Page: 12 > Showing page 1 of 2
Author
black_falcon120
  • Total Posts : 35
  • Reward points : 0
  • Ribbons : 0
2020/08/07 09:57:50 (permalink)
Hi All, 

I just RMAed my EVGA 650w G2. I had a previous thread on the forum showing it was faulty. 

Anyway, the replacement arrived two days ago, it took a while to get working, and it involved resetting my CMOS.  Anyway, I got it working, the next day, I started it up, and downloaded an update for a game, and then it suddenly black screened from the loading screen.  I was a bit frustrated at this point, anyway, I ran a series of tests including the included psu tester, which it passed. But still, it felt exactly like the previous issue, with the faulty psu as the ethernet cable lights were on, and there was a slight move of the cpu fan when I pressed the power button.  I therefore, unplugged everything from the psu (but not from the mobo) apart from the 20 pin, on the theory that it might be cpu related and pushed the power button.  My graphics card immediately caught fire. Although the fire is out now, I'm still slightly in shock.  I don't know what caused the fire, mobo, psu or Gpu, or if it was my fault. Could someone let me know whether I should RMA the RMA, or if this is my fault.  If anyone could let me know which components are likely to be safe for reuse.  I am tempted to run a monitor directly from the motherboard but I am not sure if it safe. 

Picture of my GPU now: https:// cdn. discordapp. com/attachments/600461647072591909/741326090978590800/image0.jpg 

Best,
post edited by black_falcon120 - 2020/08/07 10:01:11

36 Replies Related Threads

sparetimepc
    CLASSIFIED Member
    • Total Posts : 2413
    • Ribbons : 27
    Re: Can someone give me some advice? 2020/08/07 11:06:28 (permalink)
    This kinda makes me think you might of had a different part of your system causing the problem even with the original power supply that was RMA'd  So if you use your power supply tester the power supply you have right now is working ok?

Cool GTX
    EVGA Forum Moderator
    • Total Posts : 30996
    • Ribbons : 122
    Re: Can someone give me some advice? 2020/08/07 11:13:48 (permalink)
    Hello black_falcon120

Sorry to see your system is having all the issues.

1) PSU does have safety circuits that can shut it down or stop it from starting ... if an issues occurs ... so, I do not know the root cause of the failure you mention in your post.  --> Was the failure to start a symptom of the GPU having an issue ?

I'd call EVGA and get input from them as to your Next step in the process.

Testing is the only way to determine if a component is damaged after a close inspection for obvious issues

2) If It was mine, Id do a careful inspection of: MB, Case, GPU "fingers" that go into the MB PCIe slot

3) If only the GPU is damaged as shown in your picture --> & None of the PCIe "fingers" that plug into the MB shown sign of arcing or other damage.  No arcing on front or back of MB.........  then you might try the CPU's iGPU & see if your PC can safely boot.  I'd also unplug everything from the Case except the start button

--> You are taking a risk of causing More damage to your PC, if you miss damage or it is the PSU

Have a list of your Hardware handy when contacting EVGA, post it in this thread could be helpful

MB brand, Model,  Version & BIOS info

CPU

RAM

PSU:  EVGA 650w G2

Did you build the PC ?

What is your general experience level ?  first PC build, .................. built many PC this last year & previously (gives us an idea of what detail you may need)

Learn your way around the EVGA Forums, Rules & limits on new accounts Ultimate Self-Starter Thread For New Members

I am a Volunteer Moderator - not an EVGA employee

https://foldingathome.org -->become a citizen scientist and contribute your compute power to help fight global health threats

RTX Project EVGA X99 FTWK Nibbler EVGA X99 Classified EVGA 3080Ti FTW3 Ultra

Cool GTX
    EVGA Forum Moderator
    Re: Can someone give me some advice? 2020/08/07 11:15:41 (permalink)
    Going to Try & move this to the Warranty section

Learn your way around the EVGA Forums, Rules & limits on new accounts Ultimate Self-Starter Thread For New Members

https://foldingathome.org -->become a citizen scientist and contribute your compute power to help fight global health threats

black_falcon120
    Re: Can someone give me some advice? 2020/08/07 11:19:03 (permalink)
    sparetimepc
    This kinda makes me think you might of had a different part of your system causing the problem even with the original power supply that was RMA'd  So if you use your power supply tester the power supply you have right now is working ok?

