EVGA

AnsweredBuying as a gift - registration & warranty question

Author
Rebaker
  • Total Posts : 4
  • Reward points : 0
  • Ribbons : 0
2019/05/18 15:12:15 (permalink)
No thread I've found addresses this clearly enough for me.

I want to buy an EVGA graphics board new from this site.  My name will be on the purchase, under my existing account.  However, I'll be buying it as a gift for someone else.  I want to receive it, test it, and send it to them - and for them to be the owner of record.  Meaning, they would be covered by an "original buyer" warranty and would themselves manage any claim.

1)  So, can a second person register as the original owner, even if they didn't personally buy the card (assuming they set up an account etc)?.  What kind of "proof of purchase" would they need for registration or for a claim?

2)  The alternative is for them to buy the card in their name but have it shipped to me.  Is that possible?
the_Scarlet_one
formerly Scarlet-tech
  • Total Posts : 24581
  • Ribbons : 79
Re: Buying as a gift - registration & warranty question 2019/05/18 15:33:36 (permalink)
You should provide the person the invoice and have them register the GPU to their own account. EVGA does not register the card to your account just because you were the one that purchased it, and this is the reason why :-)

Be aware that the registration date will still be the date of purchase when you buy from EVGA.com. If you buy the card well ahead of time, that time will count toward the warranty as well. If you can get it closer to the time you want to give them the GPU, that would be best.
post edited by the_Scarlet_one - 2019/05/18 15:40:37
DavidO
EVGA Alumni
  • Total Posts : 163
  • Ribbons : 2
Re: Buying as a gift - registration & warranty question 2019/05/18 15:38:46 (permalink)
Hello,

When it comes to gifts if this was not from a family member this would be considered by as a second-hand purchase. You will not be the original owner as the invoice will have another person name this would make them the original owner. You are still able to redeem the transferable warranty that would carry over to you.
the_Scarlet_one
formerly Scarlet-tech
  • Total Posts : 24581
  • Ribbons : 79
Re: Buying as a gift - registration & warranty question 2019/05/18 15:50:50 (permalink)
How would EVGA go about proving who was a family member and who was not? Many families do not share the same last name, or an aunt or uncle could purchase a product for their niece or nephew.
Hoggle
EVGA Forum Moderator
  • Total Posts : 10102
  • Ribbons : 4
Re: Buying as a gift - registration & warranty question 2019/05/18 17:54:22 (permalink)
the_Scarlet_one
How would EVGA go about proving who was a family member and who was not? Many families do not share the same last name, or an aunt or uncle could purchase a product for their niece or nephew.

Guess the best option would be to put who it is for on the original invoice.

Use an Associates Code & SAVE 5% - 10% on your purchase. Just click on the associates banner to save, or enter the associates code at checkout on your next purchase. If you choose to use my code I want to personally say "Thank You" for using it. 

XrayMan
Insert Custom Title Here
  • Total Posts : 73000
  • Ribbons : 115
Re: Buying as a gift - registration & warranty question 2019/05/18 17:58:51 (permalink)
Hoggle
the_Scarlet_one

Should the name match the name on the credit card though?

My Affiliate Code: 8WEQVXMCJL

Associate Code: VHKH33QN4W77V6A

&nbsp
Cool GTX
EVGA Forum Moderator
  • Total Posts : 31001
  • Ribbons : 122
Re: Buying as a gift - registration & warranty question 2019/05/18 18:24:12 (permalink)
It is tied to the purchaser .... best to have the Gift recipient purchase the card & you give them the $$

I'll guess you want the Associates Code discount / credit ... or you could just purchase it @ any EVGA Approved Vendor's site

Learn your way around the EVGA Forums, Rules & limits on new accounts Ultimate Self-Starter Thread For New Members

I am a Volunteer Moderator - not an EVGA employee

https://foldingathome.org -->become a citizen scientist and contribute your compute power to help fight global health threats

RTX Project EVGA X99 FTWK Nibbler EVGA X99 Classified EVGA 3080Ti FTW3 Ultra

Rebaker
  • Total Posts : 4
Re: Buying as a gift - registration & warranty question 2019/05/18 22:59:52 (permalink)
Thanks for the advice.
Hoggle
EVGA Forum Moderator
Re: Buying as a gift - registration & warranty question 2019/05/19 01:24:27 (permalink)
XrayMan
Hoggle
the_Scarlet_one

Should the name match the name on the credit card though?

