EVGA

CLC-280 Questions

Author
TheCloudX
  • Total Posts : 2
  • Reward points : 0
  • Ribbons : 0
2018/02/11 01:41:50 (permalink)
Just bought the CLC-280. Although I've built several PCs, this will be my first liquid cooler. Watched a few videos on it but still not sure on a few things.

1 - Is the USB really needed? Seen conflicting reports that it's just for RGB, others say you need it to control fans and pump. I'm not a RGB fan, so was planning to keep this off. Can't I just let the mobo control the fans and not worry about the USB?

2 - Seen some users install the fans directly to the block assembly while others plug into the mobo. This may be in relation to my first question. Was planning on plugging directly into the block. Any issues with this?

If it helps, I have a i7-8700K, MSI Z370 Gaming Pro Carbon mobo, and Fractal Define R6 case (don't plan to use the included fan control). I won't be OC'ing at this time. Thought process was to get way more cooler than I need, turn the fans down low and forget about the thing all while keeping the temps low.

1 Reply Related Threads

TheCloudX
    • Total Posts : 2
    • Reward points : 0
    • Ribbons : 0
    Re: CLC-280 Questions 2018/02/12 22:25:37 (permalink)
    So, thought I would answer this in case it helps others. I ended up installing the USB and Flow. My understanding is that the USB is needed for fan/pump/rgb control. I also installed the fans directly to the block assembly cable for ease.

So far it's working well. Idle temps are 33c and load temps using Prime95 for awhile was maxed at 61c. That said, Flow is a pain to work with. I easily turned off RGB (one click!) but can't for the life of me get the fan curves to work. I ended up selecting auto-off with the coolant being modified (even though it wouldn't let me). Doing this allowed me to use MSI Command Center to control the fans. My PC sits just a few feet from me at level, so fans spinning at the default 1200rpm was getting old. MSI brought them down to the low 900s and I'm still hitting in the low 30s at idle. I'm sure the software will be updated, until then this is working for me.
    Jump to:
  • Back to Mobile