EVGA

Can't figure out why my X58 is throttling my i7 920 2.67Ghz?

Author
deepmojoman
  • Total Posts : 11
  • Reward points : 0
  • Ribbons : 0
2021/08/19 12:49:16 (permalink)
About a week ago my computer experienced a pretty big crash: it started with a BSOD (Driver Power State Failure) that, initially, I thought was due to a bad HD, which I promptly uninstalled. However my computer continued to operate radically slow, so it was clear that something else was going on.

After hours of troubleshooting and internet research I figured out that the main problem was probably that my CPU was overheating (by this time I had checked CPU temp in the E-LEET app and it showed 71-75 Celsius). Once I opened up the case my suspicions were correct: my thermal paste had completely dried up. So cleaned my fan and CPU, re-applied paste, re-assembled and started up my computer and all SEEMED well, but for one issue: for the next two days until now my system is exhibiting some really weird throttling.

If the computer has been off for a while (like overnight), and then I start it up, every CPU monitoring app I have-and Task Manager-will show that I'm running stably at 2.7Ghz, with 1.2 Core Voltage. All will generally operate the way my system has run for months, if not years. But if my system has been up and running for a while, and the temperatures have had a chance to go up to the 50-65 Celsius range, and then I do an immediate Shutdown or Restart, then once my system is up again my clock speeds will become pretty wildly unstable. They can swing anywhere from 1.2Ghz-2.2Ghz, with the Core Voltage going from .9v-1.1v. Never, in this post Shutdown/Restart state, will it even go up to-much less stabilize at-the nominal 2.67Ghz clock speed of the chip.

The throttling seems to be attempting to pro-actively ward off any overheating-whether or not that overheating ever comes close to appearing. I can definitiely feel a performance difference in my work: video editing in DaVinci Resolve becomes really stuttery and unstable with this throttling, whereas when the chip is running at it's nominal clock rating, the editing feels exactly the way it always has: snappy and stable.

So would anyone have any idea of what's going on with my system, and how I could cure it?

Mobo: EVGA X58 (Model: 132-BL-E758 Rev. 1.1)
CPU:  Xeon X5675
BIOS: E758 83
RAM: 24GB, 1600 Mhz
GPU: Gigabyte GeForce GTX 750 Ti 4 GB

5 Replies Related Threads

bob16314
    CLASSIFIED ULTRA Member
    • Total Posts : 7892
    • Ribbons : 693
    Re: Can't figure out why my X58 is throttling my i7 920 2.67Ghz? 2021/08/20 09:00:33 (permalink)
    In the Windows Control Panel -> Power Options, I would set it to High preformance rather than the default of Balanced (recommeded) or Power saver to be sure that Windows isn't doing the throttling..If it doesn't throttle anymore on High peformance, then it's Windows doing it's normal throttling thing..Get Windows throttling out of the way first and roll from there.

EIST (Enhanced Intel SpeedStep Technology), or just simply Intel SpeedStep in the CPU Power Options in the Mobo BIOS will cause throttling too..You could also disable that.

* Corsair Obsidian 450D Mid-Tower - Airflow Edition * ASUS ROG Maximus X Hero (Wi-Fi AC) * Intel i7-8700K @ 5.4GHz * 16GB G.SKILL Trident Z 4133MHz * Crucial MX500 M.2 1TB * 2x WD Caviar Black 500GB * Seasonic M12 II 750W * Corsair H115i Elite Capellix 280mm * EVGA GTX 760 SC * Win7 Home/Win10 Home/Win10 Pro * 

"Whatever it takes, as long as it works" - Me

deepmojoman
    Re: Can't figure out why my X58 is throttling my i7 920 2.67Ghz? 2021/08/20 09:41:20 (permalink)
    bob16314
    In the Windows Control Panel -> Power Options, I would set it to High preformance rather than the default of Balanced (recommeded) or Power saver to be sure that Windows isn't doing the throttling..If it doesn't throttle anymore on High peformance, then it's Windows doing it's normal throttling thing..Get Windows throttling out of the way first and roll from there.

