Page: 12 > Showing page 1 of 2
Author
6dracing
FTW Member
  • Total Posts : 1018
  • Reward points : 0
  • Ribbons : 0
2019/08/02 19:11:00 (permalink)
Well i decided to install a hydrocopper block on my new 2080 super.  All went well with the install but once i fire up any game i get artifacts big time.  I cant even make out the screen.  I can run time spy and fire strike with no issues at all.  Anyone had this issue after installing a water block?  Card ran fine with the air cooler.

My specs are:
i7 5930k
Asus x99 strix - latest bios
32 gb Gskill memory 3000 mhz-
Evga 850 G2 psu
EVGA RTX 2080 super xc ultra.
xspc cpu block
xspc 480 rad -60mm thick
Thermaltake pump/resevoir.

This pc is not overclocked at all.  Again all was well before the installation.  I followed the instructions to a tee so im at a loss here.  Running the latest drivers as well which again worked fine before.
post edited by 6dracing - 2019/08/02 19:25:06

43 Replies Related Threads

GTXJackBauer
    Omnipotent Enthusiast
    • Total Posts : 10323
    • Ribbons : 48
    Re: Artifacting after waterblock install 2019/08/02 20:58:49 (permalink)
    6dracing
    Well i decided to install a hydrocopper block on my new 2080 super.  All went well with the install but once i fire up any game i get artifacts big time.  I cant even make out the screen.  I can run time spy and fire strike with no issues at all.  Anyone had this issue after installing a water block?  Card ran fine with the air cooler.

My specs are:
    i7 5930k
    Evga 850 G2 psu
    xspc cpu block
    xspc 480 rad -60mm thick

This pc is not overclocked at all.  Again all was well before the installation.  I followed the instructions to a tee so im at a loss here.  Running the latest drivers as well which again worked fine before.

Here are some of the things I would try.

- Make sure to have two separate PSU cables powering the GPU.
    - Make sure the bracket was installed dark side facing the PCB during the Hydro Copper installation.
    - Make sure the GPU is seated fully into it's PCIe slot.
    - Try a different DP or HDMI cable.
    - Use DDU and reinstall the new drivers and if problems still persist, try a older version.
    - Last resort, presuming this is a original air cooled 2080 Super, reinstall the air cooler back onto the GPU and test the GPU again.

With all of that said and if problems still persist, I would than proceed to RMA the GPU.  Just make sure it's registered first and foremost. 

Use this Associate Code at your checkouts or follow these instructions for Up to 10% OFF on all your EVGA purchases:
    LMD3DNZM9LGK8GJ
    6dracing
    FTW Member
    Re: Artifacting after waterblock install 2019/08/02 21:05:26 (permalink)
    GTXJackBauer
    6dracing

My specs are:
    i7 5930k
    Evga 850 G2 psu
    xspc cpu block
    xspc 480 rad -60mm thick

Here are some of the things I would try.

- Make sure to have two separate PSU cables powering the GPU.  I have both the 6 pin and the 8 pin in the gpu.
    - Make sure the bracket was installed dark side facing the PCB during the Hydro Copper installation. I watched the evga youtube video and made double sure i installed it correctly
    - Make sure the GPU is seated fully into it's PCIe slot.  Did this multiple times lol.
    - Try a different DP or HDMI cable. I will try this once the wife isnt watching tv anymore (have to steal one)
    - Use DDU and reinstall the new drivers and if problems still persist, try a older version. I will do this as well.
    - Last resort, presuming this is a original air cooled 2080 Super, reinstall the air cooler back onto the GPU and test the GPU again. I dont like you! but if all else fails ill do it.

With all of that said and if problems still persist, I would than proceed to RMA the GPU.  Just make sure it's registered first and foremost. 

I have managed to get bf5 to work however it has some weird glowing type reflections in some scenes.  BF4 is bad still.  Also to note the temps on this are higher than they were on air.  I am getting up to 72 degrees which is flat horrible for a water cooled gpu.

GTXJackBauer
    Omnipotent Enthusiast
    Re: Artifacting after waterblock install 2019/08/02 21:20:24 (permalink)
    I know the pain because I had to do this a handful of times, including draining and refilling again once my GPU finally gave up months later recently.  Probably went through $50+ of premix fluid in total because I would never use the newly drained fluid back into the loop and also bought more for back up so in essence I spent almost $100 on premix fluid. 

