EVGA

Been many years since I put a computer together and I'm out of my element and need help.

Page: < 12 Showing page 2 of 2
Author
JHulick
  • Total Posts : 17
  • Reward points : 0
  • Ribbons : 0
Re: Been many years since I put a computer together and I'm out of my element and need hel 2017/03/19 21:24:53 (permalink)
HappyHubris
X99 is overpriced for 99.9% of people.  Try out the builds you get by Googling "The Tech Report System Guide: February 2017 edition" (I can't post links for some reason).  That site lists well-researched sets of parts and a "how to build" video.  Sub in the 1080Ti for the 1080, and those builds should work for you.  You can also Google "PC Parts Picker," where people post their builds.

I just built a i7 ITX system, and it's amazing how compact and efficient PCs have become!

Awesome thank you :D.

thanks to you too loveha.  I'll check out the 1080.  Like I said that list is just a rough draft so to speak.  Tweaking was supposed to happen before I finalize anyway so :P.  And hell it may change again when I actually get some money saved.
loveha
Omnipotent Enthusiast
  • Total Posts : 10497
  • Ribbons : 65
Re: Been many years since I put a computer together and I'm out of my element and need hel 2017/03/19 22:16:27 (permalink)
You're welcome. Here to help.

Case - Phanteks Enthoo Evolv X
Mobo - EVGA X570 FTW
CPU - AMD Ryzen 9 5900X
RAM - 32GB Trident Z Royal 3600MHz 14-14-14-34
GPU - EVGA RTX 3080 Ti FTW3 Ultra Gaming
PSU - Seasonic Prime TX-1000
Heatkiller IV CPU Waterblock / Heatkiller V GPU Waterblock
Heatkiller V EBC Active Backplate / Two Heatkiller Rad 360 L
Six Noctua NF-A12x25 / Heatkiller D5 Pump
  • Total Posts : 59
Re: Been many years since I put a computer together and I'm out of my element and need hel 2017/03/23 21:38:00 (permalink)
Same thing with me lol, it's been a while since I've build a computer. Now I decided to finish this build which I never got the chance to do before, but on a low budget. 

Case: Thermaltake Commander MS-I Snow Edition
Mobo: EVGA Z170 FTW
RAM: LPX Corsair 16GB DDR4 2666Mhz
CPU: i5 6700k Kaby Lake
GPU: EVGA GeForce GTX 950 2GB FTW GAMING ACX 2.0
PSU: EVGA SuperNOVA 750 G2, 80+ GOLD 750W, Fully Modular
HD: 1TB Western Digital

To me this is a decent build right now, seeing that unexpected things of life happened out the blue and made me put this build on hold several times. Hence I'm stuck with the old GPU 950FTW. I won't be gaming much but having the 950FTW feels strange with the build. When I was about to order the i5 6600k the i5 6700k came out so I'm going with the latter instead. Should keep up with the latest news moving forward :p 

JHulick
Re: Been many years since I put a computer together and I'm out of my element and need hel 2017/03/24 15:57:03 (permalink)
Sorry for the hiatus took a break to deal with stuff.  Anyway I decided to scrap the low budget idea and just save up for a good computer.  I have a general idea what to get IE, keep the LGA same on the board and cpu etc...  Not sure what board to get yet with the same lga but I'll keep an eye out on newegg.  As for the rest well I'll stick with the 32 gigs of ram, a 1000 watt psu, don't need sound or hard drives, although in the future after this thing is built I may buy some decent SSD's.  Until then I'm forced to suffer with a horribly dated machine that can't run new games coming out so I have to just be patient for a year or so.  At any rate thank you for all the input it was extremely helpful, especially from loveha's LGA bit.
Cool GTX
EVGA Forum Moderator
  • Total Posts : 30983
  • Ribbons : 122
Re: Been many years since I put a computer together and I'm out of my element and need hel 2017/03/24 16:10:52 (permalink)
Simple boost for any PC -- install a SSD.  You can use it in your next build and it makes your PC much faster in day to day use.

