EVGA

Anyone else having "Display driver stopped responding but has recovered" with their FTW3

Author
Stackermodder777
  • Total Posts : 37
  • Reward points : 0
  • Ribbons : 0
2017/12/01 22:16:52 (permalink)
Hi everyone, back in late Sep of this year I purchased a new EVGA FTW3 and ever since then I've been getting "Display driver stopped responding but has recovered" errors. This only seems to happen when I'm running Firefox and so far not while in game.

My previous card was a Zotac Founders edition 1070 that I had for almost a year and I never once had Firefox crash while using that card. Literally the only change has been replacing my 1070 with my 1080ti
FTW3. I have not reformatted, the only software change has been installing EVGA Precision X and new Nvidia drivers (I'm running the latest 388.43 drivers).

I've also tried reinstalling new Nvidia drivers with DDU while in safe mode, reinstalling Precision X (after the Nvidia drivers are installed). I even set Firefox to "prefer maximum performance" under program settings in Nvidia's control panel and I set my Win7 PCI Express Link state power management power option to "off".     

The really weird thing is this issue is very sporadic, some days it will only happen once, while other days it will happen multiple times. When it happens my screen blacks out for a second and then pops back with the error. I've been trouble shooting this issue now for almost 3 months and finally I'm reaching out to my fellow EVGA owners here about it.

I should note that my card doesn't OC on the core (at all), it's only stable in game with a default core of 0, this is while on BIOS 2. However at stock core clocks it does seem stable in games (with Vsync on), but yet Firefox randomly causes these driver crashes, I just cant figure out how my 1070 was fine yet my 1080ti is doing this. It's almost like it's on the verge of not being stable even at stock clocks under certain conditions.

My card's core is at default settings, my system specs are as follows.

CPU: 6600k
Mem: 16gb Kingston hyper x 2133
Motherboard: MSI Titanium X-Power z170
Drive: Samsung Pro 128gb SSD for boot drive, 1tb WD HDD for games and programs.
PSU: EVGA Supernova G2 850w Gold
VGA: EVGA 1080ti FTW3

So I'm just wondering if anyone else having "Display driver stopped responding but has recovered" with their FTW3 while in Firefox?

post edited by Stackermodder777 - 2017/12/13 03:11:16

Attached Image(s)

24 Replies Related Threads

HeavyHemi
    Insert Custom Title Here
    • Total Posts : 15665
    • Ribbons : 135
    Re: Anyone else having "Display driver stopped responding but has recovered" with their FT 2017/12/01 22:27:00 (permalink)
    Stackermodder777
    Hi everyone, back in late Sep of this year I purchased a new EVGA FTW3 and ever since then I've been getting "Display driver stopped responding but has recovered" errors. This only seems to happen when I'm running Firefox and so far not while in game.

My previous card was a Zotac Founders edition 1070 that I had for almost a year and I never once had Firefox crash while using that card. Literally the only change has been replacing my 1070 with my 1080ti
    FTW3. I have not reformatted, the only software change has been installing EVGA Precision X and new Nvidia drivers (I'm running the latest 388.43 drivers).

I've also tried reinstalling new Nvidia drivers with DDU while in safe mode, reinstalling Precision X (after the Nvidia drivers are installed). I even set Firefox to "prefer maximum performance" under program settings in Nvidia's control panel and I set my Win7 PCI Express Link state power management power option to "off".     

The really weird thing is this issue is very sporadic, some days it will only happen once, while other days it will happen multiple times. When it happens my screen blacks out for a second and then pops back with the error. I've been trouble shooting this issue now for almost 3 months and finally I'm reaching out to my fellow EVGA owners here about it.

I should note that my card doesn't OC on the core (at all), it's only stable in game with a default core of 0, this is while on BIOS 2. However at stock core clocks it does seem stable in games, but yet Firefox randomly causes these driver crashes, I just cant figure out how my 1070 was fine yet my 1080ti is doing this. It's almost like it's on the verge of not being stable even at stock clocks under certain conditions.

