Bios Updates & Windows Activations

Author
Mienko
Superclocked Member
  • Total Posts : 170
  • Reward points : 0
  • Ribbons : 3
2022/10/25 01:07:42 (permalink)
Hey there everyone.  Does anybody else have this issue?  If I update my bios, I need to re-enter my MSFT password as the PIN will not work.  Okay, fine.  BUT, also after booting windows is no longer activated and I have to do the activation dance with my digital keys.  Anybody else experience anything similar?

7 Replies Related Threads

jdec112016w
    Superclocked Member
    • Total Posts : 163
    Re: Bios Updates & Windows Activations 2022/10/25 11:42:23 (permalink)
    Mienko
    Hey there everyone.  Does anybody else have this issue?  If I update my bios, I need to re-enter my MSFT password as the PIN will not work.  Okay, fine.  BUT, also after booting windows is no longer activated and I have to do the activation dance with my digital keys.  Anybody else experience anything similar?

Your first issue with your PIN not working is normal, it also can happen just by clearing my CMOS, as far as Windows no longer being activated, no that is not normal. I have a couple questions though, in the process is your PC getting renamed, so Microsoft thinks it is a different PC? Are you using a OEM version of Windows or Retail? I have Retail and for many years I am listed/certified with Microsoft as PC builder with no serial number for any MB my Windows Retail version is used on. Only 1 MB at a time is ever online. In my case I am using the same SSDs M.2, so my MB is not relevant. In settings>> System Information, no serial number for the MB, it says default string instead.

EVGA  Z690 DARK KINGPIN (BIOS VER. 1.15)
    Temporarily. For now. Z690 Classified (BIOS VER. 1.15)
    Windows 11 Pro
    Intel i9-12900k
    EVGA GeFORCE RTX 3090 Ti FTW3 24G-P5-4985-KR
    SAMSUNG 980 PRO M.2 SSD, 2TB
    CORSAIR VENGEANCE C70 case
    EVGA 1300 SuperNOVA P+
    EVGA Z20 RGB KEYBOARD
    EVGA X20 Wireless Mouse
    Dell-27" LED QHD G-SYNC  Model:S2716DG.
    G.SKILL (2 x 16GB)  F5-6400J3239G16GX2-TZ5RS

Mienko
    Superclocked Member
    Re: Bios Updates & Windows Activations 2022/10/25 14:07:08 (permalink)
    jdec112016w
    Mienko

Your first issue with your PIN not working is normal, it also can happen just by clearing my CMOS, as far as Windows no longer being activated, no that is not normal. I have a couple questions though, in the process is your PC getting renamed, so Microsoft thinks it is a different PC? Are you using a OEM version of Windows or Retail? I have Retail and for many years I am listed/certified with Microsoft as PC builder with no serial number for any MB my Windows Retail version is used on. Only 1 MB at a time is ever online. In my case I am using the same SSDs M.2, so my MB is not relevant. In settings>> System Information, no serial number for the MB, it says default string instead.

All of my licenses are retail (think I've got like 6 digital licenses bound to my account for 6 different PCs).  The PC is not getting renamed.  The only change triggering this is the bios updates themselves (same board, same NVME, same windows install, etc.), so I was thinking maybe the bios was changing the HW ID for the mobo with every new release.  No other PC/board in the house does this when they get bios updates, just my z690 classy.  Thinking I'll copy the Device ID & Product ID in Settings>About to see if they change with the next bios iteration.

Additional note:  Simply clearing CMOS does not trigger the pin reset or de-activation for me, which lends credence to my hypothesis of a bios update (but not a CMOS reset) changing the HW ID.

post edited by Mienko - 2022/10/25 14:08:36

jdec112016w
    Superclocked Member
    • Total Posts : 163
    Re: Bios Updates & Windows Activations 2022/10/25 14:27:43 (permalink)
    Not always for me, clearing CMOS makes me reset my MS PIN, sometimes does, sometimes it does not. For me just a inconvenience, I do a quick reset using my phone linked to my PC. You have a really odd issue with Windows not being valid again, that has never happened to me. What version of BIOS are you using/updating to, on what MB and CPU. If you are using the new Intel 13th Generation CPU, on a Z690 MB, lots of issues on Z690s MBs here at EVGA, figured that was going to happen, I read couple hours ago they once again issued another BIOS revision trying to solve the issues. Obviously something is causing MS to think you are using a different PC/MB, with that Windows license, and you are right, all you are doing is a BIOS update. Maybe others are having the same issues and have not looked at their activation status, like you have. 

