Audio hiss/hum after upgrading driver to latest version

Author
Veratu
Superclocked Member
  • Total Posts : 154
  • Reward points : 0
  • Ribbons : 1
2019/11/21 22:02:27 (permalink)
I've been running 0.2.0.7 for quite some time with no major issues.  I saw that the crackling audio issue was fixed and upgraded to 0.2.1.2 and now I have a new problem that there is a low volume hum/hiss coming through that wasn't there before at all times, even when no sound is playing.  The part that's really weird is that it happens on SPDIF or the RCA outputs, which I wouldn't expect.  Nothing has changed in my system other than upgrading the driver.

The hum/hiss seems to change when I do things on the computer too, for example if I open a web browser the "load" of the machine working to load the application seems to change the frequency of the hiss.   You might say this may be EMF, and it's possible, but I never had this issue on the previous driver/firmware, so something is amiss.

Downgrading the driver didn't solve the problem either, even after a clean install, which makes me think it's either a firmware issue, or a completely random fluke of nature that happened after upgrading the driver... either way it's annoying as hell now and dampening my sound experience.

19 Replies Related Threads

Cool GTX
    EVGA Forum Moderator
    • Total Posts : 30975
    • Ribbons : 122
    Re: Audio hiss/hum after upgrading driver to latest version 2019/11/22 10:44:37 (permalink)
    Could be a bad ground in your PC or Home

GCFI Receptacle Tester

Learn your way around the EVGA Forums, Rules & limits on new accounts Ultimate Self-Starter Thread For New Members

I am a Volunteer Moderator - not an EVGA employee

https://foldingathome.org -->become a citizen scientist and contribute your compute power to help fight global health threats

RTX Project EVGA X99 FTWK Nibbler EVGA X99 Classified EVGA 3080Ti FTW3 Ultra

unclewall
    • Total Posts : 12
    • Ribbons : 0
    Re: Audio hiss/hum after upgrading driver to latest version 2019/11/22 12:20:55 (permalink)
    I just got my NU last weekend and just installed  0.2.1.2 and I have the same background sound that acts just as you describe, I Had a Asus stx II before this card which when installed in the same slot was very very quiet 
    I also have a problem with the load, default, apply and save buttons they do nothing at and the EQ presets don't seem to work right  
    Other than that its working well
    EVGA_Lee
    • Total Posts : 4247
    • Ribbons : 14
    Re: Audio hiss/hum after upgrading driver to latest version 2019/11/22 15:29:34 (permalink)
    unclewall
    I just got my NU last weekend and just installed  0.2.1.2 and I have the same background sound that acts just as you describe, I Had a Asus stx II before this card which when installed in the same slot was very very quiet 
    I also have a problem with the load, default, apply and save buttons they do nothing at and the EQ presets don't seem to work right  
    Other than that its working well

Load, Default, and Apply do nothing in the NU Audio Software, since all changes are made in real-time (except for a couple settings that have a small delay, intentionally).  It shares the UI skin with our Precision X1 and Unleash RGB software.
    Hoggle
    EVGA Forum Moderator
    • Total Posts : 10101
    • Ribbons : 4
    Re: Audio hiss/hum after upgrading driver to latest version 2019/11/22 16:42:06 (permalink)
    Are all of the speaker cables plugged in tightly? Have you tried other speakers or headphones to see if you still get the hiss/hum sound? What is the source of the audio files that you have been playing and is it local or online?

Use an Associates Code & SAVE 5% - 10% on your purchase. Just click on the associates banner to save, or enter the associates code at checkout on your next purchase. If you choose to use my code I want to personally say "Thank You" for using it. 

Veratu
    Superclocked Member
    Re: Audio hiss/hum after upgrading driver to latest version 2019/11/22 19:58:46 (permalink)
    No issues with ground, my house is brand new, custom, and my studio is 8 feet from the main panel, my PC is on a dedicated circuit as well, and I also use high end power filtration / suppression equipment in my studio for everything.  There is zero issues with interference, ground, etc.  The audio hiss/hum comes on Digital AND RCA outputs, it does not appear to be present on the headphone jack.

Yes my speaker cables are fine, the digital output goes 5 feet to one amp, the RCA's go 3 feet to a different amp so I can flip between speaker sets/amps as needed for my environment.  The speakers are in fixed locations and too haven't changed.  I run plenty of my other gear through them with zero noise/issues. 

Again, my card was perfect, nothing in my environment changed except the driver/firmware update and now I want to throw the card out the window.  
    post edited by Veratu - 2019/11/22 20:01:12
    EVGA_Lee
    • Total Posts : 4247
    • Ribbons : 14
    Re: Audio hiss/hum after upgrading driver to latest version 2019/11/24 22:44:43 (permalink)
    If you use the included RCA to 3.5mm adapter and a pair of headphones, do you get the same noise?
    startekselva
    iCX Member
    • Total Posts : 300
    • Ribbons : 6
    Re: Audio hiss/hum after upgrading driver to latest version 2019/11/25 07:11:04 (permalink)
    try to check the ground loop issue it might be the problem it can be easily fixed

Nicoya
    • Total Posts : 3
    Re: Audio hiss/hum after upgrading driver to latest version 2019/11/25 14:07:27 (permalink)
    I am getting the same issue with the latest firmware. I only hear it through the headphones not on the speakers. No issue prior to the latest firmware
    unclewall
    Re: Audio hiss/hum after upgrading driver to latest version 2019/11/27 08:12:34 (permalink)
    Its not a ground loop the op said it occurred on SPDIF.
    He also said using a web browser changed the sound and only started when using the updated driver
    alexviktorov
    • Total Posts : 4
    Re: Audio hiss/hum after upgrading driver to latest version 2019/11/27 21:19:12 (permalink)
    Is the hiss coming from the speakers/headphones or from the card itself?
    rickb3rg3r
    • Total Posts : 1
    Re: Audio hiss/hum after upgrading driver to latest version 2019/11/28 16:08:30 (permalink)
    Load, Default, and Apply do nothing in the NU Audio Software, since all changes are made in real-time (except for a couple settings that have a small delay, intentionally).  It shares the UI skin with our Precision X1 and Unleash RGB software.

