EVGA

Attempted to step-up a 3080 Ultra to 3090Ti .. Ended up losing the warranty I paid for ?

Author
aryntha
  • Total Posts : 23
  • Reward points : 0
  • Ribbons : 0
2022/04/28 21:37:57 (permalink)
So I'm trying to corral my upsetness here, and I'm expecting to get a bunch of "you did it wrong" dressing-downs from active folks but; a bit of a backgrounder. I've been buying the highest end cards and power supplies and motherboards from EVGA for no kidding, 20 years. I've had a ton of Titans and Ti versions, and this goes all the way back to the 290 and before. I've never bought a card from someone else, ever, and always directly from EVGA. But that's been harder to do in 2021/2022.

In this wonderfully challenging environment,  I got a new, unopened, direct from EVGA - 3080 ultra from a friend who was in the queue and didn't need the card. I skipped over opportunities for MSI and Asus cards, because I wanted EVGA. Always EVGA. Always told everyone else - only go with EVGA. 

This wasn't a reseller, a scalper, or anything like that. I had been in the queue for a long time with no movement, and when a 3080 ultra, from someone I knew, appeared, I jumped at the chance. The day it was delivered is the day it came into my posession, direct from EVGA, unopened. (In fact his purchase was contingent on me saying 'sure, i'll take it'.)

I registered the card (like I had done, with many other EVGA products over the years) and bought the extended warranty, which I also always do. Used to get EAR when it was a thing. (you guys at EVGA can look in my account right now to see this. It's not just talk. Long history spanning back to the 4800, 5800 and 6800 series, all with EARs and extended warranties...)

When the 3090Ti was announced; I attempted the step up, submitting the invoice from EVGA which my friend gave me along with the card.

That's when things went wrong.

The step up being denied was a disappointment, since again it was a brand new unopened card that I took possesion of the second it arrived directly from EVGA;

(and yes, now, I see the fine print - I hadn't had to deal with that since I always got my cards direct or rarely from Microcenter... This was the first deviation.) 

But the kicker, which seems to just add insult to injury is: I had paid for an extended warranty, earlier, which EVGA took payment for no problem; and now, 20 days later, after my step up authentication came up, EVGA just changed the place purchased to "Secondhand" (it .. really wasn't) and nuked my extended warranty. (Keeping the money of course?)

This is a crazy way to treat a multi-decade repeat purchase customer who just was trying to get a damn card in this absolutely over the top environment. Punishing me for simply buying the extended warranty was really a measure too far. EVGA has been my go-to for something like *20 years*, and now I feel like I don't even want to touch an EVGA product ever again. 

I was even about to buy a 3090Ti outright tonight (it's still in my cart), but then when I noticed that my extended warranty had just been cancelled out of nowhere, with no refund; I sure as heck don't feel comfortable sinking $2200 into a company that just got done basically "fining" me for buying the card wrong. 

I know I'm likely to get lectures that I "did it wrong", "technically it is secondhand", that I "don't need a 3090ti" etc, but seriously why the warranty cancellation without refund double-punch? The invoice I uploaded was even from EVGA, showing the order number. They knew it came from EVGA, and showing date of delivery and my date of registration, that it didn't go through any weird process. It wasn't bought on the street, on ebay, or anything like that. This feels -extremely- heavy handed on what really feels like a technicality. 
post edited by aryntha - 2022/04/28 22:32:41

3 Replies Related Threads

aryntha
    • Total Posts : 23
    Re: Attempted to step-up a 3080 Ultra to 3090Ti .. Ended up losing the warranty I paid for 2022/04/28 22:13:23 (permalink)
    And yeah, reading the fine print now. It looks like EVGA can indeed take your money for an extended warranty and then 20 days later just say "lol, nope, cry more", cancel it and keep the money.

I understand that's written now in the fine print but - man, that's kind of crappy, paying EVGA for absolutely nothing. $80 just went into a void. I'd love to be on the receiving end of that business model. 

I'm done with EVGA now. 20 years as a continued repeat customer and an advocate, and I'm through. Used to be the absolute top in customer service and support, inscrutable even.  It's what got EVGA to what they are today, but I guess now - screw us, for $80. After this "fine/punishment" for getting the card the "wrong way" (but just barely) - EVGA gets to keep my $80, when I was just about to give them $1500 for a step-up and then even after the denial, about to give them $2200 for a 3090ti...    well.. cool guys, lost a customer but at least you got $80 without having to provide anything in return?   I guess the high demand environment of the last two years has emboldened EVGA to say 'nah, we don't need our long time customers. There'll always be over-the-top demand."

Mindboggling.  Hope y'all enjoy my free $80. 
    post edited by aryntha - 2022/04/28 22:28:01
    EVGATech_MatthewC
    EVGA Tech Support
    • Total Posts : 128
    Re: Attempted to step-up a 3080 Ultra to 3090Ti .. Ended up losing the warranty I paid for 2022/04/29 06:31:54 (permalink)
    Hello,

I'm sorry for any confusion. Just to confirm, when the extended warranty was canceled, we started a refund for the full cost you had paid for the warranty. Please allow 7-10 business days for the refund to process and for the funds to be deposited into your account.
    bigredx86
    Superclocked Member
    • Total Posts : 128
    Re: Attempted to step-up a 3080 Ultra to 3090Ti .. Ended up losing the warranty I paid for 2022/04/29 06:36:58 (permalink)
    EVGATech_MatthewC
    Hello,

I'm sorry for any confusion. Just to confirm, when the extended warranty was canceled, we started a refund for the full cost you had paid for the warranty. Please allow 7-10 business days for the refund to process and for the funds to be deposited into your account.

Oh snap, thats customer service right there, lol.

Get up to 10% discounts on all your EVGA purchases if you use my associate code at checkout: RYZ7UG4K0FZZ0CU
    Jump to:
  • Back to Mobile