EVGA

Asus Z9PE-D8 WS and EVGA GTX1070 FTW = Black screens at random

Author
leevmeister
  • Total Posts : 10
  • Reward points : 0
  • Ribbons : 0
2017/03/08 05:47:03 (permalink)
Well this is my first thread on this forum and sadly it's about a issue that is slowly driving me insane.
I have recently bought a Z9PE-D8 WS motherboard from Gold Leader and all went well with the board but my GTX1070 hasn't been liking the board or other way around from the start. In some games like CS:GO and DOOM 2016 (although it's also happened a few times just on my windows desktop) after some time playing I get a black screen followed by loss of input from my both displays that are both hooked up through displayport interfaces.

Generel system specs:

CPU: Intel E5-2637v2 ES/QS (QF8V)
RAM: 8x 8GB Samsung DDR3-1866 ECC REG
GPU: EVGA GTX1070 FTW ACX 3.0
Power supply: EVGA Supernova G2 850W

Nvidia driver version I used was 376.66 (latest driver version, although I've just installed 376.77 Hotfix version.)
What I have tried so far consists of the following with some results:

-First thing I though it was that it was the EVGA VRM overheating issue, did the thermal pad fix, nothing changed at all
-Use AMD HD7850 - No crashes whatsoever, but this is a way older card
-Use GTX970 - Looked stable for a few days but yesterday crashed in the exact same fashion
-Flash back from BIOS 5802 to 5701 - aside from the PCIE 1 slot working in 3.0 speed now this did not change anything.
-Install Nvidia driver bare-bones with only the display and physx driver - did not seem to help at all

So far I've been able to conclude it is not the fault of the Nvidia graphics cards themselves otherwise I wouldn't have had the EXACT same issue with the GTX970. It must be either the motherboard or the drivers.

It's a really annoying issue as I have never had ANY issues with my GTX1070 on my old Gigabyte EX58-UD5 with Xeon X5670. I did not expect to run into a issue with this motherboard at all...

When the black screen issue happens Windows event viewer tells me nvlddmkm crashed and was restored. "restored" would be odd because all USB functions seem to stop working and I have to hard-reset the system. Odd remark is if I'm in teamspeak I can still keep on voice chatting with the people so it's not like the whole system has crashed. Just USB and my displays don't function anymore.

Does anybody have this motherboard or faced similar issues like this before and knows how to solve them? Any help would be greatly appreciated because it is really killing the joy of finally having a dual cpu main computer and it already makes me really regretting the whole decision of doing so :( :(

9 Replies Related Threads

megalolman
    iCX Member
    • Total Posts : 403
    • Ribbons : 4
    Re: Asus Z9PE-D8 WS and EVGA GTX1070 FTW = Black screens at random 2017/03/08 06:45:39 (permalink)
    Hi!

I use the exact same mobo,  paired with two Intel Xeon E5-2680 C2 (No ES versions here, system specs in sig). I use a Gigabyte GTX 1080 and don't have the issues you are describing, so I think the mobo is not the culprit. It worked out of the box.

The problem can be related to your ES CPU. You bought it for this build? Or can you test the CPU in another mobo?
    Another difference is that I'm using standar RAM (Unbuffered DIMMs, no ECC or buffered RAM as in your case). I don't know if that can be a problem with your config.
    Can you run memtest?  Hope it helps.

Succubi-Lair(Main Rig, dual-system) :
         Processor: AMD Ryzen 3900x @ NZXT Kraken x62 Motherboard: Gigabyte Elite X570, Memory: 32GB GSkill TridentZ 3200Mhz C14, Storage: Samsung EVO 960 M.2 NVME 250GB (Windows10 PRO), 2 x Samsung EVO 970 plus M.2 NVME 1TB (2TB Raid 0 array - Games), Graphics: MSI GTX1080 Ti X @ NZXT Kraken x42, Audio: ASUS Xonar DX, PSU: Thermaltake Toughpower Grand RGB 850W, Case: Phanteks Enthoo Evolv X, Second-System (Envy, Ruoting/WIFI AP): Gigabyte GA-J1900N_D3V, 8GB SO_DIMM 1600MHZ DDR3, 120x2 SSD Raid 0, 150W picoPSU @ Phanteks Enthoo Evolv X ITX tray

pcmaster00
    CLASSIFIED Member
    • Total Posts : 2752
    • Ribbons : 51
    Re: Asus Z9PE-D8 WS and EVGA GTX1070 FTW = Black screens at random 2017/03/08 08:56:55 (permalink)
    How old is your GTX1070 FTW?  It sounds a bit like, but not exactly like, the problems that were experienced with the ACX 3.0 coolers.  You can see if you need the thermal mods at http://www.evga.com/thermalmod/