They only sell 1 Liter bottles in the states for the fluid I use while a couple of years ago I had bought 5 Liter jug from the EU where it would cost me the same amount for 3 Liter bottles here.  Let's just say overall I wasn't a happy camper. lol
    post edited by GTXJackBauer - 2019/08/02 21:23:29

Use this Associate Code at your checkouts or follow these instructions for Up to 10% OFF on all your EVGA purchases:
    LMD3DNZM9LGK8GJ
    6dracing
    FTW Member
    Re: Artifacting after waterblock install 2019/08/02 21:23:11 (permalink)
    Man i bet.  Glad i just use distilled water with biocide.  I'm glad that i had the card for a week first to test it.  I never had an issue till i installed the block.  Not sure what i could have done to create these issues now but hopefully i can fix it. 

If i RMA will Evga require me to install the air cooler back on first?
    GTXJackBauer
    Omnipotent Enthusiast
    Re: Artifacting after waterblock install 2019/08/02 21:29:39 (permalink)
    6dracing
    Man i bet.  Glad i just use distilled water with biocide.  I'm glad that i had the card for a week first to test it.  I never had an issue till i installed the block.  Not sure what i could have done to create these issues now but hopefully i can fix it. 

I used to use distilled water and a silver biocide and a kill coil or two (I know overkill).  I just got tired of the oxidization it would create on my copper blocks.  Nothing ketchup and a toothbrush with some rinsing and patience couldn't fix but I just got tired and didn't want to go through all of that.  Don't forget, biocide is just for growth while most don't put in the corrosion inhibitors to protect  your different metals in the loop like copper, brass, silver, etc.  Obviously keeping aluminum away is the standard unless you want to utterly destroy a loop.  That's why I said the heck with it since these liquids are the least expensive parts of a loop (as long as you're not constantly draining and refilling...oops!) and it's important to keep the loop around for years to come.  

Yes, when RMAing, you need to send it back the same way it came brand new out of the box, in it's originality.  You can keep everything but just send in the GPU and that it's well padded and protected for shipping, etc.
    post edited by GTXJackBauer - 2019/08/03 12:20:40

LMD3DNZM9LGK8GJ
    6dracing
    FTW Member
    Re: Artifacting after waterblock install 2019/08/02 22:23:34 (permalink)
    I have a silver kill coil in it to. I will pull gpu and reinstall air cooler tomorrow. Since it was flawless before I feel that's my best bet. I'll update after. If it's good then what could cause this with the WB?
    GTXJackBauer
    Omnipotent Enthusiast
    Re: Artifacting after waterblock install 2019/08/02 23:18:48 (permalink)
    6dracing
    I have a silver kill coil in it to. I will pull gpu and reinstall air cooler tomorrow. Since it was flawless before I feel that's my best bet. I'll update after. If it's good then what could cause this with the WB?

I mean if it doesn't work with the air cooler, it would be the GPU but if it does, it could be a number of things as a stated up above about software or cables or what have you.  

LMD3DNZM9LGK8GJ
    sparetimepc
    CLASSIFIED Member
    • Total Posts : 2413
    • Ribbons : 27
    Re: Artifacting after waterblock install 2019/08/03 04:20:19 (permalink)
    Sounds to me like maybe you just didn't get a good seat with the waterblock, make sure you didn't put the gpu bracket on wrong, black surface should be touching the pcb board to prevent short circuit, also when i did mine i noticed that one of the standoffs where they go into the hole on the pcb didn't actually go into the hole and it had the pcb kind of in a bind, i was able to see this before installing the card into the computer so loosened all screws then retightened and the standoff then went into the hole properly. If the card was fine before the block was installed it shouldn't be a power supply problem, going to the waterblock would require less power then running the OEM fan heatsink. If all was good before block install, the problem must be with the installation. 

Vlada011
    Omnipotent Enthusiast
    • Total Posts : 10257
    • Ribbons : 11
    Re: Artifacting after waterblock install 2019/08/03 07:17:44 (permalink)
    I would never used distilled water and biocid and silver coil after all different information and experience of people on net.
    Smell of chemical in premixed fluid give me confidence and I think that's proper choice. I like Premixed and I would not have problem to put same liquid after 24h if I need to drain loop. After few months I would replace, but few days, off course same liquid.

I smell once distilled water after month in PC, terrible, TERRIBLE and I'm happy that strong chemical is inside.
    If someone make from concentrate... instead 900 ml distilled, 700 or 800 ml my advice. 