My card's core is at default settings, my system specs are as follows.

CPU: 6600k
    Mem: 16gb Kingston hyper x 2133
    Motherboard: MSI Titanium X-Power z170
    Drive: Samsung Pro 128gb SSD for boot drive, 1tb WD HDD for games and programs.
    PSU: EVGA Supernova G2 850w Gold
    VGA: EVGA 1080ti FTW3

So I'm just wondering if anyone else having "Display driver stopped responding but has recovered" with their FTW3 while in Firefox?

For testing in the Nvidia Control Panel, you can trying setting 'Debug Mode' on. It's under the Help menu. This will reduce the boost clocks on your GPU to stock versus the FTW clocks. If it reduces or eliminates the crashing, this would indicate your GPU isn't stable at FTW clocks.

EVGA X99 FTWK / i7 6850K @ 4.5ghz / RTX 3080Ti FTW Ultra / 32GB Corsair LPX 3600mhz / Samsung 850Pro 256GB / Be Quiet BN516 Straight Power 12-1000w 80 Plus Platinum / Window 10 Pro

Stackermodder777
    Re: Anyone else having "Display driver stopped responding but has recovered" with their FT 2017/12/01 22:48:18 (permalink)
    Thanks for that info HeavyHemi that's one thing I haven't tried. I just found that option in Nvidia's control panel and it is now enabled. If this fixes the issue I'll report back.

If it does fix this issue, is this something the card should be RMA'd for?

AHowes
    CLASSIFIED ULTRA Member
    • Total Posts : 6681
    • Ribbons : 27
    Re: Anyone else having "Display driver stopped responding but has recovered" with their FT 2017/12/01 23:15:28 (permalink)
    Could.be the newest driver and Firefox not getting along. I think I'm on the 388.0 drivers and it experienced thst error your taking about in years.

I know.its annoying no doubt.

If it's not happening in g sming it's pretty safe to assume the card is not defective.

Maybe try an older driver.. say 385.41. See if it happends on that.

Intel i9 9900K @ 5.2Ghz Single HUGE Custom Water Loop.
    Asus Z390 ROG Extreme XI MB
    G.Skill Trident Z 32GB (4x8GB) 4266MHz DDR4 
    EVGA 2080ti K|NGP|N w/ Hydro Copper block.  
    34" Dell Alienware AW3418DW 1440 Ultra Wide GSync Monitor
    Thermaltake Core P7 Modded w/ 2x EK Dual D5 pump top,2 x EK XE 480 2X 360 rads.1 Corsair 520 Rad.
    Stackermodder777
    Re: Anyone else having "Display driver stopped responding but has recovered" with their FT 2017/12/01 23:54:02 (permalink)
    AHowes
    Could.be the newest driver and Firefox not getting along. I think I'm on the 388.0 drivers and it experienced thst error your taking about in years.

If it's not happening in g sming it's pretty safe to assume the card is not defective.

The problem with trying older drivers is BF1 forced me to update my display driver, in fact I think I was running 385.41 for a while and then EA decided they would start forcing people to update. Also, going back to an old driver would cause all of my desktop folders to be rearranged, and with about 50 folders and files on my desktop pertaining to my schooling, all of which are neatly organized, that's a huge pain in the butt.

I'm tempted to buy another small SSD and Win10 just so I can have another OS to compare and trouble shoot with. I'm thinking this issue has something to do with switching back and forth from low power states while in Firefox. I also noticed this issue occurring when viewing PDF files.

But thx for the tip AHowes, for now I'm going to see if enabling "Debug mode" in Nvidia's control panel works. If it still fails then I might try going back to the older driver as suggested. But if it is the newer drivers causing this problem, then I would suspect this forum would be inundated with folks having similar issues.   

post edited by Stackermodder777 - 2017/12/02 00:27:17
    HeavyHemi
    Insert Custom Title Here
    Re: Anyone else having "Display driver stopped responding but has recovered" with their FT 2017/12/02 00:19:20 (permalink)
    Stackermodder777
    AHowes

The problem with trying older drivers is BF1 forced me to update my display driver, in fact I think I was running 385.41 for a while and then EA decided they would start forcing people to update. Also, going back to an old driver would cause all of my desktop folders to be rearranged, and with about 50 folders and files on my desktop pertaining to my schooling, all of which are neatly organized, that's a huge pain in the butt.

