Buzzing sound coming from 3080 ftw3

Author
Ciddharthas
iCX Member
  • Total Posts : 252
  • Reward points : 0
  • Ribbons : 0
2021/01/22 08:46:26 (permalink)
My card is making a mild buzzing sound.  It's not very loud - I didn't even notice it (at least not enough to differentiate it from the fan sounds and whatnot) until I ran a game with the side panel of my pc off.  It sounds like a smaller version of what you'd hear when you walk under power lines, and it's definitely caused by the electronics on the card itself and not the fans/cooler.  I can tell this is the case because it instantaneously subsides (although not completely) when I click away from a game onto a chrome window or desktop or whatnot.  And when I click back on the game (and the gpu is under more load) the buzz sound instantaneously gets louder again.  It doesn't take a second or whatnot to ramp up or down, it just instantly drops or resumes.

I'm not terribly concerned about the noise itself (although it is mildly irritating), but I am wondering if that's normal or if it's a sign there's something wrong with the card that could bite me in the butt sometime down the road.  This card had been RMA'd (twice), and I don't recall the original card (or the second one) doing this.  Does anyone else experience this?

CPU: i7 10700k @ 5.0 GHz with 280mm Corsair H115i Elite Capellix cooler
MB: MSI Z490 Meg Ace
RAM: 64gb Corsair Dominator Platinum RGB @ 3466 MHz
GPU: 3080 FTW3 Ultra Hybrid
Power Supply: Corsair HX1000i (1000 Watts)
Primary Monitor: Alienware AW3418DW
Keyboard: Corsair K95 Platinum RGB
Mouse: Corsair Scimitar Elite RGB
Headset: Arctis Pro Wireless
Mic: Elgato Wave 3
VR: Occulus Quest 2

7 Replies Related Threads

AJ Zany
    • Total Posts : 12
    Re: Buzzing sound coming from 3080 ftw3 2021/01/22 09:01:33 (permalink)
    Highly likely the buzzing noise you are hearing is coil whine, which is considered normal.  Some cards don't have it and some cards it is insanely loud.  The noise level sounds like it doesn't bother you much, so you should just role with it.  Coil whine does not compromise the integrity of the card.
    Ciddharthas
    iCX Member
    • Total Posts : 252
    Re: Buzzing sound coming from 3080 ftw3 2021/01/22 09:33:58 (permalink)
    AJ Zany
    Highly likely the buzzing noise you are hearing is coil whine, which is considered normal.  Some cards don't have it and some cards it is insanely loud.  The noise level sounds like it doesn't bother you much, so you should just role with it.  Coil whine does not compromise the integrity of the card.

Good to know.  Thanks for the response!

CPU: i7 10700k @ 5.0 GHz with 280mm Corsair H115i Elite Capellix cooler
    MB: MSI Z490 Meg Ace
    RAM: 64gb Corsair Dominator Platinum RGB @ 3466 MHz
    GPU: 3080 FTW3 Ultra Hybrid
    Power Supply: Corsair HX1000i (1000 Watts)
    Primary Monitor: Alienware AW3418DW
    Keyboard: Corsair K95 Platinum RGB
    Mouse: Corsair Scimitar Elite RGB
    Headset: Arctis Pro Wireless
    Mic: Elgato Wave 3
    VR: Occulus Quest 2
    Fastjoe90
    • Total Posts : 65
    Re: Buzzing sound coming from 3080 ftw3 2021/01/22 09:55:20 (permalink)
    My new 3080 FTW3 also has a very slight coil whine. Only really under heavy load but it’s not even really audible unless I press my ear against the top of the case. I’ve had 3 2070s (2 gigabyte, 1 evga) and this gpu and they’ve all had a relatively similar pitch when under heavy load. Unless it’s audible without even listening for it I wouldn’t worry about it. It’s normal for a high power card and will probably lessen with time.
    Heavenswake
    • Total Posts : 84
    Re: Buzzing sound coming from 3080 ftw3 2021/01/24 11:35:49 (permalink)
    Reseat the card.  I've had my 3080 for months now and recently upgraded my entire PC around it.  Everything was fine until I needed to reroute some cables so I took the GPU out then put it back in and it created a buzzing sound like you said.  I reseated it and the noise was still there, went to reseat it a second time and there was a spec of dust (or something) on the pcie connector.  Brushed it off with a qtip and the buzz went away.  It could very well just be coilwhine, but from my experience coilwhine is more of a high pitch vs a buzz.
    Kevin115
    Superclocked Member
    • Total Posts : 106
    Re: Buzzing sound coming from 3080 ftw3 2021/01/24 12:02:41 (permalink)
    The coil whine will also various its sound level and frequency with different load and scene rendering. So I think this match your description.
    jfeldtrauer
    • Total Posts : 1
    Re: Buzzing sound coming from 3080 ftw3 2021/01/30 06:46:07 (permalink)
    Ciddharthas
    My card is making a mild buzzing sound.

Have exactly the same sound at the same moments. -_-"
    Dabadger84
    CLASSIFIED Member
    • Total Posts : 2441
    • Ribbons : 7
    Re: Buzzing sound coming from 3080 ftw3 2021/01/30 08:43:33 (permalink)
    Is it happening under load, at idle, or both?  Does the tone/loudness change under load vs idle?  It's very likely Coil Whine, unfortunately some cards have it worse than others.  My 3090 FTW3 Hybrid had coil whine under heavy load at high FPS (like the one high-FPS part of Port Royal for instance), but it didn't make any noticeable noise while idle.
    You shouldn't be able to "hear" coil whine at idle, because of what coil whine actually is, this is directly from eVGA's Q&A area of the site:

What is coil whine, and how does it affect my video card?Last Update: 2021/01/08 14:42
    Print FAQ | Copy Link

Coil whine is in no way harmful for your card, and does not affect performance or longevity.
    Coil whine is simply the vibration of the coil in an inductor as the power passes through it. On a high end graphics card, ten or more large inductors would help provide power to critical components on the card.
    This vibration is similar to running a damp finger around the rim of a wine glass. Every inductor in every electronic device has some coil whine, but the vast majority of inductors whine well outside the hearing range of humans. On occasion, an inductor coil vibrates at a frequency in the range our ear can detect. This is particularly common if your card is processing 3D frames at a high rate, 100 FPS+. Coil whine can be particularly prevalent when in a game menu and no FPS cap or V-sync is enabled. You may notice greatly reduced coil when when enabling V-sync as a result.
    The combination of hardware components in your system can also affect the amount of coil whine you experience. Different motherboards and power supplies tend to have biggest affect, but adding or removing other components can also change the degree of the coil whine heard.
    If you are experiencing severe coil whine with your video card, it's highly recommended to either test the card in a completely different system, or test with another power supply to make sure the whine is isolated to the card itself. If the video card continues to whine badly in either situation, please use the links below to contact support.

Save up to 10% on eVGA.com purchases, use my Associates Code: 47AQQ6KPU2IZNXY
    My system on ModRigs: https://www.modsrigs.com/detail.aspx?BuildID=42686 
    System Specs (Brief Summary):
    i9 9900k @ 5GHz - Gigabyte Z390 AORUS Master - eVGA 1200W P2 - 4x8GB G.Skill TridentZ @ 3600MHz CL16
    eVGA RTX 3090 K|NGP|N :D - Samsung Odyssey G9 49" Super-Ultrawide 240Hz Monitor

Jump to:
  • Back to Mobile