Possibly, but the original was definitely faulty, as it failed the psu tester.  The problem went from the cpu and case fans would spin up for 10 sec, to only the cpu fan would move perhaps 2mm.  

Just checked, the psu still works, but I can't see how one 20 pin connector is enough to cause literal flames to come out of back of my GPU's pcb. 
    black_falcon120
    Re: Can someone give me some advice? 2020/08/07 11:29:17 (permalink)
    Cool GTX
    Hello black_falcon120

Sorry to see your system is having all the issues.

1) PSU does have safety circuits that can shut it down or stop it from starting ... if an issues occurs ... so, I do not know the root cause of the failure you mention in your post.  --> Was the failure to start a symptom of the GPU having an issue ?

I'd call EVGA and get input from them as to your Next step in the process.

Testing is the only way to determine if a component is damaged after a close inspection for obvious issues

2) If It was mine, Id do a careful inspection of: MB, Case, GPU "fingers" that go into the MB PCIe slot

3) If only the GPU is damaged as shown in your picture --> & None of the PCIe "fingers" that plug into the MB shown sign of arcing or other damage.  No arcing on front or back of MB.........  then you might try the CPU's iGPU & see if your PC can safely boot.  I'd also unplug everything from the Case except the start button

--> You are taking a risk of causing More damage to your PC, if you miss damage or it is the PSU

Have a list of your Hardware handy when contacting EVGA, post it in this thread could be helpful

MB brand, Model,  Version & BIOS info

CPU

RAM

PSU:  EVGA 650w G2

Did you build the PC ?

What is your general experience level ?  first PC build, .................. built many PC this last year & previously (gives us an idea of what detail you may need)

Thank you, my specs are: 

i7 6700
    16gb RAM 
    I did not build the pc, the full specs are here: https://support.hp.com/gb-en/document/c04818319 

The only alterations to it I made, was adding a Samsung SSD and adding the EVGA PSU which replaced a 400w if I remember correctly and started sparking. Just to clarify, the only EVGA thing in the case is the PSU, and the 980TI is a founders edition.

I have some skill, especially after my issues, I have: replaced a psu, taken out the GPU and RAM multiple times, but I have not built a whole PC. 

Looking at the GPU, the fingers appear fine, apart from one strand of the 'trace' appears to have disappeared on the edge, but I don't think that's a big problem as it did boot yesterday... 
    Thank you for your help. 
    Cool GTX
    Going to Try & move this to the Warranty section

At the moment, I'm also interested in what is safe for me to do, as well as the warranty issue, will I get that help there? 
    post edited by black_falcon120 - 2020/08/07 11:34:09
    Cool GTX
    EVGA Forum Moderator
    Re: Can someone give me some advice? 2020/08/07 11:43:09 (permalink)
    sorry I'm having trouble posting on the Forums today - other members have mention the same "Forums issues"

Did you Replace EVERY wire when you changed the PSU ---> Using Only the cables that came with that PSU ?

You see, not Every PSU has the same outputs & the cable set is "custom" to that PSU design ... so the correct Voltage & ground connections happen @ the device end

Note: yes one of the contact "fingers" on the card edge that goes into the PCIe bus on the MB is shorter that the rest of them -- this is normal

black_falcon120
    Re: Can someone give me some advice? 2020/08/07 11:49:59 (permalink)
    Cool GTX
    sorry I'm having trouble posting on the Forums today - other members have mention the same "Forums issues"

Did you Replace EVERY wire when you changed the PSU ---> Using Only the cables that came with that PSU ?

You see, not Every PSU has the same outputs & the cable set is "custom" to that PSU design ... so the correct Voltage & ground connections happen @ the device end

Note: yes one of the contact "fingers" on the card edge that goes into the PCIe bus on the MB is shorter that the rest of them -- this is normal

The only PSU cables I have came with the PSU originally, when EVGA replaced it, they were very specific that they were only replacing the pass, not any of its accompanying cables.  So they are still the same and they are being used with the exact same model (EVGA G2 650w).

thank you for clarifying, I'm still slightly in shock over seeing a literal flame on my GPU...