I'm tempted to buy another small SSD and Win10 just so I can have another OS to compare and trouble shoot with. I'm thinking this issue has something to do when switching back and forth from low power states while in Firefox. I also noticed this issue occurring when viewing PDF files.

But thx for the tip AHowes, for now I'm going to see if enabling "Debug mode" in Nvidia's control panel works. If it still fails then I might try going back to the older driver as suggested. But if it is the newer drivers causing this problem, then I would suspect this forum would be inundated with folks having similar issues.   

If I understand you correctly you're on Windows 7? I used to have the occasional black crash with FF. What version of FF are you using? Also, you can disable hardware acceleration in Fire Fox in Preferences.

EVGA X99 FTWK / i7 6850K @ 4.5ghz / RTX 3080Ti FTW Ultra / 32GB Corsair LPX 3600mhz / Samsung 850Pro 256GB / Be Quiet BN516 Straight Power 12-1000w 80 Plus Platinum / Window 10 Pro

Stackermodder777
    Re: Anyone else having "Display driver stopped responding but has recovered" with their FT 2017/12/02 00:43:16 (permalink)

If I understand you correctly you're on Windows 7? I used to have the occasional black crash with FF. What version of FF are you using? Also, you can disable hardware acceleration in Fire Fox in Preferences.

Yes I'm on Win7 home 64bit, I'm currently using FF vr 57.0

I did try disabling hardware acceleration once in FF Preferences before, but I noticed screen tearing with it off, especially when viewing videos and when scrolling, kind of similar to V-sync being off in games.

I will try leaving is disabled though just for trouble shooting, what I don't get is why my 1070 was fine with all of this enabled, and why isn't anyone else having this issue with new drivers and FireFox and hardware acceleration if that is in fact causing my issue.

If anyone else is reading this and is running Win7 with a 1080ti on relatively new drivers, please let me know if you are having this issue too.

And Thx again for the help guys, I'll report back with my findings soon. Like I was saying in my first post, this is a sporadic issue, so it could be a day or two before it happens again.
    HeavyHemi
    Insert Custom Title Here
    Re: Anyone else having "Display driver stopped responding but has recovered" with their FT 2017/12/02 11:36:21 (permalink)
    Stackermodder777

Yes I'm on Win7 home 64bit, I'm currently using FF vr 57.0

I did try disabling hardware acceleration once in FF Preferences before, but I noticed screen tearing with it off, especially when viewing videos and when scrolling, kind of similar to V-sync being off in games.

I will try leaving is disabled though just for trouble shooting, what I don't get is why my 1070 was fine with all of this enabled, and why isn't anyone else having this issue with new drivers and FireFox and hardware acceleration if that is in fact causing my issue.

If anyone else is reading this and is running Win7 with a 1080ti on relatively new drivers, please let me know if you are having this issue too.

And Thx again for the help guys, I'll report back with my findings soon. Like I was saying in my first post, this is a sporadic issue, so it could be a day or two before it happens again.

FF is known to cause crash issues. If FF is the only program that you are seeing this issue on then, I would consider it a FF issue. FF is updated so much it's hard to say if they reintroduced a crash with a newer version sicne you had the 1070 installed. It seems to go in cycles. I still have the occasional 1 second or so black screen on FF that doesn't even show up in error logs. This is Win 10 running FF developer edition. No other program does it.
    post edited by HeavyHemi - 2017/12/02 14:10:58