16 GB RAM is plenty for gaming and daily use

Most software that is not professional in nature cant use 32 GB of RAM.  Think video editing, CAD, pro Photoshop

Learn your way around the EVGA Forums, Rules & limits on new accounts Ultimate Self-Starter Thread For New Members

I am a Volunteer Moderator - not an EVGA employee

https://foldingathome.org -->become a citizen scientist and contribute your compute power to help fight global health threats

RTX Project EVGA X99 FTWK Nibbler EVGA X99 Classified EVGA 3080Ti FTW3 Ultra

JHulick
Re: Been many years since I put a computer together and I'm out of my element and need hel 2017/03/24 16:22:08 (permalink)
Explain why having more ram is bad?  I've never heard of anything that having too much ram is a bad idea.

SSD's are still expensive yet.  I plan to get one to replace the stupid HD's I have.  Another problem I have is I literally have like 6 Tb's of space, I don't think they have terabyte SSD's that aren't butt expensive.
Cool GTX
EVGA Forum Moderator
Re: Been many years since I put a computer together and I'm out of my element and need hel 2017/03/24 16:53:02 (permalink)
For your OS and core programs 256 GB SSD is big enough.  Get 2 more 512GB SSD for games if you need 1GB for games

32 GB RAM, comment was more like your Not likely to ever use that much, save your money and only get 16 GB (if budget is tight)

You would still use mechanical drives for library file: movies, music, archives

Learn your way around the EVGA Forums, Rules & limits on new accounts Ultimate Self-Starter Thread For New Members

https://foldingathome.org -->become a citizen scientist and contribute your compute power to help fight global health threats

MSim
Omnipotent Enthusiast
  • Total Posts : 14685
  • Ribbons : 38
Re: Been many years since I put a computer together and I'm out of my element and need hel 2017/03/25 05:02:25 (permalink)
JHulick
Explain why having more ram is bad?  I've never heard of anything that having too much ram is a bad idea.

SSD's are still expensive yet.  I plan to get one to replace the stupid HD's I have.  Another problem I have is I literally have like 6 Tb's of space, I don't think they have terabyte SSD's that aren't butt expensive.

It all depends on the budget IMO. 16GB is the least amount of RAM i would recommend for a new mid/high-end gaming PC. I have seen a few Early Access games on steam with memory leaks, longer you play the more memory it eats up. 

Look at the system requirement below

Batman™: Arkham Knight
For Windows 10 users, we’ve found that having at least 12GB of system RAM on a PC allows the game to operate without paging and provides a smoother gameplay experience.

Source

Quantum Break
Ultra Requirements  16GB of RAM

Source

Cool GTX
EVGA Forum Moderator
Re: Been many years since I put a computer together and I'm out of my element and need hel 2017/03/25 05:12:42 (permalink)
I agree - look at the games you want to play - minimum standards need to be met with most of your system, and exceeded with your CPU & GPU for best play

splashie62
  • Total Posts : 61
Re: Been many years since I put a computer together and I'm out of my element and need hel 2017/03/25 06:25:32 (permalink)
Endless possebillitys, but if you'd like to stick around a similair budget as your last pc you could try something like this pc here:

http://pcpartpicker.com/user/Splashie/saved/#view=fHKbvK

I went for an AMD Ryzen 7 cpu instead of the i7 7700K or the Intel X99 series as I find the Ryzen 7 pretty impressing performance wise, also with 8/16 threads cores you deffenitly are future proof.
It's 55% more efficient when it comes to performance per watt over the i7 7700K and if we look at Fps wise, non overclocked the Fps difference is only 10 tot 12% on average. As for the 16/32Gb ram discussion, I run 32GB myself but I highly doubt I will ever even get to use more than 12, even with the most demanding least optimized games I do not use more than 11 max 12GB and that includes with me having chrome, spotify and some other background applications open. 

Also many people here recommend alot of luxurious and fancy extra things such as watercooling, but to be honest with you the new stock cooler of the Ryzen 7 CPU is more than sufficient, silent and it has a pretty cool RGB led.
Otherwise I'd say if you do not intend to overclock go for a Be Quiet! Pure rock Slim, it's cheap, extreamly quiet, easy to install and super cheap (€24,99 here in EU)

Either way, the build I just posted up there is a pretty simple but fancy looking build. It has some RGB Led's on the Motherboard, the ram and CPU with Tempered glass case. Powersupply shroud is included in this case (Yey no cables!)

If you want to stick with intel that is cool too, we can help you with that aswell ofcourse.
Page: < 12 Showing page 2 of 2
Jump to:
  • Back to Mobile