Mayhem is British brand and make only stuff for liquid cooling PC. Only tubes and liquids and I believe they are OK.
    Special their old coolant X1. Many of their coolants are for specific situations, but X1 is universal and I will continue to use their coolant.  
    When someone change from color to different color or clear then distilled water for flush and their Blitz Pack for cleaning blocks and radiators and new tubes, that's it, nothing else, compression fittings could be washed even in normal water and dry with clothes immediately. 

post edited by Vlada011 - 2019/08/03 07:25:04

i7-5820K 4.5GHz/RVE10-EK Monoblock/Dominator Platinum 2666/ASUS GTX1080Ti Poseidon/SBZxR /Samsung 970 EVO PLus 1TB/850 EVO 1TB /EVGA 1200P2/Lian Li PC-O11WXC/EK XRES D5 Revo 100 Glass/Coolstream PE360-Noctua NF-A12x25 PWM x3
    http://www.evga.com
    http://www.intel.com
    http://www.nvidia.com
    https://watercool.de
    http://www.lian-li.com
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PHMun5xiRe0

https://xdevs.com/guide/2080ti_kpe/#intro
    https://www.evga.com/articles/01386/evga-sr-3-dark/

6dracing
    FTW Member
    Re: Artifacting after waterblock install 2019/08/03 10:33:03 (permalink)
    I pulled the block back off but didnt notice anything abnormal with the screws or standoffs. I did however notice that in the areas where the thermal pads make contact with the GPU it was shiny. Almost like an oily look to it. This is on the PCB. I dont recall seeing this when I removed the air cooler. Anyone else notice this? Is it normal?
    Cool GTX
    EVGA Forum Moderator
    • Total Posts : 30996
    • Ribbons : 122
    Re: Artifacting after waterblock install 2019/08/03 10:41:41 (permalink)
    GTXJackBauer
    I know the pain because I had to do this a handful of times, including draining and refilling again once my GPU finally gave up months later recently.  Probably went through $50+ of premix fluid in total because I would never use the newly drained fluid back into the loop and also bought more for back up so in essence I spent almost $100 on premix fluid. 

They only sell 1 Liter bottles in the states for the fluid I use while a couple of years ago I had bought 5 Liter jug from the EU where it would cost me the same amount for 3 Liter bottles here.  Let's just say overall I wasn't a happy camper. lol

Distilled water is cheap.  Poor the water out & dump your coolant into the clean 1 gallon container

Coffee filter can be used if you suspect any contamination from your loop

Learn your way around the EVGA Forums, Rules & limits on new accounts Ultimate Self-Starter Thread For New Members

I am a Volunteer Moderator - not an EVGA employee

https://foldingathome.org -->become a citizen scientist and contribute your compute power to help fight global health threats

RTX Project EVGA X99 FTWK Nibbler EVGA X99 Classified EVGA 3080Ti FTW3 Ultra

AngryAce
    SSC Member
    • Total Posts : 867
    • Ribbons : 3
    Re: Artifacting after waterblock install 2019/08/03 10:47:13 (permalink)
    I'd just put the air cooler back on after you thoroughly examined the PCB and SMDs for damage then test card. If all checks out, then put the water block back on.

If you got fluid on the PCB and caused a short or something, your RMA will be denied and now have an expensive paper weight.

AngryAce
    SSC Member
    • Total Posts : 867
    • Ribbons : 3
    Re: Artifacting after waterblock install 2019/08/03 10:49:00 (permalink)
    You shouldn't have thermal pads on the GPU itself, just memory chips and VRMs.... but the thermal pads do leave an oily residue sometimes

Cool GTX
    EVGA Forum Moderator
    Re: Artifacting after waterblock install 2019/08/03 10:55:21 (permalink)
    6dracing
    I pulled the block back off but didnt notice anything abnormal with the screws or standoffs. I did however notice that in the areas where the thermal pads make contact with the GPU it was shiny. Almost like an oily look to it. This is on the PCB. I dont recall seeing this when I removed the air cooler. Anyone else notice this? Is it normal?

Silicone oil can be released from thermal pads

Learn your way around the EVGA Forums, Rules & limits on new accounts Ultimate Self-Starter Thread For New Members

https://foldingathome.org -->become a citizen scientist and contribute your compute power to help fight global health threats

Cool GTX
    EVGA Forum Moderator
    Re: Artifacting after waterblock install 2019/08/03 10:59:23 (permalink)
    6dracing
    I can run time spy and fire strike with no issues at all. 
    once i fire up any game i get artifacts big time.  I cant even make out the screen.

Anyone had this issue after installing a water block?  Card ran fine with the air cooler.