Also, I had a look at the motherboard, and there appears to be maybe only a small burn mark on the motherboard, it is very small, and I can't tell if it is a burn mark or not.

edit: here's the image https://cdn.discordapp.com/attachments/600461647072591909/741367744666271815/image0.jpg 

The burn mark is to the right of the lower cut in the metal thing. 
    post edited by black_falcon120 - 2020/08/07 11:52:18
    bob16314
    Omnipotent Enthusiast
    • Total Posts : 8048
    • Ribbons : 761
    Re: Can someone give me some advice? 2020/08/07 11:57:16 (permalink)
    It's not unheard of for those video cards (GTX 980Ti) to short out or even catch on fire/burn up..Try/get another card and everything will hopefully be fine..In the meantime just connect your monitor to the motherboard and use the  Integrated Processor Graphics the i7-6700 has.

* Corsair Obsidian 450D Mid-Tower - Airflow Edition * ASUS ROG Maximus X Hero (Wi-Fi AC) * Intel i7-8700K @ 5.0 GHz * 16GB G.SKILL Trident Z 4133MHz * Sabrent Rocket 1TB M.2 SSD * WD Black 500 GB HDD * Seasonic M12 II 750W * Corsair H115i Elite Capellix 280mm * EVGA GTX 760 SC * Win7 Home/Win10 Home * 

"Whatever it takes, as long as it works" - Me

sparetimepc
    CLASSIFIED Member
    Re: Can someone give me some advice? 2020/08/07 12:16:48 (permalink)
    black_falcon120
    sparetimepc

Possibly, but the original was definitely faulty, as it failed the psu tester.  The problem went from the cpu and case fans would spin up for 10 sec, to only the cpu fan would move perhaps 2mm.  

Just checked, the psu still works, but I can't see how one 20 pin connector is enough to cause literal flames to come out of back of my GPU's pcb. 

Yeah i meant i was just wondering if another component took out your power supply that had to be sent in, or was it a brand new one that was faulty from the get go? Yeah this part i circled does not look right to me. Those traces are leading directly to the PCIe slot.
    post edited by sparetimepc - 2020/08/07 12:25:31

Attached Image(s)

black_falcon120
    Re: Can someone give me some advice? 2020/08/07 14:33:26 (permalink)
    sparetimepc
    black_falcon120
    sparetimepc

Yeah i meant i was just wondering if another component took out your power supply that had to be sent in, or was it a brand new one that was faulty from the get go? Yeah this part i circled does not look right to me. Those traces are leading directly to the PCIe slot.

Yes, that bit you circled appears to be a burn mark in person, which is what I was trying to point out but it turned out I described it badly.... Sorry for the slow reply, the forum didn't appear to like me. It is about an inch from where the fire happened. The PSU was bought 3 years ago, so I seriously don't know.

bob16314
    It's not unheard of for those video cards (GTX 980Ti) to short out or even catch on fire/burn up..Try/get another card and everything will hopefully be fine..In the meantime just connect your monitor to the motherboard and use the  Integrated Processor Graphics the i7-6700 has.

I mean, the problem is how do I tell if it's safe?  I wanted an ampere GPU when they come out, and I don't want to spend £500 on a new GPU which goes up in smoke immediately. 
    post edited by black_falcon120 - 2020/08/07 14:36:28
    sparetimepc
    CLASSIFIED Member
    Re: Can someone give me some advice? 2020/08/07 15:37:28 (permalink)
    I believe if it was me i would be getting that motherboard out of there, those traces are for sure damaged and if thats your top PCIe slot on the board i wouldn't even think about tossing it i would just do it.

black_falcon120
    Re: Can someone give me some advice? 2020/08/07 16:01:28 (permalink)
    sparetimepc
    I believe if it was me i would be getting that motherboard out of there, those traces are for sure damaged and if thats your top PCIe slot on the board i wouldn't even think about tossing it i would just do it.