Markck
    • Total Posts : 1
    Re: Anyone else having "Display driver stopped responding but has recovered" with their FT 2017/12/02 12:22:13 (permalink)
    I too was having the same problem with the screen going black and occasionally, but not always, getting a message that the driver (vr 388.13 and then vr 388.31) had failed but had recovered. At the time I had FF vr 57.0.0 running on Win7 Pro 64 bit. Updated the NVIDIA driver to vr 388.43 and FF to vr 57.0.1 and everything has been running good. Oh, I'm using a GTX 1050 Ti SC.
    Stackermodder777
    Re: Anyone else having "Display driver stopped responding but has recovered" with their FT 2017/12/02 17:49:04 (permalink)
    Well it did it again late last night, this time the display driver stopped responding while having Nvidia's "Debug mode" enabled, so it's looking like it may not be the cards fault after all, which I'm thankful for because I really didn't want to have to RMA it.

Now the issue is, I don't seem to be getting driver crashes in Firefox with Hardware Accelerator disabled, but the screen tearing I get with it off is unbearable. So I've started using Google Chrome, which also uses Hardware Accelerator; but my hope is that Hardware Accelerator is going to be stable with Google Chrome. 

I'll let you guys know if the driver crash happens in Google Chrome, if it does then I may very well have to live without using Hardware Accelerator and dealing with the screen tearing. I also tried forcing both Firefox and Google Chrome to use V-sync in the Nvidia control panel while have Hardware Accelerator disabled and I still get the screen tearing in both programs with Hardware Accelerator off. So fingers crossed Google Chrome is stable with Hardware Accelerator enabled.       
    post edited by Stackermodder777 - 2017/12/02 17:52:22
    squall-leonhart
    CLASSIFIED Member
    • Total Posts : 2904
    • Ribbons : 24
    Re: Anyone else having "Display driver stopped responding but has recovered" with their FT 2017/12/03 09:51:20 (permalink)
    HeavyHemi
    FF is known to cause crash issues.

no it isn't.
    Bad hardware and drivers are the cause of DMA-heavy related TDR's.

R387  family have introduced TDR's for users where there previously wasn't any.

I still have the occasional 1 second or so black screen on FF that doesn't even show up in error logs.

All TDR's are logged as such, any black screens without a logged error are due to automatic content type switching.

Stackermodder777
    Well it did it again late last night, this time the display driver stopped responding while having Nvidia's "Debug mode" enabled, so it's looking like it may not be the cards fault after all, which I'm thankful for because I really didn't want to have to RMA it.

It's not a P-state related TDR, image decoding is screwing up in the nvidia driver on windows 7 since at least 388.00.
    Usually these would be pegged as unstable RAM settings, but i've gone over mine multiple times and the only thing that provokes this issue is the 388 driver.

368 through to 385 are safe.

previous topic https://forums.evga.com/R...-m2730277.aspx#2730277

Watchdog dumps are requested

https://forums.geforce.co...drs-/?offset=2#5252005

I also tried forcing both Firefox and Google Chrome to use V-sync in the Nvidia control panel while have Hardware Accelerator disabled and I still get the screen tearing in both programs with Hardware Accelerator off. So fingers crossed Google Chrome is stable with Hardware Accelerator enabled.

the software renderer has no concept of vertical sync, it will tear regardless of vsync state, compositor state, etc.
    post edited by squall-leonhart - 2017/12/03 10:03:26

CPU:Intel Xeon x5690 @ 4.2Ghz, Mainboard:Asus Rampage III Extreme, Memory:48GB Corsair Vengeance LP 1600
    Video:EVGA Geforce GTX 1080 Founders Edition, NVidia Geforce GTX 1060 Founders Edition
    Monitor:BenQ G2400WD, BenQ BL2211, Sound:Creative XFI Titanium Fatal1ty Pro
    SDD:Crucial MX300 275, Crucial MX300 525, Crucial MX300 1000
    HDD:500GB Spinpoint F3, 1TB WD Black, 2TB WD Red, 1TB WD Black
    Case:NZXT Phantom 820, PSU:Seasonic X-850, OS:Windows 7 SP1
    Cooler: ThermalRight Silver Arrow IB-E Extreme
    Stackermodder777
    Re: Anyone else having "Display driver stopped responding but has recovered" with their FT 2017/12/03 23:19:00 (permalink)

It's not a P-state related TDR, image decoding is screwing up in the nvidia driver on windows 7 since at least 388.00.
    Usually these would be pegged as unstable RAM settings, but i've gone over mine multiple times and the only thing that provokes this issue is the 388 driver.