Already done, but from what I can see, the throttling issue remains.

bob16314
    EIST (Enhanced Intel SpeedStep Technology), or just simply Intel SpeedStep in the CPU Power Options in the Mobo BIOS will cause throttling too..You could also disable that.

I have heard something about SpeedStep, but I haven't tried this suggestion yet, probably because I did not yet understand it well enough. I'm going to try this out, and I'll give a status update. Thanks so much for the help.

rjohnson11
    EVGA Forum Moderator
    • Total Posts : 86571
    • Ribbons : 75
    Re: Can't figure out why my X58 is throttling my i7 920 2.67Ghz? 2021/08/20 09:45:18 (permalink)
    Keep us informed. I am interested to see if disabling speedstep resolves this.

AMD Ryzen 9 5950X,  Corsair Mp600 Pro M.2 2TB, 128GB DDR4  Crosshair VIII Hero, Asus RX 6900 XT Associate Code: H5U80QBH6BH0AXF

deepmojoman
    Re: Can't figure out why my X58 is throttling my i7 920 2.67Ghz? 2021/08/20 11:49:52 (permalink)
    So: I disabled SpeedStep and, at first glance, I will say something positive does seem to be occurring.

Over the last 2-3 days the general train of events would be, as said before: If the CPU is started up from a long period of inactivity (like having been shutdown overnight, as a for instance) then it would start up, and remain at what looks to be it's native clock speed of 2.77Ghz, with the Maximum Frequency gauge in the Processess sub tab, of the CPU tab in the Resource Monitor reading 103% (assumedly 2.77 is 3% above the chip's nominal speed of 2.67Ghz). And-interestingly-I can Hibernate and re-activate from that Hibernation state multiple times, with the CPU returning online to that same exact state.

But if I were to Restart/Shutdown and re-boot after the CPU had been active for awhile, it would be a completely different story: even if the CPU had basically been sitting idle, with no loads to speak of to deal with, nor any above average temperatures to endure, once the CPU would come back online then-without fail-it's clock speed would be throttled to anywhere from 1.5Ghz to 2.1Ghz-most times settling on the lower side of the range and just staying there.

After the disabling of SpeedStop I have observed a rock steady clock speed of 2.77Ghz after a Shutdown and a Restart. Monitoring the CPU gauge in the Performance tab of the Task Manager shows normal spiking of activity with the opening and closing of apps, and when I'm engaging in generally processor-heavy activities (like scrubbing through video, for example), but the spikes are as temporary as would be expected, and my core temperatures, as shown with Core Temp have yet to go past yellow into red. EVGA E-LEET Tuning Utility is showing the CPU temp at 65-73 Celsius.

So thus far, my rig seems to have returned to behaving the way I've generally remembered it to behave for years. I will continue to keep a SUPER Eagle eye on my temps-for some time-until it is completely clear to me that SpeedStop was the issue, and your suggestion to disable it was the solution-Thanks so much.

P.S.: during the dark days of this crisis (Wednesday?) I actually bought a Xeon x5675 that is on its way to me, thinking at the time that my CPU had just been heated to irrevocable instability (and that may yet turn out correct-who knows?) So I am thinking that when it gets here I am still considering plopping it into my mobo: 2 more cores, 3.06Ghz clock speed. Can you think of any reason why I shouldn't.

Thanks again.

comeNtakeit
    • Total Posts : 21
    Re: Can't figure out why my X58 is throttling my i7 920 2.67Ghz? 2021/09/14 20:50:07 (permalink)
    Believe it requires the latest 83 bios. If the revision number is 1.1 then it also needs the board modification. That is my understanding with zero experience so take it with a grain of salt.

The later revisions may only need the 83 bios?
    Unsure really
    Jump to:
  • Back to Mobile