I've been wondering about this ever since I got my card.  This is just dumb.  Please hide controls that don't do anything.
    unclewall
    Re: Audio hiss/hum after upgrading driver to latest version 2019/11/28 19:26:00 (permalink)
    I agree the controls should be hidden
    alexviktorov
    Re: Audio hiss/hum after upgrading driver to latest version 2019/11/29 05:27:11 (permalink)
    in my case the screeching noise on headphones/line out starts when I boot up frostbite engine based games after the new driver updated the card to 0.30 firmware, so it stayed even after I rolled back the drivers. Hence the question above - whether the sound described came from the speakers or the hiss is electric from the card itself. On a side note, does anyone know if firmware can be manually rolled back?
    Tuxedo.
    • Total Posts : 83
    • Ribbons : 2
    Re: Audio hiss/hum after upgrading driver to latest version 2019/11/30 01:33:31 (permalink)
    I have to say, that i have comparable issues with the sound card since the last firmware upgrade.
    When entering Teamspeak 3 (latest version, Win 10 1909), all sounds are really distorted.
    We have a music bot in our TS and you can't understand the music in any way.
    After changing the "Preferred ASIO Buffer Size" from Safe > Not-Safe it is working fine again.
    After changing it back to Safe it is still working fine.
    alexviktorov
    Re: Audio hiss/hum after upgrading driver to latest version 2019/11/30 03:34:59 (permalink)
    I think new firmware might be causing issues
    Veratu
    Superclocked Member
    Re: Audio hiss/hum after upgrading driver to latest version 2019/12/04 23:19:31 (permalink)
    I'm not sure it's the firmware as I force downgraded my card to the previous version of firmware and driver, rebooted my system and the problem still exists.  I'm really at a loss for what's causing this, but it definitely wasn't there before upgrading to the latest driver/firmware.
    DamonLynch
    Superclocked Member
    • Total Posts : 172
    Re: Audio hiss/hum after upgrading driver to latest version 2019/12/05 10:52:06 (permalink)
    If you were able to downgrade the firmware and the driver, and the problem persists, is it possible the most recent firmware damaged the hardware? I don't mean to induce unnecessary fear, but I think the question is worth asking. it's a genuine question — I have no idea myself. Also, does the problem persist if you fully power off the system instead of just rebooting?
    tpayne37664
    • Total Posts : 1
    Re: Audio hiss/hum after upgrading driver to latest version 2020/04/04 03:27:28 (permalink)
    my card is producing a humming noise in the low bass range with rca and headphones out but is fine in spdif. My card updated the software as soon as i plugged it into the speakers. I have tested other sources and the noise is not there on anything playing through the speakers other than the Nu card.
    Exare
    • Total Posts : 2
    Re: Audio hiss/hum after upgrading driver to latest version 2020/04/09 14:22:47 (permalink)
    I can confirm I have had the same problem with 2 different EVGA Nu cards in 3 different PCs. Updating the firmware and the drivers made it worse. While troubleshooting the second card I've tried rolling back drivers 3 or 4 versions but with no luck. After trying different combinations of drivers/firmware I noticed the buzzing lessen in frequency but the sound started clipping in and out periodically (like it was losing connection or something). After one final night of particularly exhausting troubleshooting, now there's no sound from any of the outputs.

The buzzing/hissing/static noise seemed to happen when playing graphically intensive games. When I play Overwatch it's fine, when I play Apex it buzzes intermittently, but when I play Monster Hunter it only doesn't buzz when I'm in the loading screens (3440x1440p monitor). FWIW, I read one review where the reviewer that had the same problem.

I spoke with someone at EVGA and he came to the conclusion that it's some type of interference from my GPUs or PSU. I had the same problem in a 9900k/1080 ti/Gigabyte build, a 3770k/1080 ti/Asus build, and now in my new 3800X/5700 XT/Asrock build (with two different EVGA Nu cards). The only common link between them all was my Corsair AX1200. Admittedly that is an aged PSU with many hours on it, but PSUs degrade very little over time and I'll be darned if I'm going to replace a $350 PSU and $100+ in custom sleeved cables that are perfectly fine when I could spend less on an alternative sound solution. I'll sell the Nu card as-is and swap to an external DAC/AMP combo like the Sennheiser GSX 1200, Schitt Modi/Magni combo stack, or a JDS Labs Element (I or II). This would give my 5700 XT more room to breath considering my mATX board has only 1 free PCI-e slot for the sound card directly under the GPU. Plus overall heat reduction because that Nu card gets TOASTY.

Anyway, sorry to hear you're having trouble. I've been reading a lot about this issue and I've exhausted every avenue I could in troubleshooting it since I purchased the first card last November. When this card works the sound is INCREDIBLE. It destroys anything my old Creative Sound Blaster Z could ever do. But it doesn't work and has never worked reliably for me so it's time to move on.

Nice try, EVGA. I hope you can figure this out because the Nu sound card is freaking amazing sounding. Unfortunately, the reliability is dumpster worthy.

TL;DR
    Had buzzing noise in 3 different PCs with 2 different Nu cards. Only common part was a Corsair AX1200 PSU. PSU interference? Idk. Replacing sound card for external DAC/AMP combo. Too many hours on phone with support and digging through online forums to care anymore. Hope EVGA can fix it bc this card sounds great.
    Jump to:
  • Back to Mobile