368 through to 385 are safe.

Watchdog dumps are requested

I also tried forcing both Firefox and Google Chrome to use V-sync in the Nvidia control panel while have Hardware Accelerator disabled and I still get the screen tearing in both programs with Hardware Accelerator off. So fingers crossed Google Chrome is stable with Hardware Accelerator enabled.

the software renderer has no concept of vertical sync, it will tear regardless of vsync state, compositor state, etc.

Thanks squakk-leonhart, I wasn't sure if V-sync actually effected scrolling and video formats or not, it's also good to know it's not P-state related.

And just when I thought Google Chrome was stable with Hardware Accelerator on, it too crashed latter on in the day with the same damn error I've been getting with FF. I'm really starting to think this is due to the 388 drivers. I remember I was running older 37X drivers with my 1070 with absolutely ZERO issues.

When I installed my 1080ti I updated to the latest drivers thinking my shiny new 1080ti would run better with them, and because BF1 refused to launch one day without updating the drivers. But now it seems I shouldn't have tried fixing that which wasn't broke.

I'm going back to 385 drivers, guess I'll just have to suck it up and reorganize my desktop after all. As for BF1, screw it!

I'll post back as to whether or not the older drivers fix my issue, thx again to everyone who commented. 
    post edited by Stackermodder777 - 2017/12/04 02:06:08
    HeavyHemi
    Insert Custom Title Here
    Re: Anyone else having "Display driver stopped responding but has recovered" with their FT 2017/12/03 23:53:03 (permalink)
    squall-leonhart
    HeavyHemi

no it isn't.

You should tell all those logged crashes fixed by Mozilla. The even have an integrated crash reporting  scheme. My hardware and drivers are fine, thanks.

https://support.mozilla.o...t-prevent-and-get-help

Cool GTX
    EVGA Forum Moderator
    • Total Posts : 30963
    • Ribbons : 122
    Re: Anyone else having "Display driver stopped responding but has recovered" with their FT 2017/12/03 23:55:19 (permalink)
    I am not having any issues with either of my 1080 Ti FTW3 Hybrid cards running on a Windows 7 Pro 64bit machine - I'm using Nvidia driver 378.92

I have been disabling hardware acceleration in my FF browser for a long time - seem to have been an issue for a while with many browsers

Learn your way around the EVGA Forums, Rules & limits on new accounts Ultimate Self-Starter Thread For New Members

I am a Volunteer Moderator - not an EVGA employee

https://foldingathome.org -->become a citizen scientist and contribute your compute power to help fight global health threats

RTX Project EVGA X99 FTWK Nibbler EVGA X99 Classified EVGA 3080Ti FTW3 Ultra

Stackermodder777
    Re: Anyone else having "Display driver stopped responding but has recovered" with their FT 2017/12/04 01:58:55 (permalink)
    Cool GTX
    I am not having any issues with either of my 1080 Ti FTW3 Hybrid cards running on a Windows 7 Pro 64bit machine - I'm using Nvidia driver 378.92

I have been disabling hardware acceleration in my FF browser for a long time - seem to have been an issue for a while with many browsers

With hardware accelerator off are you getting tearing while scrolling or when viewing videos on YouTube etc? Did you have a full on driver crash to black screen crash then recovery when hardware accelerator was on?

I just finished completely uninstalling the 388.43 drivers and reinstalling (while using DDU in safe mode) the older 384.94 drivers. 

Again I never had display driver crashes in game or while browsing with my 1070. My hope is returning back to the older driver resolves it, because having hardware accelerator on is the only way I can scroll and watch YouTube videos without a crazy amount of screen tearing.