True, if I upgrade the only potentially salvageable bit is the psu, the case is a classic pre-built, the cpu is outdated, the ram is 2133, and the GPU is well... 

I am unsure if keeping that psu is a good idea, as it could be responsible for frying my motherboard and GPU, the fact I could see proper flames  on the GPU PCB suggests it isn't worth the risk, and it did feel like a psu fault when it bricked for the second time.  Also, the symptoms were different from both PSUs, namely one passed testing, one didn't and the behaviour of the cpu fan, so I'm scared to reuse it, suggesting there might be a fault in it. No one here seems to be advocating keeping it (apart from Bob) and I suspect if it turns out to work and I've RMAed it for a second time, I'll have to pay list prices for the new one EVGA send. 

I was hoping that this psu would at least fix it or failing that delay enough for me to build a Ryzen 4k & ampere build, potentially limping along with an iGPU for a month, but the advice here seems to be that's a questionable idea. I'm not sure whether I can use the i7's iGPU, reuse the psu or wait for ampere... 
    sparetimepc
    CLASSIFIED Member
    Re: Can someone give me some advice? 2020/08/07 16:08:39 (permalink)
    If your psu is working with the psu tester chances are its ok, but i guess at a minimum test would be unplug everything from the motherboard you can, just use 1 memory stick if possible, cpu, and igpu if you can and only one hard drive and see what happens. You don't really have much to loose now at this point.

black_falcon120
    Re: Can someone give me some advice? 2020/08/07 16:34:03 (permalink)
    sparetimepc
    If your psu is working with the psu tester chances are its ok, but i guess at a minimum test would be unplug everything from the motherboard you can, just use 1 memory stick if possible, cpu, and igpu if you can and only one hard drive and see what happens. You don't really have much to loose now at this point.

What would I be looking for? it was dead before, why would it boot now? 

I'm on UK time, so I will have to reply in the morning... 
    sparetimepc
    CLASSIFIED Member
    Re: Can someone give me some advice? 2020/08/08 01:18:26 (permalink)
    black_falcon120
    sparetimepc

I'm sorry, i just meant by doing that it would be a way of making sure your power supply was working properly and you would know your cpu was good as well. But after seeing the link for what your computer is i think it might just be time for a bigger better upgraded pc all the way around and you now have the reasoning and excuse to do it. Build on my friend.

black_falcon120
    Re: Can someone give me some advice? 2020/08/08 02:41:10 (permalink)
    sparetimepc
    black_falcon120
    sparetimepc

I'm sorry, i just meant by doing that it would be a way of making sure your power supply was working properly and you would know your cpu was good as well. But after seeing the link for what your computer is i think it might just be time for a bigger better upgraded pc all the way around and you now have the reasoning and excuse to do it. Build on my friend.

True, but I was hoping to be able to use it until ampere and Vermeer were launched... 

btw, I tried this using a HDMI cable from my blu-ray player.  The screen took HDMI outputs from my work laptop through a USB C adaptor, but for some reason not from the HDMI sockets in my mother board, it appeared to work otherwise though, as in the peripherals RGB turned on, and the keyboard 'locks' all lit up when when the buttons were pressed.  Would buying a better HDMI cable solve the problem?  For reference I have a Samsung Odyssey G7 27" monitor, which can be temperamental about which inputs it accepts, but I don't have any other HDMI enabled monitors, as my other monitor (AOC 2460PG) doesn't have a HDMI port. 
    sparetimepc
    CLASSIFIED Member
    Re: Can someone give me some advice? 2020/08/08 03:34:42 (permalink)
    black_falcon120
    sparetimepc
    black_falcon120
    sparetimepc

True, but I was hoping to be able to use it until ampere and Vermeer were launched... 

btw, I tried this using a HDMI cable from my blu-ray player.  The screen took HDMI outputs from my work laptop through a USB C adaptor, but for some reason not from the HDMI sockets in my mother board, it appeared to work otherwise though, as in the peripherals RGB turned on, and the keyboard 'locks' all lit up when when the buttons were pressed.  Would buying a better HDMI cable solve the problem?  For reference I have a Samsung Odyssey G7 27" monitor, which can be temperamental about which inputs it accepts, but I don't have any other HDMI enabled monitors, as my other monitor (AOC 2460PG) doesn't have a HDMI port. 