I edited your OP quote for Clarity

That is Odd.  What happens if you loop time spy and fire strike several times - maybe 10x ?

Cool GTX
    EVGA Forum Moderator
    Re: Artifacting after waterblock install 2019/08/03 11:02:04 (permalink)
    6dracing

YES

6dracing
    FTW Member
    Re: Artifacting after waterblock install 2019/08/03 12:23:14 (permalink)
    Cool GTX
    6dracing

Silicone oil can be released from thermal pads

this is what i was thinking but wanted expert opinions.
    Thanks GTX always helpful
    6dracing
    FTW Member
    Re: Artifacting after waterblock install 2019/08/03 12:24:37 (permalink)
    UPDATE!
    I reinstalled the air cooler and no issues in any game.  Temps are back to normal and no artifacts.  Not sure what i did wrong but at this point im going to leave it on air for now.  tired of draining and pulling this thing apart. 

With that being said we know now its not drivers, cables or power.  SOOOO what did i do wrong. 

GTXJackBauer
    Omnipotent Enthusiast
    Re: Artifacting after waterblock install 2019/08/03 12:26:49 (permalink)
    6dracing
    I have a silver kill coil in it to. 

I forgot to add, silver biocide (Anti-Growth) is bad on nickle.  If you have any nickle in your loop, you'll want to remove the biocide completely.  EK themselves have warned about using that with their products because it has created the breakdown of the Nickle which resulted in it flaking (breaking apart) off the copper base.

What I use for premixed (Clear) fluid is the Aquacomputer DP Ultra.  Have been using it for a few years now without any issues of oxidization or anything really.  All I'll do is drain and refill annually.

6dracing
    UPDATE!
    I reinstalled the air cooler and no issues in any game.  Temps are back to normal and no artifacts.  Not sure what i did wrong but at this point im going to leave it on air for now.  tired of draining and pulling this thing apart. 

With that being said we know now its not drivers, cables or power.  SOOOO what did i do wrong. 

If I had to guess, that bracket might have been installed improperly.  Some have even removed the bracket all together as another option you can try if you want to try with bracket on again, shiny side up.

LMD3DNZM9LGK8GJ
    sparetimepc
    CLASSIFIED Member
    Re: Artifacting after waterblock install 2019/08/03 12:33:57 (permalink)
    6dracing
    UPDATE!

When it goes to that gpu bracket with the little sticky washers if you tighten it to much the screws can spin and rip the little sticky washers, the screw then could actually ground the gpu bracket via the screw head. The bracket doesn't do much and really just barely snugging it up with the screws is all thats needed, no torque at all. Did you notice how good the contact pattern was on the die and thermal pads, since you have it off look at waterblock die contact area and see how your spread pattern was, and look to see how much of an indent you have on the thermal pads for the memory and vrm's.

6dracing
    FTW Member
    Re: Artifacting after waterblock install 2019/08/03 12:41:44 (permalink)
    I did install it with the gasket to the pcb. I have read where some took it out all together. It seems to be hit and miss with these hydro coppers. Everyone seems to love the EKs....
    6dracing
    FTW Member
    Re: Artifacting after waterblock install 2019/08/03 12:42:32 (permalink)
    dwexpress
    6dracing
    UPDATE!

When it goes to that gpu bracket with the little sticky washers if you tighten it to much the screws can spin and rip the little sticky washers, the screw then could actually ground the gpu bracket via the screw head. The bracket doesn't do much and really just barely snugging it up with the screws is all thats needed, no torque at all. Did you notice how good the contact pattern was on the die and thermal pads, since you have it off look at waterblock die contact area and see how your spread pattern was, and look to see how much of an indent you have on the thermal pads for the memory and vrm's.
    washers? What washers? This may have been my problem. I didnt see any in the box.
    GTXJackBauer
    Omnipotent Enthusiast
    Re: Artifacting after waterblock install 2019/08/03 12:45:34 (permalink)
    They're basically a sticker washer that go between the PCB and the screw.  They come already installed and 4 more as extras.  I used 2 extras because 2 originals got ripped.  All I did was place them over the top and I think I might created some distance and my temps are higher with this GPU by 2c-4c higher than my previous RMA'd GPU so I guess I might have added an unbalance since the newer GPU's voltage was lower than the last.  I need to redo my seating but that won't be for a while since I don't feel like draining and refilling......again! LOL  For the gazillionth time this year.

