EVGA

AnsweredCable Mods compatibility question

Author
Zomgtuberun
  • Total Posts : 68
  • Reward points : 0
  • Ribbons : 0
2021/03/04 14:43:16 (permalink)
Hi all. As I am closing in on my build with next week's drop of K|NGP|Ns, I am also zooming in closer to ordering the rest of my hardware. I am going to buy the G2 1300W PSU to power the KINGPIN and my 5950x (https://www.evga.com/products/product.aspx?pn=120-G2-1300-XR). Now, I am aware that it comes with its own set of cables for the MOBO/CPU/SATA/PCI-E, but I want to replace those black or red colored cables with white-colored from Cable Mods (https://www.newegg.ca/p/1W7-0049-000R4?Description=cable%20mods%20white&cm_re=cable_mods%20white-_-1W7-0049-000R4-_-Product). I know that in my past I've had some PCI-E cables be incompatible inbetween PSUs and wanted to make sure that those CableMod cables would fit the EVGA G2. Can anyone with experience in this field confirm that those would work together ?

EVGA fan since the GTX 500's series, 2 580's SLI
2 780's SLI
2 1080's SLI
RIP nVidia SLI Driver support jan. 2021, so future owner of a RTX 3090 K|NGP|N
Zomgtuberun
Re: Cable Mods compatibility question 2021/03/04 14:45:57 (permalink)
I also want to get the Lian Li Strimer RGB cables (https://www.newegg.ca/p/1W7-007Y-00042?Description=lian%20li%20strimmer%20pro&cm_re=lian_li%20strimmer%20pro-_-1W7-007Y-00042-_-Product) and (https://www.newegg.ca/p/1W7-00BS-00006?Description=lian%20li%20strimmer%20pro&cm_re=lian_li%20strimmer%20pro-_-1W7-00BS-00006-_-Product x3)
and wanted to know exactly how those would work; do they fully replace the original cables or are they an extension ? From one of the videos I watched on them, they looked like they were clipped ON the OG cables which is why I think I need both the white cable and the RGB 'extension' ?

2 780's SLI
2 1080's SLI
Hoggle
EVGA Forum Moderator
  • Total Posts : 10103
  • Ribbons : 4
Re: Cable Mods compatibility question 2021/03/04 15:17:52 (permalink)
I would talk to Cable Mods but keep in mind use of third party cables would be against the warranty. Not to say you would have a problem but that if you did then it would be Cable Mods that would be responsible for a failed cable.

Use an Associates Code & SAVE 5% - 10% on your purchase. Just click on the associates banner to save, or enter the associates code at checkout on your next purchase. If you choose to use my code I want to personally say "Thank You" for using it. 

Zomgtuberun
Re: Cable Mods compatibility question 2021/03/04 16:07:41 (permalink)
Hoggle
I would talk to Cable Mods but keep in mind use of third party cables would be against the warranty. Not to say you would have a problem but that if you did then it would be Cable Mods that would be responsible for a failed cable.

I understand. I wish EVGA had a white cable set, I'd buy it in a heart beat.

2 780's SLI
2 1080's SLI
TheDoctorCMG
iCX Member
  • Total Posts : 345
  • Ribbons : 2
Re: Cable Mods compatibility question 2021/03/04 16:26:56 (permalink)
From what I understand, due to the capacitors hardwired to the EVGA stock cables, you would end up with some slightly less efficient power going to your components if you switch to CableMod. That doesn't mean they are incompatible, as even EVGA's own sleeved cables do not have these capacitors inline, but if you have a PSU malfunction and you admit to using Cablemod Cables, then EVGA may not warranty your power supply. So it's technically a gamble, but I don't think it's anything to worry about especially if you are going for overkill on the PSU compared to what will be in your system since the less efficient cables "shouldn't" hurt anything. I'd only really be weary if you were trying to go for the bare minimum PSU spec on top of adding custom cables. 

Having said that, the link you provided in your OP is for Corsair cables. Those will likely have a different pinout than what EVGA uses and is definitely not advisable. CableMod makes EVGA specific cables, I would go to their website and have a browse. 

As for the Lian-li RGB cable, that should basically be a 24 pin ATX extension with the RGB strips that will clip onto the proprietary cable comb installed on the adapter. It technically should work since the motherboard side of the 24 pin connection should be standardized so all you would be doing is adding resistance to the connection which shouldn't cause issues overall. 

CPU: I7 7820x @ 4.7ghz
Mobo: Gigabyte Gaming 7 Pro x299
Mem: Corsair Vengeance LP 3000mhz
PSU: EVGA 850 Supernova G3
GPU: FE Nvidia RTX 3090
Case: Corsair 5000d Airflow
CPU Cooler: EKWB AIO 360 Elite
Grey_Beard
CLASSIFIED Member
  • Total Posts : 2233
  • Ribbons : 10
Re: Cable Mods compatibility question 2021/03/04 19:38:48 (permalink)
Those are the wrong cables. You need to find the Series E cables. Those are for EVGA PSUs. Not sure there are white sets, but you can go directly to the Cablemods website and they will make a set in any length and in any color.

