Changes in the Folding Teams landscape

Author
drougnor
CLASSIFIED Member
  • Total Posts : 2715
  • Reward points : 0
  • Ribbons : 18
2020/03/31 06:16:02 (permalink)
I'm sure you've all noticed that we're getting TROUNCED in production numbers and have been baffled at how the teams that are producing so hugely when we're getting a major lack of work, much like I am. 

I haven't been able to dig DEEPLY into this over the last couple of weeks due to work obligations keeping me in MASSIVE overtime (We got 500 something people geared up to work from home from ZERO prep in 2 weeks time! That's 500 more families with full sized paychecks than would have been otherwise!) but I have been able to poke in at the edges, and it's down to a handful of factors in my book.

Default? This is the most obvious - Several big names with LOTS of engagement have posted videos just stating that Folding is working to help cure Covid 19. That's enough for most people to want to help.  No direct recruitment call, just a call to arms.

Linus Tech Tips? This is most likely Linus's personal popularity and engagement as the result of a direct call to action AND direct recruitment to his team.

PC Master Race also seems to be getting higher numbers, but I don't know how to find them or even want to as a matter of personal taste (The whole PC Master Race thing just . . . We fought WW2 over someone establishing a 'master race'. I don't need that in my life, Thanks)

So, my question to you guys as a team is this: Given that, to my knowledge, none of us has a platform we can use with anywhere near the reach that Linus or PCMR have, let alone the breadth of the general call to arms that plumped up Default, how do we attempt to answer those numbers?  Do any of you have any personal ins with the EVGA Social team so we can ask that they kick up social media recruitment and engagement in the face of the disease? "EVGA is helping to CURE Covid 19" is a pretty awesome selling point, in my book.

Please keep in mind that I can't personally spearhead this beyond this post, but I'm stealing some time to properly highlight this so we all get central point to collect information and potentially make a plan of action, as a team.
Thanks, guys and gals, and regardless of if we manage to get better recruitment, this is STILL the best darn team on the planet and I'm ALWAYS a proud member of the family!

d

15 Replies Related Threads

castrator86
    SSC Member
    • Total Posts : 816
    • Ribbons : 2
    Re: Changes in the Folding Teams landscape 2020/03/31 10:21:22 (permalink)
    Here's a video that got posted about the teams and folding over the years: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9BsB3glFDho&feature=emb_logo

STR1D3R_2
    FTW Member
    • Total Posts : 1430
    • Ribbons : 13
    Re: Changes in the Folding Teams landscape 2020/03/31 10:43:23 (permalink)
    castrator86
    Here's a video that got posted about the teams and folding over the years: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9BsB3glFDho&feature=emb_logo

That is awesome!

drougnor
    ,,,how do we attempt to answer those numbers?  Do any of you have any personal ins with the EVGA Social team so we can ask that they kick up social media recruitment and engagement in the face of the disease? "EVGA is helping to CURE Covid 19" is a pretty awesome selling point, in my book.,,,
     d

I'll say a 2020 TZC call to arms would help. Still on the cool side here in NY
    post edited by STR1D3R_2 - 2020/03/31 10:54:19

Affiliate code E1HEL4HYPS
    Grey_Beard
    CLASSIFIED Member
    • Total Posts : 2233
    • Ribbons : 10
    Re: Changes in the Folding Teams landscape 2020/03/31 12:10:05 (permalink)
    Sorry I cannot help right now. I feel badly I have not participated in a while. I am building and rebuilding a number of rigs from moving. Needed to get some home infrastructure in first. I will be there soon, just not right now. Should be at some point in April.

notfordman
    Omnipotent Enthusiast
    • Total Posts : 10345
    • Ribbons : 28
    Re: Changes in the Folding Teams landscape 2020/03/31 12:13:50 (permalink)
    Glad you're busy Droug. It's nice to see all the production, though we need to kick it up a notch: BAM! That video brings back some memories, of some great battles. I did see someone mention : 

"TheMrminimario9 hours ago
    @EXTREME Overclocking Can't wait for part 2, I suppose! (the LTT folding team is currently holding a folding event, so our output it much higher than usual)"

So makes me wonder if they just mean COVID-19, or another type of contest. The pure numbers of {new folders} Linus and PCMR, made me wonder how and what. 
    notfordman
    Omnipotent Enthusiast
    • Total Posts : 10345
    • Ribbons : 28
    Re: Changes in the Folding Teams landscape 2020/03/31 12:15:59 (permalink)
    Hey Grey, don't worry about it between us and others jumping in "we got this"! Moving is always "fun" , it takes awhile sometimes to get unpacked and organized. Good to hear from you. 

Cordorb
    SSC Member
    • Total Posts : 635
    Re: Changes in the Folding Teams landscape 2020/03/31 16:57:45 (permalink)
    I did see we went down  (-1) in the top list and Linus went up   (+4) for the month.

I have been doing CPU  folding as I am not getting GPU work units and the other research still needs folding done.

un4givn85
    SSC Member
    • Total Posts : 903
    • Ribbons : 1
    Re: Changes in the Folding Teams landscape 2020/04/01 07:40:02 (permalink)
    I don't have any ins, but I can tell you that PCMR is from Reddit, they have a giant thread on there recruiting people in to folding.

Folding equipment - 3080 FTW3, 2070, 1660S, 1060 6G, 1050ti, 980 - All EVGA

ProDigit
    iCX Member
    • Total Posts : 465
    • Ribbons : 4
    Re: Changes in the Folding Teams landscape 2020/04/02 13:21:17 (permalink)
    What most people don't get, is that the default profile isn't helping out for covid 19 (for the most part).
    You'll be getting Wu's from a variety of projects.
    People think they're helping, fighting covid 19, but they're not.
    The results will be analyzed and a drug will be made well after covid 19 isn't an issue anymore.