Anyone know if we truly need these darn stickers or if its ok for the screw to touch the PCB, assuming it's grounded there for this purpose?  EVGA, pls let us know.

LMD3DNZM9LGK8GJ
    6dracing
    FTW Member
    Re: Artifacting after waterblock install 2019/08/03 12:50:31 (permalink)
    Yes I would like to know as well
    sparetimepc
    CLASSIFIED Member
    Re: Artifacting after waterblock install 2019/08/03 12:50:42 (permalink)
    6dracing
    dwexpress
    6dracing
    UPDATE!

washers? What washers? This may have been my problem. I didnt see any in the box.

Yeah there should have been 4 little black sticky washers on a brown paper with all the screws and the gpu bracket, when you put the gpu bracket on with the black side touching the pcb on the other side you put the little black sticky washers between the screw head and the pcb. If you read your directions you should see where it tells you and shows an image i believe,

6dracing
    FTW Member
    Re: Artifacting after waterblock install 2019/08/03 13:10:43 (permalink)
    dwexpress
    6dracing
    dwexpress
    6dracing
    UPDATE!

Yeah there should have been 4 little black sticky washers on a brown paper with all the screws and the gpu bracket, when you put the gpu bracket on with the black side touching the pcb on the other side you put the little black sticky washers between the screw head and the pcb. If you read your directions you should see where it tells you and shows an image i believe,

I watched the evga youtube video on installing it and i dont recall them stating that.   Yes i should have read the instructions...
    6dracing
    FTW Member
    Re: Artifacting after waterblock install 2019/08/03 13:12:07 (permalink)
    GTXJackBauer
    6dracing
    I have a silver kill coil in it to. 

I forgot to add, silver biocide (Anti-Growth) is bad on nickle.  If you have any nickle in your loop, you'll want to remove the biocide completely.  EK themselves have warned about using that with their products because it has created the breakdown of the Nickle which resulted in it flaking (breaking apart) off the copper base.

What I use for premixed (Clear) fluid is the Aquacomputer DP Ultra.  Have been using it for a few years now without any issues of oxidization or anything really.  All I'll do is drain and refill annually.

6dracing
    UPDATE!

If I had to guess, that bracket might have been installed improperly.  Some have even removed the bracket all together as another option you can try if you want to try with bracket on again, shiny side up.

I use PT nuke.  Is that actually biocide?
    ty_ger07
    Insert Custom Title Here
    • Total Posts : 21173
    • Ribbons : 270
    Re: Artifacting after waterblock install 2019/08/03 13:20:45 (permalink)
    6dracing

I use PT nuke.  Is that actually biocide?

Ooooooo.  That stuff is really bad.  PT Nuke fell out of graces quite a while ago.  PT Nuke and Silver Kill Coils are both really bad for nickel plated copper blocks.  In combination, even worse.  EK WB has information on the matter.  I think that the Petras Tech business died partially as a result of the PT Nuke fallout.

These days, the majority would recommend just buying a quality manufactured PC coolant.  A quality coolant should be chemically stable, have corrosion inhibitors, have a low freezing point and a high boiling point, and be resistant to bacterial and fungal growth.

Mixing up your own coolant has become quite unrecommended.  The manufacturer who mixes them up every day for an income is just able to do it far better and has much more knowledge and insight on the matter.

I tried using distilled water with additives in the past.  Fortunately for me, I didn't ruin any water blocks in the process, but I did have problems with gunk growth and needing to flush, and clean, and replace coolant.  I decided to buy some commercial PC coolant, and haven't looked back.  I don't have problems with gunk growth and haven't needed to flush, clean, or replace coolant.  It has become maintenance-free.

Just a 50/50 mix of automotive antifreeze and distilled water would be far better than a mixture of distilled water, PT Nuke, and silver kill coil.
    post edited by ty_ger07 - 2019/08/03 13:27:31

ASRock Z77 • Intel Core i7 3770K • EVGA GTX 1080 • Samsung 850 Pro • Seasonic PRIME 600W Titanium
    My EVGA Score: 1546 • Zero Associates Points • I don't shill

Cool GTX
    EVGA Forum Moderator
    Re: Artifacting after waterblock install 2019/08/03 13:24:16 (permalink)
    GTXJackBauer

Anyone know if we truly need these darn stickers or if its ok for the screw to touch the PCB, assuming it's grounded there for this purpose?  EVGA, pls let us know.

6dracing
    Yes I would like to know as well

Only If the card does not already have them in place

Page: 12 > Showing page 1 of 2
    Jump to:
  • Back to Mobile