EVGA

Anyone got a sub to work correctly?

Author
GeJayGe
  • Total Posts : 6
  • Reward points : 0
  • Ribbons : 0
2020/05/22 15:20:13 (permalink)
I'm attempting to set up a 2.1 system, and am having some issues getting my sub to work correctly.  Both of my cards are working correctly - which I can tell by hooking up a set of spare powered speakers to each port and running "Test" - I get the chime for all signals from all ports, so that is good.

The problem comes when I plug an actual powered sub (SACS-9) in and attempt to get it to work.  I get absolutely nothing.  I've confirmed the sub works properly, and have tried multiple cables (which have each also been confirmed independently to work properly) with zero success.

If someone has had success, could you please provide a list of the exact components you used to go from your surround card to the RCA jack on your sub? 

6 Replies Related Threads

EVGATech_LeeM
    EVGA Forum Moderator
    • Total Posts : 1961
    • Ribbons : 14
    Re: Anyone got a sub to work correctly? 2020/05/22 15:50:00 (permalink)
    First of all, which audio card do you have?  Second, which speakers do you have?  Third, what does your replay chain look like once it leaves the card?
    GeJayGe
    Re: Anyone got a sub to work correctly? 2020/05/22 16:02:26 (permalink)
    I have a Nu Audio 7.1 setup with both cards.  I have a pair of Sony SACS-5 bookshelf speakers powered by a FOSI amp, and a Sony SACS-9 powered subwoofer.
    For my speakers I have a RCA to 3.5 mini jack that plugs into my FOSI amp, then has speaker wires going to the speakers.
    For the sub I was trying a 3.5 mini jack to RCA.
    EVGATech_LeeM
    EVGA Forum Moderator
    Re: Anyone got a sub to work correctly? 2020/05/22 16:13:36 (permalink)
    2.1 is only supported via Stereo.  You wouldn't use the C/Sub output on the daughterboard card for 2.1.  You would need to place the speakers in-line with the Sub, or the Sub after the speakers.
    GeJayGe
    Re: Anyone got a sub to work correctly? 2020/05/22 16:26:04 (permalink)
    Copy. I'm surprised that this wouldn't be supported on sick an enthusiast card setup.

When attempting to use the sub plugged in on 5.1 and 7.1 it still doesn't work. How would this need to be wired/connected to function with regular music?

Seems like a sub plugged into a sub port should support regular sub usage for music and regular computer use/gaming.
    EVGATech_LeeM
    EVGA Forum Moderator
    Re: Anyone got a sub to work correctly? 2020/05/22 16:36:59 (permalink)
    GeJayGe
    Copy. I'm surprised that this wouldn't be supported on sick an enthusiast card setup.

When attempting to use the sub plugged in on 5.1 and 7.1 it still doesn't work. How would this need to be wired/connected to function with regular music?

Seems like a sub plugged into a sub port should support regular sub usage for music and regular computer use/gaming.

Are you also connecting a center speaker into the port (by also connecting, I mean using a splitter) for 5.1 or 7.1, or just the sub out? 

Based on my experience, I'd suggest running an RCA Splitter on either White or Red for both the Line-Out and C/Sub with one mono cable from the sub long enough to hook in-line to allow you to switch on-demand, based on your needed configuration.  Let me talk with the audio team to see if we can think of a way to accommodate this configuration.
    GeJayGe
    Re: Anyone got a sub to work correctly? 2020/05/22 17:07:56 (permalink)
    Thanks for your continued followup!

I'm not currently plugging in a center speaker, but likely will use a spare set of powered speakers I have for this.  When plugging this set in directly to the CSUB port the left speaker works as center and the right as the sub.  I would need to run a splitter to divert the left for the center and right for the sub signal.

I can't be alone in thinking that a $300 sound card setup for a PC should support use of a subwoofer for everything that PC audio would generate (using only the CSUB port)... Not just movies specifically in 5.1 or 7.1.
    Jump to:
  • Back to Mobile