EVGA!!! TAKE CARE OF MY MATES!!!!   Heatware
    Antec Twelve Hundred, Corsair HX1000, GigaByte GA-Z77X-UP5 TH, Intel i7 3770k, 2x EVGA GTX770 2770-KR,
    16GB Corsair Vengance CMZ16GX3M2A1600C9, SSD: 1x OCZ Vertex 3 120GB, 2x 2TB Seagate Barracuda LP,
    All HDDs in trayless bays, 6x LG 24x DVD-RW drives, 3x Acer 22" V223W monitors

Sajin
    EVGA Forum Moderator
    • Total Posts : 49165
    • Ribbons : 199
    Re: Asus Z9PE-D8 WS and EVGA GTX1070 FTW = Black screens at random 2017/03/08 09:17:52 (permalink)
    Are your displayport cables vesa certified? Try setting windows power options to high performance mode along with power management mode inside the nvidia control panel to adaptive under global settings. Does underclocking the card fully using msi afterburner help fix the black screens?

Note: Make sure to reboot your computer after changing power options.
    post edited by Sajin - 2017/03/08 09:20:02
    leevmeister
    Re: Asus Z9PE-D8 WS and EVGA GTX1070 FTW = Black screens at random 2017/03/08 13:20:23 (permalink)
    Thanks for the replies people, I'll try and answer some of the questions you asked.
    megalolman
    The problem can be related to your ES CPU. You bought it for this build? Or can you test the CPU in another mobo?

The CPU's came as a set with the motherboard and were tested by the previous owner as stable but I do not know with which card he tested the board. These CPU's are the exact same stepping (S1) as the production model so I doubt it's a fault of the processor. Sadly I have no other socket 2011 board at my disposal to test the processors in. I am getting some different E5-2670v2 processors in a few weeks so when I still have those issues I could test if the other processors fix the issue. But to be honest I don't think it's the processors (although you never know I guess).

megalolman
    Another difference is that I'm using standar RAM (Unbuffered DIMMs, no ECC or buffered RAM as in your case). I don't know if that can be a problem with your config.
    Can you run memtest?  Hope it helps.

The RAM I'm using is on the QVL so I would say there is no issues there. I could try running memtest just to be sure though. I did receive the motherboard with different ram which was Kingston HyperX Genesis 2133mhz ram, but that wouldn't run higher than 1600mhz on the board due that this is XMP ram. Plus I did experience the exact same issues when the old ram was still installed.

pcmaster00
    How old is your GTX1070 FTW?  It sounds a bit like, but not exactly like, the problems that were experienced with the ACX 3.0 coolers.  You can see if you need the thermal mods at

I had already ordered and received the thermal pad mod by evga but in my old configuration I never had heat issues on the VRM's because my case ( Cooler Master HAF932) has sufficient airflow on and around the card itself. However I did install it after one day of experiencing issues after the upgrade. I also installed the new BIOS with the more aggressive fan profile but to no avail on the actual issue. My card now reaches 54-58C under heavy load by the unigene heaven benchmark for example. The crashes also seem to be unrelated to the actual card temperature as they seem to happen at random.

Sajin
    Are your displayport cables vesa certified? 

To be honest I don't know. The cable going to my main display is a displayport 1.2 cable from the brand Delock. The other is kind of a odd construction of a Displayport to mini displayport which is connected to a mini displayport to VGA converter. This all worked before with no issues on the old rig with the exact same card. I also tried my main screen (Dell U2711) with a DVI-D Dual-Link cable and the same issue also occured.

Sajin
    Try setting windows power options to high performance mode along with power management mode inside the nvidia control panel to adaptive under global settings. Does underclocking the card fully using msi afterburner help fix the black screens?

Note: Make sure to reboot your computer after changing power options.

The high performance mode was already engaged but I did just apply the adaptive power management mode as you said. I have not used MSI afterburner just yet but I have had EVGA XOC installed (but not all the time) to set a manual fan profile because I though that would fix the issue. It didn't. So I uninstalled it and did the bare driver install as suggested in the basic troubleshooting guide you made. No change. Currently XOC is installed again.

Gold Leader
    CLASSIFIED Member
    • Total Posts : 3939
    • Ribbons : 62
    Re: Asus Z9PE-D8 WS and EVGA GTX1070 FTW = Black screens at random 2017/03/08 14:16:52 (permalink)
    Try running your GTX 970 & 1070 @ PCI-E 2.0 x16 speeds, just to see if this has any effect.