If it crashes with the freshly installed "old" drivers I'll report back asap.
    post edited by Stackermodder777 - 2017/12/04 02:01:24
    squall-leonhart
    CLASSIFIED Member
    Re: Anyone else having "Display driver stopped responding but has recovered" with their FT 2017/12/04 08:37:45 (permalink)
    HeavyHemi
    squall-leonhart
    HeavyHemi

no it isn't.

You should tell all those logged crashes fixed by Mozilla. The even have an integrated crash reporting  scheme. My hardware and drivers are fine, thanks.

https://support.mozilla.o...t-prevent-and-get-help

I don't have to tell them anything, the TDR's when web browsing are the result of an unstable hardware, through either drivers or hardware environment.
    The developer of the gpu accelerated backend has strongly pointed out that Firefox can only cause issues on a system that isn't in a fully stable state.

You don't know whether either are fine because you can't prove the absence of an issue.

Point is, i went from a stable heavy browsing session with multiple firefox processes open on 368-385, and all went to hell on 387.

So in this case, I do know that an issue has been introduced with drivers, because I have the logged data to back it.

When your computer is fully stable, you should be able to run multiple 3d apps with a gpu and cpu stressed out, and only have a problem closing them due to resource contention and your mouse is skipping all over the screen. Not a crash.

Stackermodder777

With hardware accelerator off are you getting tearing while scrolling or when viewing videos on YouTube etc? Did you have a full on driver crash to black screen crash then recovery when hardware accelerator was on?

I just finished completely uninstalling the 388.43 drivers and reinstalling (while using DDU in safe mode) the older 384.94 drivers. 

Again I never had display driver crashes in game or while browsing with my 1070. My hope is returning back to the older driver resolves it, because having hardware accelerator on is the only way I can scroll and watch YouTube videos without a crazy amount of screen tearing.

If it crashes with the freshly installed "old" drivers I'll report back asap.

Cool GTX

Accelerated web browers can do intensive things, but the stability issue came down to clock domain voltage transition flaws, defect in the driver, or unusual RAM corruption (Vista TDRs often came down to memory timings remember).

You should not have any issues with that driver you are running and hardware acceleration, 
    What you are giving up with acceleration disabled is video and image decoding via the gpu. (4k is a monster on the cpu)

CPU:Intel Xeon x5690 @ 4.2Ghz, Mainboard:Asus Rampage III Extreme, Memory:48GB Corsair Vengeance LP 1600
    Video:EVGA Geforce GTX 1080 Founders Edition, NVidia Geforce GTX 1060 Founders Edition
    Cool GTX
    EVGA Forum Moderator
    • Total Posts : 30963
    • Ribbons : 122
    Re: Anyone else having "Display driver stopped responding but has recovered" with their FT 2017/12/04 11:53:13 (permalink)
    I'm Folding   24x7 on the 1080 Ti FTW3 Hybrid cards running on a Windows 7 Pro 64bit machine

Rock solid No issues

Learn your way around the EVGA Forums, Rules & limits on new accounts Ultimate Self-Starter Thread For New Members

I am a Volunteer Moderator - not an EVGA employee

https://foldingathome.org -->become a citizen scientist and contribute your compute power to help fight global health threats

RTX Project EVGA X99 FTWK Nibbler EVGA X99 Classified EVGA 3080Ti FTW3 Ultra

squall-leonhart
    CLASSIFIED Member
    Re: Anyone else having "Display driver stopped responding but has recovered" with their FT 2017/12/04 12:10:48 (permalink)
    Thats good, I had the same experience, with acceleration working fine with my previous 680 and this machine till 388.13 with my cards.

I have 2 different pascal gpu's, and both are suddenly unstable with web browers?  It's not the hardware here.  Heck im running star citizen 3.x on the ptu and getting variant 40 - 99% cpu usage (the game still processes actions on say, delamar while you're at the first spawn station :p)

I mainly stick to the developer firefox builds, and had no issues from when i jumped from 44 to 53, through 56 with acceleration, now it does?.

I've noticed a thing in the release notes that might be relevant to the issue,  Currently there is a known bug where the driver crashes when  running heaven 4.x and playing a video,  given that video decoding has highly similar driver usage as the image decoders  it might be one and the same.