It's a good point. I was thinking that the system has popped up the question of if the shipping address is the same as the billing address. If the invoice is based on the shipping address then it would be fine to put the name of the person who is getting the gift. If the invoice is using the billing information instead of shipping then that wouldn't work.

Use an Associates Code & SAVE 5% - 10% on your purchase. Just click on the associates banner to save, or enter the associates code at checkout on your next purchase. If you choose to use my code I want to personally say "Thank You" for using it. 

lefben
  • Total Posts : 1
Re: Buying as a gift - registration & warranty question 2021/06/07 12:37:42 (permalink) ☼ Best Answerby EVGATech_MatthewC 2021/06/07 14:52:11
Hi, this exact issue has come up for myself - a very kind friend purchased a new graphics card for me. He paid for it and had it shipped to his house but I picked up the un-opened package from him and have installed it in my computer. If he sends me his invoice, can I still register the card under my account as the original owner (just purchased by someone else, as a gift)? I see two different answers to this question in the thread and was hoping to get it nailed down.

Thanks!
EVGATech_MatthewC
EVGA Tech Support
  • Total Posts : 128
Re: Buying as a gift - registration & warranty question 2021/06/07 14:52:06 (permalink)
If your friend purchased the graphics card in their name and shipped to them, then they gifted it to you (even if it's still sealed new in box), the card is considered secondhand. If the product has a transferable warranty, that warranty would transfer starting from the date it shipped to the retailer (or to the customer if purchased directly from EVGA). You can use the last two letters of the product number to determine the warranty length and if the warranty is transferable on our warranty page HERE. When registering the card for secondhand warranty, provide an invoice/document stating the product was a gift, not the original invoice with their name.
rjbarker
CLASSIFIED Member
  • Total Posts : 3214
  • Ribbons : 21
Re: Buying as a gift - registration & warranty question 2021/08/26 21:04:46 (permalink)
EVGATech_MatthewC
If your friend purchased the graphics card in their name and shipped to them, then they gifted it to you (even if it's still sealed new in box), the card is considered secondhand. If the product has a transferable warranty, that warranty would transfer starting from the date it shipped to the retailer (or to the customer if purchased directly from EVGA). You can use the last two letters of the product number to determine the warranty length and if the warranty is transferable on our warranty page HERE. When registering the card for secondhand warranty, provide an invoice/document stating the product was a gift, not the original invoice with their name.

Hi there Im in a very similar situation whereby a close friend / co-worker purchased a new Evga Card for me as I was away at work and it happened to be available in stock.
I'm still away at work, however he passed on the S/N to me and I went ahead and registered the Card.

He also emailed me a pdf copy of the Invoice (with his name on it) and I want to upload the Invoice. Obviously it has his name on it, but can we simply write on the original Retail Invoice that it was purchased as a gift to me and include my name written on the invoice?
He doesnt have an Evga Account and I would rather not have to bother him and set up an Evga Account with him as the Registered owner etc. (I could do that, but not ideal really), in the event I have issues with the Card and have to send in for RMA.
So in a nutshell, can we write my name on the original Invoice something like "gifted to my name" and upload that Invoice?

Thanks in advance

I9 12900K EK Velocity2 / ROG Z690 Apex/ 32G Dominator DDR5 6000/ Evga RTX 3080Ti FTW3  EK Vector / 980 Pro 512G / 980 Pro 1TB/ Samsung 860 Pro 500G/ WD 4TB Red / AX 1600i /  Corsair 900D & XSPC 480 * 360 * 240 Rads   XSPC Photon 170 Rez-Vario Pump Combo - Alienware 3440*1440p 120Hz/ W11

Hoggle
EVGA Forum Moderator
Re: Buying as a gift - registration & warranty question 2021/08/26 21:28:10 (permalink)
If it was me and this was a gift I was giving to a family or very close friend I would just register the card under my name. If they had a problem then they can let me know and I would be happy to help a friend or family out by contacting support. Of course I guess situations change and for me I only have gifted some mice and keyboards and handed down some old parts to my parents.

Jump to:
  • Back to Mobile