Intel i7-7700K (factory clock)
32GB RAM (default clock)
EVGA 3080 XC3 Ultra
1 Nvme boot drive, 2 SSD, 1 old HDD
Tripple monitors: 2 Samsung C27HG70  144Hz, 1 Wacom Cintiq 24HD 60Hz
NetGear A7000 Wifi USB 3.0
Logitech G500s mouse and G910 keyboard

Problem:
I often have 3 monitors on when working: I have Photoshop on the Cintiq screen, and browser on 1 Samsung screen. I notice after 1-2 hours (sometimes more, sometimes less) when I move my cursor (either by using Wacom pen, or my wired mouse), I start hearing audio pop/glitch, with BOTH my speaker and headphone. The issue is not too prevalent when it starts, but the longer I use my computer, the more I can hear the crackling sound. It doesn't happen when I turn on my computer, but it SLOWLY shows up, so it seems accumulative. The audio pops happen with both Youtube or local music I have on my computer. I used LatencyMon to test, and see that I have a huge spike on interrupt to process latency (screenshot attached), BUT I have a fairly low ISR/DPC execution time (?). DPC can spike sometimes, but unlikely and I have never seen DPC execution time pass 3000. Anyway, it always points to either Nvidia driver, or Wdf01000.sys, dxgkrnl.sys, and ntoskrnl.exe. I also tested with Windows Performance Analyzer, it also shows similar results.

I notice the issue about 2 weeks ago, I installed 3080 about a month ago. If I don't move my mouse at all, or I move my mouse on a blank space, the interrupt latency is low, no pops. The easiest way to reproduce the problem is when I move my cursor over a hyperlink in Firefox back and forward OR I can open Windows Setting (SystemSettings.exe), and navigate around the hyperlinks from the "Help from the web" sections.

Once the issue happens, close Photoshop, Firefox sitll won't fix it, even with a simple Windows Setting, it still happens. It happens during my daily work, while CPU and GPU usage is not crazy at all (20%-50%), and temp. is normal. I also can play any video game fine (though I only play after restart or after turn on computer, never tried with audio issue on), and can max out everything in game, CPU and GPU are well utilized, normal temp. too.

My attempt to fix:
  • Windows updated to most current version (20H2) = doesn't work
  • Nvidia newest driver 461.09 = doesn't work, in fact this crashed my computer when I use Unreal Engine 4 Editor, so I rolled back and am currently on 460.79, no Nvidia audio driver, still doesn't work.
  • Set "Prefer max performance" in Nvidia Control Panel , low latency mode on = doesn't work
  • Turn on Hardware Acceleration in Windows graphic setting = doesn't work
  • Update audio driver (Realtek) = doesn't work
  • Update, and reset BIOS to the newest version = doesn't work
  • Update chipset driver to the newest version = doesn't work
  • Re-sit my RAM, check cables, and make sure that 3080 is secured in PCI slot = doesn't work
  • Match refresh rate on 3 of monitor (60Hz) = doesn't work
  • Unplug all peripherals, only mouse and keyboard left = doesn't work
  • Restart computer = work temporarily then interrupt latency SLOWLY crawls back up
  • Disable and Re-enable Display Adapter (3080 obviously, onboard graphic is OFF) = work temporarily then interrupt latency SLOWLY crawls back up
Things I haven't tried (yet):
  • Re-install Windows = too much trouble now that I am middle of a production
  • RAM test = not sure if this is RAM error, please enlighten me here.
At this point, everything seems to point to a faulty NVidia driver (no?) or a faulty EVGA card, but I dont think the card is failing. What should I do to fix this problem? Please help me.

Attached Image(s)

7 Replies Related Threads

Dabadger84
    CLASSIFIED Member
    • Total Posts : 3426
    • Reward points : 0
    • Ribbons : 10
    Re: Audio pop/glitch with high interrupt latency 2021/01/22 22:11:15 (permalink)
    What I found when I had this issue is that it had to do with audio drivers conflicting with NVidia's audio drivers and/or others.  At the time, I had a headset that had it's own audio drivers, then the motherboard's audio drivers, then a sound card's audio drivers, and NVidia's audio drivers all being selectable as an audio output.  My issue would be either static, or occasional distortion/popping that would get worse the longer I went on, rebooting seemed to fix it most of the time.  Part of the issue ended up being the headset I had at the time having a faulty USB dongle, but even after that it continued until I disabled my on board audio completely.  
    Now I only use audio directly from my USB Creative card, or my newer headset, which is a Logitech G Pro X (which is wired to a USB dongle).  I'm planning on going back to a wireless headset soon for mobility reasons, will be interesting to see if my audio issue returns or not.

In short, if you are not using it, try disabling all audio devices you're not actually using, either in BIOS (in the case of on board audio if you're not using it) or in Device Manager if you can get away with it.