Sajin
    EVGA Forum Moderator
    Re: Asus Z9PE-D8 WS and EVGA GTX1070 FTW = Black screens at random 2017/03/08 15:55:46 (permalink)
    Let us know if chaning the power management mode or underclocking the card fully fixes anything.
    leevmeister
    Re: Asus Z9PE-D8 WS and EVGA GTX1070 FTW = Black screens at random 2017/03/27 05:52:43 (permalink)
    Well It's been 3 weeks now and I think I found out what my issue was. So here is a update which is hopefully the final one.
    In the mean time I tried some other stuff.

- I plugged in the EZ plug in the motherboard you normally only need when you run the board with SLI. Had no crashes for like 3 days. After that the black screen issues started again. Almost thought this was the fix, but sadly it wasn't.
    - I also tried running all PCIE ports in Gen2 mode. Did not change the crashing behavior.

At this point I ran at a dead end really. My only option left was wait for the new processors (2x E5-2670v2, QDNR ES chips, 10C/20T each) I ordered. Installed those and to this day I haven't experienced a single crash. At first I was running with the GTX1070 and everything ran fine. At the moment the 1070 is at EVGA with Germany for the ICX step-up so I'm currently running the Asus GTX970 STRIX. Aside from lower performance in some games as it's a slower card I haven't had any crashes.

It's peculiar how the processors were the culprit after all. I did notice on one of the E5-2637v2's there was some a minor pit on one of the processor LGA pins (so on the cpu itself, not the socket on the board). This CPU was in the CPU0 socket so MAYBE this had something to do with the crashing but I still doubt it. Maybe all it took is that the processors needed to be reseated or something.

Anyway, I'm relieved and happy that everything finally seems to run fine. So now I can finally enjoy some nice & stable 2cpu power :)
    Sajin
    EVGA Forum Moderator
    Re: Asus Z9PE-D8 WS and EVGA GTX1070 FTW = Black screens at random 2017/03/27 14:46:55 (permalink)
    leevmeister
    Well It's been 3 weeks now and I think I found out what my issue was. So here is a update which is hopefully the final one.
    In the mean time I tried some other stuff.

- I plugged in the EZ plug in the motherboard you normally only need when you run the board with SLI. Had no crashes for like 3 days. After that the black screen issues started again. Almost thought this was the fix, but sadly it wasn't.
    - I also tried running all PCIE ports in Gen2 mode. Did not change the crashing behavior.

At this point I ran at a dead end really. My only option left was wait for the new processors (2x E5-2670v2, QDNR ES chips, 10C/20T each) I ordered. Installed those and to this day I haven't experienced a single crash. At first I was running with the GTX1070 and everything ran fine. At the moment the 1070 is at EVGA with Germany for the ICX step-up so I'm currently running the Asus GTX970 STRIX. Aside from lower performance in some games as it's a slower card I haven't had any crashes.

It's peculiar how the processors were the culprit after all. I did notice on one of the E5-2637v2's there was some a minor pit on one of the processor LGA pins (so on the cpu itself, not the socket on the board). This CPU was in the CPU0 socket so MAYBE this had something to do with the crashing but I still doubt it. Maybe all it took is that the processors needed to be reseated or something.

Anyway, I'm relieved and happy that everything finally seems to run fine. So now I can finally enjoy some nice & stable 2cpu power :)

megalolman
    iCX Member
    • Total Posts : 403
    • Ribbons : 4
    Re: Asus Z9PE-D8 WS and EVGA GTX1070 FTW = Black screens at random 2017/03/30 05:30:58 (permalink)
    Wellcome to the dual CPU club 

Succubi-Lair(Main Rig, dual-system) :
         Processor: AMD Ryzen 3900x @ NZXT Kraken x62 Motherboard: Gigabyte Elite X570, Memory: 32GB GSkill TridentZ 3200Mhz C14, Storage: Samsung EVO 960 M.2 NVME 250GB (Windows10 PRO), 2 x Samsung EVO 970 plus M.2 NVME 1TB (2TB Raid 0 array - Games), Graphics: MSI GTX1080 Ti X @ NZXT Kraken x42, Audio: ASUS Xonar DX, PSU: Thermaltake Toughpower Grand RGB 850W, Case: Phanteks Enthoo Evolv X, Second-System (Envy, Ruoting/WIFI AP): Gigabyte GA-J1900N_D3V, 8GB SO_DIMM 1600MHZ DDR3, 120x2 SSD Raid 0, 150W picoPSU @ Phanteks Enthoo Evolv X ITX tray

Jump to:
  • Back to Mobile