The mountains of data will take months to sift through.
    Fah isn't engineered to find drugs. It's engineered to study proteins like covid19.

And in the meantime, fah is just reaping the benefits of the uninformed masses.

Also, IBM has set their summit to work, and have found 70 potential drugs that could help fight covid 19.
    They're the ones producing the results, not fah.
    post edited by ProDigit - 2020/04/02 13:23:49
    DustoMan
    iCX Member
    • Total Posts : 316
    • Ribbons : 0
    Re: Changes in the Folding Teams landscape 2020/04/03 11:36:52 (permalink)
    ProDigit
    What most people don't get, is that the default profile isn't helping out for covid 19 (for the most part).
    You'll be getting Wu's from a variety of projects.
    People think they're helping, fighting covid 19, but they're not.
    The results will be analyzed and a drug will be made well after covid 19 isn't an issue anymore.

The mountains of data will take months to sift through.
    Fah isn't engineered to find drugs. It's engineered to study proteins like covid19.

And in the meantime, fah is just reaping the benefits of the uninformed masses.

Also, IBM has set their summit to work, and have found 70 potential drugs that could help fight covid 19.
    They're the ones producing the results, not fah.

I thought COVID-19 WUs were getting priority over others. So IF they are available (And right now IF is a huge question due to the shortage of WUs), they will get run if you set your disease preference to "ANY".

Dusto
    dustoman (at) gmail (dot) com

turbomadman
    iCX Member
    • Total Posts : 460
    Re: Changes in the Folding Teams landscape 2020/04/03 15:21:44 (permalink)
    castrator86

Thanks castrator86 for the video link.  Can anyone point out the time when "bigadv" work units got phased out, lol.

I dropped out from folding about 3 months ago. My electricity rate here is in excess of .30+cents kwhr and had to shut down per order of the She General, lol. I did start folding again but only for 8 hrs a day (at work, we'll keep that on the down low) using my personal hotspot data and with a gtx 970 and a gtx 580 in which the latter just died. Yes it's folding peanuts but it is completing work units and ahead of deadline. I'm thinking of swapping my two 1080's at home with the 970 at work. That should help. Btw I am the original owner of the gtx 580 with an existing lifetime warranty. A RTX 2080 ti would be a perfect replacement wink wink, lol.

Maybe instead of selling components in B-Stock they could let folders use them for folding or at least offer components at an insane sale price IF USED FOR FOLDING. Perhaps the She General may compromise to that, lol. This is a crazy idea I know. If I was a business owner I wouldn't due that. I just blurted it out for wishful thinking and maybe food for thought. Apologies if I offended anyone. 

Overcome and adapt I will find ways of folding, lol.

QuintLeo
    SSC Member
    • Total Posts : 946
    • Ribbons : 3
    Re: Changes in the Folding Teams landscape 2020/04/08 04:16:04 (permalink)
    ProDigit

Folding has stated that they have moved EVERYTHING over to working on Covid as of 2-3 weeks ago as I recall.
    Definitely have given the Covid work units top priority, if there IS anything else left at this point.

PC Master Race is a very large gaming group, seems to be mostly Reddit based but some other presence in other places.

Linus Tech Tips has been explained.

AWS Fold seems to be AMAZON contributing (similar to CoreWeave but MUCH MUCH larger) a chunk of the stuff they normally use to run their Christmas Season massive load (and rent out the rest of the year).
    The HUGE cloud that proved to be pretty much IMMUNE to a DDOS attack during Christmas Season a few years back because their NORMAL traffic that time of year is a lot higher than the DDOS attackers could generate.

Default/Anonymous y'all should already know about.

The rest of the list (including you folks and us Team Curecoin folks) have been around a while but got a massive influx of returning folders and new folks.

Now that vorsholk has stopped his abuse, I'm returning to folding.
     I no longer MOO due to abuses by certain "whales" in the Gridcoin community - so I now work the Distributed.net project directly again.

kougar
    CLASSIFIED Member
    • Total Posts : 3034
    • Ribbons : 22
    Re: Changes in the Folding Teams landscape 2020/04/08 05:12:48 (permalink)
    Shame, team 0 is gonna pass us today. At least it's a good problem to have!

Have water, will cool. 
    GTS81
    Superclocked Member
    • Total Posts : 130
    Re: Changes in the Folding Teams landscape 2020/04/08 07:57:55 (permalink)
    TeamEVGA sounds so right that when I decided to start folding, I believe this is the team to join and not LTT/ PCMR. They are mostly social media people and I don't do social media.

ProDigit
    iCX Member
    • Total Posts : 465
    • Ribbons : 4
    Re: Changes in the Folding Teams landscape 2020/04/09 02:55:36 (permalink)
    castrator86

Nice!
    They forgot to add Banano, a mining group, that started bottom low, and almost hit 10th place in just 4 weeks time!

I bet a lot of older, inactive users, with upgraded hardware joined.
    kerryd
    SSC Member
    • Total Posts : 997
    Re: Changes in the Folding Teams landscape 2020/04/09 07:17:11 (permalink)
    This was on my face book feed . I think EVGA should do same thing .

Want to help join the fight against COVID-19? You can contribute towards current research efforts while practicing social distancing with #FoldingAtHome!
    Join the Micro Center community in Folding@Home team #257944!

Jump to:
  • Back to Mobile