ModRigs: https://www.modsrigs.com/detail.aspx?BuildID=42891  
    Specs:
    5950x @ 4.7GHz 1.3V - Asus Crosshair VIII Hero - eVGA 1200W P2 - 4x8GB G.Skill Trident Z Royal Silver @ 3800 CL14
    Gigabyte RTX 4090 Gaming OC w/ Core: 2850MHz @ 1000mV, Mem: +1500MHz - Samsung Odyssey G9 49" Super-Ultrawide 240Hz Monitor

harry1511
    • Total Posts : 15
    • Ribbons : 0
    Re: Audio pop/glitch with high interrupt latency 2021/01/23 14:00:35 (permalink)
    Thank you for the reply, but I actually use onboard audio via optical output in the back T_T. Besides that, I don't have any other audio device hooked in when not being used. I do, however, have BreakAway Audio Enhancer. Funny thing is LatencyMon or Window Performance Analyzer never flags it, so I never disable it, and when pops happen, turning it off doesn't work either. I will spend my day today to troubleshoot more. If anyone has any other tips, I appreciate it.
    arestavo
    CLASSIFIED ULTRA Member
    • Total Posts : 6916
    • Ribbons : 76
    Re: Audio pop/glitch with high interrupt latency 2021/01/23 14:05:59 (permalink)
    harry1511
    Thank you for the reply, but I actually use onboard audio via optical output in the back T_T. Besides that, I don't have any other audio device hooked in when not being used. I do, however, have BreakAway Audio Enhancer. Funny thing is LatencyMon or Window Performance Analyzer never flags it, so I never disable it, and when pops happen, turning it off doesn't work either. I will spend my day today to troubleshoot more. If anyone has any other tips, I appreciate it.

You have a Nvidia card right? Nvidia GPU drivers install audio drivers. Try uninstalling them, and the next time you install drivers choose "custom install" and don't install them.

harry1511
    Re: Audio pop/glitch with high interrupt latency 2021/01/23 14:17:02 (permalink)
    The HD Audio Driver from Nvidia is not installed. I only have graphic driver, and PhysX, no Geforce Experience. I don't think Geforce Experience affect anything at all, I have had it installed and uninstalled, no difference.
    timmyboy04
    Superclocked Member
    • Total Posts : 242
    Re: Audio pop/glitch with high interrupt latency 2021/01/23 21:47:45 (permalink)
    You mentioned the newest Nvidia driver causes a crash so you had to roll back. Have you tried using DDU in safe mode to completely remove the current driver and start fresh? Corruption is a possibility and that's the only way to be sure it's cleaned out aside from a fresh Windows install. 

Steps:
    • Uninstall Precision X/MSI Afterburner if installed, make sure to select "no" to saving profiles if asked.  Reboot the PC now if you had to uninstall PX or Afterburner.
    • Use DDU (Display driver uninstaller) in safe mode to clean out all your NVIDIA drivers. Use the clean and restart (highly recommended) option.
    • Download & save the most recent graphics driver to your desktop. You can find the most recent graphics driver here.
    • Run the graphics installer located on your desktop once the download is complete.
    • Select NVIDIA graphics driver, select custom advanced install, under custom installation options uncheck all options except graphics driver & physx system software, if you have a 3D capable monitor and would like to use 3D at some point please select both 3D options, check mark perform clean install, then click next to install the driver, reboot when asked.
    -Credit Sajin
    Sixtus23
    Superclocked Member
    • Total Posts : 101
    Re: Audio pop/glitch with high interrupt latency 2021/01/24 02:53:11 (permalink)
    If it is software related "LatencyMon" will find the lagging/popping Background process.

post edited by Sixtus23 - 2021/01/24 03:00:23
    harry1511
    Re: Audio pop/glitch with high interrupt latency 2021/01/24 12:21:19 (permalink)
    timmyboy04
    You mentioned the newest Nvidia driver causes a crash so you had to roll back. Have you tried using DDU in safe mode to completely remove the current driver and start fresh? Corruption is a possibility and that's the only way to be sure it's cleaned out aside from a fresh Windows install. 

Steps:
    • Uninstall Precision X/MSI Afterburner if installed, make sure to select "no" to saving profiles if asked.  Reboot the PC now if you had to uninstall PX or Afterburner.
    • Use DDU (Display driver uninstaller) in safe mode to clean out all your NVIDIA drivers. Use the clean and restart (highly recommended) option.
    • Download & save the most recent graphics driver to your desktop. You can find the most recent graphics driver here.
    • Run the graphics installer located on your desktop once the download is complete.
    • Select NVIDIA graphics driver, select custom advanced install, under custom installation options uncheck all options except graphics driver & physx system software, if you have a 3D capable monitor and would like to use 3D at some point please select both 3D options, check mark perform clean install, then click next to install the driver, reboot when asked.
    -Credit Sajin

Just DDUed Nvidia 460.79 last night in Safe Mode again, and installed 457.51 with just graphic driver and PhysX. I tested through a few hours of using Photoshop, listening music - simulating normal work routine, and saw quite a few spike in LatencyMon, but not high enough to distort my audio (yet). I also bumped the Power Management to "Max Performance" in Nvidia control panel, strictly for Photoshop, this seems be able to control the spike. I will try it again throughout next week with actual daily workload, and see.

I am 100% sure yet, but if this indeed is because the driver dynamically boosts the clock up/down and overtime build up latency, then Nvidia really needs more work on the driver.

Sixtus23
    If it is software related "LatencyMon" will find the lagging/popping Background process.

It mostly points to these: Nvidia driver, or Wdf01000.sys, dxgkrnl.sys, and ntoskrnl.exe

Btw, I wonder if a dedicated soundcard can take off the workload on CPU and eliminate the interrupt (I have been using the onboard soundcard for years, and currently have the SupremeFx onboard) Will it complicate the matter more? If not, I am willing to invest in a dedicated soundcard
    Jump to:
  • Back to Mobile