EVGA  Z690 DARK KINGPIN (BIOS VER. 1.15)
    Temporarily. For now. Z690 Classified (BIOS VER. 1.15)
    Windows 11 Pro
    Intel i9-12900k
    EVGA GeFORCE RTX 3090 Ti FTW3 24G-P5-4985-KR
    SAMSUNG 980 PRO M.2 SSD, 2TB
    CORSAIR VENGEANCE C70 case
    EVGA 1300 SuperNOVA P+
    EVGA Z20 RGB KEYBOARD
    EVGA X20 Wireless Mouse
    Dell-27" LED QHD G-SYNC  Model:S2716DG.
    G.SKILL (2 x 16GB)  F5-6400J3239G16GX2-TZ5RS

Mienko
    Superclocked Member
    Re: Bios Updates & Windows Activations 2022/10/25 17:10:36 (permalink)
    jdec112016w
    Not always for me, clearing CMOS makes me reset my MS PIN, sometimes does, sometimes it does not. For me just a inconvenience, I do a quick reset using my phone linked to my PC. You have a really odd issue with Windows not being valid again, that has never happened to me. What version of BIOS are you using/updating to, on what MB and CPU. If you are using the new Intel 13th Generation CPU, on a Z690 MB, lots of issues on Z690s MBs here at EVGA, figured that was going to happen, I read couple hours ago they once again issued another BIOS revision trying to solve the issues. Obviously something is causing MS to think you are using a different PC/MB, with that Windows license, and you are right, all you are doing is a BIOS update. Maybe others are having the same issues and have not looked at their activation status, like you have. 

I'm on 2.03 now, but it has happened with EVERY bios update and even happens if I use the switch between bios.  Still using my 12900k that I've had since launch, same 6400 g.skills, no HW changes.  Because it's just a bios change (switch or update) that seems to trigger it, I'm wondering if each different bios install is generating a new HW ID or something that causes MSFT to think it's a new motherboard.  Or, maybe for some inexplicable reason my activation is not being written to the board at all (I am using UEFI, rather than "other OS").  

It is a really weird issue.  I mean, it's an not end of the world type issue, but it's irritating af.  lol

LukeT32
    • Total Posts : 45
    • Ribbons : 0
    Re: Bios Updates & Windows Activations 2022/10/25 18:28:29 (permalink)
    Mienko
    jdec112016w

I'm on 2.03 now, but it has happened with EVERY bios update and even happens if I use the switch between bios.  Still using my 12900k that I've had since launch, same 6400 g.skills, no HW changes.  Because it's just a bios change (switch or update) that seems to trigger it, I'm wondering if each different bios install is generating a new HW ID or something that causes MSFT to think it's a new motherboard.  Or, maybe for some inexplicable reason my activation is not being written to the board at all (I am using UEFI, rather than "other OS").  

It is a really weird issue.  I mean, it's an not end of the world type issue, but it's irritating af.  lol

I believe you are 100% correct on the new HW ID. I just updated to 2.02 BIOS and was greeted with the no PIN screen and had to login to my MS account to get into Windows. Just as I completed the login my Google Wifi notified me a new device connected to my nextwork and it was a new Desktop-XXXXXX. This is my first EVGA board, never had issues with BIOS updates on any other PC triggering this before.

13900k on a Z690 Classified w/ 4090 FE
    LukeT32
    • Total Posts : 45
    • Ribbons : 0
    Re: Bios Updates & Windows Activations 2022/10/25 18:35:25 (permalink)
    Update can confirm my Windows was no longer activated as well..... This is going to get ugly if every BIOS update causes a new device ID. Microsoft is going to have a melt down.....

13900k on a Z690 Classified w/ 4090 FE
    Ravenmaster
    SSC Member
    • Total Posts : 743
    • Ribbons : 7
    Re: Bios Updates & Windows Activations 2022/10/25 19:04:04 (permalink)
    I just updated to BIOS version 2.03 from 2.01 and my Windows 11 PIN stopped working too. However, once i'd signed in and made myself a new PIN, everything was fine. Windows 11 remained activated.

Asus ROG Maximus Z790 Dark Hero | Intel Core i9-14900KF | RTX 4090 FE | 2x32GB Corsair Dominator Titanium DDR5 RAM (7200mhz) | 2x Samsung 990 Pro 4TB M.2 NVMe's for main OS and backup) | Windows 11 Pro 64-bit 23H2 |Klipsch 5.1.2 Dolby Atmos speakers + Denon AVR-X2800H Receiver | LG 42" C2 OLED | EVGA ASSOCIATE CODE: JRKV0L1B1GY3ADW

Jump to:
  • Back to Mobile