Your saying the hdmi works on your blue ray player in your pc or an external blue ray player?  Have you gone into your bios and made sure you have enabled the igpu as the default since your not using a seperate gpu now?

black_falcon120
    Re: Can someone give me some advice? 2020/08/08 03:43:36 (permalink)
    sparetimepc
    black_falcon120
    sparetimepc
    black_falcon120
    sparetimepc

Your saying the hdmi works on your blue ray player in your pc or an external blue ray player?  Have you gone into your bios and made sure you have enabled the igpu as the default since your not using a seperate gpu now?

Sorry, I wasn't clear: 

• Blu ray player => TV - works I think, I haven't used it for a while
    • Work Laptop Usb C => Adapter => HDMI cable => monitor - Works
    • Desktop => Monitor - Doesn't work. though the screen does appear to go from black to black with a backlight when it is plugged in. 

How do I change my BIOS settings, and is that possible without a working monitor? 
    post edited by black_falcon120 - 2020/08/08 03:56:10
    sparetimepc
    CLASSIFIED Member
    Re: Can someone give me some advice? 2020/08/08 03:59:52 (permalink)
    Possibly, do you even see any kind of an image on the monitor when booting? Usually you would start tapping the delete button as soon as you push the power button and it would take you into the bios screen but some motherboards are different. I can't even find an actual manual for that motherboard anywhere but here is one of the motherboards itself on amazon.   https://www.amazon.com/HP-Thimphu-Intel-Motherboard-799926-001/dp/B01MR0VIY8
    post edited by sparetimepc - 2020/08/08 04:05:53

black_falcon120
    Re: Can someone give me some advice? 2020/08/08 04:15:44 (permalink)
    sparetimepc
    Possibly, do you even see any kind of an image on the monitor when booting? Usually you would start tapping the delete button as soon as you push the power button and it would take you into the bios screen but some motherboards are different. I can't even find an actual manual for that motherboard anywhere but here is one of the motherboards itself on amazon.   https://www.amazon.com/HP-Thimphu-Intel-Motherboard-799926-001/dp/B01MR0VIY8

Yes, that motherboard seems very bespoke, I googled HP in general and got a BIOS, after hitting the esc key repeatedly (https://support.hp.com/gb-en/document/bph07110), giving six options, 

f1 - system information
    f2 - system diagnostics
    f9 - boot device options 
    f10 - BIOS setup
    F11 system recovery 
    f12- network boot

which is it? 
    sparetimepc
    CLASSIFIED Member
    Re: Can someone give me some advice? 2020/08/08 04:27:50 (permalink)
    more then likely in the bios f10 setup would be where it shows the options for graphics somewhere.

black_falcon120
    Re: Can someone give me some advice? 2020/08/08 04:38:13 (permalink)
    sparetimepc
    more then likely in the bios f10 setup would be where it shows the options for graphics somewhere.

thank you! is it just the F10 key? It doesn't seem to register any keystrokes.
    sparetimepc
    CLASSIFIED Member
    Re: Can someone give me some advice? 2020/08/08 04:44:58 (permalink)
    well once in the bios you would hit f10 or during bootup you would tap the f10 button instead of the escape button i think

black_falcon120
    Re: Can someone give me some advice? 2020/08/08 04:47:35 (permalink)
    sparetimepc
    well once in the bios you would hit f10 or during bootup you would tap the f10 button instead of the escape button i think

I'm now into the setup utility, but I appear to lose the ability to input commands as soon as a picture appears on screen, the keyboard is plugged directly into the motherboard, so I'm not sure what is going on. 
    sparetimepc
    CLASSIFIED Member
    Re: Can someone give me some advice? 2020/08/08 04:54:12 (permalink)
    black_falcon120
    sparetimepc

I'm now into the setup utility, but I appear to lose the ability to input commands as soon as a picture appears on screen, the keyboard is plugged directly into the motherboard, so I'm not sure what is going on. 