Will have to wait and see, but i'll throw all the live kernel logs at nvidia that i manage to obtain.
    post edited by squall-leonhart - 2017/12/04 12:14:00

Stackermodder777
    Re: Anyone else having "Display driver stopped responding but has recovered" with their FT 2017/12/05 18:21:09 (permalink)
    Well I have good news to report, it's been about a day and a half since I switched back to the older 384.94 drivers and I have yet to have one driver failure with hardware accelerator on. I've tried provoking this issue by having multiple tabs of FF and Chrome open all while scrolling through PDF's while moving other 3D applications around on my desktop and it seems stable.

I also switch Precision X back to 6.1.16 due to the new LED system having a bug and now everything is back to perfect.

So it would seem my issue was resolved after all by the folks who suggested rolling back my drivers, thanks again for the tips guys! If anyone else is having drivers crashes with Win7/64 while browsing FF or Chrome, the fix is either rolling back to older Nvidia drivers, or dealing with hardware accelerator being turned off.

My only issue now is BF1 no longer launches, what the heck was EA/DICE thinking about when they thought it would be a good idea to force people to update their drivers...

On a side note, I also have a Win10 laptop running a GTX 960m, that thing is rock solid with the newest Nvidia 388+ drivers, so it seems this may only be an issue with the newest drivers and Win7.
    post edited by Stackermodder777 - 2017/12/13 03:08:55
    Sajin
    EVGA Forum Moderator
    • Total Posts : 49162
    • Ribbons : 199
    Re: Anyone else having "Display driver stopped responding but has recovered" with their FT 2017/12/05 18:25:38 (permalink)
    Stackermodder777
    My only issue now is BF1 no longer launches, what the heck was EA/DICE thinking about when they thought it would be a good idea to force people to update their drivers...

https://forums.evga.com/FindPost/2713074
    squall-leonhart
    CLASSIFIED Member
    Re: Anyone else having "Display driver stopped responding but has recovered" with their FT 2017/12/05 18:34:29 (permalink)
    yeah, that reddit post, also i think theres a batch file you can use to run that flips the name of the nvapi64 file.

sensor apps that need it to run can have a copy dropped in their directory.

Stackermodder777
    Re: Anyone else having "Display driver stopped responding but has recovered" with their FT 2017/12/05 18:36:59 (permalink)
    Sajin
    Stackermodder777

https://forums.evga.com/FindPost/2713074

Thx Sajin, but I already knew about that fix. However I don't really consider that method to be a fix because it disabled the Nvidia control panel for me with the next reboot, everything started crashing until I put the file name back to the way it was. Quite frankly this was an inconsiderate and dumb decision on EA/DICE's part and I'm done with BF1 because of it. 
    Stackermodder777
    Re: Anyone else having "Display driver stopped responding but has recovered" with their FT 2017/12/06 00:15:10 (permalink)
    Fun fact, BF1 now seems to be working with older drivers installed without having to rename the nvapi64.dll file.

For giggles I decided to click in BF1 just in case the 1-1,000,000 chance occurred that EA/DICE finally listened to their pissed of customers and removed the update requirement, and lo and behold the game loaded on my old 384.94 drivers...This did not happen before.

So yeah, now my computer is fully stable AND I'm able to play BF1 again, happy camper here  
    post edited by Stackermodder777 - 2017/12/06 00:31:29
    Sajin
    EVGA Forum Moderator
    • Total Posts : 49162
    • Ribbons : 199
    Re: Anyone else having "Display driver stopped responding but has recovered" with their FT 2017/12/06 00:18:41 (permalink)

squall-leonhart
    CLASSIFIED Member
    Re: Anyone else having "Display driver stopped responding but has recovered" with their FT 2017/12/06 11:11:58 (permalink)
    assuming you haven't already, post some feedback to nvidia.custhelp.com  and upload the livekernelevent\watchdog\ mini dumps

Jump to:
  • Back to Mobile