend, MSI RTX 4090 Associate Code: H5U80QBH6BH0AXF. I am NOT an employee of EVGA

8 Replies Related Threads

Grey_Beard
    CLASSIFIED Member
    • Total Posts : 2232
    • Ribbons : 10
    Re: Chip shortage may last into 2023 as fixes slowly emerge 2021/04/16 08:55:46 (permalink)
    I just read this morning in the WSJ that another factor is the current drought in Taiwan. Given the amount of water used to manufacture chips, this is a major concern. Taiwan is already rationing water for residents and other businesses but not for this industry which makes up about 65% of the World chip production with TSMC alone accounting for 4.5% of the country’s GDP. If the drought persists or if the typhoons, that supply half of the water to Taiwan, change course, this could be devastating to chip production at some point in the future. Climate change will rewrite how the World does everything.
    atfrico
    Omnipotent Enthusiast
    • Total Posts : 12753
    • Ribbons : 25
    Re: Chip shortage may last into 2023 as fixes slowly emerge 2021/04/16 09:23:55 (permalink)
    Grey_Beard
    I just read this morning in the WSJ that another factor is the current drought in Taiwan. Given the amount of water used to manufacture chips, this is a major concern. Taiwan is already rationing water for residents and other businesses but not for this industry which makes up about 65% of the World chip production with TSMC alone accounting for 4.5% of the country’s GDP. If the drought persists or if the typhoons, that supply half of the water to Taiwan, change course, this could be devastating to chip production at some point in the future. Climate change will rewrite how the World does everything.

Rationing water? Can you link me to the article please.
    What type of excuse is that? They have the pacific ocean considered to be the biggest in size and depth. 🙄🤦

Those who abuse power, are nothing but scumbags! The challenge of power is how to use it and not abuse it. The abuse of power that seems to create the most unhappiness is when a person uses personal power to get ahead without regards to the welfare of others, people are obsessed with it. You can take a nice person and turn them into a slob, into an insane being, craving power, destroying anything that stands in their way.

Affiliate Code: 3T15O1S07G
    Grey_Beard
    CLASSIFIED Member
    Re: Chip shortage may last into 2023 as fixes slowly emerge 2021/04/16 12:46:49 (permalink)
    atfrico
    Grey_Beard

Rationing water? Can you link me to the article please.
    What type of excuse is that? They have the pacific ocean considered to be the biggest in size and depth. 🙄🤦

Here you go. It’s behind a pay wall so you need an account.

https://www.wsj.com/artic...=article_copyURL_share
    transdogmifier
    CLASSIFIED ULTRA Member
    • Total Posts : 6116
    • Ribbons : 17
    Re: Chip shortage may last into 2023 as fixes slowly emerge 2021/04/16 13:03:31 (permalink)
    There is no such thing as climate change.

It's an excuse to control. And it seems many of you fall for it.

AMD Ryzen 7900x3d
    Deepcool LT720
    Gigabyte Aorus Elite AX X670 (Might change..don't like this board)
    eVGA GeForce RTX 3090 FTW3 Ultra Gaming (Hybrid kit on it)
    Asus ROG Swift PG43UQ 4k Monitor
    eVGA 1600W Supernova T2 PSU
    32GB Kingston 6000 DDR5 (2x16GB) Fury
    Corsair MP600 Pro 2TB (Boot)
    Corsair MP600 2TB (Games/Data)
    Phanteks P500A Case

Grey_Beard
    CLASSIFIED Member
    Re: Chip shortage may last into 2023 as fixes slowly emerge 2021/04/16 14:25:13 (permalink)
    transdogmifier

Okay, I’ll bite.  Then what would you call it?  What are “they” trying to control?
    Jhenke
    Superclocked Member
    • Total Posts : 107
    • Ribbons : 0
    Re: Chip shortage may last into 2023 as fixes slowly emerge 2021/04/16 15:46:52 (permalink)
    Between many supply issues covid and mining its a perfect storm to hurt the GPU market NVDA making a large jump in performance was just the rock that broke the camels back
    Brad_Hawthorne
    Insert Custom Title Here
    • Total Posts : 23174
    • Ribbons : 39
    Re: Chip shortage may last into 2023 as fixes slowly emerge 2021/04/16 16:23:35 (permalink)
    Grey_Beard
    transdogmifier

Okay, I’ll bite.  Then what would you call it?  What are “they” trying to control?

I'm somewhere in between. It's a phrase that is a caricature of the actual definition. Just as "UFO" is associated (falsely) with aliens, "climate change" has a pavlov reaction that it's all humans. Climate change is a cycle of sun activity, volcanic activity and industrial emissions. The dumb thing about it is people attribute everything to human intervention and that it's terminal. People are ruled by fear, uncertainty and doubt. I'd prefer people be ruled by logic and critical thinking.

rjohnson11
    EVGA Forum Moderator
    • Total Posts : 102262
    • Ribbons : 84
    Re: Chip shortage may last into 2023 as fixes slowly emerge 2021/04/17 00:57:55 (permalink)
    Brad_Hawthorne
    Grey_Beard
    transdogmifier

I'm somewhere in between. It's a phrase that is a caricature of the actual definition. Just as "UFO" is associated (falsely) with aliens, "climate change" has a pavlov reaction that it's all humans. Climate change is a cycle of sun activity, volcanic activity and industrial emissions. The dumb thing about it is people attribute everything to human intervention and that it's terminal. People are ruled by fear, uncertainty and doubt. I'd prefer people be ruled by logic and critical thinking.

AMD Ryzen 9 7950X,  Corsair Mp700 Pro M.2, 64GB Corsair Dominator Titanium DDR5  X670E Steel Legend, MSI RTX 4090 Associate Code: H5U80QBH6BH0AXF. I am NOT an employee of EVGA

Jump to:
  • Back to Mobile