Zomgtuberun
Re: Cable Mods compatibility question 2021/03/05 08:25:50 (permalink)
slaywhitey1326
From what I understand, due to the capacitors hardwired to the EVGA stock cables, you would end up with some slightly less efficient power going to your components if you switch to CableMod. That doesn't mean they are incompatible, as even EVGA's own sleeved cables do not have these capacitors inline, but if you have a PSU malfunction and you admit to using Cablemod Cables, then EVGA may not warranty your power supply. So it's technically a gamble, but I don't think it's anything to worry about especially if you are going for overkill on the PSU compared to what will be in your system since the less efficient cables "shouldn't" hurt anything. I'd only really be weary if you were trying to go for the bare minimum PSU spec on top of adding custom cables. 

Having said that, the link you provided in your OP is for Corsair cables. Those will likely have a different pinout than what EVGA uses and is definitely not advisable. CableMod makes EVGA specific cables, I would go to their website and have a browse. 

As for the Lian-li RGB cable, that should basically be a 24 pin ATX extension with the RGB strips that will clip onto the proprietary cable comb installed on the adapter. It technically should work since the motherboard side of the 24 pin connection should be standardized so all you would be doing is adding resistance to the connection which shouldn't cause issues overall. 

Grey_Beard
Those are the wrong cables. You need to find the Series E cables. Those are for EVGA PSUs. Not sure there are white sets, but you can go directly to the Cablemods website and they will make a set in any length and in any color.

Thank you both, I hadn't looked into it too much but after your comments I did look at the different series, and noticed the difference between the C-series and the E-series. Glad I had you two ! I am on the verge of buying this : https://www.newegg.ca/p/1W7-0049-000T8?Description=cablemod%20e-series%20white&cm_re=cablemod_e-series%20white-_-1W7-0049-000T8-_-Product which seems to be the right set for the G2 1300W. In the description they state that there are only two 8pins PCI-E connectors that come with the set, whereas the K|NGP|N card has 3 ports. Therefore, I'm guessing I'd need to find a 3rd 8pins PCI-E connector for that card, right ?

2 780's SLI
2 1080's SLI
TheDoctorCMG
iCX Member
  • Total Posts : 345
  • Ribbons : 2
Re: Cable Mods compatibility question 2021/03/05 13:06:49 (permalink) ☼ Best Answerby Zomgtuberun 2021/03/08 13:27:20
Zomgtuberun

Thank you both, I hadn't looked into it too much but after your comments I did look at the different series, and noticed the difference between the C-series and the E-series. Glad I had you two ! I am on the verge of buying this : https://www.newegg.ca/p/1W7-0049-000T8?Description=cablemod%20e-series%20white&cm_re=cablemod_e-series%20white-_-1W7-0049-000T8-_-Product which seems to be the right set for the G2 1300W. In the description they state that there are only two 8pins PCI-E connectors that come with the set, whereas the K|NGP|N card has 3 ports. Therefore, I'm guessing I'd need to find a 3rd 8pins PCI-E connector for that card, right ?

Yes you would need a third 8 pin PCI-e connector to make it work with the Kingpin card. I would suggest just go to CableMod's Global store and check out what they have an offer. They do have an individual 8 pin PCI-e connector from their E-series cables that you can use to supplement the cable kit you found on Newegg. They come in white, but their shipping times may be delayed at the moment so keep that in mind if you can't find the white E-series pci-e cable separately elsewhere. Alternatively you can just use their cable configurator tool and only order the cables you need rather than buy a kit with cables you might not ever use. 

CPU: I7 7820x @ 4.7ghz
Mobo: Gigabyte Gaming 7 Pro x299
Mem: Corsair Vengeance LP 3000mhz
PSU: EVGA 850 Supernova G3
GPU: FE Nvidia RTX 3090
Case: Corsair 5000d Airflow
CPU Cooler: EKWB AIO 360 Elite
Zomgtuberun
Re: Cable Mods compatibility question 2021/03/05 13:53:56 (permalink)
slaywhitey1326
Zomgtuberun

Yes you would need a third 8 pin PCI-e connector to make it work with the Kingpin card. I would suggest just go to CableMod's Global store and check out what they have an offer. They do have an individual 8 pin PCI-e connector from their E-series cables that you can use to supplement the cable kit you found on Newegg. They come in white, but their shipping times may be delayed at the moment so keep that in mind if you can't find the white E-series pci-e cable separately elsewhere. Alternatively you can just use their cable configurator tool and only order the cables you need rather than buy a kit with cables you might not ever use. 

Thank you, I just ordered one of those white individual cables and a white AIO sleeving kit for the K|NGP|N.
Cheers !

2 780's SLI
2 1080's SLI
Grey_Beard
CLASSIFIED Member
  • Total Posts : 2233
  • Ribbons : 10
Re: Cable Mods compatibility question 2021/03/05 15:16:04 (permalink)
Zomgtuberun
slaywhitey1326

Thank you, I just ordered one of those white individual cables and a white AIO sleeving kit for the K|NGP|N.
Cheers !

One of the good things about using the Cablemods website is that you can get the right length cable based on you case and configuration.  I need a couple sets for my Thermaltake PSUs, as this is one of the only places to get colored sleeved cables for a specific PSU at a length to fit my case, but they are not cheap.  Glad you could find a pre-made set.  Enjoy the K|NGP|N.

Jump to:
  • Back to Mobile