You can't even use the arrows up down or enter  or tab  keys ? Is your keyboard even lit up if it has lights?  I have had that happen before also and ended up having to use the older style keyboard with the standard plug instead of usb.
    post edited by sparetimepc - 2020/08/08 04:56:36

black_falcon120
    Re: Can someone give me some advice? 2020/08/08 04:55:46 (permalink)
    sparetimepc
    black_falcon120
    sparetimepc

You can't even use the arrows up down or enter  or tab  keys ?

Arrow keys definitely not, I'll try tab in a second, I am half way through a CMOS reset, so I may be a minute replying
    ty_ger07
    Insert Custom Title Here
    • Total Posts : 21173
    • Ribbons : 270
    Re: Can someone give me some advice? 2020/08/08 04:58:46 (permalink)
    black_falcon120
    I therefore, unplugged everything from the psu (but not from the mobo) apart from the 20 pin, on the theory that it might be cpu related and pushed the power button.  My graphics card immediately caught fire.

Although those video cards are prone to burn up even when used properly, you are the second person this week to have it happen coinciding with the video card power cable not being connected. In that video card thread, it was noted by someone else something like 'yup, they burn up when the auxiliary power isn't connected'. So, apparently it is a known condition to avoid.

HeavyHemi
    james4083
    Oopsie - re-seated everything and booted without the two 8 pin connectors. Must have allowed the machine to boot without over-current protection kicking in, unfortunately the card immediately let the smoke out.
    Looks like it's toast - looking for a replacement now.
    Best of luck to you, hopefully not as disappointing as my ending!

This sequence seems to be the key to letting the magic smoke out sometimes. I've seen several examples of this with a 1080 smoke checked without the PCIe power in and just using slot power.
    post edited by ty_ger07 - 2020/08/08 05:01:05

ASRock Z77 • Intel Core i7 3770K • EVGA GTX 1080 • Samsung 850 Pro • Seasonic PRIME 600W Titanium
    My EVGA Score: 1546 • Zero Associates Points • I don't shill

black_falcon120
    Re: Can someone give me some advice? 2020/08/08 05:06:02 (permalink)
    sparetimepc
    black_falcon120
    sparetimepc

You can't even use the arrows up down or enter  or tab  keys ? Is your keyboard even lit up if it has lights?  I have had that happen before also and ended up having to use the older style keyboard with the standard plug instead of usb.

Hmm, the CMOS reset appears to have done nothing, it's still not registering either the arrow keys or the tab key..

ty_ger07
    black_falcon120
    I therefore, unplugged everything from the psu (but not from the mobo) apart from the 20 pin, on the theory that it might be cpu related and pushed the power button.  My graphics card immediately caught fire.

Although those video cards are prone to burn up even when used properly, you are the second person this week to have it happen coinciding with the video card power cable not being connected. In that video card thread, it was noted by someone else something like 'yup, they burn up when the auxiliary power isn't connected'. So, apparently it is a known condition to avoid.

HeavyHemi
    james4083
    Oopsie - re-seated everything and booted without the two 8 pin connectors. Must have allowed the machine to boot without over-current protection kicking in, unfortunately the card immediately let the smoke out.
    Looks like it's toast - looking for a replacement now.
    Best of luck to you, hopefully not as disappointing as my ending!

This sequence seems to be the key to letting the magic smoke out sometimes. I've seen several examples of this with a 1080 smoke checked without the PCIe power in and just using slot power.

Ah ok thank you, I should remember that for the future. I should possibly have known this before, it just seemed to be a sensible bug check to do at the time... 

Also one interesting thing I have noticed, is that without touching the BIOS menu, I don't think it boots properly because when I turn it off, I only have to tap the power button, rather than hold for three seconds... 
    post edited by black_falcon120 - 2020/08/08 05:07:14
    sparetimepc
    CLASSIFIED Member
    Re: Can someone give me some advice? 2020/08/08 05:32:44 (permalink)
    i guess i missed it where it was booted without the gpu power connections being plugged in.

Page: 12 > Showing page 1 of 2
    Jump to:
  • Back to Mobile