Apple Invests $330 Million into Micro-LED Factory

Author
rjohnson11
EVGA Forum Moderator
  • Total Posts : 102241
  • Reward points : 0
  • Ribbons : 84
2020/06/02 03:03:05 (permalink)
https://www.macrumors.com/2020/06/01/apple-invests-330-million-taiwan-micro-led/

The information has been circulating the industry about Apple and its plans to integrate Micro-LED technology into its products for some time now. Micro-LED is a new display technology that allows for much better characteristics of panels like higher brightness, fuller color gamut, and higher dynamic range. The technology also offers a higher refreshing rate, wider viewing angles, and lower power consumption. Being that Micro-LED display is physically thinner, it will allow for more portable devices and it will leave more room for other components.

According to the report from CENS, a Taiwanese media, Apple is investing $330 million into a new Micro-LED factory for Apple devices. A future factory located in Taiwan is seeing major investments from the company. Being that Apple plans to use Micro-LED displays in its future products like iPad Pro and MacBook Pro, it is expected to see this move from them. However, Apple isn't doing it alone. They have partnered with Epistar, Taiwan's biggest LED producer and Taiwanese LCD panel maker, AU Optronics. These two are experienced makers of panels so they should help Apple successfully launch and operate manufacturing facilities.

I'm curious if this will cause other manufacturers to start investing in the same technology. 

AMD Ryzen 9 7950X,  Corsair Mp700 Pro M.2, 64GB Corsair Dominator Titanium DDR5  X670E Steel Legend, MSI RTX 4090 Associate Code: H5U80QBH6BH0AXF. I am NOT an employee of EVGA

2 Replies Related Threads

Hoggle
    EVGA Forum Moderator
    • Total Posts : 10101
    • Ribbons : 4
    Re: Apple Invests $330 Million into Micro-LED Factory 2020/06/02 04:52:23 (permalink)
    It will be interesting to see what comes from it but I am not sure other manufacturers will jump in that quickly. This is of course Apple who can release a $6,000 monitor that has a $999 monitor stand for it. Not to say the Apple monitor isn't a great monitor for high end development but it doesn't have a price that really is going to get a widespread user base.

Use an Associates Code & SAVE 5% - 10% on your purchase. Just click on the associates banner to save, or enter the associates code at checkout on your next purchase. If you choose to use my code I want to personally say "Thank You" for using it. 

Cool GTX
    EVGA Forum Moderator
    • Total Posts : 30974
    • Ribbons : 122
    Re: Apple Invests $330 Million into Micro-LED Factory 2020/06/02 12:38:28 (permalink)
    Apply has a pile of cash ... is this a negotiation tool or IP grab .. will have to wait & see

Funny they dont just build a factory in their biggest market ?

One would think this pandemic would have shined a light on the risks of concentration in Mfg in just one region of the world ... China

Learn your way around the EVGA Forums, Rules & limits on new accounts Ultimate Self-Starter Thread For New Members

I am a Volunteer Moderator - not an EVGA employee

https://foldingathome.org -->become a citizen scientist and contribute your compute power to help fight global health threats

RTX Project EVGA X99 FTWK Nibbler EVGA X99 Classified EVGA 3080Ti FTW3 Ultra

Jump to:
  • Back to Mobile