Helpful ReplyBurned out my CPU?

Author
nikkocortez
CLASSIFIED Member
  • Total Posts : 2884
  • Reward points : 0
  • Ribbons : 14
2018/03/13 05:57:27 (permalink)
So I have an i7-4820k in a gigabyte UD4(or UD3?) mobo.  It was running as a folding rig but was not folding on the CPU.  The AIO failed and the system overheated on the CPU.  Caught the AIO failure late, it must have been a bad pump.  I have since replaced the AIO with one of those ebay "stock" Intel coolers but temps seem to be ridiculous and I am getting constant shut downs just by browsing through the OS.  I'm not looking for a comparable temps to the AIO but it should be able to run with out overheating at stock settings with this cooler.

Is it possible the CPU is just burned out and needs to be replaced?  Or did I just get a poorly designed/insuficient cooler?
bob16314
Omnipotent Enthusiast
  • Total Posts : 8048
  • Ribbons : 761
Re: Burned out my CPU? 2018/03/13 08:42:27 (permalink)
Possible the CPU is damaged..TjMax is 105C for an i7-4820K whereupon PROCHOT will be asserted, as long as Thermal Management/Protection is enabled in the BIOS, and the frequency and voltage will be throttled down in an effort to keep the cores temperature in check so that no harm comes to them..If the cores temperature cannot be kept in check, THERMTRIP will be asserted and shut off the CPU, regardless of whether Thermal Management/Protection is enabled or disabled in the BIOS..Intel does not guarantee a CPU that hits THERMTRIP will go undamaged..THERMTRIP is usually about 10C to 15C higher than PROCHOT.

What's the cores temps getting up to with the Intel cooler now and what did they get up to when it 'overheated', if you know?

You can try assigning a fixed manual downclock of the CPU to run it at a lower frequency (maybe 2.9GHz Turbo instead of the stock 3.9GHz Turbo, or even 1.9GHz) and/or manually increasing the Vcore a little and see if it helps..If it works okay/better at a lower frequency and/or at a higher Vcore, that's a good sign it's damaged..Best way would be to try the CPU in another machine or try another CPU in yours and see how it rolls.

UD3 not UD4 boards support an i7-4820K (Socket 2011).

* Corsair Obsidian 450D Mid-Tower - Airflow Edition * ASUS ROG Maximus X Hero (Wi-Fi AC) * Intel i7-8700K @ 5.0 GHz * 16GB G.SKILL Trident Z 4133MHz * Sabrent Rocket 1TB M.2 SSD * WD Black 500 GB HDD * Seasonic M12 II 750W * Corsair H115i Elite Capellix 280mm * EVGA GTX 760 SC * Win7 Home/Win10 Home * 

"Whatever it takes, as long as it works" - Me

nikkocortez
CLASSIFIED Member
Re: Burned out my CPU? 2018/03/13 10:03:25 (permalink)
I'll have to do some more work on it to see.  I just hope the mobo isn't going bad. 2011 CPUs are a dime a dozen but the mobo's are not.  I guess there is the possibility that the cooler is not contacting the CPU properly but it's pretty hard to mess a 2011 CPU up with the threads integrated into the backplate unless the cooler is designed wrong.

I was using MSI AB and temps were showing it hitting upwards of 90* on the cores but I couldn't see how that would be right if the cooler is properly installed, which the screws were tightened properly and bottomed out. The other thing that was weird was the cooler was cool to the touch which could indicate bad/nonexistent CPU contact.
quadlatte
CLASSIFIED ULTRA Member
  • Total Posts : 7191
  • Ribbons : 56
Re: Burned out my CPU? 2018/03/13 11:42:39 (permalink)
it could be possible that the solder got hot enough to crack and lose contact with the die or IHS, i have seen that happen once, but more likely the cooler is not contacting the cpu correctly 

Heatware: http://heatware.com/eval.php?id=72498
bob16314
Omnipotent Enthusiast
  • Total Posts : 8048
  • Ribbons : 761
Re: Burned out my CPU? 2018/03/13 14:15:00 (permalink) ☄ Helpfulby nikkocortez 2018/03/13 15:59:44
Good luck..And yeah it sounds like probable improper cooler contact.

If you're unaware of it, MSI AB has an auto-shutdown feature that will execute to turn off your PC at the temps you want.

Settings -> Monitoring..Highlight the parameter (GPU and/or CPU temperatures)..Enter the Max Alarm value when out of range..Click the little box to the left of Min/Max for additional alarm settings..Check Launch application on alarm..Click the Browse button to the right of Command line..Select System shutdown..Then click Open..Then click OK..Then click OK to close Settings..Then you can simply uncheck or check to Launch application on alarm when you want to.

That can sure save hardware should a catastrophic cooling failure/overheating occur when you're away from your PC.

* Corsair Obsidian 450D Mid-Tower - Airflow Edition * ASUS ROG Maximus X Hero (Wi-Fi AC) * Intel i7-8700K @ 5.0 GHz * 16GB G.SKILL Trident Z 4133MHz * Sabrent Rocket 1TB M.2 SSD * WD Black 500 GB HDD * Seasonic M12 II 750W * Corsair H115i Elite Capellix 280mm * EVGA GTX 760 SC * Win7 Home/Win10 Home * 

"Whatever it takes, as long as it works" - Me

nikkocortez
CLASSIFIED Member
Re: Burned out my CPU? 2018/03/13 16:02:19 (permalink)
Very nice!  I will have to enable that on all my folder's.  I guess I will be in the markets for a new cooler then.  Not sure how the cooler couldn't be contacting but it seems t have all the flags of such.  When I get a chance I'll do some testing with a different cooler and see what comes out of it.  If not I may go to swap CPUs.
bill1024
Omnipotent Enthusiast
  • Total Posts : 11089
  • Ribbons : 65
Re: Burned out my CPU? 2018/03/14 00:53:50 (permalink)
You should be able to tell if the cooler is sitting on the CPU when you pull the cooler off.
The TIM will be spread out and show signs of contact.
If you use the TIM that cam with the cooler preinstaled, remove it and use some MX-4 or something.
Put a small ball of TIM in the middle and set the cooler, then remove it and see if it made contact.
I myself lay a line of TIM near one side and use a credit card and spread it out evenly.
No matter how you do it you can tell if it made contact when cooler is removed.

Life is too short to carry a cheap pocket knife

nikkocortez
CLASSIFIED Member
Re: Burned out my CPU? 2018/04/02 09:10:36 (permalink)
Turned out to be a bad seat for the cooler.  Apparently some screws that hold the retention bracket to the heatsink came loose so as I tightened the cooler to the mobo the heat sink didn't seat fully even though the screws bottomed out.  The factory TIM said it all.  I guess that what you get for using a $25 "stock" ebay intel cooler.  Slapped a fancy MasterAir RGB cooler from CoolerMaster on it and all is right so far with normal running temps in the 30's.  So far I have the two 1080ti's back folding and the wife's machine has some extra "bling" but the CPU may not be much of an overclocker now lol.
Jump to:
  • Back to Mobile